Thread: CA: New bill will mandate water or milk as first choices for kids at restaurants

Exclamation CA: New bill will mandate water or milk as first choices for kids at restaurants

Milk Or Water: California Bill Aims To Curb Kids’ Soda Drinking At Restaurants

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018...a-restaurants/

By Adrienne Moore
    August 16, 2018 at 11:31 pm

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — A new state bill would give kids two options with their meals at restaurants—water or milk.

Senate Bill 1192 would make water or milk the default drink for kids meals in a push to reduce obesity and access to sugary drinks for children.

The bill passed the Assembly and is on its way to Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk. If he signs it, California would be the first state in the nation to have such a law.

No one gets in the way of Isaiah Palacios and his soda.

“I need my root beer, I need my Fanta, I need my Sprite,” he said.

But California lawmakers could make that sugary fix harder to get as a new effort to impact the eating habits of children gains momentum at the state Capitol.

“Cancer is fought in the halls of government, not just in the halls of the hospital,” said Stephanie Winn with the American Cancer Society.

Her group is one of many supporting the bill that would force restaurants to automatically serve water or milk with kids meals instead of juice or soda. She argues children’s meals shouldn’t come with a side order of diseases.

“Some of these kids are drinking up to three sodas a day. This is setting them up for tremendous cancer risks down the road. Because now we know that 20 percent of all cancers are tied to being overweight,” she said.

The bill would still allow parents to order alternatives; they would just have to ask for it.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It should be called the UnHappyMeal act.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It should be called the UnHappyMeal act.
    Upholding the law to repel an invading demographic army is fascism.

Passing laws mandating what kids get served for drinks, the insane minutiae of it, is progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Upholding the law to repel an invading demographic army is fascism.

Passing laws mandating what kids get served for drinks, the insane minutiae of it, is progressive.
    Da, comrade.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

When I was a kid, that was half the fun of going out. All we got at home was water, milk and sometimes lemon aid.

So with that kind of law, it's like saying, people can't decide for themselves when to let their kids splurge on soda.

But hey... one coast they ban large soda cups and on the other they flat out ban soda for kids.

(Maybe they should use some paper straws and make it all better.)

Next kids are going to think they are grown up when they can finally have a soda with their dinner. Used to be that way with beer.... sigh...

I drank a lot of fruit juice when I was a kid . I turned out fine .
    Do something Danke

Cancer is fought in the halls of government
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I was thinking the halls of govt are the cancer
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I drank a lot of fruit juice when I was a kid . I turned out fine .

mmmmkay. I think these bureaucrats might have a point.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    mmmmkay. I think these bureaucrats might have a point.
    Those Revenuers are not welcome here .
    Do something Danke

Would be nice to see a group picture of all the people that want to mandate diet. Are they physically fit? If not then do they take the stance that fat people need to be protected? It is probably rare to get healthy food at an eat out establishment. The government should just turn the kids away at the door. Furthermore, healthy food does not come in a prepared box at the grocery store. For that matter, with GMO food and antibiotic/steroid laden foods, it is probably difficult to get healthy food at a market. Which brings us to how the government must regulate any person raising chickens, rabbits, any livestock, fruits, vegetables, or any material meant for consumption or could be used for consumption by any person anywhere. The only food eligible for consumption will be what is still alive after being sprayed by FDA approved weed killers, insecticides, or whatever chemical on the approved list. The picture I see is everything dead except a thriving food source that is approved for consumption.