Thread: Hydrogen fuel breakthrough in Queensland could fire up massive new export market

Hydrogen fuel breakthrough in Queensland could fire up massive new export market

Two cars powered by hydrogen derived from ammonia will be tested in Brisbane today thanks to a Queensland breakthrough that CSIRO researchers say could turn Australia into a renewable energy superpower.

CSIRO principal research scientist Michael Dolan said it was a very exciting day for a project that has been a decade in the making.
    "We started out with what we thought was a good idea, it is exciting to see it on the cusp of commercial deployment," he said.

For the past decade, researchers have worked on producing ultra-high purity hydrogen using a unique membrane technology.
    The membrane breakthrough will allow hydrogen to be safely transported and used as a mass production energy source.
    "We are certainly the first to demonstrate the production of very clean hydrogen from ammonia," Dr Dolan said.
    "Today is the very first time in the world that hydrogen cars have been fuelled with a fuel derived from ammonia — carbon-free fuel."
    Program leader David Harris said Australia has a huge source of renewable energy — sunlight and wind — that can be utilised to produce hydrogen.
    But the highly flammable element is difficult to ship long distances because of its low density.
    CSIRO researchers found a way to turn Australian-made hydrogen into ammonia, meaning it could be shipped safely to the mass market of Asia.

It is converted back into hydrogen using their membrane, then pumped into hydrogen-powered cars.
    As of now, there are only five such cars in Australia, but there are tens of thousands across Japan, South Korea and Singapore.
    "The key here is we can transport the hydrogen from the place where it is produced from renewable energy — let's say maybe that is in outback WA — and we can ship that form of ammonia anywhere in the world," Dr Harris said.
    Independent industry association Hydrogen Mobility Australia said the technology has the potential to fill a gap in the chain to supply fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) with low-emissions hydrogen produced in Australia.

More at: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-0...ntial/10082514
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I keep hearing bull$#@! about it being to dangerous to transport.. Been hearing that since I heard of Hydrogen.

I think it is Hindenburg related,,, an irrational fear that was planted.

I have seen trucks carrying Hydrogen since I was a Child.

No more dangerous than LP gas. but the fear seems much stronger.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I keep hearing bull$#@! about it being to dangerous to transport.. Been hearing that since I heard of Hydrogen.

I think it is Hindenburg related,,, an irrational fear that was planted.

I have seen trucks carrying Hydrogen since I was a Child.

No more dangerous than LP gas. but the fear seems much stronger.
    Oh the humanity...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Oh the humanity...
    I know ,,right?

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I know ,,right?
    Right again...

No smoking sign, not one but 2 pair of sunglasses (not using either), low fat, a large combustible attached to a cylinder of acceleratant, and a spark to unify them all. Put the whole thing on self propelled scooter and you got yourself a thing of beauty. 'Merica!

You see this sh!t everywhere, and people dont seem to mind or pay attention. We went to a place that had a kid's fun event, which included making "play slime". One of the ingredients is borax - you should have seen the hysteria on that (oh my, oh dear - shhhut the fk up...)

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Kinda of weird they want to only process and ship from Australia instead of building these plants in say places like Japan, unless there is just not plentiful Clean Energy like Solar or Wind like in the Outback. Then again, if the fuel is easily attainable this way, maybe it doesn't matter and they're content to load up ships with this Ammonia stuff as well as provide Hydrogen fuel to power the ships.

It would be really silly if they make a big deal out of this and ship this Ammonia on conventional ships which I guess probably run on Diesel?

I believe it is possible to make some kind of contraption that will make the hydrogen on board using water. I know that does not go with the agenda.
    I am pretty sure there are people running their vehicles on water.

There is a man who is running a car on water and carbide in India:

https://techstory.in/water-powered-car/

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I believe it is possible to make some kind of contraption that will make the hydrogen on board using water. I know that does not go with the agenda.
    I am pretty sure there are people running their vehicles on water.

There is a man who is running a car on water and carbide in India:

https://techstory.in/water-powered-car/
    Water and Carbide?

That would be acetylene.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.