Thread: U.S. senator Paul to meet Russian lawmakers in Moscow on Aug. 6

U.S. senator Paul to meet Russian lawmakers in Moscow on Aug. 6

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1KN1A1

AUGUST 2, 2018

U.S. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) is trailed by reporters as he arrives for the weekly Senate Republican caucus luncheon at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, U.S., May 22, 2018

MOSCOW (Reuters) - U.S. Republican senator Rand Paul is due to lead a U.S. delegation to Moscow and will meet Russian members of parliament on Aug. 6, Russian agencies cited senior lawmaker Konstantin Kosachov as saying on Thursday.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Rand goes to Russia

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/05/polit...sia/index.html

August 5, 2018

Rand Paul's curious travel plans

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul's planned visit to Russia could hardly come a time when US-Russia relations were under closer scrutiny.

Paul says the upcoming trip is aimed at supporting what he sees as President Donald Trump's diplomatic outreach to Vladimir Putin. But it comes on the heels of a stark warning by US intelligence chiefs over Russia's ongoing efforts to interfere in American elections -- and amid continued fallout from Trump's controversial summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"He has kind of appointed himself a one-man wrecking ball to defend the President against his critics in Congress," said the Washington Post's Karoun Demirjian. "So this is going to be another episode in this unfolding narrative of the U.S.-Russia relationship, but it's one that could serve to reinforce the President's opinions of his own job performance in this regard, at a time when most other people in the country are really, really critical of it.

Sen. Paul goes to Moscow and invites Russians to Washington in unofficial bid to boost ties

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...954_story.html

August 6, 2018

Sen. Rand Paul attends a meeting with Russian lawmakers in Moscow on Monday

MOSCOW — Sen. Rand Paul, one of President Trump’s more eager defenders on Russia, jetted into Moscow on Monday in a bid to increase engagement with the country.

Paul (R-Ky.) met with several Russian senators including Sergey Kislyak, Russia’s former envoy to Washington and a key player at the heart of the election meddling scandal that continues to rock relations between the United States and Russia.

In a meeting at Russia’s upper house of parliament, Paul also invited Russian lawmakers to meet with U.S. Congress members, in Washington or elsewhere, Interfax news agency reported him as saying. “I think this is incredibly important,” Paul said after the high-profile sit-down.

That meeting could take place as soon as this fall, said Konstantin Kosachev, head of the foreign relations committee in the upper house.

Monday’s whirlwind visit to Moscow, however, was not part of official diplomacy. “Sen. Rand Paul is visiting Russia as part of a private group,” said a spokesman from the U.S. Embassy in Moscow.

The senator, who was once a foe of the president, has emerged as a unique and somewhat renegade voice, coming as both Republicans and Democrats criticize the president for not taking a tougher stance against Russia. The relationship between the two countries has sunk to lows not seen since the Cold War days, as they spar over a range of issues from election interference to the crises in Syria and Ukraine.

Paul was accompanied by Republican Don Huffines from the Texas Senate, and the president and chief executive of the libertarian Cato Institute, Peter Goettler. The group also planned to visit St. Petersburg, Russia’s second-largest city and President Vladimir Putin’s hometown, Russian state-run media reported.

His visit comes just weeks after a delegation of Republican lawmakers visited Moscow for meetings with the Russian parliament, as well as Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, the first time the two sides had direct contact in some years. That largely conciliatory meeting, held over the July 4 holiday, was met with bipartisan scorn at home.

Paul is a key backer of Trump’s controversial interactions with Putin, heralding the two leaders’ Helsinki summit last month as exactly the sort of action Washington should be taking to mend ties between the two.

The summit drew sharp criticism at home after Trump suggested he was inclined to believe Putin’s version of events regarding the 2016 U.S. presidential election — that is, Russia’s denial of meddling — over the conclusions of the U.S. intelligence community.

Paul has also long insisted that Russia did not interfere, a sentiment reiterated by Kosachev after his meeting with the senator. “And it will certainly not happen during the ongoing election campaign, either,” Kosachev told reporters, referring to the midterms, Interfax reported.

Last edited by timosman; 08-06-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Paul has also long insisted that Russia did not interfere
    I don't think that's true at all.

Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post
    Yup, he has been saying Russia interfered in our election like he has evidence of it. What Russia can gain from interfering in our election, i will never know. Its not like there is a puppet candidate like Yeltsin in the race to support. Trump may look like that guy, but sadly for them he is wholly owned by the Israeli govt.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Yup, he has been saying Russia interfered in our election like he has evidence of it. What Russia can gain from interfering in our election, i will never know. Its not like there is a puppet candidate like Yeltsin in the race to support. Trump may look like that guy, but sadly for them he is wholly owned by the Israeli govt.
    What if they wanted concessions for not interfering?

Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post
    It's not true. Washington Post.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Rand needs to ditch Sergio "Condor" Gor. He seems out of place.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    What if they wanted concessions for not interfering?
    They wanted a prize for not doing anything? well good luck with that. You know, when people like Rand are mouthing the deep state propaganda that Russia interfered with the election, u have completely lost the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Will this help Rand on his way to (vice)presidency?

Yup, he has been saying Russia interfered in our election like he has evidence of it.
    They bought some facebook ads, that is interference. Rand does deny that there is any evidence that there was collusion with the President or that they hacked our election.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Thumbs up +1 vote for Rand Paul

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Will this help Rand on his way to (vice)presidency?
    IMO Rand has now sufficiently atoned for his 2016 campaign, and he's got my vote as long as Donald isn't on the ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    They bought some facebook ads, that is interference. Rand does deny that there is any evidence that there was collusion with the President or that they hacked our election.
    Do you really think it was the Russian govt tried to interfere with the election by buying goofy facebook ads. Also there is not evidence that it was the Russian govt that paid for those ads

Do you really think it was the Russian govt tried to interfere with the election by buying goofy facebook ads. Also there is not evidence that it was the Russian govt that paid for those ads
    All governments do this. Yeah, you'll probably never tie it back to their government, but we all do it. Facebook is just the modern day version of dropping flyers or broadcasting radio programming. Is it "interfering"??? Yeah, sure. But is it "hacking" or "rigging"?? Not.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Ya that's probably why he says there was Russian interference as opposed to Russian Govt. interference.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    All governments do this. Yeah, you'll probably never tie it back to their government, but we all do it. Facebook is just the modern day version of dropping flyers or broadcasting radio programming. Is it "interfering"??? Yeah, sure. But is it "hacking" or "rigging"?? Not.
    I dont believe it that line that all govt does it. The total spending from the "Russians" according to facebook was 100k and that is if u believe 100% of it was from the govt.

I think with the Russians unlike maybe the Saudis or the Israelis, their interference will cause more harm than good and I think they know it. Also just looking at the so called goofy ads by the Russians makes me doubt the govt this round interfered with the election.

Now if we are talking about the DNC hacks, then I have no strong opinion on it. I dont see why they would do it but if they did I can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya that's probably why he says there was Russian interference as opposed to Russian Govt. interference.
    Oh that is where u are wrong, I have heard interview with him where he insinuated that it was the govt not just reg citizens

I dont believe it that line that all govt does it.
    Nah, they all do it. Seriously, they could have done an "investigation" on any major country in the world. They just chose Russia because they were an easy patsy. Could you imagine the uproar if they tried an investigation on Israel?!!

$100K is a measly drop in the bucket. Hell, we do it to Russia - it's pretty naïve to think they wouldn't reciprocate. In some cases, countries try to sway public opinion - in others, it's good enough to depress turnout and exacerbate rifts. In any case, this is just something that happens. Even among allies.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Nah, they all do it. Seriously, they could have done an "investigation" on any major country in the world. They just chose Russia because they were an easy patsy. Could you imagine the uproar if they tried an investigation on Israel?!!

$100K is a measly drop in the bucket. Hell, we do it to Russia - it's pretty naïve to think they wouldn't reciprocate. In some cases, countries try to sway public opinion - in others, it's good enough to depress turnout and exacerbate rifts. In any case, this is just something that happens. Even among allies.
    If by "it" u mean trying to influence the policies of the most powerful country in the world, then I agree with u. Russia has RT tv network they use in influencing US policy and they have pumped millions(maybe even billions) of dollars developing, but RT is not a secret. If they was any influencing with US during elections, it came from there and not from some silly, cheap fedbook ads nobody sees.

I have come to believe their ultimate goal is to influence policy and not necessarily elect politicians. People have forgotten that Putin preferred Obama over Romney but I doubt they did anything to help him along to win the election.