Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Farm-Export Prices Drop Most Since 2011

U.S. Farm-Export Prices Drop Most Since 2011

U.S. Farm-Export Prices Drop Most Since 2011

By Jeff Kearns
    August 14, 2018, 8:30 AM EDTUpdated on August 14, 2018, 8:52 AM EDT

Prices for U.S. farm exports dropped in July by the most in more than six years as a trade war with China heated up, Labor Department figures showed Tuesday.

Agricultural export prices fell 5.3 percent from the prior month, the biggest drop since October 2011, as soybean prices plummeted 14.1 percent. Export prices for corn, wheat, fruits and nuts also slumped in July. The overall export price index dropped 0.5 percent, the most since May 2017, the department said. The figures exclude the price effect from any tariffs.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...amid-trade-war

Kind of strange, since i was assured on here that tariffs and trade wars can't affect prices. Must be unrelated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Our country was built on tariffs. They are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post

Kind of strange,...
    What's really strange is how a progressive Democrat like you keeps bothering the sleeping dogs on RPF. Care you share why you made the thread?
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Lower prices are good for consumers. Democrats hate poor people

[

Kind of strange, since i was assured on here that tariffs and trade wars can't affect prices. Must be unrelated.
    I am pretty sure this never actually happened, Mr. Strawman.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Hallucinating again I see, for one democrats are the ones always pushing for rent control, price control, subsidies etc etc to artificially lower the financial burden on poor people. Secondly, nobody said anything about democrats? try and keep the discussion within the scope of the OP .

Most importantly, this post shows how low you are willing to go in order to defend a perceived attack on the president. Low prices are good for the consumers, free stuff are good for the consumers but lower prices coming about due to govt regulation and intervention(in this case tariffs) will only hurt consumers in the long run. For one, some of the farmers now losing thousands of dollars from this regulation (if bailout doesn't fall through) will lose their businesses. The other ones would make adjustment and plant less which in turn will result in fewer farm produce and a return to old prices. The whole economy would be poorer for this and may poor people will be worse off at the end.

I don't care how much of a Donald Trump fan boy you are but if this story is true, there are no positive ways of spinning it. Anyone who finds a way to spin in a positive way govt price manipulation by increase in regulations and controls is no fan of the free market.

This is why it stings so bad when statist supporters like yourself call me a communist.

Yes, but these prices aren't low for the consumer. They're being taxed before they get to the consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    Yes, but these prices aren't low for the consumer. They're being taxed before they get to the consumer.
    The prices are 14% lower for the consumers which I say must feel nice for anyone buying soy beans. That is because the demand for the soy beans have been affected by govt intervention.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    Are we taxing exports?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Hallucinating again I see, for one democrats are the ones always pushing for rent control, price control, subsidies etc etc to artificially lower the financial burden on poor people. Secondly, nobody said anything about democrats? try and keep the discussion within the scope of the OP ..
    Shut up, maggot.

You immediately jump in with rent controls, price controls and subsidies then tell me to stay on topic?

Go away, and take Zip and the Count with you.
    Last edited by angelatc; 08-15-2018 at 02:24 PM.

That is correct.
    Do something Danke

Bad for farmers. Especially small farms- the corporate farmers can survive more easily. Do you hate farmers?

Thousands of SC soybean farmers face big financial losses amid Trump’s tariffs

In an 800-acre field in Sumter, flowers begin to bloom and pods begin to grow: This is what soybeans look like mid-season during early August.

“It’s making its crop right now,” said John Rivers, of Rivers Farms.

Come November, these soybeans will be harvested and sold mostly to a local feed company. What price they will bring is anyone’s guess.

The Chicago Board of Trade sets the prices, and last year, Rivers sold his soybeans at about $10.30 per bushel. This summer, soybean prices have dropped in the wake of a U.S.-China trade war spurred by tariffs announced by President Donald Trump. The current price is $8.94 per bushel. China’s retaliatory tariffs against American exports will hurt soybean and pork producers, The Associated Press reported.

As a result, Rivers has sold only 10 percent of his crop so far. If he sells all of his crop at the $8.94 per bushel price in November, he will have lost an annual profit of about $80,000. Soybeans have become the third-largest cash crop in South Carolina, according to the National Agricultural Statistics Service.
    Rivers has crop insurance, but that will not pay out for losses due to tariffs. While the lower prices may drive some soybean farmers into extinction, Rivers said he is confident in his farm’s future — with or without federal aid.

“I’m not an aid package kind of person,” he said. “I don’t want a handout. I’d like a fair market value. ... I’d like to be able to be profitable.
    More at link.

Trump wants $12 billion in taxes from you to help bail them out.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-15-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Ohmehgerds, teh sky is falling!

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Bad for farmers.

See? Democrats hate poor people.

See? Democrats hate poor people.
    Are u really this daft? zippy was talking about poor farmers who are barely making it, he is asking you what about those poor farmers and you respond with this? My god, is there a depth deep enough that you people wouldn't go to defend your president? whenever I think "OK, they have done it, they have hit rock bottom, there is no point lower than this" and you come up with this stuff.

There is TDS and there is this. One thing I will give you is that your loyalty to this president is knows no bounds

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The liberals are horrible people. They are all butthurt about the tariffs and insist that it will drive small businesses under, but look in the wage threads and they're insisting that higher wages won't hurt businesses.

It's a shame this place allows these fools here. Note the stuff he didn't highlight in the article.
    As a result, Rivers has sold only 10 percent of his crop so far. If he sells all of his crop at the $8.94 per bushel price in November, he will have lost an annual profit of about $80,000. Soybeans have become the third-largest cash crop in South Carolina, according to the National Agricultural Statistics Service.

Rivers has crop insurance, but that will not pay out for losses due to tariffs. While the lower prices may drive some soybean farmers into extinction, Rivers said he is confident in his farm’s future — with or without federal aid.

“I’m not an aid package kind of person,” he said. “I don’t want a handout. I’d like a fair market value. ... I’d like to be able to be profitable.”
    Losing profit isn't the same as taking a loss. And they couldn't actually interview a farmer who was going to take a loss? Gee, I wonder why.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Are u really this daft? zippy was talking about poor farmers who are barely making it, he is asking you what about those poor farmers and you respond with this? My god, is there a depth deep enough that you people wouldn't go to defend your president? whenever I think "OK, they have done it, they have hit rock bottom, there is no point lower than this" and you come up with this stuff.

There is TDS and there is this. One thing I will give you is that your loyalty to this president is knows no bounds
    You are not a Libertarian. You are no longer a Ron Paul supporter. You are not a Rand Paul supporter. You do not belong here. Go away.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...amid-trade-war

Again, not only did that never happen, the article you posted clearly states The figures exclude the price effect from any tariffs.

Troll.

Typical excuse statists use to deflect criticisms of small increases in taxes coming from our resident conservative. He is so principled and small govt advocate that he is opposed some thing as insignificant as reporting a known drunk driver to the police

Typical statist: You small govt people are so whinny that you think an increase of 0.05% in gas taxes is going to hurt the economy. And in a sarcastic voice "Oh the sky is falling, the sky is falling".

Staples, paper clips, film, camera's, pictures, movie camera's, GPS devices, CD's, cassettes, soybeans. When demand for something diminishes, change is required.

Here , poor farmers barely making it do not accept govt money and have jobs . I oppose the USDA and subsidies . So you know , those nearly all go to corporations and wealthy people.
    Do something Danke

You are not a Libertarian. You are no longer a Ron Paul supporter. You are not a Rand Paul supporter. You do not belong here. Go away.
    I will not support Ron, Rand or anybody for that matter who does something I disagree with. So when Rand foolishly says that he wants to carve out a homeland for the Kurds in Syria, Iraq and Turkey, I will not in any way shape or form support that. In fact, I will come on here and voice my disagreement.

This is unlike some people who will blindly support xxx politician no matter what they do. As for leaving this place, I was actually planning on leaving but knowing that I will be leaving it to the likes of u makes me want to stay back and counter your statist propaganda you and your kind spread on this forum daily. Its a dirty, unrewarding job, but someone has to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Here , poor farmers barely making it do not accept govt money and have jobs . I oppose the USDA and subsidies . So you know , those nearly all go to corporations and wealthy people.
    I didn't say all the farmers will go out of business, but farmers who borrowed a lot of money for equipment and are on the edge may go bankrupt from this govt intervention in the market. There is a reason some a calling for bailout for farmers.

Typical excuse statists use to deflect criticisms of small increases in taxes coming from our resident conservative. He is so principled and small govt advocate that he is opposed some thing as insignificant as reporting a known drunk driver to the police

Typical statist: You small govt people are so whinny that you think an increase of 0.05% in gas taxes is going to hurt the economy. And in a sarcastic voice "Oh the sky is falling, the sky is falling".
    You are quite amusing. Please spend an inordinate amount of time responding again to me.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I didn't say all the farmers will go out of business, but farmers who borrowed a lot of money for equipment and are on the edge may go bankrupt from this govt intervention in the market. There is a reason some a calling for bailout for farmers.
    Please provide sources.

Financing equipment is a mistake . We have never done that . If prices drop and weather cooperates you can basically make enough off of , say , wheat ( etc ) to cover seed , fertilizer , fuel , property tax and make a few bucks , if prices go up and the same then about the same again and make more than a few bucks . Notice that margin does not really fit with a new million dollar combine with interest payments . I oppose bailouts .
    Do something Danke

When bankruptcy happens that allows others to acquire the equipment and use it productively.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    When bankruptcy happens that allows others to acquire the equipment and use it productively.
    Yes
    Do something Danke

You are quite amusing. Please spend an inordinate amount of time responding again to me.
    O, how the mighty have fallen. Once upon a time, some of the big name posters on this forum used to have principles, never used to sound like statist but now Trump is in power, they have lost what's left of their minds.

You continue to make this sort of posts, be rest assured that I will be waiting in the wings to call you out. Oh yea boys, I will be the small govt constable keeping an eagle eye out for statist mayhem and malfeasance in this forum. And I got my eye on you

Please provide sources.
    Sources for what?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast