Thread: Your taste in music says a lot about your bank account

Exclamation Your taste in music says a lot about your bank account

Your taste in music says a lot about your bank account

https://nypost.com/2018/08/17/your-t...-bank-account/

By Catey Hill, Moneyish August 17, 2018 | 12:25pm

Rich people march to a different tune.

The richest Americans may be way more likely to listen to classical music — which could include Beethoven, Mozart and Bach — than the rest of us. Indeed, those who listened to classical reported that they raked in an average income of more than $114,000 per year, compared to just $58,000 for country music fans (the lowest of those measured), according to a survey of 1,500 millennials released this month by TDAmeritrade. TD Ameritrade said that it believes this finding will hold true for all age groups.

How much income each type of music lover rakes in:

Classical – $114,000
    Electronic – $92,000
    Rap/Hip-hop – $69,000
    ’80s/’90s – $67,000
    Hard rock – $65,000
    Pop/Top 40 – $61,000
    Country – $58,000

Classical music aficionados — those who said they were most likely to listen to classical music — are also way more likely to say they feel financially secure than other music fans: three in four say they feel this way, compared to fewer than half of fans who jam to pop, hard rock, hip-hop and country. They also may be better set up for retirement, as three in four say they invest in the stock market, compared to fewer than half of country and pop fans.

Christine Russell, the senior manager of retirement and annuities at TD Ameritrade, says this may be because people who listen to classical music tend to come from higher income, urban environments — where education and affluence levels are greater. And many classical music lovers also play an instrument, which shows commitment and ambition, both of which may explain their high incomes and financial security, she adds.

Meanwhile, country music fans tend to have the lowest incomes and the least financial security. Russell notes this is likely because many come from rural, less affluent areas. It may also, she says, have to do with the messages in the music: Country is often about living the simple life.

But there may be more to it than that. Classical music itself could be boosting our academic performance, levels of productivity and even our IQs — all of which could, of course, boost our finances down the line.

Indeed, listening to classical music may help improve your academic performance, according to a study published in the journal Learning and Individual Differences. The researchers found that 
students who listened to an hour lecture with classical music playing in the background 
scored significantly higher on a quiz on the topic, than did those who didn’t hear any music. “It is possible that music, provoking a change in the learning
 environment, influenced the students’ motivation to remain focused during the lecture, which led to 
better performance on the multiple-choice quiz,” the study authors wrote.

Classical music has also been shown to give a noticeable boost to your IQ. One study found that IQ scores related to spatial skills rose eight to nine points after the subjects listened to Mozart. And another study, which looked at radiologists who listened to Baroque classical music at work, suggested that the music could help boost their productivity.

Of course, there’s also plenty of research to show that classical music isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Some research, for example, has found that silence is actually the key to being productive.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why am I being chased?

I get my symphony from Film Scores. I'm not sure if that has overlap with Classical.

Last year I was close to 45k. B

I hate classical music, but if listening to it will make me richer then ok
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I hate classical music, but if listening to it will make me richer then ok
    Next year poll will make them drop to second place.

Can't say I'm surprised when it comes to Classical music.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Where's da Blues?
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Secretly , I was always aware top 40 sub culture would make me poor so I avoided it . I will celebrate with over priced draft beer at the pub and tell the bartender how smart I am and see what his take is on it ( he looks like he could be a closet rap music guy ) .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Considering the state of the vehicles I see blaring rap/hip-hop, I am having trouble believing this study.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    Considering the state of the vehicles I see blaring rap/hip-hop, I am having trouble believing this study.
    Good point . I drive an '04 Ford F 150 and change my own oil . The wheels on those Lincolns with the rap look like they cost two 1800's gold ten dollar coins ( about 1180.00 FRN's)
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Good point . I drive an '04 Ford F 150 and change my own oil . The wheels on those Lincolns with the rap look like they cost two 1800's gold ten dollar coins ( about 1180.00 FRN's)
    I read some articles about some women saying they liked a man who would spend a lot of money for that gaudy crap on their cars. They thought that it was a sign they had money. That's a foolish outlook. There are better things to spend money on. Then again where I grew up, the richest man in town would wear the most ripped up overalls and drive the most beat up truck so people wouldn't think he had money. That money saved went back to making more money.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I read some articles about some women saying they liked a man who would spend a lot of money for that gaudy crap on their cars. They thought that it was a sign they had money. That's a foolish outlook. There are better things to spend money on. Then again where I grew up, the richest man in town would wear the most ripped up overalls and drive the most beat up truck so people wouldn't think he had money. That money saved went back to making more money.
    It was also a sign they probably did honest work to earn that money they had. Rich people today get rich by exploitation and shady backroom deals, getting bought out by Google, or getting Govt to fund some public thing. Kind of like the ISPs are now complaining they cant increase speeds without "more money from govt". Why is it always necessary that to get rich, you have to get the money from Govt and not by doing Honest WORK?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

So looks like millennials make more than the US median income of $59,000 a year (unless they are into country music). Poll only covers millennials- did they only poll their own customers?

How much do they make?

https://smartasset.com/retirement/th...f-a-millennial

To find the average millennial earnings, SmartAsset crunched the numbers using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. We counted millennial Americans as those who were between 16 and 34 in 2015. We found that the average salary of a millennial is $684 per week or $35,592 per year. That’s for what the BLS calls “wage and salary workers, excluding incorporated self employed.”
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-19-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I read some articles about some women saying they liked a man who would spend a lot of money for that gaudy crap on their cars. They thought that it was a sign they had money. That's a foolish outlook. There are better things to spend money on.
    That's because woemen have gone insane.

Nothing will drive a woeman away faster than being a broke ass man.

Nothing will make you a broke ass man faster than buying all the gaudy shallow $#@! woemen want to see you festooned with.

I gotta hand it to Mrs. AF though...when we first met I had a twenty year old F100 spot covered in gray primer over factory deep blue.

She thought it was a hippy dippy mural of clouds of some sort at first.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    So looks like millennials make more than the US median income of $59,000 a year (unless they are into country music). Poll only covers millennials. But how much do they make?

https://smartasset.com/retirement/th...f-a-millennial
    Seems like they should be repaying all those student loans then.
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nice to see the Asians have not completely lost their minds either.

They'll still be here when what's left of the west is a smoking ghetto.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Nice to see the Asians have not completely lost their minds either.

They'll still be here when what's left of the west is a smoking ghetto.

Yup. Between them and the Russians, the East is going to save civilization when the West commits suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Yup. Between them and the Russians, the East is going to save civilization when the West commits suicide.

Multiculturalism has no future eh?
    Do you support border enforcement and limited immigration then?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

They left out 70s Rock because I would skew the results ($8.60/hour part time minimum wage as a cashier).
    If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
    Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    Where's da Blues?
    I mostly listen to da blues and I've made almost 400.00 in the past 20 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That's because woemen have gone insane.

Nothing will drive a woeman away faster than being a broke ass man.

Nothing will make you a broke ass man faster than buying all the gaudy shallow $#@! woemen want to see you festooned with.

I gotta hand it to Mrs. AF though...when we first met I had a twenty year old F100 spot covered in gray primer over factory deep blue.

She thought it was a hippy dippy mural of clouds of some sort at first.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by not.your.average.joe View Post
    They left out 70s Rock because I would skew the results ($8.60/hour part time minimum wage as a cashier).
    I too do classic rock only I'm self employed which translates to making less than you some months...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Electric for me. The only fancy $#@! I put on my XC60 is a prancing moose sticker. My wife still doesn't get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I mostly listen to da blues and I've made almost 400.00 in the past 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

500k, here I come! I listen to most of those genres - wonder why they left out big band jazz? Oh, and bluegrass...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"