Thread: SJWs now ruining the hedonism of Burning Man

Exclamation SJWs now ruining the hedonism of Burning Man

Insert smug look here:

Will the Orgy Dome be banned at Burning Man this year? Infamous counter-culture festival faces up to life in the MeToo era

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-movement.html

Annual Nevada festival is known for music, art, and plenty of sexual liberation
    But it is now working to teach Burners that a free spirit doesn't mean a free for all
    Five to 20 sexual assaults are reported at the Burning Man festival every year
    Now there are camps specifically devoted to teaching Burners about consent

By DAILYMAIL.COM REPORTER
    PUBLISHED: 22:49 EDT, 21 August 2018 | UPDATED: 04:33 EDT, 22 August 2018

Every year at Burning Man, one can get sponged in a human body wash, receive a naughty nude portrait, or even stop by the Orgy Dome for some risque fun.

While the counter-culture Nevada festival is known for its outpouring of music and art, it has also become notorious for a freeing intimacy found only in the desert heat.

From a Hug Church to spanking lessons, Burning Man has always encouraged forming special connections with fellow burners.

But where does this free spirit on the campgrounds - known as the playa - fit in amid the #MeToo era?

That is the exact question organizers are attempting to tackle as they prepare for the onslaught of 80,000 burners in Black Rock City come the first week of September.

And it is one that all music festivals have had to grapple with recently as the issue of rampant sexual harassment has finally come to light.

A Teen Vogue article went viral earlier this year after the writer talked to 54 women who all said they had been harassed at Coachella.

And Burning Man is not immune. The festival's Sexual Assault Services department revealed it receives between five to 20 reports of alleged sexual assault each year. Last year two people were arrested on charges of sexual assault.

Unlike more traditional music festivals, Burning Man organizers are tasked with teaching Burners that freedom on the playa doesn't mean it's a free for all.

'Just because we aim to be sexually liberated doesn't mean we are,' Donna Rae Watson told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

'In the Burn community, you run into this attitude where we welcome the stranger, but sometimes that translates into: We have to accept their behavior. That's not how it should be.'

Watson is the director of the Bureau of Erotic Discourse, a camp on the playa with the sole purpose of teaching Burners about consensual sex.

'We're an experimental community, but we still bring the problems from the default world into the burn,' she said.

'Our sole purpose is to bring consent front and center and incorporate it into the ethos of the culture, where boundaries are respected and our bodies are respected.'

'We're taught the basics of consent in first grade: Don’t touch people without their consent, but we fail to extrapolate that to the sexual arena. We aim to fill that gap'

That includes teaching Burners that scandalous costumes and nudity should not be considered an all-inclusive invitation.

'Just because someone is dressed a certain way doesn't mean that they want you to touch them or kiss them or (have sex),' she said.

'[Some] automatically think consent is implied, but implied consent doesn't exist.'

B.E.D was founded in 2005 after a woman was sexually assaulted at the festival.

It is completely participant-run, teaching classes and passing out buttons with messages like 'Consent is sexy' and 'However you dress, wherever you go, yes means yes and no means no'.

B.E.D Burners now visit camps, especially the larger ones, to teach them about consent. Last year they visited more than 4,000 Burners across the playa.

And this year Burning Man organizers are also getting involved, sending attendees an email reminding them about the importance of consent for sex, touch, or photos.

B.E.D is now no longer the only camp on the playa that is teaching consensual sex, while others are forming to give women their own safe space entirely.

+5
    Burning Man organizers are now also getting involved, this year sending attendees an email reminding them about the importance of consent for sex, touch, or photos

And then there is Vika Viktoria, who hosts underground men's salons in order to help male Burners get in touch with different ideas surrounding masculinity.

'The men were immediately more fearless, there was an understanding that everyone there was curious and they wanted to be better,' she said.

'In the default world, there are several defenses that need to come down to get to that same crux of curiosity.'

But not everyone is ecstatic about the changes on the playa.

Ted Allen, who runs the Hug Church, has seen a sense of trust disappear since he first came to the festival 13 years ago.

Allen said that he now offers a handshake before giving out hugs as a way of asking for consent.

'This is not a handshake culture, this is not a handshake society,' he said.

'You can get that anywhere else. We are bigger than that, better than that.'

But Viktoria welcomes the shift in conversations, believing it can actually create more intense experiences for Burners.

'The simmer trumps the boil,' she said. 'Allow that dance to start slow.'

'Touch someone's body with your eyes before you ever touch them with your hands.'
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    'Touch someone's body with your eyes before you ever touch them with your hands.'
    Prohibited, sweet cheeks.

Only leftists could $#@! up hedonism.

They could $#@! up an iron ball.

Place sounds like a pain in the ass to me....

Burning Man threatens to sue Feds over traffic stops

The Burning Man organization has written a letter to top federal officials threatening a federal lawsuit in the wake of continuing traffic stops slowing vehicles headed to the 80,000-person event, which begins midnight Sunday.

The organization called for an immediate stop to the "improper and apparently unconstitutional behavior" and also demanded that all involved federal agencies preserve all records related to the traffic stops in a letter obtained by the Reno Gazette Journal.

The projected end of the law enforcement operation is Sept. 5, according to Pyramid Lake Police Department Lt. Michael Durham. Burning Man lasts for a week, through Sept. 3.

"Many of the (traffic stop) tactics are attempts to intimidate and harass travelers who are doing nothing more than passing through the Reservation on a state-maintained highway. This is unacceptable and this behavior should not be tolerated by agency leaders nor the public," said Adam Belsky, special counsel to the Burning Man organization in the Wednesday letter.

The letter is addressed to Mr. Darryl LaCounte, acting director of the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs, and other top BIA officials in Washington, D.C.

Burners have experienced dozens of stops in the area of Nixon, a small town halfway between Reno and the Burning Man site in Northern Nevada's Black Rock Desert. The town is on Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribal land, as is a long stretch of State Route 447, which passes through Nixon and is the only main road to the site.
    https://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/...ps/1075780002/

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Place sounds like a pain in the ass to me....

https://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/...ps/1075780002/
    I never had any desire to go, it looks hot, dusty and stupid.

Somebody in one of these yearly threads said something to the effect that

"I have have no interest in pedaling around in a blistering hot desert on a whale dick tricycle, high on Ecstasy while listening to Skrillex."

What aren't SJWS ruining?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    "I have have no interest in pedaling around in a blistering hot desert on a whale dick tricycle, high on Ecstasy while listening to Skrillex."
    Listening to Skrillex live on ecstacy is great no matter what you're doing.. but Burning Man boo'd skrillex and diplo off the stage during their b2b set after diplo$#@! played some 50 cent. I don't think they've been back since.
    Last edited by dannno; 08-24-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    What aren't SJWS ruining?
    A week long psychedelic/sexual/music festival/party in the desert..

In it's early days it had a very anarchist tendency, but obviously as it grew and people involved are primarily on the left - and the cops have become more heavy handed it is not the same. Back in 2004 everybody was sharing drugs freely... now you have to be a little more careful I think.

"You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe the issue is somewhere in the middle between the SJWs over reacting as well as those making unwanted advances or rapes? It's hard to say without knowing the details behind these assaults.

Not sure I really see this as some weird consequence of Liberalism as much events being taken advantage of by predators looking for victims at festivals like this and Coachella. I suppose if anything, Liberal minded people will respond by having their Burning Man temporary city organize a response to this which they are gradually doing.

https://archives.sfweekly.com/exhibi...e-on-the-playa

Whenever you hear about Burning Man, it's often about the art, the peace, the spiritual enlightenment, and, most importantly, the freedom. Some burners, as the attendees like to be called, even feel as if that is their home and they can't wait to get back to it every year.

This year, however, in addition to all the posts about how 2012 was the best burn ever, there was also a very different post entitled "Serial Rapist on the Playa." It details the story of a 19-year-old girl who was strangled, drugged, and raped one night. According to the blog, which was written by the victim's mother, who was also at Burning Man, she was found face down behind Emerald City. The people who found her assumed she had overdosed and took her to the medical tent. After being attached to an IV all night, they released her. Upon returning to her tent, the bruises that appeared made it clear she had been strangled and raped.

Crime is rarely mentioned in conjunction with Burning Man, and neither is rape or assault. When the victim reported the assault on the playa, she was informed that Burning Man is not equipped with rape kits. If you are assaulted while at Burning Man and you want a rape kit, you have to travel to Reno. Joseph Pred, Burning Man's Emergency Services Operations Chief confirmed, "Rape kits do not exist in Black Rock City. Forensic exams are incredibly complex issues that have to do with the court system and are not something that is really easily taken on. In Northern Nevada, there is only one facility that does that type of exam."

I found this curious, so I contacted a hospital in Northern Nevada and asked if rape kits were only done in specific facilities. A charge nurse in the ER said that when a person is brought in for rape, they are instructed by law enforcement to conduct a special exam and it can be done in any hospital in Northern Nevada.

Crime is rarely mentioned in conjunction with Burning Man, and neither is rape or assault. When the victim reported the assault on the playa, she was informed that Burning Man is not equipped with rape kits. If you are assaulted while at Burning Man and you want a rape kit, you have to travel to Reno. Joseph Pred, Burning Man's Emergency Services Operations Chief confirmed, "Rape kits do not exist in Black Rock City. Forensic exams are incredibly complex issues that have to do with the court system and are not something that is really easily taken on. In Northern Nevada, there is only one facility that does that type of exam."

I found this curious, so I contacted a hospital in Northern Nevada and asked if rape kits were only done in specific facilities. A charge nurse in the ER said that when a person is brought in for rape, they are instructed by law enforcement to conduct a special exam and it can be done in any hospital in Northern Nevada.

If they ban Mardi Gras then I'm going to war
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

If all of that sand was next to an ocean, I might go
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Maybe the issue is somewhere in the middle between the SJWs over reacting as well as those making unwanted advances or rapes? It's hard to say without knowing the details behind these assaults.

Not sure I really see this as some weird consequence of Liberalism as much events being taken advantage of by predators looking for victims at festivals like this and Coachella. I suppose if anything, Liberal minded people will respond by having their Burning Man temporary city organize a response to this which they are gradually doing.

Whenever you hear about Burning Man, it's often about the art, the peace, the spiritual enlightenment, and, most importantly, the freedom. Some burners, as the attendees like to be called, even feel as if that is their home and they can't wait to get back to it every year.

This year, however, in addition to all the posts about how 2012 was the best burn ever, there was also a very different post entitled "Serial Rapist on the Playa." It details the story of a 19-year-old girl who was strangled, drugged, and raped one night. According to the blog, which was written by the victim's mother, who was also at Burning Man, she was found face down behind Emerald City. The people who found her assumed she had overdosed and took her to the medical tent. After being attached to an IV all night, they released her. Upon returning to her tent, the bruises that appeared made it clear she had been strangled and raped.

I have never found to have the need for a "rape kit."

Are they expensive?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post

Compared to what?

Partying at a University? In your home town? At a bar or club? A concert? Coachella?

Most of these young people going to festivals and whatnot aren't sitting around doing nothing at home when they aren't at festivals. They are going out at night and putting themselves in situations where men and women typically meet socially, often for the purposes of finding a romantic encounter or romantic partner. Add the confusion from alcohol, different people act differently in sexual situations, raging hormones and all kinds of different things can happen that could result in either an assault, or something that appears that way. The point is that it is hard to blame the event if the person attending would have been at a similar type of event, but perhaps smaller or more private with similar risks otherwise. If anything, these events can sometimes provide a safety in numbers as people are typically looking out or each other and 99.999% of the participants don't want people to get raped.

I hadn't heard about the girl in that article, and of course it is hard to say what happened to her. I don't doubt someone bad may have done something bad to her, but when you don't remember anything could have happened - could it have been she got really drunk and took some drugs and fell off her bike or fell off an art exhibit, then hooked up with some guy consensually while she was blacked out on alcohol and drugs? Then ran off and passed out? I dunno what the likelihood is because I'm not her and I don't have her memories, but even she may not have much of a clue what happened either way.

Girls get blacked out drunk all the time, and they run around and act like they just drank 10 cups of coffee. They do crazy $#@!. Then they wake up the next day and don't remember. Then people act like if they had sex and they were drunk it happened while passed out or something, when that scenario is usually far from likely.
    Last edited by dannno; 08-25-2018 at 08:23 PM.

I don't blame the venues. If anything, Burning Man taking steps to do something about it is a good thing.

I guess I was just questioning whether this really is just over reacting SJWs or if an increasing amount of predators are trying to take advantage of these events.

As for Burning Man itself, it's an experiment I respect and would like to go there myself someday. For now, I just don't have the time or the money for a trip like that.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.