Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump Takes Aim at Google, Claims Search Results ‘RIGGED’ Against Him: ‘Illegal?’

Trump Takes Aim at Google, Claims Search Results ‘RIGGED’ Against Him: ‘Illegal?’

Trump Takes Aim at Google, Claims Search Results ‘RIGGED’ Against Him: ‘Illegal?’

by Aidan McLaughlin
    Aug 28th, 2018

President Donald Trump unleashed some unusually early morning tweets on Tuesday, citing a report from a conservative website to rip Google for allegedly biased search results.

Trump first claimed that “Google search results for ‘Trump News’ shows only the viewing/reporting of Fake New Media.”

“In other words, they have it RIGGED, for me & others, so that almost all stories & news is BAD,” he continued. “Fake CNN is prominent. Republican/Conservative & Fair Media is shut out.”

Trump then asked if the search results were “Illegal”, before elaborating: “96% of… results on ‘Trump News’ are from National Left-Wing Media, very dangerous.”

“Google & others are suppressing voices of Conservatives and hiding information and news that is good,” he added. “They are controlling what we can & cannot see. This is a very serious situation-will be addressed!”

The president appears to be referencing a report by conservative blog PJ Media, which claimed that “96 Percent of Google Search Results for ‘Trump’ News Are from Liberal Media Outlets.”

https://www.mediaite.com/online/trum...t-him-illegal/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They all rig all the search results. Try looking up something from mainstream Christianity. Facebook just takes it right down. They have a right to do it. Their sites, their rules. We should never expect the pagan left to ever allow any other message to stand.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Google's news results are different for each person. Trump probably spends time hate-reading news about himself and he's taught Google to serve him that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Google's news results are different for each person. Trump probably spends time hate-reading news about himself and he's taught Google to serve him that.
    he's referencing a PJ Media article from a few days ago

96 Percent of Google Search Results for 'Trump' News Are from Liberal Media Outlets

BY PAULA BOLYARD
    AUGUST 25, 2018

Is Google manipulating its algorithm to prioritize left-leaning news outlets in their coverage of President Trump? It sure looks that way based on recent search results for news on the president.

Conservatives and Trump supporters have for the last several years questioned whether Google was deprioritizing conservative news sites, hiding them from users who utilize their search engine. Google has maintained that all outlets are treated fairly, but nevertheless, conservative sites have reported reduced search traffic and, in the case of Google-owned YouTube, content creators have been banned and demonetized. Google's high-profile firing of conservative James Damore, purportedly over his conservative political views, only reinforces the idea that Google is picking winners and losers.

To test the premise, I performed a Google search for "Trump" using the search engine's "News" tab and analyzed the results using Sharyl Attkisson's media bias chart.

I expected to see some skewing of the results based on my extensive experience with Google, but I was not prepared for the blatant prioritization of left-leaning and anti-Trump media outlets. Looking at the first page of search results, I discovered that CNN was the big winner, scoring two of the first ten results. Other left-leaning sites that appeared on the first page were CBS, The Atlantic, CNBC, The New Yorker, Politico, Reuters, and USA Today (the last two outlets on this list could arguably be considered more centrist than the others).

Not a single right-leaning site appeared on the first page of search results.

But it got much, much worse when I analyzed the first 100 items that Google returned in a search for news on "Trump."

read more:
    https://pjmedia.com/trending/google-...ervative-bias/

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post

read more:
    Same for him. Google is an ad revenue engine; it serves you whatever it thinks that you will click on. If it doesn't know you, it serves you what it thinks that people like you will click on.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post

read more:
    96%? That's almost as much as the TV coverage by leftist media outlets.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Same for him. Google is an ad revenue engine; it serves you whatever it thinks that you will click on. If it doesn't know you, it serves you what it thinks that people like you will click on.
    Nope. I have been a Christian since before the internet. A lot of my interaction is from a specifically Christian point of view. Nothing is filtered pro-mainstream Christianity.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Google's news results are different for each person.

No; at least not the top tier results. Many factors go into it. Some customized; some standard. I did this work for a company. The algorithms are so complicated that there's probably not one person on earth who could give you a complete explanation.

There are many factors that go into rankings. One of the them is manual placement. It's very controlled and often set for page one. It's gets more unpredictable with each passing page.

If you view a topic enough, then some of your results might be more customized. I generally don't care much for vaccines, but check this Google list (below) when I type in the phrase "vaccine lies." Somebody who doesn't even understand Boolean could probably figure that the search is from someone not favoring vaccines, but seven of the top ten results are pro-vaccine. Three of the top ten results are about those pesky Russian "trolls." Again!

Gardasil: Myths, Misinformation and Lies about the HPV Vaccine ...
    https://endinghiv.org.nz/.../gardisi...ut-the-hpv-vac...
    In January this year the world's first anti-cancer vaccine, Gardisil, became available free of charge for everyone 26 and under in NZ.

Vaccine Myths Debunked | PublicHealth.org
    https://www.publichealth.org/public-...yths-debunked/
    U.S. public health officials and physicians have been combating misconceptions about vaccine safety for over twenty years. They've had mixed success. Despite ...

Russian bots and trolls spreading anti-vaccine LIES on social media ...
    https://www.express.co.uk › News › World
    4 days ago - RUSSIAN social media bots and trolls have been spreading misinformation about vaccines on Twitter in a bid to create social conflict, a new ...

CDC Lies About MMR Vaccine Connection To Autism | The Yost Legal ...
    https://www.yostlaw.com/cdc-lies-abo...ion-to-autism/
    CDC Lies About MMR Vaccine Connection To Autism. August 28th, 2014. Here in the United States there are certain institutions that have been created in order ...

Russian trolls 'spreading discord' over vaccine safety online | Society ...
    https://www.theguardian.com/.../russ...ation-on-twitt...
    5 days ago - Study discovered several accounts, now known to belong to the same Russian trolls who interfered in the US election, tweeting about vaccines.

Russian Trolls and Bots Spread Anti-vaccine Lies on Twitter in Run-up ...
    https://www.newsweek.com/russian-tro...es-twitter-run...
    5 days ago - Russian trolls and social media bots used tactics similar to those employed during the 2016 presidential election to spread misinformation ...

“Ten Lies” Told About Mercury in Vaccines - Trace Amounts
    traceamounts.com/ten-lies-told-about-mercury-in-vaccines/
    Lisa K. Sykes from the United Methodist Women wrote a compelling blog post about the “Ten Lies Commonly Told about Mercury in Vaccines” for those who ...

FACT CHECK: Fraud at the CDC Uncovered? - Snopes.com
    https://www.snopes.com › Fact Check › Medical
    Rumor: Data suppressed by the CDC proved that the MMR vaccine produces a 340% increased risk of autism in African-American boys.

Andrew Wakefield - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield
    Andrew Jeremy Wakefield (born 1957) is a discredited former British doctor who became an anti-vaccine activist. ..... If your study is a lie, your book is a lie.".

8 Common Arguments Against Vaccines – The Method – Medium
    https://medium.com/the.../8-common-a...s-5d45ad9c1e29
    Sep 9, 2017 - This is simply a lie told by vaccine-deniers to make parents scared. Vaccines are one of the most well-researched interventions of all time.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Scariest part of this whole "controversy":

“Google & others are suppressing voices of Conservatives and hiding information and news that is good,” he added. “They are controlling what we can & cannot see. This is a very serious situation-will be addressed!
    Do we really have "conservatives" wishing for more government oversight??

I suppose that fits with them wanting to increase military spending, growing the size of the federal workforce, increasing Executive branch power, wanting more trade regulations, and exponentially increasing the debt.

Maybe one day we'll all see how this whole "left boot/right boot" thing is costing us all of our wealth and liberty? Nah, probably not - cults of personality are way more fun.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Yeah, I quit using Google news back in the Ron Paul days. Everything they showed me was negative.

I don't think the "they just show you what they think you want to see" theory holds water. I think it was another thread here, but I just saw another example from YouTube, where searching by the exact title of a video, including the content producer's name, put it pretty far down or so in the results.

I think the original intent of a search engine was to provide relevant results to the request.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I think the original intent of a search engine was to provide relevant results to the request.
    “Organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.”

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    “Organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.”
    Useful to who?

I am running on about 3 hours of sleep but I think the most shocking there here is that there are two people in the thread downplaying Google's influence on the world.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Scariest part of this whole "controversy":

Do we really have "conservatives" wishing for more government oversight??

I suppose that fits with them wanting to increase military spending, growing the size of the federal workforce, increasing Executive branch power, wanting more trade regulations, and exponentially increasing the debt.

Maybe one day we'll all see how this whole "left boot/right boot" thing is costing us all of our wealth and liberty? Nah, probably not - cults of personality are way more fun.
    Exactly.

The whole left/right narrative is to keep everyone at each other and their eyes off the mark.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Useful to who?

I am running on about 3 hours of sleep but I think the most shocking there here is that there are two people in the thread downplaying Google's influence on the world.
    Pointing out hypocrisy is not downplaying.

96% Of Journalists’ Donations To Presidential Campaigns In 2016 Went To Hillary Clinton

http://hiddenamericans.com/politics/...llary-clinton/
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also- Google is pretty easy to manipulate- I've helped a few orgs get on page 1 in a search.

If Trump was really interested in in looking good in a search, he'd hire a strong media staff that would take care of that instead of being the continuous boo-hoo brat that he is.
    There is no spoon.

Arrow The anointed one, The Donald

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    96% Of Journalists’ Donations To Presidential Campaigns In 2016 Went To Hillary Clinton

http://hiddenamericans.com/politics/...llary-clinton/
    It seems like about the same percentage of broadcast time went to Donald Trump. They love the guy, it was 24/7/365 The Donald for a year prior to the election. He's the swamp's choice. Those paying the bills, the corporate sponsors demand moar Donald!
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    It seems like about the same percentage of broadcast time went to Donald Trump. They love the guy, it was 24/7/365 The Donald for a year prior to the election. He's the swamp's choice. Those paying the bills, the corporate sponsors demand moar Donald!
    Which is why only 4% supported him?

Why do you always post things that are 180 degrees in the wrong direction?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

That would be YOU, buddy.

if the media had not supported him, Trump would have been He Who Must Not Be Named- like Ron Paul.

All the fruhaha from the media was to give Trump mucho PR while pretending to be against him.

Time to learn a little about real publicity.
    There is no spoon.

Superstars - John S. McCain & Donald J. Trump

You can pretend that Trump's a nobody as you wish, but the media will continue to worship the Donald anyway. Trump and McCain are very popular with the MSM, deal with it. Follow the money.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Whether or not you think Google's search engine is biased (I doubt it) is irrelevant. Trump shouldn't be threatening private businesses. Just like the leftists in congress shouldn't be threatening Facebook over InfoWars.

They add a propaganda element to it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Maybe they can explain why Trump's picture is just about the only thing that appears when one does a Google image search for the word "idiot"?

And while Google had visited the Obama White House over 230 times in seven years, we wonder how many times they've visited since Trump took office?

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...read-carefully

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They add a propaganda element to it.
    Sounds legit.
    Pinochet is the model

Sounds legit.
    I love it when you say that, it means you have absolutely no argument.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Maybe they can explain why Trump's picture is just about the only thing that appears when one does a Google image search for the word "idiot"?
    A
    nd while Google had visited the Obama White House over 230 times in seven years, we wonder how many times they've visited since Trump took office?

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...read-carefully
    Oh good, Zerohedge.

Don't worry, I'll do the research and give you the sources that they didn't.

Search 'idiot', get Trump: how activists are manipulating Google Images

When you type the word “idiot” into Google’s image search, Trump is the first returned result. This is partly because the Green Day song American Idiot was used by protesters to soundtrack his trip to London. But since then there’s also been a concerted campaign to capitalize on that association, and manipulate Google’s algorithm, by linking the word to the picture. Mostly this involved people upvoting a post containing a photo of him and the word “idiot” on Reddit.

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/17/trump-idiot-google-images-search
    Pinochet is the model

Oh good, Zerohedge.

Don't worry, I'll do the research and give you the sources that they didn't.

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/17/trump-idiot-google-images-search
    Would they have let it happen to O'Bummer?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I love it when you say that, it means you have absolutely no argument.
    Is it because I'm making unsourced, unverifiable claims based off of my feelings?
    Pinochet is the model

Would they have let it happen to O'Bummer?
    Oh hey let me Google that for you:
    https://www.recode.net/2017/3/5/1482...home-fake-news
    Pinochet is the model

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast