Thread: Small Dogs Pee Higher to Lie About Their Size, New Study Concludes

Cool Small Dogs Pee Higher to Lie About Their Size, New Study Concludes

https://gizmodo.com/small-dogs-pee-h...tud-1828084681

You just can’t trust a little dog.

We all know dogs can communicate through scent. They urinate on new areas, their own home turf, and certainly things that other dogs have peed on. We also know that some male dogs lift their legs in order to pee higher. But new research found that smaller dogs lift their legs at an even higher angle than larger dogs, perhaps to make themselves appear larger.

“Our findings... provide additional evidence that scent marking can be dishonest,” the authors said in the study published recently in the Journal of Zoology.

The researchers from Cornell University first had to establish that the angle a dog raised its leg is a good stand-in for how high the pee goes. They took a bunch of shelter dogs for walks and filmed them peeing with an iPhone, and in some cases, a high-speed camera. And yes, based on their analysis, how high the dog raised its leg could predict how high the pee would go—as could the dog’s mass and height.

Then, they analyzed how a dog’s size compared to how much it lifted its leg. Both lighter and shorter dogs lifted their legs to higher angles than larger dogs. The little dogs seemed to be trying to leave a pee signature of a larger dog. From the study:

Thus, even though height of urine mark does reflect size of signaler in part, small dogs seem to “cheat” by using larger raised-leg angles to deposit higher urine marks, thereby exaggerating their size

The researchers write that it could be beneficial for dogs to “exaggerate their body size and competitive abilities” to avoid conflict with other dogs. The study also adds to a growing body of research supporting that smaller dogs and larger dogs behave differently.

The researchers point out that the study has its limits and other possible interpretations. Maybe big dogs just can’t lift their legs as high as small dogs can, for example. And it would be up to future research to determine how dogs react to different scent mark heights. But they do point out that others have seen examples of “dishonest signaling” in other species, like the dwarf mongoose, in which scent marks appear in unexpected places given the animal’s size.

So next time you see a little dog pee, ask him: What are you trying to prove?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've known this my entire life. How much government funding did Cornell get to tell us that which we already know?

My doge (R.I.P.) used to pee like a girl dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I never knew this at all. Guess you learn something everyday.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I've known this my entire life. How much government funding did Cornell get to tell us that which we already know?
    I have a medium sized dog, I used to live with an sjw chick who had a couple tiny chihuahuas that used to pee on stuff from time to time. We got a new roommate and he tried to blame my dog for peeing on the side of his bed - I said no way, my dog doesn't do that $#@!, it had to be the chihuahuas - he said no way, the pee stains were way too high. I had to explain that when they peed, the pee actually traveled up at like a 45 degree angle and they end up with higher pee stains than my dog.

No University funding required.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."