Thread: The doctor is out? Why physicians are leaving their practices to pursue other careers

The doctor is out? Why physicians are leaving their practices to pursue other careers

The doctor is out? Why physicians are leaving their practices to pursue other careers

But perhaps the more interesting story lies not with those deciding to eschew medical degrees; it’s with the people who went through all that training, who became doctors — and then decided to opt for another path.

This drastic career change can be a result of new med school grads being unable to find a residency within a reasonable period of time.

“Graduating med school doesn't mean you’ll get into a residency,” said Fowler. “There aren't enough residency slots for medical grads. So you have that population of people who have an MD but didn't practice for that reason. There is this bottleneck effect.”

THE MOUNTING BUREAUCRACY

This “bottleneck effect” doesn’t usually sour grads on staying the course, Fowler finds, but he does see plenty of doctors in the later stages of their careers hang up their stethoscopes earlier than expected. Some cite electronic health records (EHRs) as part of the reason — especially old school doctors who don’t pride themselves on their computer skills. New research by Stanford Medicine, conducted by The Harris Poll, found that 59 percent think EHRs "need a complete overhaul;" while 40 percent see "more challenges with EHRs than benefits."

And then there are those doctors who left medicine because the cons of the job started to far outweigh the pros.

“After 20 years, I quit medicine and none of my colleagues were surprised. In fact, they all said they wish they could do the same,” Dr. Amy Baxter told NBC News.

“I began to feel like an easily replaceable cog in the healthcare machine. With the [enforcement] of EHRs, I had to spend more time as a scribe. One night a child I was treating had a seizure and I couldn’t get the medicine to enable them to breathe because their chart wasn’t in the system yet. This kid was fixing to die and I, the doctor, couldn’t get the medicine. It was demoralizing.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...m_npd_nn_tw_ma
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "This kid was fixing to die and I, the doctor, couldn’t get the medicine. It was demoralizing.”

But wait. There are all the baby boomers and the need for doctors will be thru the roof! Is that not what we have been hearing for the last 30 or more years?

Doctors are just pill pushers and rarely heal people any more. Unless you have a traumatic injury or a chronic illness, a doctor is of little use. The best cure is to just wait it out and let nature play its course.

Going to the ER or a doctor in most instances does not heal you it only give you a diagnosis that may or may not be accurate. No cure for sprained ankle, knee, broken ribs or whatever. If you can move it just deal with it and keep moving.

Avoid health care like you would the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    But wait. There are all the baby boomers and the need for doctors will be thru the roof! Is that not what we have been hearing for the last 30 or more years?

Doctors are just pill pushers and rarely heal people any more. Unless you have a traumatic injury or a chronic illness, a doctor is of little use. The best cure is to just wait it out and let nature play its course.

Going to the ER or a doctor in most instances does not heal you it only give you a diagnosis that may or may not be accurate. No cure for sprained ankle, knee, broken ribs or whatever. If you can move it just deal with it and keep moving.

Avoid health care like you would the police.
    That's my philosophy.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Doctors are just pill pushers and rarely heal people any more. Unless you have a traumatic injury or a chronic illness, a doctor is of little use.
    I just had another mini-showdown with my mother, who is a retired RN. She's pretty butthurt about the fact that we're not filling my son's veins full of untested crap.
    And we were both sitting eight feet from his sister, who chose this weekend to go on another seizure binge. The ketogenic diet that we found doing our own online research has gotten her to the point where she continues to breathe through the seizures, at least, and she's not taking the drugs the "chronic illness" $#@!tards were giving her that turned her into a couch potato zombie... (ETA which also didn't work to reduce seizures at all... but that's only a minor point I guess...)

I'm not completely sold on the idea that vaccines caused it, but when half a dozen different 'chronic illness' physicians are all literally batting zero, and when I can pretty accurately correlate both my uncontrollable itching and my pretty constantly stopped up sinus to two different tetanus boosters, someone with an MD owes me at least a discussion about it. And more of a discussion than "let's stick a camera up your nose for $600 and not give you any information from that".

Maybe their leaving the profession, and not entering it in the first place, also has something to do with the fact that more and more of us are on to the fact that the overwhelming majority of the time they are manifestly less helpful than medicine show performers. Maybe a critical mass of people is getting to the point where we have had enough of their bull$#@!.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

This drastic career change can be a result of new med school grads being unable to find a residency within a reasonable period of time.
    Too much competition is not good in the medical-government complex. They must keep the supply of available doctors tight.

Related:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...very-EXPENSIVE!
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 08-20-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

It's hard to put any trust in the medical community any more... the secret is... never get sick.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows