Thread: The Jack In The Box Ad That Upset #MeToo Champions

The Jack In The Box Ad That Upset #MeToo Champions

https://www.dailywire.com/news/34183...s-hank-berrien

August 7, 2018

Jack in the Box created a new ad, titled “Jack’s Bowls,” that has elicited criticism from those who say it champions sexual innuendo in the workplace. In a piece in Adweek titled, “Jack in the Box Just Launched One of the Most Tone-Deaf Ads of the #MeToo Era,” writer David Griner wrote that the ad “celebrates sexual innuendo in the workplace,” asserting that the ad is “basically a minute of incessant genital jokes.”

Griner notes that Jack in the Box and the ad agency David&Goliath “defended the spot, telling Adweek that the ad is not referencing the high-profile #MeToo movement …” Jack in the Box and David&Goliath released a statement to Adweek, saying:

This ad is a creative and humorous expression around the teriyaki bowl, highlighting how a burger brand such as Jack in the Box has the guts—or ‘bowls’—to go beyond the usual and serve something other than burgers. This ad is not diminishing any movement, and we stand firmly against any form of harassment and value those who have the guts to combat it.

Adweek points out that as part of the campaign, trucks adorned with a “Only Jack Has the Bowls” message will park near McDonald’s, Burger King and Carl’s Jr.

In the ad, some phrases that are used include: “you’ve got some pretty nice bowls there”; a woman saying to a male coworker, “those are some nice bowls”; and others including “everybody’s gonna want to get their hands on Jack’s bowls,” “come try my bowls,” and “check out my bowls.”

Griner writes, “In case it needs to be spelled out, here’s the insidiousness of frequent off-color, sexualized humor in the workplace, especially when perpetuated by executives: It puts employees—most often women, though certainly members the LGBTQ community and honestly anyone with mature sensibilities—in the unwinnable dilemma of either complaining (making them outcasts in their own workplace) or quietly tolerating it and being enablers of a toxic environment.”

Griner concludes, “But when you find yourself reaching for a genital innuendo just because you can, then choosing to place it in a workplace, having it come from the boss and even dropping in a lawyer to sorry-not-sorry acknowledge what a tone-deaf idea this is, then the focus is no longer on your food. Instead, you’re putting your workplace culture on display and saying, 'We think this is totally OK in the office.'”

Video below:

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Those offended should just be kicked in the bowls, then just move on.

lol

pretty clever.

and they will get a ton of mileage out of the controversy, which was probably the point anyway.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Would it be considered "tone deaf" or insensitive to suggest that the precious little snowflakes need to grow a pair and get over it?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Would it be considered "tone deaf" or insensitive to suggest that the precious little snowflakes need to grow a pair and get over it?
    Who gives a $#@! how they feel?

David Griner wrote that the ad “celebrates sexual innuendo in the workplace,”
    It's not even a woman complaining about it. Sounds like he needs to grow a pair of bowls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Who gives a $#@! how they feel?

I was being facetious, but I'm sure you knew that.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Wasn't very original....

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    It's not even a woman complaining about it. Sounds like he needs to grow a pair of bowls.
    Perhaps it identifies as a woman but hasn't gotten around to the name change?

Ordinarily such public vulgarity would make me less inclined to buy things from Jack in the Box but #Metoo almost makes me want to buy something from them instead.

Fortunately I never buy anything from them anyway so I will just keep it that way.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Haha, but the likes of Alec Baldwin has a classic SNL routine celebrating his “Schweddy Balls” that gets played every holiday. Guess “Jack” just isn’t hip/liberal enough...
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Those offended should just be kicked in the bowls, then just move on.
    Those offended don't have any.

Seriously, it's funny, these people need to pull the stick out of their ass.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They need to stop getting so worked up over nothing.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge