Thread: Woman denied job for ‘ghetto’ name, but company blames hacker

Exclamation Woman denied job for ‘ghetto’ name, but company blames hacker

Woman denied job for ‘ghetto’ name, but company blames hacker

https://nypost.com/2018/08/15/woman-...blames-hacker/

By Joshua Rhett Miller August 15, 2018 | 10:43am

A Missouri woman said she’s hurt and distraught after being denied a job because her name was considered too “ghetto” — but company officials insist a hacker sent the racist message.

Hermeisha Robinson, of Bellefontaine Neighbors, shared her experience with Mantality Health in Chesterfield in a Facebook post on Monday, saying she was discriminated against due to her name — even though she had what it takes to fill the job post.

“I have a public service announcement,” Robinson wrote in an all-caps post. “I am very upset because today I received an email about this job that I applied for as a customer service representative at Mantality Health … I know I’m well qualified for the position as they seen on my resume!”

Robinson’s post continued: “They discriminated against me because of my name which they considered it to be ‘ghetto’ for their company! My feelings are very hurt and they even got me second guessing my name trying to figure out if my name is really that ‘ghetto.’”

Robinson asked friends to share her post, saying the “discrimination has to stop,” but company officials contend the message isn’t authentic, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Kevin Meuret, the CEO of the clinic that treats men with low testosterone, told the newspaper on Tuesday that someone from outside Missouri hacked into its email system, most likely a disgruntled former employee.

“Thank you for your interest in careers at Mantality Health,” read the response to Robinson. “Unfortunately we do not consider candidates that have suggestive ‘ghetto’ names. We wish you the best in your career search.”

Meuret said about 20 potential employees got emails from the hacker. Reports have since been filed with police in both Chesterfield and St. Louis County, he said.

“I’m a father of three daughters, and that young lady getting that [response] is horrible,” Meuret told the newspaper. “That young lady opened something that must have felt like a freight train, and that’s unacceptable.”

Meuret promised to “pursue this even if it becomes a federal matter,” he told the Post-Dispatch.

In a statement to The Post, Meuret said the password for an independent job board site used by the company was compromised Monday.

“We are currently working with law enforcement to identify the perpetrator and consider appropriate legal action,” the statement read. “We share the anger and frustration of those who received these bogus emails.”

Robinson, meanwhile, told The Post Wednesday that she’s still reeling from the pure hatred exposed in the hacked message.

“The first thing that went through my mind is how could someone just outright say something so mean like that,” Robinson said. “I wasn’t expecting that from a job. I didn’t name myself, I didn’t give myself this name. How can people be so mean, and so horrible?”

It was the first time Robinson applied to the company and she had not been contacted by anyone investigating the matter as of Wednesday, she said.

“It just makes me not want to do anything,” she said of the entire ordeal. “I don’t want to do anything anymore: go outside, say my name to people, anything.”

Robinson’s job hunt is still ongoing. She wouldn’t accept a job at the testosterone clinic even if one were offered to her at this point, she said.

“I wouldn’t feel safe,” she told The Post. “If some hacker got my email to reach me, they have my Social Security number, my birthday, they have everything. It just wouldn’t be a good working environment.”

Robinson’s cousin, Miltina Burnett, posted a screenshot of a message she received Monday from company officials indicating that a former employee hacked into the company’s system.

But regardless of the authenticity of the messages, the damage for Robinson has been very real, she said.

“Discrimination is real, and it has to stop,” Robinson told The Post. “You shouldn’t discriminate against anybody.”
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hermeisha Robinson
    She should go by the nickname Hermie - everyone likes Hermie.

“It just makes me not want to do anything,” she said of the entire ordeal. “I don’t want to do anything anymore: go outside, say my name to people, anything.”
    Ya got trolled. It wasn't nice but that's a bit of an overreaction.

Robinson’s cousin, Miltina Burnett
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Odds are she got someone to hack the company.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

This whole story sounds ghetto. God I hate this century.
    "The Patriarch"

I'm more offended by the name of the business.

Where do they get the right to call themselves, Mantality Health?

It is offensive towards those suffering with mental health issues and is demeaning towards women.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    I'm more offended by the name of the business.

Where do they get the right to call themselves, Mantality Health?

It is offensive towards those suffering with mental health issues and is demeaning towards women.
    Its a male vitality clinic hence the name Man(tality). Don't ask me how I know this, because I have never ever been to their clinic here in Omaha. My T levels are off the hook

My daughter had to interview 3 times for a minimum wage job early this summer.

Employers hardly ever say why they don't hire or fire. Usually they don't even respond.

I know I’m well qualified for the position as they seen on my resume!”
    Yeah, ya kinda talk ghetto, too.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I know I’m well qualified for the position as they seen
    Ignorant $#@! can't even type coherent English..

Maybe McDonalds is hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Ignorant $#@! can't even type coherent English..

Maybe McDonalds is hiring.
    McDonalds must be sued for robot privilege.

Government needs to get out front ahead of this issue. There needs to be a mandate that for every x number of robots, there needs to be x number of human workers. There needs to be a mandate that robots cannot fix robots. If a human is not skilled to repair a robot, the human needs to be promoted to oversee the person capable of fixing the robot.