Thread: Hating Whitey: NY Times Runs Advice Column on Curing White-skin Privilege

Hating Whitey: NY Times Runs Advice Column on Curing White-skin Privilege

No, it isn’t the Onion, just an example of truth being stranger than fiction: Proving why it hired anti-white bigot Sarah Jeong, the New York Times has just published an advice column on curing white-skin privilege.

The “Style” piece was inspired by a letter from a reader going under the name “Whitey,” and, well, you can’t make this stuff up (or can you?). Here’s part of it:
    Dear Sugars,
    I’m riddled with shame. White shame. This isn’t helpful to me or to anyone, especially people of color. I feel like there is no “me” outside of my white/upper middle class/cisgender identity. I feel like my literal existence hurts people, like I’m always taking up space that should belong to someone else.
    I consider myself an ally. I research proper etiquette, read writers of color, vote in a way that will not harm P.O.C. (and other vulnerable people). I engage in conversations about privilege with other white people. I take courses that will further educate me. I donated to Black Lives Matter. Yet I fear that nothing is enough. Part of my fear comes from the fact that privilege is invisible to itself. What if I’m doing or saying insensitive things without realizing it?
    Another part of it is that I’m currently immersed in the whitest environment I’ve ever been in.
    Whitey
    The pained reader explained that while she’d grown up attending majority-non-white schools, her problems are now exacerbated because she’s currently at an elite, 75-percent white private college. She laments in closing, “Instead of harnessing my privilege for greater good, I’m curled up in a ball of shame. How can I be more than my heritage?

Wow, Sacha Baron Cohen, is that you? Are you punking via print now? American Thinker’s Monica Showalter emphasizes that Whitey’s letter isn’t a joke, but I’m not so sure. Commenters under Showalter’s piece suspect the Times of concocting the letter itself as a rhetorical device. While this is unlikely, it wouldn’t surprise me if a reader is using parody to make the Times look foolish; it’s a bit like how a woman years ago tricked the art world into thinking her toddler’s tomato-ketchup paintings were great art.

Yet it doesn’t matter. First, there actually are people who believe as Whitey does (examples in a moment). Second, the Times advice columnists’ responses illustrate why the paper hired bigoted Sarah Jeong — now infamous for disgorging vile, vulgar anti-white tweets — and why she’ll feel right at home at the birdcage-liner of record. Here’s a sampling of representative comments from the Times advice-column oracles:
    • “What you really feel is trapped within an identity that marks you, inescapably, as an oppressor.… We do live in a culture steeped in white supremacy and class bigotry, as well as patriarchal values.”
    • “You’re feeling the full force of what it means to be white in a white supremacist culture and it makes you feel uncomfortable because up until now, in some unconscious way, you’d exonerated yourself from it.”
    • “It took me many years to begin to recognize these advantages [his own] as unearned, the product of corrupt systems stacked in my favor.”
    • “Your race granted you privileges that were and are denied to people who are not white. This is true for all white people in America.”

Whether or not Whitey is serious, the two columnists rendering the above certainly are.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/cultu...skin-privilege
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I feel like my literal existence hurts people, like I’m always taking up space that should belong to someone else.
    Kill yourself then...I'm sure there are a million colored people or wierdosexuals that will happily occupy your space once you're worm food.

Self genocidal whites...the single greatest threat.

It’s easy to fall victim to a spoof when your ideology itself is indistinguishable from satire. The New York Times may learn this the hard way after, if a hoaxing comedienne can be believed, it got trolled and rolled by her alleged authorship of the letter “How Can I Cure My White Guilt?"
    Written under the pseudonym “Whitey,” the letter was a wholly ridiculous lamentation about how the author was pained by her own white privilege. “I’m riddled with shame. White shame,” she opened — and the Times not only ate it up; it licked that plate clean providing politically correct advice to the poor suffering Caucasian reader.
    Since then, a foul-mouthed comedienne going under the name Titania McGrath has taken credit for the letter. As she tweeted Thursday:

For the record, here’s what I wrote reporting on this story the day before, responding to the letter’s inane subject matter:
    Wow, Sacha Baron Cohen, is that you? Are you punking via print now? American Thinker’s Monica Showalter emphasizes that Whitey’s letter isn’t a joke, but I’m not so sure. Commenters under Showalter’s piece suspect the Times of concocting the letter itself as a rhetorical device. While this is unlikely, it wouldn’t surprise me if a reader is using parody to make the Times look foolish; it’s a bit like how a woman years ago tricked the art world into thinking her toddler’s tomato-ketchup paintings were great art.
    My suspicions were raised, mind you, not by the letter’s Through the Looking Glass quality; with leftism’s cultural ascendancy, truth today really has become stranger than fiction. But it just seemed too perfect in its lunacy.
    This isn’t to say that McGrath, assuming she actually is the author, didn’t do a good job. Looking at her Twitter feed, she seems to aspire to be the third millennium’s Andy Kaufman, a comic who keeps one confused about when he is and isn’t serious to the point where, if he dies, his friends and relatives suspect it’s just another act.

Of course, we can’t be sure that a would-be Andy Kaufman is telling the truth, but as American Thinker’s Thomas Lifson wrote Friday, “I don’t know if the New York Times was hoaxed by a comedian pretending to be ridiculously PC about collective ‘white guilt,’ and it almost doesn’t matter. The fact that the New York Times published this op-ed is simultaneously horrifying and hilarious (‘horrifarious’ in the very useful neologism coined by talk show host Joe Getty).”
    In reality, the Times’ issue isn’t that that it might have gotten trolled, but that leftism, its working “ideology” (it’s a process, really), is now often indistinguishable from satire. “Whitey’s” letter actually aligned perfectly with what’s now taught in many schools and colleges about the “problem of whiteness.” No one is stupid for having believed it was genuine — he’s stupid for believing white-privilege pap in the first place.
    This is why McGrath, who seems perturbed that some Twitter respondents don’t believe her authorship claims, probably won’t get the exposure she’d like from her alleged hoax: Acting nutty in a nuthouse just doesn’t stand out. Abnormal is becoming today’s new normal — and the Times fits right in.
    Speaking of which, Lifson closes his piece with the money line, “So far, no satirists have claimed credit for getting Sarah Jeong hired for the editorial board at the Times.” No, at that paper truth is stranger, and dumber, than fiction. You can’t trump its journalists with feigned insanity — they’ve got the real thing.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/cultu...e-guilt-letter
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment