Thread: California Bill Would Require Women On Corporate Boards

California Bill Would Require Women On Corporate Boards

“It’s a world where all you see are men in the boardroom. I find it very hard to believe only men can qualify,” said state Sen. Hannah Beth Jackson (D-Santa Barbara).
    Sen. Jackson is determined to change that. She’s pushing Senate Bill 826 which would make California the first state to require companies to hire women on their corporate boards of directors or face a fine.

“Women on boards of directors perform better for their shareholders,” she said.
    Yet she says, of the 445 publicly traded companies in California, a quarter of them lack a single woman in their boardrooms.
    And among the critics fighting to keep it that way is almost every chamber of commerce in the state. They argue, the bill discriminates against men. And it’s unconstitutional.
    “We’re not saying we’re gonna kick men off the board. It says if you have a board of five people, all men, you have to add a position,” she said.

More at: https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018...-of-directors/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What if a man identifies as a woman, does that count?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

It says if you have a board of five people, all men, you have to add a position,”
    Director of Sandwich-making?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    What if a man identifies as a woman, does that count?
    Yes , but are the women going to be allowed to vote ? Not sure that is a good idea...... Personally I would pass on california stocks anyway .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Director of Sandwich-making?
    I always kept a hot office girl for that . Would not they be jealous about another gal horning in on that job ? More than one may not be a great idea......
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Yes , but are the women going to be allowed to vote ? Not sure that is a good idea...... Personally I would pass on california stocks anyway .
    Most companies are incorporated in Delaware, so what's the point?

Lagarde: 'I used to think there should not be quotas, but ...'

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    California has become the first state to require publicly traded companies to include women on their boards of directors, one of a series of laws boosting or protecting women that Gov. Jerry Brown signed Sunday.The measure requires at least one female director on the board of each California-based public corporation by the end of next year. Companies would need up to three female directors by the end of 2021, depending on the number of board seats.
    The Democratic governor referenced the objections and legal concerns that the law has raised. The California Chamber of Commerce has said the policy will be difficult for companies to implement and violates constitutional prohibitions against discrimination.
    "I don't minimize the potential flaws that indeed may prove fatal to its ultimate implementation," Brown wrote in a signing statement. "Nevertheless, recent events in Washington, D.C. — and beyond — make it crystal clear that many are not getting the message."
    It is one of several measures affecting women that Brown signed Sunday, his last opportunity to approve or veto laws before the term-limited governor leaves office. He also approved legislation requiring smaller employers to provide sexual harassment training and banning secret settlements related to sexual assault and harassment.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/calif...210604707.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What if someone with a penis identifies as a woman?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

What if someone with a penis identifies as a woman?
    They could make fortune by serving on corporate boards to keep real women off them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post

That's a dude.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

That's a dude.
    I would prefer not to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    California has become the first state to require publicly traded companies to include women on their boards of directors, one of a series of laws boosting or protecting women that Gov. Jerry Brown signed Sunday.The measure requires at least one female director on the board of each California-based public corporation by the end of next year. Companies would need up to three female directors by the end of 2021, depending on the number of board seats.
    The Democratic governor referenced the objections and legal concerns that the law has raised. The California Chamber of Commerce has said the policy will be difficult for companies to implement and violates constitutional prohibitions against discrimination.
    "I don't minimize the potential flaws that indeed may prove fatal to its ultimate implementation," Brown wrote in a signing statement. "Nevertheless, recent events in Washington, D.C. — and beyond — make it crystal clear that many are not getting the message."
    It is one of several measures affecting women that Brown signed Sunday, his last opportunity to approve or veto laws before the term-limited governor leaves office. He also approved legislation requiring smaller employers to provide sexual harassment training and banning secret settlements related to sexual assault and harassment.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/calif...210604707.html
    Sleeping your way to the top is still OK:

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Sleeping your way to the top is still OK:
    Plus you can then destroy the men involved to get them out of your way by claiming you were coerced.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment