Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump says civilian government employees won't receive raises in 2019, citing budget strain

Trump says civilian government employees won't receive raises in 2019, citing budget strain

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/30/trum...s-in-2019.html

Meanwhile the tax cuts will be adding $1 trillion to the debt over the next ten years. The wall he wants will also cost more than this will save. Seems to be a political move before the upcoming elections- claiming to reduce spending while the deficits soar. This will almost offset his increases in military spending. The 2019 deficit is expected to top $1 trillion so "fiscal responsibility" is a long ways off.

President Donald Trump said Thursday that civilian employees of the federal government will not receive raises in 2019.

In doing away with the 2.1 percent across-the-board pay increase that was scheduled to take effect in January, Trump said he was working "put our Nation on a fiscally sustainable course."

Scrapping the raises will save more than $25 billion, Trump said.

"I have determined that for 2019, both across the board pay increases and locality pay increases will be set at zero," the president said in a letter addressed to Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, R-WI, and released by the White House. "These alternative pay plan decisions will not materially affect our ability to attract and retain a well qualified Federal workforce."

Congress could still authorize a raise despite Trump's letter. Lawmakers have yet to reach an agreement, and have until the end of the year to do so.

The Trump administration proposed $143.5 billion in cuts to federal employee compensation in May, including substantial decreases in retirement funding. Also that month, Trump signed three executive orders that made it easier to fire civilian employees and put new limits on union activity. A federal judge invalidated many of the provisions in those executive orders on Saturday.

In contrast to civilian employees, troops are due for a 2.6 percent pay increase next year. Trump has touted the military pay bump, which was authorized by a giant $716 billion defense bill he signed earlier this month.

Trump has promised that he would reduce the federal deficit and balance the nation's budget, though his administration's policies have largely done the opposite. The president's tax and spending reforms are slated to add more than $1 trillion to the deficit over ten years, according to government figures. Supporters of the president's tax plan claimed the bill would pay for itself.

The politics of the pay freeze could be dicey. While the president has railed against the Washington "swamp," less than 20 percent of the nation's nearly 2 million civilian full-time federal employees live in the D.C. metropolitan area, according to the Office of Personnel Management.
    The move could also further imperil Rep. Barbara Comstock, R-VA., a vulnerable incumbent whose district is home to tens of thousands of government employees. In a statement, Comstock said that that she would attempt to re-instate the pay increase through legislative action.

The government "cannot balance the budget on the backs of our federal employees," she said.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-30-2018 at 03:58 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good, now let's cut their pay and fire most of them!
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

tax cuts and cutting spending, nice! Thanks Zippy.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-bud...han-last-year/

U.S. budget deficit this year already 21% higher than last year

August 10, 2018

The federal government racked up a $76.9 billion deficit in July, with increased government spending and tax cuts keeping the country on track to record its biggest annual deficit in six years.

The Treasury Department reported Friday that in the first 10 months of this budget year:

The deficit totaled $684 billion, up 20.8 percent from the same period last year.

Revenues are up only 1 percent this year, the increase held back by a big drop in corporate tax payments.

Spending is up 4.4 percent, reflecting a big boost Congress approved earlier this year for domestic and military programs and the rising costs of financing the debt.

The Trump administration last month sharply revised upward its deficit estimates, projecting annual deficits will once again top $1 trillion in the 2019 budget year, climbing to $1.1 trillion, and remaining above $1 trillion for three years.

For the current budget year, which ends Sept. 30, the administration is now projecting a deficit of $890 billion. That would be up 33.7 percent from last year's deficit of $665.8 billion.
    Last time we had $1 trillion deficits was during the Great Recession. They had fallen to just over $400 billion but have been soaring again.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-30-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^^^^^^

5 Stars
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^^^^^^

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Trump Announces Pay Increase Freeze for Federal CIVILIAN Employees

https://www.theepochtimes.com/trump-...s_2637404.html

President Donald Trump announced on Aug. 30 that to save taxpayers money pay increases for federal employees will not go into effect as they were slated to in January 2019.

Under the current law, federal employees would have gotten an across-the-board increase of 2.1 percent starting in January 2019. Employees who also get a percentage added on based on their location will not see an average 26 percent increase to their locality pay in the new year, which would have cost the federal government an estimated $25 billion.

“We must maintain efforts to put our nation on a fiscally sustainable course, and federal agency budgets cannot sustain such increases,” Trump wrote in a letter to members of Congress. “Accordingly, I have determined that it is appropriate to exercise my authority to set alternative across-the-board and locality pay adjustments for 2019.”

Instead of giving across-the-board increases, which he says don’t address pay disparities or accomplish mission or retention goals, he wants to move to a merit-based system that rewards employees for their performance.

This is quite major, so I actually hope this has been posted multiple times. Its a strong indicator the economy has some major problems and we are all at risk.

---

NOTE: Edited Title for more clarification.
    Last edited by DamianTV; 08-30-2018 at 07:46 PM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Keep talking, I'm almost there!
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...ent-senate-32/

Dear Mr. Speaker:

I am transmitting an alternative plan for pay adjustments for civilian Federal employees covered by the General Schedule and certain other pay systems in January 2019.

Title 5, United States Code, authorizes me to implement alternative plans for pay adjustments for civilian Federal employees covered by the General Schedule and certain other pay systems if, because of “national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare,” I view the increases that would otherwise take effect as inappropriate.

Under current law, locality pay increases averaging 25.70 percent, costing $25 billion, would go into effect in January 2019, in addition to a 2.1 percent across-the-board increase for the base General Schedule. We must maintain efforts to put our Nation on a fiscally sustainable course, and Federal agency budgets cannot sustain such increases. Accordingly, I have determined that it is appropriate to exercise my authority to set alternative across-the-board and locality pay adjustments for 2019 pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 5303(b) and 5304a.

Specifically, I have determined that for 2019, both across‑the‑board pay increases and locality pay increases will be set at zero. These alternative pay plan decisions will not materially affect our ability to attract and retain a well‑qualified Federal workforce.

As noted in my Budget for Fiscal Year 2019, the cost of employing the Federal workforce is significant. In light of our Nation’s fiscal situation, Federal employee pay must be performance-based, and aligned strategically toward recruiting, retaining, and rewarding high-performing Federal employees and those with critical skill sets. Across-the-board pay increases and locality pay increases, in particular, have long-term fixed costs, yet fail to address existing pay disparities or target mission critical recruitment and retention goals.

The adjustments described above shall take effect on the first day of the first applicable pay period beginning on or after January 1, 2019.

Sincerely,

DONALD J. TRUMP
    If we are having such " serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare" I guess he will have to give up on that wall he wants. The budget cannot sustain such increases.

We must maintain efforts to put our Nation on a fiscally sustainable course,
    Does that mean he wants to repeal the tax cuts?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-30-2018 at 04:53 PM.

They make a lot of money. Very few people have as good retirement, medical, and other benefits as government workers. No one has as much job security-- It's almost impossible to get fired. And you don't have to work very hard.

Trump has some cajones. However, they will try to shame Trump. Because I don't think government employees would like to debate this openly. It may end the good deal that they have. But who knows. Greed does weird things to people.

Poor Zippy won't get a raise.

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    Keep talking, I'm almost there!
    Right now there is a judge trying to stop changes Trump ordered that would make it easier to fire them, hopefully he will be overruled:

Court strikes down Trump measures on firing federal workers

Trump has yet to do enough to make me really happy but I hope he will be able to do more, in any case he is better than any president in a long time and is moving the overton window in our direction.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    They make a lot of money. Very few people have as good retirement, medical, and other benefits as government workers. No one has as much job security-- It's almost impossible to get fired. And you don't have to work very hard.

Trump has some cajones. However, they will try to shame Trump. Because I don't think government employees would like to debate this openly. It may end the good deal that they have. But who knows. Greed does weird things to people.
    Agreed.

Govt sector is paying much much better than the private sector right now, as far as civilians go. Their wages have been going up, ours have been flatlined. Could be an indication that those at the bottom paying the taxes to go into the federal employees pockets are tapped out.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Suspend those raises through his entire term.
    Do something Danke

Govt appears to abuse its power over everything, Monopoly of telling people what they cant do, but they can! Why the hell do they need so many employees anyway?
    1776 > 1984

Government is so big now. Employees and their voting dependents are huuuuge. Trump will be a one termer with this.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Government is so big now. Employees and their voting dependents are huuuuge. Trump will be a one termer with this.
    None of them were going to vote for him anyway.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

None of them were going to vote for him anyway.

There are actually quite a few Republicans in Federal Government.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

There are actually quite a few Republicans in Federal Government.
    But would they ever vote for Trump?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Poor Zippy won't get a raise.
    /thread
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

But would they ever vote for Trump?

Don't know, have you asked Zip?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't know, have you asked Zip?
    I don't think zip is a Republican, he's not even a RINO.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The alpha male president strikes again.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    The alpha male president strikes again.
    It is because of the "urgent economic crisis" the country is in.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...ent-senate-32/

because of “national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare,
    He is worried about "fiscal responsibility" while ratcheting up $trillion deficits.

We must maintain efforts to put our Nation on a fiscally sustainable course, and Federal agency budgets cannot sustain such increases.

I don't think zip is a Republican, he's not even a RINO.

He works with them, we all know he is left of Bernie.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

He works with them, we all know he is left of Bernie.
    But would they admit to him that they would vote for Trump?
    He seems like the type that would fink them out if they did.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

But would they admit to him that they would vote for Trump?
    He seems like the type that would fink them out if they did.

True, true.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast