Thread: Children Learn Best When Engaged in the Living World. Resist Screen-Based Learning

Children Learn Best When Engaged in the Living World. Resist Screen-Based Learning

Children Learn Best When Their Bodies Are Engaged in the Living World. We Must Resist the Ideology of Screen-Based Learning (title truncated due to length)
    https://news.slashdot.org/story/18/0...based-learning

Nicholas Tampio, associate professor of political science at Fordham University in New York, writing for Aeon magazine:

As a parent, it is obvious that children learn more when they engage their entire body in a meaningful experience than when they sit at a computer. If you doubt this, just observe children watching an activity on a screen and then doing the same activity for themselves. They are much more engaged riding a horse than watching a video about it, playing a sport with their whole bodies rather than a simulated version of it in an online game.

Today, however, many powerful people are pushing for children to spend more time in front of computer screens, not less. Philanthropists such as Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg have contributed millions of dollars to 'personal learning', a term that describes children working by themselves on computers, and Laurene Powell Jobs has bankrolled the XQ Super School project to use technology to 'transcend the confines of traditional teaching methodologies'. Policymakers such as the US Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos call personalised learning 'one of the most promising developments in K-12 education', and Rhode Island has announced a statewide personalised learning push for all public school students. Think tanks such as the Brookings Institution recommend that Latin-American countries build 'massive e-learning hubs that reach millions'. School administrators tout the advantages of giving all students, including those at kindergarten, personal computers.

Many adults appreciate the power of computers and the internet, and think that children should have access to them as soon as possible. Yet screen learning displaces other, more tactile ways to discover the world. Human beings learn with their eyes, yes, but also their ears, nose, mouth, skin, heart, hands, feet. The more time kids spend on computers, the less time they have to go on field trips, build model airplanes, have recess, hold a book in their hands, or talk with teachers and friends. In the 21st century, schools should not get with the times, as it were, and place children on computers for even more of their days. Instead, schools should provide children with rich experiences that engage their entire bodies.
    We want our kids to be smart and genuinely understand the world. The Status Quo does not.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Look up Charlotte Mason. She was an educator who developed a teaching method used in a lot of home schools.
    "There are two freedoms - the false, where a man is free to do what he likes; the true, where he is free to do what he ought."~~Charles Kingsley

I'm working on my TESL(teacher of English as a Second Language) cert ATM...and I can tell you that the proven methodology of teaching can NOT be replaced by screens. Even when I teach online, I (and my colleagues do this too) typically have the students manipulate things in the environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I'm working on my TESL(teacher of English as a Second Language) cert ATM...and I can tell you that the proven methodology of teaching can NOT be replaced by screens. Even when I teach online, I (and my colleagues do this too) typically have the students manipulate things in the environment.
    I think it depends on the context of the subject. Some things are better on a screen, but not all.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    let me see if I got this right. you are not a teacher (but you are working on it) you cannot be replaced by a screen. and you encourage your "students" to "manipulate things in the environment" LOL!
    como maldecir en la pantalla de la computadora, tal vez?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Screens are Tools.

If you were learning mechanics, you would have a different set of tools and be under the hood of a car and not in front of a screen. If you were learning to program, a screen is now an appropriate tool. Using the wrong tool for the job causes bad results. Dont use a screwdriver to peel a banana. The point being that it is the hands on use of those tools for the right job that causes the greatest success in learning.
    1776 > 1984

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    let me see if I got this right. you are not a teacher (but you are working on it) you cannot be replaced by a screen. and you encourage your "students" to "manipulate things in the environment" LOL!
    como maldecir en la pantalla de la computadora, tal vez?
    No, you have failed, as expected. My cert education (which I'm almost done with) includes theory/psychology of learning and education. And of course I have my older and more experienced peers to talk to about these things. (I've also done observation) Now, if you feel like making a fool of yourself further, go on. I'm done with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Look up Charlotte Mason. She was an educator who developed a teaching method used in a lot of home schools.
    "The Charlotte Mason method is based on Charlotte's firm belief that a child is a person and we must educate that whole person, not just his mind. So a Charlotte Mason education is three-pronged: in her words, “Education is an Atmosphere, a Discipline, a Life.”

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.