Thread: Cops Can Now See Items In Cars Using Thermal Imaging

Cops Can Now See Items In Cars Using Thermal Imaging

https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/i..._finds_gu.html

When city police showed up, Gerow said, a new thermal imaging device was used and detected what appeared to be a firearm in the trunk of the silver rental car.

"They found two more guns in the passenger compartment of the vehicle," Gerow said

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is wonderful news. They should have no excuse for shooting unarmed people any longer.

Cops have been using thermal imaging technology for decades but it's been costly to obtain.

What I'm reading is that it's come way down in price and the tech has improved drastically...

People might say it is the technology that has outpaced the law. Um, I rather think this falls under the "Search" part of "Unlawful Search and Seizure".
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Funny, I guess you have to read between the lines in the article. It only mentions the suspects going to jail. they never mentioned if the guns were legal/illegal or used in the shooting at BK.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Great. Surely the cops won't use it for evil purposes.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Cops have been using thermal imaging technology for decades but it's been costly to obtain.

What I'm reading is that it's come way down in price and the tech has improved drastically...
    There is a picture of it in the article. It llooks like a flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    People might say it is the technology that has outpaced the law. Um, I rather think this falls under the "Search" part of "Unlawful Search and Seizure".
    All that matters is that the kops go home safely.....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ^^^THIS^^^
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I think they are talking about one of these....
    https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-LTO-T...ld+lto+tracker

Now how it the world anybody could use that to see through the metal wall of a car trunk, I would really like to see.

Guess they had to have an excuse to stop that car and thought one up after the fact.

Um, I rather think this falls under the "Search" part of "Unlawful Search and Seizure".
    The SCOTUS agrees, AFAIK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyllo_v._United_States

Kyllo v. United States, 533 U.S. 27 (2001),[1] held in a 5–4 decision that the use of a thermal imaging, or FLIR, device from a public vantage point to monitor the radiation of heat from a person's home was a "search" within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment, and thus required a warrant.
    So, not sure what the deal is with the situation in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    nice catch...

Where I live it is legal to carry around the shotgun and rifle I carry so there would never be a legitimate reason to pull me over .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Where I live it is legal to carry around the shotgun and rifle I carry so there would never be a legitimate reason to pull me over .
    They let injuns carry firearms among civilized folk?

They let injuns carry firearms among civilized folk?
    I carry a tomahawk , an ice pick and a bowie knife in the truck too , all within reach .
    Do something Danke

I carry a tomahawk , an ice pick and a bowie knife in the truck too , all within reach .
    All that must impinge on your fire water storage space.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All that must impinge on your fire water storage space.
    No , its a big truck , I have room for beverages too.
    Do something Danke

No , its a big truck , I have room for beverages too.
    Sounds like a nice arrangement. Just make sure you don't get mistaken for a Messicun and get yourself deported.

Sounds like a nice arrangement. Just make sure you don't get mistaken for a Messicun and get yourself deported.
    I use a picture of Danke on my ID so they would think I am OK .
    Do something Danke

A search using thermal imaging is considered a "search"? Such a bull$#@! ruling.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

That would certainly be the original intent.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    A search using thermal imaging is considered a "search"? Such a bull$#@! ruling.
    And apparently it applies to cars on public roads too.

We sweated and saved to build those glorious roads, and now we can't even be illegally searched on them!

So this Leupold LTO thermal imager is NOT an x-ray "see through walls" device.

In the video above, you couldn't see a human walking behind thick brush. I don't believe that it's going to show heat signatures behind walls.

In order for the police to see a firearm in the trunk of the car, they (most likely, IMO) had to have opened the trunk. The only advantage the Leupold LTO gave the cops was evidence that the firearms in the trunk had been fired recently (firing guns heats the barrel).

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.