Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California May Become First State To Require Companies To Have Women On Their Boards

California May Become First State To Require Companies To Have Women On Their Boards

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/18/08...n-their-boards

Two female state senators from California are spearheading a bill to require companies to have women on their boards. "SB 826, which won Senate approval with only Democratic votes and has until the end of August to clear the Assembly, would require publicly held companies headquartered in California to have at least one woman on their boards of directors by end of next year," reports TechCrunch. "By 2021, companies with boards of five directors must have at least two women, and companies with six-member boards must have at least three women. Firms failing to comply would face a fine." From the report:

"Gender diversity brings a variety of perspectives to the table that can help foster new and innovative ideas," said Democratic Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson of Santa Barbara, who is sponsoring the bill with Senate President Pro Tem Toni Atkins of San Diego. "It's not only the right thing to do, it's good for a company's bottom line."

Yet critics of the bill say it violates the federal and state constitutions. Business associations say the rule would require companies to discriminate against men wanting to serve on boards, as well as conflict with corporate law that says the internal affairs of a corporation should be governed by the state law in which it is incorporated. This bill would apply to companies headquartered in California. [A] legislative analysis of the bill cautioned that it could get challenged on equal protection grounds, and that it would be difficult to defend, requiring the state to prove a compelling government interest in such a quota system for a private corporation.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Lightbulb Gender identity change - Drag Queens to the rescue

Affirmative Action for FemiNazis. Can't some of the guys currently on the board of directors, just choose to identify as the female gender?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Oh, California....

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Broads on Boards.

Jan2017

Laughs aside . . . I have a corporation - it is an entity - that's about all you CAN govern.

Easy enough to beat. The guys at the top just claim being "transgender" in court!
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Or maybe put people on boards judging by their merit and not gender. But of course leave it to California to not understand common sense.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    World's 5th largest eekonomee gais!!1
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

I don't see what the problem is, at this rate there won't ever be any women in these places.

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    I don't see what the problem is, at this rate there won't ever be any women in these places.
    Government intervention is always a problem, it doesn't matter if there are never any women in those places but putting women who don't earn their place in them by force will cause mismanagement, it is also just tyrannical.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

No, there are women capable, but a lot of places lad culture is strong, I've seen it myself like how men just don't really care about any form of equality. I.e. conservatives, religious doers. And so on. I'm not stating that liberal folk can't be bad in this area, but having at least one woman in company is the correct path to go, and I doubt that everyone that turns up at one wouldn't be qualified.

No, there are women capable, but a lot of places lad culture is strong, I've seen it myself like how men just don't really care about any form of equality. I.e. conservatives, religious doers. And so on. I'm not stating that liberal folk can't be bad in this area, but having at least one woman in company is the correct path to go, and I doubt that everyone that turns up at one wouldn't be qualified.
    A qualified woman wouldn't need to be inserted via legislation.

If they are so capable they can overcome obstacles or build their own companies.

One way or another private property is private and government has no business getting involved.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes in an ideal true. But in some places, men don't want women.

Some believe a woman is more for family, and other complements for men, not interfering in their work culture. That happens in California you know. Its not a liberal utopia.

Some believe a woman is more for family, and other complements for men, not interfering in their work culture. That happens in California you know. Its not a liberal utopia.
    One way or another private property is private and government has no business getting involved.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think it is an extension of Affirmative Action, extended to women.

If women do a good job, they will be on the board with or without the law. The law can only hurt the companies. What this really also says if you read between the lines is that Men deserve NO Rights and are disposable. The war on Men, the ones who die in wars, will continue until the men are weakened to the point they can no longer be what they were meant to be, free and independent.
    1776 > 1984

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I think it is an extension of Affirmative Action, extended to women.

If women do a good job, they will be on the board with or without the law. The law can only hurt the companies. What this really also says if you read between the lines is that Men deserve NO Rights and are disposable. The war on Men, the ones who die in wars, will continue until the men are weakened to the point they can no longer be what they were meant to be, free and independent.
    I think it is a reflection of the changing economy. Most companies are not profitable so it really does not matter what they do or who's on the board. Why only men would be on the boards?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I think it is a reflection of the changing economy. Most companies are not profitable so it really does not matter what they do or who's on the board. Why only men would be on the boards?
    I think there may be some sexism. At the same time, if women really are equal and can do anything mentally a man can do, then is it sexism that keeps women off the boards, or is there news bias and women are already on the board, but its a full woman take over?
    1776 > 1984

How many of the women have to be Hispanic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

I live in California. I do not believe there is one major corporation here that categorically won't hire women. Silicon Valley is desperate for female employees, for example.

Easy enough to beat. The guys at the top just claim being "transgender" in court!
    Just memorize this phrase: "I am a transsexual lesbian woman, masculine-presenting". If they are credulous, add "and a 7 foot tall Chinese astronaut".

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    I live in California. I do not believe there is one major corporation here that categorically won't hire women. Silicon Valley is desperate for female employees, for example.
    Not on the board.

Government got involved the moment the corporate charter was granted.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Government got involved the moment the corporate charter was granted.
    They still don't have a right to dictate this kind of thing after the charter was granted, you might be able to say that they could make it a condition of all new corporate charters but they are doing it retroactively.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They still don't have a right to dictate this kind of thing after the charter was granted, you might be able to say that they could make it a condition of all new corporate charters but they are doing it retroactively.
    Actually, they do. Both the California Constitution and the California Corporations Code reserve to the legislature the power to amend or repeal laws pertaining to corporations, and these provisions become part of every corporate charter issued by the state. See California Jurisprudence 3d §4:

§ 4 Amendment or repeal of existing law

The California Constitution provides that all laws of the state concerning corporations may be altered from time to time or repealed,n1 and the Code empowers the legislature to amend or repeal all or any portion of the General Corporation Law.n2 The statutes reserving this power are a part of the corporation's charter and a part of the contract of every shareholder of a corporation.n3 In other words, by becoming a shareholder, one gives an implied assent to the right of the legislature to alter and amend the lawn4 just as the corporation has impliedly consented to be bound by the laws of this state.n5 This right is limited to amendment of the general law, and every such amendment must be made applicable to all corporations of the same class.n6

Footnotes
    • n1
    Cal. Const. art. XX, § 5.
    • n2
    Corp. Code, § 100, subd. (b).
    • n3
    Rainey v. Michel, 6 Cal. 2d 259, 57 P.2d 932, 105 A.L.R. 148 (1936); Silva v. Coastal Plywood & Timber Co., 124 Cal. App. 2d 276, 268 P.2d 510 (3d Dist. 1954); Heller Inv. Co. v. Southern Title & Trust Co., 17 Cal. App. 2d 202, 61 P.2d 807 (4th Dist. 1936).
    • n4
    Wilson v. Cherokee Drift Mining Co., 14 Cal. 2d 56, 92 P.2d 802 (1939); Demello v. Dairyman's Co-Operative Creamery, 73 Cal. App. 2d 746, 167 P.2d 226 (4th Dist. 1946) (wherein an amendment authorized a reorganization and forced dissenting shareholders to accept the plan or liquidate their shares and retire from the business).
    • n5
    Pacific Gas & Elec. Co. v. State, 214 Cal. 369, 6 P.2d 78 (1931).
    • n6
    City and County of San Francisco v. Spring Valley Waterworks, 48 Cal. 493, 1874 WL 1383 (1874).

This isn't to say that the proposed quota system for corporate boards is a good idea -- it's incredibly stupid and may very well be unconstitutional. But as a matter of state corporation law it appears to be within the power of the state legislature.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Actually, they do. Both the California Constitution and the California Corporations Code reserve to the legislature the power to amend or repeal laws pertaining to corporations, and these provisions become part of every corporate charter issued by the state. See California Jurisprudence 3d §4:

This isn't to say that the proposed quota system for corporate boards is a good idea -- it's incredibly stupid and may very well be unconstitutional. But as a matter of state corporation law it appears to be within the power of the state legislature.
    If it is unconstitutional it is not within the power of the state legislature.
    The Constitution is the supreme law of the land.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If it is unconstitutional it is not within the power of the state legislature.
    The Constitution is the supreme law of the land.
    But it wouldn't be unconstitutional simply because it would apply to existing charters -- that's the point. The legislature's reservation of the power to amend or repeal corporation laws means that its doing so wouldn't amount to impairing the obligations of a contract in violation of the Contracts Clause in I.10.1. Any unconstitutionality would have to be based on something else, such as discrimination based on sex. But all this is highly academic as I can't see that even the wackos in the California legislature would ever pass this piece of bilge.
    Erwin N. Griswold

Anonymous

California May Become First State To Require Companies To Have Women On Their Boards
    Not good enough!

Need minority women, no whites and possibly no "cisgenders"..

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Not good enough!

Need minority women, no whites and possibly no "cisgenders"..
    War on White Men while claiming White Privilege.
    1776 > 1984

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast