Thread: 6 August 1945

Exclamation 6 August 1945

Passed quietly in the night...

August 6, 1945: Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

https://michaelsavage.com/?p=22327

August 8, 2018

This may be perhaps one of the most significant dates in human history, yet no other talk-show host asked the simple question about August 6th, 1945.

Ladies and gentlemen, on August 6th, 1945 the United States of America dropped the first of two atomic bombs on the nation of Japan. The first bomb obliterated most of Hiroshima. It vaporized many of the residents of the city.

To this day there is a controversy as to whether or not the first or the second bomb was necessary to end the war. Today, on The Savage Nation, being “Little Boy’s” anniversary, I’m going to ask you this question: Was the atomic bombing of Hiroshima to end World War II justified?

Are we justified in taking lives to save lives? Would the Japanese have surrendered anyway?

There are many young listeners to this program who must understand what happened on August 6th, 1945. They also have to understand that there is a press blackout of this most significant date. How come you didn’t see it in any newspaper?

When I woke up this morning as I normally do like a resident of Shanghai, China, I walk out into my driveway in pajamas, bleary-eyed, let the dog run onto the neighbor’s lawn and urinate on the neighbor’s lawn while I pick up my papers. And I said, ‘Well, I have the New York Times waiting, I have the Chronicle waiting, I have The Wall Street Journal, etc. Let’s see if any of the people in these newspapers even know what August 6 represents?’ I searched and I searched – second cup of coffee – searching, searching, searching…Not one mention, not even a byline, not even a one-liner.

I saw a penis shriveling in Nigeria from witchcraft but not one mention. Even the Liberals who hate atomic war and I hate atomic war, but let’s be honest, whether you’re for atomic war or against it, this is one of the most significant dates in human history. Why is it being blacked out by the press?

That’s the part that I can’t understand. You’d think that the Liberals would at least take August 6th and use the date to excoriate the United States of America once again. At least they would excoriate the US military once again. At least they could excoriate the white male for saving the world from worldwide fascism once again. At least they could bash the Eddie’s who gave their lives to defeat Hitler and Hirohito and destroy them and say that they really weren’t good for saving the world from fascism and that all the black and brown people of the earth would be slaves today.

They could have done that, couldn’t they? But they didn’t even do that. I don’t even understand why.

Were we justified in dropping the first bomb on Hiroshima? If we were justified at all in dropping the first bomb, were we justified in dropping the second bomb on Nagasaki? One of the most horrific days in the human history, was it necessary?
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Now they want Nuclear war with Russia.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Even to this day its still crazy that nuclear weapons were used at one point.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

One of the worst war crimes in human history. An atrocity.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Last Surviving Crew Member Has 'No Regrets' About Bombing Hiroshima

Please take a brief moment to listen to my Grandfather, Russ Gackenbach, tell it in his own words.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/06/63600...bing-hiroshima

Does anybody find it interesting the reconstruction of the bombed cities started very shortly after the bombings? What happened to all the radioactive material which normally accompanies such events and lasts for tens of years?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Atomic Bomb Didn't End the War

It was Soviet intervention, not the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, that caused Japan to surrender.

Most Americans cling to the myth that the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945, by forcing Japan's surrender without a U.S. invasion, saved the lives of a half million or more American boys. Nothing, however, could be further from the truth.

As the National Museum of the U.S. Navy makes clear, the atomic bombs had little to do with the end of the war. The museum's display on the bombings unambiguously states that the atomic bombings "made little impact on the Japanese military. However, the Soviet invasion of Manchuria … changed their minds." As shocking as this may be to Americans today, it was well known to military leaders at the time. In fact, seven of America's eight five-star officers in 1945 said that the bombs were either militarily unnecessary, morally reprehensible or both.

General Dwight Eisenhower voiced his opposition at Potsdam. "The Japanese were already defeated," he told Secretary of War Henry Stimson, "and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing." Admiral William Leahy, President Harry Truman's chief of staff, said that the "Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender….The use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan." General Douglas MacArthur said that the Japanese would have gladly surrendered as early as May if the U.S. had told them they could keep the emperor. Similar views were voiced by Admirals Chester Nimitz, Ernest King and William Halsey, and General Henry Arnold.

By the summer of 1945, Japan was desperate. Food and energy were in short supply. The transportation system was in tatters. Following the defeat at Saipan in July 1944, many Japanese leaders realized the war could not be won militarily. In February 1945, Prince Konoe, the former prime minister, wrote to Emperor Hirohito, "I regret to say that defeat is inevitable."

U.S. and British intelligence officials, having broken Japanese codes early in the war, were well aware of Japanese desperation and the effect that Soviet intervention would have. On April 11, the Joint Intelligence Staff of the Joint Chiefs predicted, "If at any time the USSR should enter the war, all Japanese will realize that absolute defeat is inevitable." Japan's Supreme War Council confirmed that conclusion, declaring in May, "At the present moment, when Japan is waging a life-or-death struggle against the U.S. and Britain, Soviet entry into the war will deal a death blow to the Empire."

Telegrams going back and forth between Japanese officials in Tokyo and Moscow made it clear that the Japanese were seeking an honorable way to end what they had started. Retention of the emperor, as MacArthur noted, was the main stumbling block to surrender. Truman was well aware of the situation. He referred to the intercepted July 18 cable as the "telegram from the Jap emperor asking for peace." His close advisors concurred. They also knew that the Soviet invasion would spell Japan's doom. At Potsdam on July 17, Stalin assured Truman that the Soviets were coming in as Stalin had promised Roosevelt at Yalta. Stalin will "be in the Jap war on August 15," Truman penned in his journal. "Fini Japs when that comes about." He wrote to his wife the next night, "We'll end the war a year sooner now, and think of the kids who won't be killed."

The Soviet invasion of Manchuria and other Japanese colonies began at midnight on August 8, sandwiched between the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And it was, indeed, the death blow U.S. officials knew it would be. When asked, on August 10, why Japan had to surrender so quickly, Prime Minister Suzuki explained, Japan must surrender immediately or "the Soviet Union will take not only Manchuria, Korea, Karafuto, but also Hokkaido. This would destroy the foundation of Japan. We must end the war when we can deal with the United States."

As postwar U.S. intelligence reports made clear, the atomic bombs had little impact on the Japanese decision. The U.S. had been firebombing and wiping out Japanese cities since early March. Destruction reached 99.5 percent in the city of Toyama. Japanese leaders accepted that the U.S. could and would wipe out Japan's cities. It didn't make a big difference whether this was one plane and one bomb or hundreds of planes and thousands of bombs.

But the dreaded Soviet invasion proved, once and for all, the bankruptcy of both Japan's diplomatic and military strategies and, as the U.S. Navy Museum acknowledges, brought down the final curtain on the war. The atomic bombs contributed next to nothing to U.S. victory, but they did slaughter hundreds of thousands of civilians and they did initiate a process that threatened to ultimately bring down the final curtain on mankind. As Oliver Stone and I say in our "Untold History of the United States" documentary series, to kill civilians is a war crime. To threaten the existence of all life on this planet is far, far worse. And to continue to justify these actions for more than 70 years is truly beyond reason, decency, or comprehension.

-Peter Kuznick , Contributor

Peter Kuznick is professor of history and director of the Nuclear Studies Institute at American University. He and Oliver Stone co-authored the Showtime documentary series and book, “The Untold History of the United States.”

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...bombs-on-japan

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Absolutely and completely.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Does anybody find it interesting the reconstruction of the bombed cities started very shortly after the bombings? What happened to all the radioactive material which normally accompanies such events and lasts for tens of years?
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I have seen the case made that it was an ordinary Firebombing spiked with radioactive waste and that the crew of the plane was either in on the hoax or was brainwashed, I have not yet made up my mind.
    It is also possible that all subsequent bomb tests were fully or partially hoaxed as well.
    Nukes may not actually exist, in which case they have been a giant money hole and an excuse to explain why the different factions of the global oligarchs didn't go to hot war during the cold war, as the infighting accelerates and the different factions end up resorting to hot war we may see the hoax exposed.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Was totally unnecessary & after the fact (of Japan's eminent surrender).

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Had an argument once on reddit concerning this. The bloodthirsty guy, with a proud military background, obviously thought the bombings were justified for all the standard reasons that the mainstream folks use. After I debunked them one after the other, he eventually decided that they were justified as punishment for Japanese war crimes in China, Phillipines, etc. I asked him why shouldn't we nuke US cities for what we do/did in Vietnam, Iraq, Yemen, etc. Of course there's no real response to this question, cuz with his logic, the US should be nuked.

To think that whole thing could have been avoided if we just stayed out of the war. Germany, Italy, and Japan were never going to succeed at conquering Russia.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post

Yep, punishing civilians for the crimes of their government.

Japanese were suing for peace (surrender) long before we nuked them. USA wanted unconditional surrender. The Japanese said yes as long as the Emperor was spared. US response: No deal.

Guess what, we spared the Emperor anyway. Think of how many thousands of lives (both American and Japanese) could have been spared had we agreed earlier?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Yep, punishing civilians for the crimes of their government.

[FONT="]Japanese were suing for peace (surrender) long before we nuked them. USA wanted unconditional surrender. The Japanese said yes as long as the Emperor was spared. US response: No deal.[/FONT]

Guess what, we spared the Emperor anyway. Think of how many thousands of lives (both American and Japanese) could have been spared had we agreed earlier?
    I would just have agreed and then got rid of the emperor if thats what I wanted . I know a lot about treaties . I'm expert .

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.