Thread: Trump to Sign NDAA Today

Trump to Sign NDAA Today

This would have been a topic for much discussion in past years...

https://www.politico.com/newsletters...a-today-315321

The $717 billion measure, H.R. 5515 (115) — named for Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, who has remained at home since late last year battling brain cancer — is aimed at building up the military after years of budget caps to meet new challenges from Russia and China.
    World domination is close at hand! Just a few billion more and all the chess pieces will be properly placed!! Can't you feel the excitement?!! MAGA baby!!!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    This would have been a topic for much discussion in past years...

https://www.politico.com/newsletters...a-today-315321

World domination is close at hand! Just a few billion more and all the chess pieces will be properly placed!! Can't you feel the excitement?!! MAGA baby!!!

But it will be the best world domination! And the world will be dominated by the best people! The best! 'Murica! $#@! yeah!
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Trump will use this money to dismantle the Deep State. #TrustThePlan
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

why not just make it automatic?

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

named for Sen. John McCain
    John S. McCain National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2019

Well, I can't say this one isn't appropriately named.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Arrow United States-Israel Joint Drone Detection Cooperation Act

Much more to look forward to next year, gonna be YUGEST evah.

Found in Bibi's hot tub....
    New defense budget bill foresees US-Israel counter-drone cooperation

Benjamin Netanyahu, prime minister of Israel, shows a piece of an allegedly Iranian drone shot down by the Israeli Air Force. (MSC/Preiss)

JERUSALEM — For the first time, the National Defense Authorization Act includes a section on U.S.-Israel cooperation in countering unmanned aerial systems, in the fiscal 2019 version.

The cooperation will identify “capability gaps” of the U.S. and Israel in countering UAVs and seek out projects to address those gaps to strengthen U.S. and Israeli security. The new cooperation envisions funding for research and development efforts and identifying costs that foresee close cooperation modeled on previous successful programs that Israel and the U.S. have collaborated on, including missile defense and anti-tunneling initiatives.

Israel and the U.S. have been at the forefront of air defense cooperation for decades. U.S. Reps. Charlie Crist and Mike Johnson introduced in February a bill titled “United States-Israel Joint Drone Detection Cooperation Act.” Parts of the bill were included in the NDAA passed in both houses of Congress in July.

“I am honored to have our bill included in the NDAA and to see it signed into law by President [Donald] Trump. This is an important step not only for our strongest ally in the Middle East but for the United States as well,” Johnson said in July. The president has not yet signed the NDAA into law, but is expected to shortly.

The initiative foresees “joint research and development to counter unmanned aerial vehicles [which] will serve the national security interests of the United States and Israel.” Included as Section 1272 of the final NDAA presented to the president on Aug. 3, the cooperation contains five parts, including identification of the capability gaps that exist, identifying cooperative projects that would address the gaps, assessing the costs of the research and development, and assessing the costs of procuring and fielding the capabilities developed.

Reports on the cooperation will be submitted to the congressional defense committees, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and the House Foreign Affairs Committee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

At least it's not Hillary doing it.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    At least it's not Hillary doing it.

Yeah. That would be the worst. I'd +rep you if I could.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

The Washington Post August 13 at 2:32 PM
    Trump to sign defense bill named after one of his leading critics — John McCain

FORT DRUM, N.Y. — President Trump on Monday will sign a sprawling $716 billion defense bill named for John McCain,
    the ailing senator who has been among the president’s harshest Republican critics.

The bill setting policy priorities for the Pentagon for the coming year is formally named the
    “John S. McCain National Defense Authorization Act For Fiscal Year 2019."

McCain, 81, has been mostly absent from the Senate this year as he is undergoing treatment for brain cancer.

He has kept up his criticism of the president from his Arizona home, including calling
    Trump’s performance
    alongside Russian President Vladimir Putin at last month’s summit in Helsinki
    “one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.aec909d77a7d

Johnny McCain has of course had the most disgraceful performances by any Naval Academy last-in-class graduates
    in his five problems with the flight manual protocols from fuel to altimeter readings to low airspeed unable to maintain lift.

Yet, Daddy Admiral would always be there to rewrite the Naval Aviation Safety Board investigation findings that
    consistently have refuted McCain's accounts of all these accidents.

Are lips are sealed (?) - NOT

Last edited by Jan2017; 08-13-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Trump to sign defense bill named after one of his leading critics — John McCain
    I like bills named after people who weren't captured.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

ROTFL! I'd +rep you if I could.
    Chris

This would have been a topic for much discussion in past years...World domination is close at hand! Just a few billion more and all the chess pieces will be properly placed!! Can't you feel the excitement?!! MAGA baby!!!
    It's a known quantity at this point and incredibly popular bi-partisanship, passed Senate 87-10, passed House 359-54. Interestingly Rand was MIA. Where was his principled stand against military spending?

Cruz (R-TX), Yea
    Lee (R-UT), Nay
    Paul (R-KY), Not Voting
    McCain (R-AZ), Not Voting

Amash, Nay
    Massie, Nay

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...5%22%5D%7D&r=1
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Yuuuge find, imho.

The internets should go crazy viral with this . . .

McCain did not vote on the Defense Bill named for him
    Last edited by Jan2017; 08-13-2018 at 02:48 PM.

It's a known quantity at this point and incredibly popular bi-partisanship, passed Senate 87-10, passed House 359-54. Interestingly Rand was MIA. Where was his principled stand against military spending?

Cruz (R-TX), Yea
    Lee (R-UT), Nay
    Paul (R-KY), Not Voting

Amash, Nay
    Massie, Nay

Those are VETO-proof margins, I think Trump should have VETOED it and made them override anyway but it wouldn't make any difference in the end.

Rand is in Russia isn't he?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Cruz (R-TX), Yea
    Lee (R-UT), Nay
    Paul (R-KY), Not Voting

Amash, Nay
    Massie, Nay

So Rand is expected to improve efforts for diplomacy in Russia and vote against military spending in the USA at the same time. You guys are too much.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Clearly this is 3D chess by our great alpha male president.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Those are VETO-proof margins, I think Trump should have VETOED it and made them override anyway but it wouldn't make any difference in the end.
    Why would he veto the thing that he asked for?
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

The Senate vote was August 1. I thought Rand left later than that but I could be wrong.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

With 666 Amendments . . . oh McCain you are in deep chit.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...3A%22all%22%7D

Capt. Bone Spurs National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2019?

First and Greatest Outer Space Emperor National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2019?

Jan2017

McCain did not vote on the Defense Bill with 666 amendments named for him

Jus' sayin'

The US president quietly issued a statement on Monday evening, hours after signing a military spending bill, claiming dozens of the bill’s statutes to be unconstitutional intrusions on his powers as commander-in-chief.
    Among the provisions in the $716bn (£563bn) bill is a ban on spending Department of Defense money on “any activity that recognises the sovereignty of the Russian Federation over Crimea”, a region in Ukraine annexed by Moscow in 2014 during a period of regional political upheaval.
    The bill, titled the John S McCain National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2019, does allow for the directive to be waived, but only on condition the secretaries of defence and state provide explanations to relevant senate and house committees.
    However, in a statement published on the White House website, Mr Trump said the provision was an attempt to “dictate the position” of the US in foreign military affairs.
    He would treat the directive “consistent with the president’s exclusive constitutional authorities”, which Mr Trump claimed included the authority “to determine the terms upon which recognition is given to foreign sovereigns”.
    Mr Trump also refused to abide by two provisions attempting to limit his ability to transfer detainees in or out of Guantanamo Bay, the controversial US naval base in Cuba often used to imprison suspected terrorist without trial.
    “I fully intend to keep open that detention facility and to use it, as necessary or appropriate, for detention operations,” he said, adding: “I reiterate the longstanding position of the executive branch that, under certain circumstances, restrictions on the President’s authority to transfer detainees violates constitutional separation-of-powers principles.”

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-say...103644613.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

In a written statement hours later, Trump raised objections to 52 provisions of the law – including four of the eight provisions dealing specifically with Russia. The signing statement suggests he may not enforce provisions that he said raise constitutional concerns.
    As passed by Congress, the defense bill attempts to tie the president's hands on Russia in a number of ways. It forbids him from using federal funds to recognize Russian control over Crimea and bans military cooperation with Russia until Russia pulls out of Ukraine.
    It requires him to report back to Congress on steps he has taken to address Russian violations of the Open Skies Treaty, which allows reconnaissance flights over Russian territory, and the New START Treaty on nuclear weapons.
    Trump said those provisions undermine the president's role "as the sole representative of the nation in foreign affairs."
    Trump objected to a section requiring him to send to Congress a strategy to combat "malign foreign influence operations and campaigns." That strategy, he said, is covered by executive privilege.

In other provisions:
    ►Trump took issue with a congressional mandate not to reduce U.S. troop levels in South Korea below 22,000 unless the secretary of defense certifies that it won't undermine the security of allies in the region.
    ►Trump dropped an objection to the creation of a U.S. Space Command after Congress dropped language giving an Air Force general "sole authority" over space forces. In a signing statement last year, Trump said military officers are "subordinate to the civilian leadership of the president as commander in chief."
    Congress rewrote that provision, and Trump touts the Space Command as a step toward his proposal for the creation of a Space Force as the sixth branch of the military.

More at: https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...ons/986692002/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;
    https://constitutioncenter.org/inter...cles/article-i
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Donald Trumps full signing statement;

Statement by President Donald J. Trump on H.R. 5515
    NATIONAL SECURITY & DEFENSE

Issued on: August 13, 2018
    SHARE:

menuALL NEWS
    Today, I have signed into law H.R. 5515, “an Act to authorize appropriations for fiscal year 2019 for military activities of the Department of Defense, for military construction, and for defense activities of the Department of Energy, to prescribe military personnel strengths for such fiscal year, and for other purposes.” This Act authorizes fiscal year 2019 appropriations for critical Department of Defense (DOD) national security programs, provides vital benefits for military personnel and their families, and includes authorities to facilitate ongoing military operations around the globe. I applaud the Congress for passing this bill to provide the DOD with the resources it needs to support our Armed Forces and keep America safe. I note, however, that the bill includes several provisions that raise constitutional concerns.

Several provisions of the bill, including sections 112, 147, 936, 1017, 1665, and 1689, purport to restrict the President’s authority to control the personnel and materiel the President believes to be necessary or advisable for the successful conduct of military missions. While I share the objectives of the Congress with respect to maintaining the strength and security of the United States, my Administration will implement these provisions consistent with the President’s authority as Commander in Chief.

Several other provisions of the bill, including sections 141, 147, 323, 1231, 1242, 1247, 1259, 1264, and 1290, purport to require that the Congress receive a certification or notification before the President directs certain military or diplomatic actions. I reiterate the longstanding understanding of the executive branch that these types of provisions encompass only actions for which such advance certification or notification is feasible and consistent with the President’s exclusive constitutional authorities as Commander in Chief and as the sole representative of the Nation in foreign affairs.

Sections 1033 and 1035 purport to restrict transfers of detainees held at the United States Naval Station, Guantánamo Bay. I fully intend to keep open that detention facility and to use it, as necessary or appropriate, for detention operations. Consistent with the statement I issued in signing the National Defense Authorization Act last year, I reiterate the longstanding position of the executive branch that, under certain circumstances, restrictions on the President’s authority to transfer detainees violates constitutional separation-of-powers principles, including the President’s constitutional authority as Commander in Chief.

Several provisions of the bill, including sections 1207, 1241, 1257, and 1289, purport to dictate the position of the United States in external military and foreign affairs. My Administration will treat these provisions consistent with the President’s exclusive constitutional authorities as Commander in Chief and as the sole representative of the Nation in foreign affairs, including the authorities to determine the terms upon which recognition is given to foreign sovereigns, to receive foreign representatives, and to conduct the Nation’s diplomacy.

Other provisions of the bill present concerns under the Constitution’s Appointments Clause and the separation of powers. First, section 739 would deepen existing violations of the Appointments Clause, the Incompatibility Clause, and the separation of powers contained within the statute that established the Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine. President Reagan signed that legislation on the understanding that these constitutional defects would be remedied (see Statement on Signing the Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine Act of 1983, 1 Pub. Papers 782, 782 (May 27, 1983)), but that has not happened. The Attorney General and the Secretary of Defense should confer about measures that would allow this Foundation to continue its important work in compliance with the Constitution.

Second, section 1051 purports to establish an advisory commission “in the executive branch” for the purpose of producing reports and recommendations on the national security uses of artificial intelligence and machine learning. Section 1051, however, empowers Members of Congress to appoint 12 of the commission’s 15 commissioners. While I welcome the creation of this commission, these legislative branch appointees preclude it, under the separation of powers, from being located in the executive branch. My Administration accordingly will treat the commission as an independent entity, separate from the executive branch.

A number of provisions of the bill, including sections 595, 842, 1031, 1043, 1062, 1212, 1231, 1233, 1236, 1245, 1262, 1265, 1274, 1280, 1281, 1287, 1294, and 1761, purport to mandate or regulate the submission to the Congress or the publication of information protected by executive privilege. My Administration will treat these provisions consistent with the President’s constitutional authority to withhold information, the disclosure of which could impair national security, foreign relations, law enforcement, or the performance of the President’s constitutional duties. Additionally, while I share the objective of section 1062 of providing the Congress accurate information, my Administration will interpret the reporting requirement in this provision as requiring only the submission of information that is reasonably available to DOD, not as requiring changes in underlying DOD processes for battle damage assessment and investigation.

A number of other provisions of the bill, including sections 218, 327, 335, 627, 1018, 1065, 1205, 1208, 1261, 1677, and 1793, purport to require executive branch officials under the President’s supervision to recommend certain legislative measures to the Congress. My Administration will treat those provisions consistent with Article II, section 3 of the Constitution, which provides the President the discretion to recommend to the Congress only “such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.”

DONALD J. TRUMP

THE WHITE HOUSE,
    August 13, 2018.
    "The Patriarch"

"Government and Regulation"
    Does that cover deployment mandates? I don't think so.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment