Thread: The NRA is fracturing

Thumbs up The NRA is fracturing

About 100 protesters, many wearing T-shirts emblazoned with “NRA = Not Real Activists,” marched through the National Rifle Association’s annual meeting in Dallas in May to slam the powerful gun lobby as too conciliatory on gun rights and rally for their candidate for the board.

Adam Kraut, a gun rights lawyer, fell about 4,000 votes short of the 71,000 needed for election, but earned 5,000 more than the previous year, a sign of the growth of the Second Amendment purists within the NRA known to many as “gundamentalists.”

With opinion polls showing U.S. public support for more gun control growing in the wake of mass shootings in recent years, the NRA is facing internal pressure from this little-known force that is demanding that the leadership concede zero ground to gun-control advocates.

Its rise has rattled the NRA leadership and threatens the association’s ability to hold on to moderate supporters and to make compromises that might help fend off tougher gun control measures, according to some of the two dozen gun-rights activists, policy experts and gun-control advocates interviewed for this story.

The NRA leadership has put up obstacles to Kraut’s election, both with bylaws that make it harder for candidates not put forward by the nominating committee to get elected to the board, and by enlisting a senior member to campaign against him.

Marion Hammer, a past president of the NRA and one of the group’s most successful lobbyists, denounced unsanctioned candidates in a column on the website Ammoland just as Kraut appeared on the 2018 ballot. Though Hammer did not name Kraut, he was one of only two non-approved candidates to run.

“Once again the NRA is being threatened by the enemy within,” Hammer wrote. “It is time to wake up and stop it before it begins.

These hardliners deeply cherish their right under the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment to keep and bear arms. They oppose any form of gun control, saying criminals will find ways around gun laws, which only strip lawful gun owners of the right to self-defense and protection against state tyranny.

The gun-rights purists are outraged by any concessions the NRA makes in the wake of mass shootings, even if they are made to avoid stricter gun control laws. Opinion polls such as a regular Gallup survey show growing support for gun control in recent years. Within that trend, support for gun control typically spikes immediately after mass shootings, then falls closer to pre-massacre levels within a few months.

After a shooter killed 58 people at a country music concert in Las Vegas last year, the NRA supported federal regulation of bump stocks, accessories that the gunman used to fire his semiautomatic rifles more quickly. The Justice Department then ordered an effective ban that is close to being finalized.

Amid nationwide protests that followed a Florida high school shooting that killed 17 people in February, the NRA endorsed strengthening background checks for gun purchasers and emergency protection orders that allow law-enforcement officials to temporarily take guns away from people deemed dangerous.

“For us, some of the things that come out of NRA headquarters are just outrageous and abhorrent,” said Jeff Knox, a Kraut supporter whose father, Neal Knox, led the “Revolt at Cincinnati” in 1977. “It’s: Holy cow, what are these guys thinking?”

SOURCE:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1KQ09H
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The NRA has always been a steadfast and consistent champion of our 2nd amendment hunting rights.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    The NRA has always been a steadfast and consistent champion of our 2nd amendment hunting rights.
    With a single shot muzzle loader and bayonet ?
    Do something Danke

The NRA did it to themselves.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    A good hunter doesn't need more than a single shot .
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    My dad used to hunt with a muzzle loader sometimes. And he actually made his own muzzle loaders to do it with. You need to be closer and more sure of your shot than with a multi round high powered rifle with a scope. Takes lots more skill.

GOA, SAF, NAGR etc. will fill the void and be a better face of the movement if the NRA doesn't reform itself to fight for the real 2ndA, I will not cry.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Maybe Trump should give the NRA a stern talking to.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    My dad used to hunt with a muzzle loader sometimes. And he actually made his own muzzle loaders to do it with. You need to be closer and more sure of your shot than with a multi round high powered rifle with a scope. Takes lots more skill.
    The NRA sponsored GAC of 1986 screwed me on that.

as well as employment,,
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

This is what happens when people are in it for the power, not to empower others.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    GOA, SAF, NAGR etc. will fill the void and be a better face of the movement if the NRA doesn't reform itself to fight for the real 2ndA, I will not cry.
    True.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    A good hunter doesn't need more than a single shot .
    Touche'

The NRA leadership has put up obstacles to Kraut’s election, both with bylaws that make it harder for candidates not put forward by the nominating committee to get elected to the board, and by enlisting a senior member to campaign against him.
    There's an honest and open organization that I'd like to belong to!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    There's an honest and open organization that I'd like to belong to!
    Power hungry, and malicious to any "lesser" gun owners rights organization.

The NRA is sure to show up too, after the battle is won - just to get into the after-party. I wont get into it, but trust me when I say, "whenever one deals with the NRA, there's always some kind of bullsh!t compromise that needs to be made, so that they can build some political capital."

To be fair, it seems like this isnt as much of an NRA fault as it is a fault of consolidated power in general. Large churches, business, governments, unions, etc...

Good fking riddance, NRA.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

The NRA is no different than labor unions. They'll take their members dues. They'll get some small concessions for it's members along with a card and bumper sticker. They'll use some of the dues money for political capital and the rest they'll live high on the hog off of. LaPierre has made anywhere from $1million to $5million a year as the CEO. He's been CEO for 30 years. His net worth is over $10 million and he has a nice retirement package waiting on him. $#@! the NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The NRA is no different than labor unions. They'll take their members dues. They'll get some small concessions for it's members along with a card and bumper sticker. They'll use some of the dues money for political capital and the rest they'll live high on the hog off of. LaPierre has made anywhere from $1million to $5million a year as the CEO. He's been CEO for 30 years. His net worth is over $10 million and he has a nice retirement package waiting on him. $#@! the NRA.
    And he and the other millionaires could solve the NRA's financial problems without even feeling it, if the NRA dies it is because they want it to die, perhaps they have grown tired of being forced to do at least a mediocre job of defending the 2ndA by the common members and want to stop doing even that.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.