View Poll Results: Are u personally angry at customers or players who refuse to stand for anthem at sport events?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, angry at customers only.

0 0%
  • Yes, angry at players only.

0 0%
  • Yes, angry at both customers and players.

1 7.69%
  • Not angry at customers or players.

12 92.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are u personally angry at customers or players who refuse to stand for anthem at sport events?

Are u personally angry at customers or players who refuse to stand for anthem at sport events?

Are u personally angry at customers or players who refuse to stand for anthem at sport events?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I personally don't care. Theres worse things going on in this country than some football players refusing to stand.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

No. I used to go to my children's sporting events and did not like standing for the anthem. People stand because of tribal mentality and some false perception of patriotism.

It doesn't reach anger with me, I'm just mildly disgusted.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    Me ? no . If I owned a team my players would stand . It is a business and they will do what the customer base would like . No different than bagging groceries when I was a kid .
    Do something Danke

Why is the anthem being played?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Why is the anthem being played?
    Why was a flag hanging in my high school gym when the entire thing was bought and pd for back then with local tax dollars and no fed funds ?
    Do something Danke

Im not. To me, it is as much of a form of Free Speech as Flag Burning.

Although I dont like it, I have to respect it as much as I want my own Free Speech to remain protected. I understand why they do it however. They are disgusted with the Politics of the US, as much as any of us are. However, there is a difference between the Politics of the US, and the US as a People. The other side of the story is that any National Anthem is as much of a form of Tribalism and Pavlovian Behaviors as anything else, in any country. Off topic for a sec, then coming back, our Educational Model is intended to create "Fixed Habits of reaction to authority", and standing for a National Anthem is a form of expression of those Fixed Habits. A big problem is that one is taught to love only their own country and offer ZERO respect for other countries. It is one of the reasons Americans are considered very stupid when it comes to the cultures of other countries. National Narcissism.

I think what is more important than standing for the National Anthem of ANY country is what the founders of this country endured, so we may show respect for what they have given us. Although the Founding Fathers did not grant us Rights, they gave us the Bill of Rights which enumerated some of our many Rights. I believe it may be more important to respect Free Speech than either the country or our politics, so if I am to take the moral high road, I would need to be supportive of BOTH those who stand and those who kneel.

Historically, by turning the US Flag upside down, it is a Call Sign of Distress. "We need help". Inverting the flag is not intended as a form of disrespect, it is intended as a form of saying "emergency". That has long been forgotten by far too many however. Inverting the Stars and Stripes is as much of a form of Free Speech as either flag burning or kneeling. I may not like what they are saying, but they still have a right to say it, so go ahead and say it.

What worries me however is how many of those people who are kneeling seem to want to replace what we had and what it has turned into with something that is far worse.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    No. I used to go to my children's sporting events and did not like standing for the anthem. People stand because of tribal mentality and some false perception of patriotism.
    Yes that's my view. My sister-in-law just had hatred spewing from her eyes when she spoke about it recently. The anger was jarring. Same for my Dad. It's this incredible anger that i don't comprehend and i wondered how others here feel about it. Of course all of this was brought back into the news with Trump's recent tweet:

I always buy tickets and take my Dad to an Orioles Game for Father's Day every year and have done so for 20 years. It changed dramatically when the Pentagon was paying sports teams for having military members come out on the field, or talk from the big screen, or sing the anthem. It's gotten a little better since McCain stopped Pentagon funding for this. But in this year's game they still had military members come out on the field in uniform to sing the anthem. And 7th inning stretch had everyone stand up to sing God Bless America.

I suppose different people correlate different meanings of the flag. When i see the flag it's a reminder of what we do to people overseas. It reminds me of 60 children less than the age of 10 whose bodies were just blown apart in their School Bus for no reason because of U.S. Military intervention in Yemen. It reminds me of millions of lives gone and many millions of lives who will never be the same because of the horrors our military and cia does overseas. Normally i try to be in the ladies room or walking around the stadium during the patriotic stuff. It just shocks me how angry those in my life are at people who refuse to stand for this, and it scares me what they would think if they knew my own viewpoints on this. Their anger is real and is deep.

In the video above, they are not alone: the comments on the video are striking and angry. Why do they think they can push their views down the throats of those that don't agree with them? How can i stand for a National Anthem when what it represents to the rest of the world is violence and cruelty against millions of innocents who have never threatened this country? Standing would be against every core belief inside of me.

I don't watch or care about sports or the people that are involved in them..

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Im not. To me, it is as much of a form of Free Speech as Flag Burning.

Although I dont like it, I have to respect it as much as I want my own Free Speech to remain protected. I understand why they do it however. They are disgusted with the Politics of the US, as much as any of us are. However, there is a difference between the Politics of the US, and the US as a People. The other side of the story is that any National Anthem is as much of a form of Tribalism and Pavlovian Behaviors as anything else, in any country. Off topic for a sec, then coming back, our Educational Model is intended to create "Fixed Habits of reaction to authority", and standing for a National Anthem is a form of expression of those Fixed Habits. A big problem is that one is taught to love only their own country and offer ZERO respect for other countries. It is one of the reasons Americans are considered very stupid when it comes to the cultures of other countries. National Narcissism.

I think what is more important than standing for the National Anthem of ANY country is what the founders of this country endured, so we may show respect for what they have given us. Although the Founding Fathers did not grant us Rights, they gave us the Bill of Rights which enumerated some of our many Rights. I believe it may be more important to respect Free Speech than either the country or our politics, so if I am to take the moral high road, I would need to be supportive of BOTH those who stand and those who kneel.

Historically, by turning the US Flag upside down, it is a Call Sign of Distress. "We need help". Inverting the flag is not intended as a form of disrespect, it is intended as a form of saying "emergency". That has long been forgotten by far too many however. Inverting the Stars and Stripes is as much of a form of Free Speech as either flag burning or kneeling. I may not like what they are saying, but they still have a right to say it, so go ahead and say it.

What worries me however is how many of those people who are kneeling seem to want to replace what we had and what it has turned into with something that is far worse.
    I understand what you are saying but I must disagree slightly, those who are involved in the current fad kneeling protest are trying to claim that America is fundamentally racist and evil not that there are bad people who do bad things and that something should be done about them, I must respect their right to speak (although their employers can demand that they refrain from doing so on company time and if I was a fan I could quit if the employers did not) but I am disgusted by them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

No.

I do not worship the state & I believe in personal freedom.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Yes that's my view. My sister-in-law just had hatred spewing from her eyes when she spoke about it recently. The anger was jarring. Same for my Dad. It's this incredible anger that i don't comprehend and i wondered how others here feel about it. Of course all of this was brought back into the news with Trump's recent tweet:

I always buy tickets and take my Dad to an Orioles Game for Father's Day every year and have done so for 20 years. It changed dramatically when the Pentagon was paying sports teams for having military members come out on the field, or talk from the big screen, or sing the anthem. It's gotten a little better since McCain stopped Pentagon funding for this. But in this year's game they still had military members come out on the field in uniform to sing the anthem. And 7th inning stretch had everyone stand up to sing God Bless America.

I suppose different people correlate different meanings of the flag. When i see the flag it's a reminder of what we do to people overseas. It reminds me of 60 children less than the age of 10 whose bodies were just blown apart in their School Bus for no reason because of U.S. Military intervention in Yemen. It reminds me of millions of lives gone and many millions of lives who will never be the same because of the horrors our military and cia does overseas. Normally i try to be in the ladies room or walking around the stadium during the patriotic stuff. It just shocks me how angry those in my life are at people who refuse to stand for this, and it scares me what they would think if they knew my own viewpoints on this. Their anger is real and is deep.

In the video above, they are not alone: the comments on the video are striking and angry. Why do they think they can push their views down the throats of those that don't agree with them? How can i stand for a National Anthem when what it represents to the rest of the world is violence and cruelty against millions of innocents who have never threatened this country? Standing would be against every core belief inside of me.
    While my own views of patriotism and loving what the country is supposed to be are slightly different I do understand your point of view and you are entitled to it but those who participate in the current protests go farther and claim that America is fundamentally racist and evil, they therefore disgust me while you do not.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

People are more mad at football players not standing for the anthem than the $20T debt and the fact that were bombing several countries.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    No.

I do not worship the state & I believe in personal freedom.

Thanks Ender. I feel the same way.

A lot of it i think goes to what people personally understand the meaning of the flag to be. If it means what our military does overseas, I have to take a walk.

Thanks everyone for responding. It's difficult not to question myself when members of my own family get so upset. I'm forever thankful that I can come here and feel sane again.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    People are more mad at football players not standing for the anthem than the $20T debt and the fact that were bombing several countries.
    Exactly. The people in my family who are upset by this are completely pro-war. They now want to go into Iran because the TV tells them Iran is bad. They have no problem at all with any of the wars. They never complain of the debt and have no problem with increasing military spending. And they are 100% pro-cop, no matter what the situation is. As said in my prior post, sometimes i just need to come here to feel sane again.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't really care but, I think it has hurt the NFL. I know a lot of people who are mad at the players who are kneeling. Football is their job and they are being paid nice salaries and if the NFL wants them to cut it out then since they are the ones paying them to do their job I think they do have a say. I could not do something like that at any of my jobs that I have had. When you are working for someone else you are pretty much obligated to do what they want you to. I think if these players want to start their own league and kneel when they play the national anthem then they are still free to do so I think.

Thanks Ender. I feel the same way.

A lot of it i think goes to what people personally understand the meaning of the flag to be. If it means what our military does overseas, I have to take a walk.

Thanks everyone for responding. It's difficult not to question myself when members of my own family get so upset. I'm forever thankful that I can come here and feel sane again.
    And, I always appreciate your posts- you help keep the place sane.
    There is no spoon.

Nope. Last Atlanta Untied game I went to, I sat at the bar drinking my beer through the show. I usually go to the toilet but I didn't have time. I'm quiet out of respect for other people, though.

Fun Fact: People in the bathroom will stop at the sink and cross their heart. True story. I've seen it happen. The Texan would be proud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Exactly. The people in my family who are upset by this are completely pro-war. They now want to go into Iran because the TV tells them Iran is bad. They have no problem at all with any of the wars. They never complain of the debt and have no problem with increasing military spending. And they are 100% pro-cop, no matter what the situation is. As said in my prior post, sometimes i just need to come here to feel sane again.
    I know exactly how you feel. My parents are the same way. I constantly used to tell them why they're wrong but it just goes in one ear and out the other. Only difference is that they both aren't 100% pro-cop.

Calvin Coolidge

But when Trump asked these athletes and celebrities to recommend some people he could pardon, where were they?
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

I think the players should take out big signs, each with letter, and spell something different every week.

One week it could be a BLM message. The next week a social justice or communist saying. Maybe a "F*ck The Police" or Trump sucks theme. The smart ones might spell out "Brought to You by Carl's Jr." The possibilities are endless.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

It's largely a workplace issue. While I don't personally stand for the anthem, I am not signed to a multi-million dollar contract to play a child's game.

Could not possibly care less about the sitting or standing.

I have refused to participate many times myself, much to the chagrin of family.

My own mother got $#@!ty and grouchy at me the other night for calling the FedGov "Uncle Sucker".

That said, if it breaks the mind control the foozball has on so many people, then so much the better, protest on.

I'll tell you this though, I do have special, white hot anger and utter loathing, hatred and contempt for the $#@!s that, right when it looked like there might have been serious and credible "pushback" about the out of control police situation here in Amerika, turned around and made the whole thing about race and ethnicity, thus blowing the whole effort out of the water with their stupid polarization, and getting everybody back into their respective corners, right where, I swear to almighty God, their handlers wanted them.

And meanwhile the cops continue to kill, beat, taser, steal from and abuse people of all ethnicities.

$#@! these foozball $#@!s for that alone.

I hope they continue to "protest", every last stupid one of them, then let the league go broke and they can go flip burgers or wash cars for a $#@!ing living.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Could not possibly care less about the sitting or standing.

I have refused to participate many times myself, much to the chagrin of family.

My own mother got $#@!ty and grouchy at me the other night for calling the FedGov "Uncle Sucker".

That said, if it breaks the mind control the foozball has on so many people, then so much the better, protest on.

I'll tell you this though, I do have special, white hot anger and utter loathing, hatred and contempt for the $#@!s that, right when it looked like there might have been serious and credible "pushback" about the out of control police situation here in Amerika, turned around and made the whole thing about race and ethnicity, thus blowing the whole effort out of the water with their stupid polarization, and getting everybody back into their respective corners, right where, I swear to almighty God, their handlers wanted them.

And meanwhile the cops continue to kill, beat, taser, steal from and abuse people of all ethnicities.

$#@! these foozball $#@!s for that alone.

I hope they continue to "protest", every last stupid one of them, then let the league go broke and they can go flip burgers or wash cars for a $#@!ing living.
    Especially when many of those athletes would have no issues with a federalized police force.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    But when Trump asked these athletes and celebrities to recommend some people he could pardon, where were they?
    That's a great point.

+rep

Not angry at customers or players
    Voted this... "Yes", with a "but".

I voted "no, not angry," but I'd like to emphasize that my primary emotion is indifference

...and contempt for people who thinks this matters, one way or the other.

YOU ARE RUINING FOOTBALL (among other things)!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Fun Fact: People in the bathroom will stop at the sink and cross their heart. True story. I've seen it happen. The Texan would be proud.
    Probably out of toilet paper.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I have no idea why people are not against the debt . Maybe they have all known all along it will never be repaid , we will just pay interest on it until it crashes .
    Do something Danke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast