Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: South Africa to finalize plans to seize white farmers land

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    An authoritarian state is the only reason there are culture clashes, diversity and so on.

Get rid of the state that protects these bad ideas and policies and there will be no conflict in less than 60 days.
    True enough...they might not like the look of things afterwards, but the conflict would be over.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    True enough...they might not like the look of things afterwards, but the conflict would be over.
    From the ashes.........

So...let me see if I've got this right:

The only way a free society can exist is by being having a powerful state?
    Powerful enough to maintain order (e.g. by preventing brigands from roaming around), yes.

One's freedom is rather undermined by being robbed, raped, and murdered by roaming hooligans, don't you think?

A common culture and accepted norms removes the need for a massive state.
    This is the libertarian equivalent of the New Soviet Man concept.

The only reason for heavy handed authoritarian police states
    No one said anything about "heavy handed authoritarian police states."

I'm talking about a minarchist state: army, police, courts.

Oh yeah, like that's worked so well in the past.

Look, the anti-racists are right on this.

Colonialism and empire is baaaaad.
    ...except when it's not.

William Hutt, the late University of Cape Town economist who was an anti-apartheid voice within the academic community, wrote in his 1964 book, titled The Economics of the Colour Bar, that one of the supreme tragedies of the human condition is that those who have been the victims of injustices or oppression "can often be observed to be inflicting not dissimilar injustices upon other races." In 2001, Andrew Kenny wrote an article titled "Black People Aren't Animals — But That's How Liberals Treat Them." Kenny asked whether South Africa is doomed to follow the rest of Africa into oblivion. Kenny gave a "no" answer to his question, but he was not very optimistic because of the pattern seen elsewhere in sub-Saharan Africa. He argued that ordinary Africans were better off under colonialism. Colonial masters never committed anything near the murder and genocide seen under black rule in Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Nigeria, Mozambique, Somalia and other countries, where millions of blacks have been slaughtered in unspeakable ways, including being hacked to death, boiled in oil, set on fire and dismembered. Kenny said that if as many elephants, zebras and lions were as ruthlessly slaughtered, the world's leftists would be in a tizzy. Ghanaian economist George Ayittey expressed a similar complaint in his book Africa Betrayed: "White rulers in South Africa could be condemned, but not black African leaders guilty of the same political crimes." Moeletsi Mbeki, a brother of former South African President Thabo Mbeki's and deputy chairman of the South African Institute of International Affairs, an independent think tank based at the University of the Witwatersrand, said in 2004 that Africa was in a spiral of decline. "The average African is poorer than during the age of colonialism," he said.

Short answer, they should not.
    That would be the anarchist position.

Unless you are prepared to give South Africans right to US court access and representation, then yes, there most certainly is.
    It's unjust to subsidize S. Africans' security...

...unless we give them seats in Congress and standing in US courts?

I don't follow.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Repeated, bolded, and underlined for emphasis...

The essential cause is economic (i.e. societies too poor to finance their own security suddenly losing foreign subsidies).

The result is very weak states and so "anarcho-tyranny."
    And the cause of the economic cause is cultural, they are poor because their ancestors made poor choices and they stay poor because they follow the teachings of thei ancestors and add worse cultural choices to them that they have accepted from European communist culture.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    And the cause of the economic cause is cultural, they are poor because their ancestors made poor choices and they stay poor because they follow the teachings of thei ancestors and add worse cultural choices to them that they have accepted from European communist culture.
    Nope

Of course it is.

And how do you get "un-poor"?

By adopting Western ideals and systems of free markets, property rights, individual liberty and rule of law.

All of which are being dismissed as racist and oppressive.

And so, the South Africans will soon be eating zoo animals like their fellow compatriots in Venezuela.

Or each other, like Amin's Uganda.

That's not how I want to live, that's not the legacy I want for my children and why I have picked up the banner of the legacy of white western Europe and am willing to defend it, warts, failures, self loathing and all.

You can prattle on about "division" and "both sides being played" and so on, I won't deny that there is something to that.

But these last three years have made it clear that I have no common bond and no common purpose with the majority of AmeriKunts that identify as modern day Bolsheviks. They are the enemy in a political death match.

One problem at a time...
    You must spread some reputation around.......

They are quite insistent about splitting from us and attacking us, there is nothing we can do to change that, trying to hug them only gives them the opportunity to slip a knife between our ribs.

It only takes one party to cause a divorce.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Nope
    Sure, the economic fairy just forgot to sprinkle prosperity dust on their ancestors, she's racist you know.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Sure, the economic fairy just forgot to sprinkle prosperity dust on their ancestors, she's racist you know.
    Would you care to cite a specific example of a cultural practice that you believe played a role?

Would you care to cite a specific example of a cultural practice that you believe played a role?
    Failure to form a stable state capable of and dedicated to protecting property rights, Europe came much closer to that ideal than Africa, there are many other factors relating to health and nutrition and valuing work and innovation as well and probably other factors I don't care to analyze right now.

But I don't have to prove my case anyway, ALL men started out in the dirt and some of them climbed higher above it than others, you are the one who would need to prove the existence of the economic fairy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Short answer, they should not.
    There is a much better reason for different regions within the US to participate in collective defense than for the US/Europe to collectively defend S. Africa, we share common cultural values relating to rights and government (this no longer applies to some states and they should be expelled) that S. Africa does not and we are all committed to defend eachother but S. Africa isn't committed to defend us.

Unless you are prepared to give South Africans right to US court access and representation, then yes, there most certainly is.
    And we must not give them those because they don't share our political culture.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Failure to form a stable state capable of and dedicated to protecting property rights, Europe came much closer to that ideal than Africa, there are many other factors relating to health and nutrition and valuing work and innovation as well and probably other factors I don't care to analyze right now.
    If that's your explanation for Africa's weak economy, then it's the same as mine, and has nothing to do with culture.

"Not forming a state" isn't a cultural practice.

Here's an example of what it looks like to explain an economic phenomenon by a cultural practice:

Once, in Europe, it was the inheritance custom to divide land equally among the sons. Over time, this resulted in uneconomically small parcels.

Now, you try. Give me something specific about African culture (maybe something about land ownership, marriage, religion...).

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's not about ideals or culture, if that's what you're suggesting.
    It is.

Having brigands roaming around looting and pillaging is not an ideal an an expression of the local culture.

It is the situation which exists anywhere, in any society, when the state is too weak.
    And a weak state is the result of their culture if not a direct cultural belief.

The exact same situation would emerge in Europe (or reemerge, as this is how it once was) if the economy collapsed to African levels.

As for why Africa is poor in the first place, that's a longer story, but the short term problem is precisely the lack of security for property.

It's a vicious cycle: not inescapable, but only slowly escapable (as order only slowly emerged in Europe in centuries past).
    And the reasons Europe escaped and Africa didn't are cultural.

Things could be dramatically sped up through foreign support.
    Or they could be dramatically retarded by foreign support by causing the natives to reject the strong state and protection of individual rights due to resentment of the force used to impose them.

On top of that it is unjust to extract my tax money to impose "liberty" on S. Africa without any benefit to me.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If that's your explanation for Africa's weak economy, then it's the same as mine, and has nothing to do with culture.

"Not forming a state" isn't a cultural practice.

Here's an example of what it looks like to explain an economic phenomenon by a cultural practice:

Once, in Europe, it was the inheritance custom to divide land equally among the sons. Over time, this resulted in uneconomically small parcels.

Now, you try. Give me something specific about African culture (maybe something about land ownership, marriage, religion...).
    A stable state capable of and dedicated to protecting property rights is most definitely a cultural question, if a culture chooses to value petty tribalism, violent squabbles for control and corruption over over stability, peace and equal protection of the law it will never form the kind of state and society needed to allow the creation of significant wealth.

Then there are the other cultural factors I mentioned.

I await your proof that the economic fairy exists.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

On top of that it is unjust to extract my tax money to impose "liberty" on S. Africa without any benefit to me.
    I'm sure don't mean that. If you did, you would have to be an anarchist.

I reply: why should New Yorkers have to subsidize Californians' security?

Why should Manhattanites have to subsidize Staten Islanders' security?

etc

Unless you're an anarchist, you recognize the legitimacy of socializing the costs of security.

There's no principled difference (on libertarian principles, anyway) between doing this intra-nationally or inter-nationally.

I'm sure don't mean that. If you did, you would have to be an anarchist.
    As I have explained before there is a benefit to me to share the costs of defending others in my nation but there isn't one for shouldering the burden of defending S. Africa.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A stable state capable of and dedicated to protecting property rights is most definitely a cultural question, if a culture chooses to value petty tribalism, violent squabbles for control and corruption over over stability, peace and equal protection of the law it will never form the kind of state and society needed to allow the creation of significant wealth.
    Suppose someone wrote a history book about, say, the American industrial revolution.

And their explanation for it, which they called cultural, was that "Americans valued building factories."

Would that be a sound explanation, or only a kind of restatement of what happened, with no explanation as to why?

Then there are the other cultural factors I mentioned.
    You listed: "other factors relating to health and nutrition and valuing work and innovation."

Those are a little vague, don't you think?

Would you give some specific examples of what African practices you're talking about?

...and, for reasons explained above, please don't answer "they didn't value health, nutrition, work, or innovation," as that explains nothing.

I await your proof that the economic fairy exists.
    I don't know what it is that you're denying: that economics...affects things?

Suppose someone wrote a history book about, say, the American industrial revolution.

And their explanation for it, which they called cultural, was that "Americans valued building factories."

Would that be a sound explanation, or only a kind of restatement of what happened, with no explanation as to why?
    It is an explanation, if they valued home production instead then they would have been left behind in the industrial revolution.

I even listed the things that African cultures valued instead that held them back.

You listed: "other factors relating to health and nutrition and valuing work and innovation."

Those are a little vague, don't you think?

Would you give some specific examples of what African practices you're talking about?

...and, for reasons explained above, please don't answer "they didn't value health, nutrition, work, or innovation," as that explains nothing.
    I am not going to go into more detail, if you want to study the cultural differences between Europe and Africa over the centuries I'm sure there are plenty of books that you can read.

I don't know what it is that you're denying: that economics...affects things?
    I'm denying that poverty is its own cause or that magical random factors are more powerful in determining the wealth of various groups than the individual and group choices made by the members of those groups.

Europeans made different choices than Africans and taught their children to make different choices than Africans taught their children to make and that is the primary cause of Europe being wealthier than Africa.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Somebody should tell them, "If you take the land away from the farmers, don't expect some other country to send you food when you are starving."

It is an explanation, if they valued home production instead then they would have been left behind in the industrial revolution.

I even listed the things that African cultures valued instead that held them back.
    You listed what they did, and "explained" it by saying "they valued doing that."

Of course, that's true, but trivially so.

"People do the things they want to do" is a universally true statement, but has no explanatory value whatsoever.

Otherwise, the history of the world could be written in one, that, sentence.

I am not going to go into more detail, if you want to study the cultural differences between Europe and Africa over the centuries I'm sure there are plenty of books that you can read.
    O, okay

I'm denying that poverty is its own cause
    That is certainly not something I ever claimed, so I'm not sure why you'd feel the need to deny it.

or that magical random factors are more powerful in determining the wealth of various groups than the individual and group choices made by the members of those groups.
    Is geography (which I would cite as a major factor in Africa's underdvelopment pre-colonization) a magical random factor in your view?

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Is geography (which I would cite as a major factor in Africa's underdvelopment pre-colonization) a magical random factor in your view?
    It is not but it doesn't explain the vast difference in wealth.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It is not but it doesn't explain the vast difference in wealth.
    In the absence of any other explanation, it goes a long way.

In the absence of any other explanation, it goes a long way.
    Culture and choices are the other explanation.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Culture and choices are the other explanation.
    As explained, you've not offered any such explanation.

"They did it because they wanted to do it" is not an explanation.

I have.

It is.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I look at Europe and say: Europeans built that.

You look at Europe and say:

GEOGRAPHY BUILT THAT

I rest my case.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I look at Europe and say: Europeans built that.

You look at Europe and say:

GEOGRAPHY BUILT THAT

I rest my case.
    Well that's cute, but not reflective of anything I said or implied.

First, morality has nothing to do with it; this isn't about assigning credit and blame. It is about explaining history.

As for explaining history, it is primarily the near-universal human trait of material self-interest that drives history.

Under similar starting conditions, societies will almost always develop similarly.

Differences can be accounted for by "random events" like geography or - not emphasized in history these days - individual personalities.

Napoleon would be an archetypal example of the latter. The French revolution was virtually certain (due to human nature) to result in a military dictatorship, but it was pure chance that he happened to be one of the greatest generals in world history, and so events unfolded very differently than a pure 'economic' (material self-interest based) analysis might have predicted. Various religious figures might fall into the same category.

As for geography, it shouldn't be thought of as a one-time event, at the origins of the civilization. Civilization is progressive; a 5000 year, 500 year, or even 50 year head start means something and cannot easily be overcome. Societies do not jump from the stone age to modernity overnight. Do you think that civilization emerged in the Tigris-Euphrates valley thousands of years before it did in the Rhine valley because the Germans "didn't value cities"? No, it was because of geography: better farming conditions (shocker) make farming easier. Consequently, the Near East was far more advanced than North Europe for a very long time, until other factors intervened to reverse the situation.

Well that's cute, but not reflective of anything I said or implied.

First, morality has nothing to do with it; this isn't about assigning credit and blame. It is about explaining history.

As for explaining history, it is primarily the near-universal human trait of material self-interest that drives history.

Under similar starting conditions, societies will almost always develop similarly.

Differences can be accounted for by "random events" like geography or - not emphasized in history these days - individual personalities.

Napoleon would be an archetypal example of the latter. The French revolution was virtually certain (due to human nature) to result in a military dictatorship, but it was pure chance that he happened to be one of the greatest generals in world history, and so events unfolded very differently than a pure 'economic' (material self-interest based) analysis might have predicted. Various religious figures might fall into the same category.

As for geography, it shouldn't be thought of as a one-time event, at the origins of the civilization. Civilization is progressive; a 5000 year, 500 year, or even 50 year head start means something and cannot easily be overcome. Societies do not jump from the stone age to modernity overnight. Do you think that civilization emerged in the Tigris-Euphrates valley thousands of years before it did in the Rhine valley because the Germans "didn't value cities"? No, it was because of geography: better farming conditions (shocker) make farming easier. Consequently, the Near East was far more advanced than North Europe for a very long time, until other factors intervened to reverse the situation.
    All of the factors you mention are involved but so is culture, Africa was too far behind Europe to be explained simply by geography.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All of the factors you mention are involved but so is culture, Africa was too far behind Europe to be explained simply by geography.
    I'll be happy to contemplate that when you can provide me with a specific example of a cultural practice that you think had a major effect.

...and, to repeat, "they did it because they wanted to do it (or the inverse)" does not qualify.

Most people don’t know much about the history of South Africa beyond the simplistic propaganda of the 1980s – white South Africans bad, ANC good. The history and current situation of South Africa, however, is much more complex.

Defining Terms: Who Are the Key Players?

Before going any further, terms should be defined and the key players identified:

• ANC: The African National Congress, the leading party in South Africa since the end of apartheid.
    • Afrikaners: Dutch-, German- and French Huguenot-descended white South Africans who primarily speak a language called Afrikaans.
    • Bantu: A group of black South Africans including the Xhosa (of which Nelson Mandela was a member) who originally lived in the northeast of the country.
    • Boers: A subset of Afrikaners who still lead a rural and agricultural existence.
    • Democratic Alliance: Currently the second-largest party in the South African parliament, the Democratic Alliance is a broad-based centrist party that is comparatively economically liberal for South Africa. It enjoys broad, multiracial support, though it is most popular among all racial minorities – white, Coloured and Indian. Its black supporters are often derided as “clever blacks” by ANC supporters.
    • EFF: The Economic Freedom Fighters, a far-left political party in South Africa that has pushed the South African government to seize land from white farmers. Sometimes derisively called “Everything for Free,” the EFF is the third-largest party in South Africa, but is poised to become the second.
    • Khoisan: A popular name for the original inhabitants of most of the territory now known as South Africa. This is not an ethnic designation, but a linguistic one. These are who the Dutch settlers first encountered.

A Brief History of South Africa: From Early Settlement to the Boer War

To understand the current situation in South Africa, it is important to first understand the country before, during and after apartheid.
    South Africa’s modern history begins with the Dutch East India Company, which established trading posts for sailors along the coast. Dutchmen soon started settling the area, with little, if any, conflict with the native Khoisan population. Dutch settlers, however, quickly came into conflict with the Dutch East India Company’s authoritarian rule.
    Freedom-seeking Dutch settlers moved north starting in the 17th Century. In 1852, Boers founded the South African Republic (known as the “Transvaal Republic”) and then the Orange Free State in 1854. These are called “Boer Republics” and they, in turn, came into conflict with both southward-expanding Bantu tribes (most notably the Zulu, who were in the process of conquering other nearby Bantu tribes) and the British Empire.
    White South Africans” are typically treated as a monolith, but there are two main, distinct groups: The Afrikaans-speaking Afrikaners and the English-speaking British. Indeed, there were intense hostilities between these two groups, especially after the Second Boer War when the Boer Republics were reforged as British colonies.
    Telling the Afrikaners to “go home” is a nonsensical statement. They are not Dutch. They do not hold Dutch passports, nor would they at any point have been welcomed back by the Kingdom of the Netherlands. In many regions of South Africa, the Afrikaners have been around longer than the Bantus and have a stronger claim on the land, having purchased it from Khoisans. On the other hand, traditionally Bantu land was conquered from other Bantu tribes or taken by the Bantus from the Khoisans.

A Brief History of South Africa: Enter Apartheid
    “Apartheid” is an Afrikaans word meaning “separateness.” It was a series of laws drafted beginning in 1948, after the success of the Afrikaner-heavy National Party in the national elections. There was a split in the party between those who favored apartheid as it happened versus those who favored complete separation, including parallel governance. The former won out in no small part due to a thirst for cheap black labor.

Most people know the basics of apartheid, but they are worth going over briefly here: South Africans were classified into one of four racial categories: white, black, Coloured (a non-pejorative term in South Africa, meaning roughly “mixed race”) and Asian or Indian. In 1949, mixed marriages were outlawed with cross-racial intercourse outlawed the following year. In 1953, amenities were segregated by law. Increasingly, the blacks of South Africa were segregated into townships and Bantustans, the latter being nominally independent “homelands” for Africans. This meant that as foreign nationals, in the eyes of the Union of South Africa, they were required to carry documentation to work in South Africa and needed to leave after they were done.

Coloureds, who had the vote, were slowly disenfranchised. Indians and other Asians were never allowed to vote.
    Between the end of World War II and the declaration of a republic in 1961, internal politics were dominated by the division between conservative republican Afrikaners and liberal monarchist British whites. Apartheid enjoyed greater support among Afrikaners and less among British South Africans. British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan's "Wind of Change" speech increased support for apartheid among British South Africans because of a sense of abandonment by the homeland. Many were upset at being forced by the British government to choose between South African and British citizenship and passports.
    Still, none of this amounted to what the National Party hoped to achieve – a cohesive and united white South African identity. Support for apartheid was always tepid among British South Africans.
    It is certainly true that notions of racial superiority were a prime motivator for apartheid, but there was another factor in play: Communism. The Suppression of Communism Act was passed by the first apartheid government, banning any Communist organization. The Act took a broad view of what constituted “Communism.” However, given the infiltration of mass movements, particularly in the developing world at the beginning of the Cold War, this is perhaps less cynical than it is commonly made out to be. The Act was used to suppress the African National Congress, something we will talk about in detail later.
    Finally, it’s worth mentioning that Afrikaner society is fundamentally and deeply conservative. Pornography and gambling were illegal in apartheid-era South Africa. Most businesses could not open on Sundays. Abortion, homosexuality and reproductive education were tightly regulated. There was no television until 1976, as this was believed to be immoral and a vehicle of Communism. English-language programming was seen as a threat to Afrikaans culture.
    A Brief History of South Africa: The Rise of the ANC and Nelson Mandela

The Suppression of Communism Act was the instrument used to outlaw the African National Congress. While the ANC is typically thought of as a democratic-liberal organization, this is simply not true.
    The ANC’s closest ally was the South African Communist Party. Indeed, Nelson Mandela, the face of anti-apartheid resistance, was not only a member of the SACP, he served on its Central Committee, something he denied for decades. The SACP has never to this day contested its own candidates in South Africa, instead fielding their people on ANC slates.
    What’s more, the SACP partnered with the ANC in forming Umkhonto we Sizwe (“Spear of the Nation”), the paramilitary wing of the anti-apartheid movement.

The average person on the street likely thinks that Nelson Mandela was imprisoned simply for being black or opposing apartheid. In fact, he was imprisoned for a bombing campaign carried out by Umkhonto we Sizwe, of which he was the head. In fact, Nelson Mandela was convicted of 193 acts of terrorism. He was offered his freedom multiple times on the simple condition that he condemn terrorist attacks against the apartheid regime. He refused every time.

The ANC was not the only organization in South Africa opposed to apartheid. Many white South Africans saw the system as unsustainable. However, outside of South Africa, the situation was largely posed by the media as a question of “apartheid forever or the ANC.”
    The ANC and its allies in the Communist Party and the trade union congress COSATU (known as the tripartite alliance) were not the only alternative to the ruling National Party and thus apartheid. The Progressive Federal Party was the main parliamentary opposition to apartheid, which, as the name implies, was in favor of a federated South Africa. The New Republic Party was likewise in favor of power sharing and oriented toward reconciliation with the Commonwealth.
    The New Republic Party and the Progressive Federal Party were also bitter enemies. The New Republic Party was a conservative party denounced as racists by the Progressive Federal Party. The Progressive Federal Party was a liberal party derided by the NRP with the nickname “Packing for Perth,” due to the impression that their members were all emigrating to Australia. Two-thirds of South African whites supported some sort of federalism or power sharing, but moderate elements never received any international support.
    Nor was the ANC the sole representative of South African blacks. Zulu nationalists, currently represented by the Inkatha Freedom Party, were often bitter enemies of the ANC by the 1980s. Many black South Africans served in the police force and other aspects of the government, leading to the rise of a barbaric form of retribution known as “necklacing.” This is filling a tire with gasoline, hanging it around the neck of a suspected collaborator or political opponent, and lighting the tire on fire. Death can take several hours.
    Winnie Mandela, then-wife of Nelson Mandela, declared that "With our boxes of matches, and our necklaces, we shall liberate this country.” This caused the ANC to create some distance between itself and her, but ultimately she was given further positions in the movement and the ANC government.
    A Brief History of South Africa: The ANC in the Saddle

In 1994, the African National Congress took power in South Africa. At this time, its paramilitary organization was integrated into the country’s regular defense forces. Convicted bomber Robert McBride, praised by no less than IRA terrorist Martin McGuinness, is the Executive Director of the Independent Police Investigative Directorate. Touted as the “Rainbow Nation,” the fall of apartheid in South Africa was part of an overall feeling of optimism throughout the world surrounding the Fall of Communism.

However, not everything was roses in the new Republic of South Africa. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission was an attempt to lay bare the crimes of the apartheid regime. The tribunal, which did not dispense with sentences, but merely sought to find the truth, has been criticized for not dispensing any justice. Neither former National Party government members nor ANC partisans were punished by the Commission.

The elephant in the room at all times was an overwhelming increase in the crime rate. The term “rape gate” entered popular parlance as South Africans installed panic room doors on their bedrooms. Crime is the main reason for emigration from South Africa. The 2013 murder rate was seven times that of the United States, the 11th highest in the world. Between 2005 and 2015, over 200,000 South Africans were murdered – this in a country of about 50 million. There were over 17,000 murders in 2013 alone. Compare this to just over 14,000 in the United States during the same year, despite the fact that South Africa’s population is approximately equivalent to two states – California and Texas.
    This is only the official murder rate. Many suspect that the rate is higher, due to a disengagement from formal policing and a reliance upon private security firms. Quality of public services has likewise deteriorated, with rolling blackouts being the norm in South Africa.
    The ANC presides over what is potentially the largest welfare state in the world, according to economist Mike Schussler in 2010. Six percent (3.3 million South Africans) of the population pays 99 percent of the taxes, while 31 percent (16.4 million) receive social grants. This means there are five South Africans receiving welfare for every one paying taxes. 71 percent of South African children live in houses where no adult is employed.
    South Africa has a sweeping affirmative action quota program. Employee demographics must, under the South African Employment Equity Act, represent the racial demographics of South Africa as a whole. This means that, for example, the national power company was pressured to fire a number of skilled white engineers, while the country was going through rolling blackouts. The country currently has a labor shortage of approximately 800,000 skilled workers.
    The affirmative action program has not lead to a significant increase in the number of skilled black technical workers. In 1994, 15 percent of black South Africans held skilled technical positions. In 2014, this percentage had increased to 18. Meanwhile, between 1992 and 1997, the number of skilled technical degrees dropped by 13 percent while the number of degrees in public administration and social services skyrocketed by 199 percent.
    Finally, the specter of corruption has hung over the ANC regime. Scandals surrounding the ANC government have included bribery in arms deals, the abolition of a task force dedicated to organized crime and corruption, sexual misconduct including criminal charges, and using government and civil organizations to fight its political opponents, particularly those in the Democratic Alliance.
    What Are the South African Farm Murders?

It is currently twice as dangerous to be a South African farmer than a South African police officer. The murder rate among South African farmers is three times that of the standard murder rate in South Africa, which is already one of the highest in the world.

The government claims the motives for the farm attacks are robbery. However, this does not pass muster. Farm attacks frequently include raping the female members of the household – including young children – while forcing the male members of the household to watch. The victims are often then tortured to death in front of each other. Farmers claim police response to these attacks is sluggish at best and nonexistent at worse. The government stopped collecting statistics about farm murders in 2008.

What’s more, the attacks on white farmers in South Africa tend to have pitched levels of brutality about them. Without getting too lost in the weeds of the grizzly details, it’s worth mentioning some of the more grotesque attacks on farmers at least in passing:

• In 2012, a 12-year-old boy was drowned in boiling water after watching both his parents murdered and his mother raped.
    • A 56-year-old grandmother was gang raped during a robbery netting approximately $2,000.
    • Five men sexually assaulted a woman in front of her 5-year-old son over the course of an hour and a half.
    • Over the course of six hours, a woman was tortured by having her skin cut off, raped and had her feet power drilled.
    • A 66-year-old man was beaten to death in front of his wife. She escaped being gang raped by saying that she had HIV.
    • Bedridden Alice Lotter, 76, and her daughter Helen, 57 were tortured to death over several hours, including by being stabbed in the genitals with a broken glass bottle. One had one of her breasts removed while still alive. “Kill the Boer” was painted on the wall in their blood.
    • Knowledge Mandlazi went on a killing spree in 2014, murdering five whites and stating that “My hate for white people made me rob and kill." He held up his middle finger to surviving victims in the courtroom.

Another common form of attack is the land invasion. In one example, 100 men began squatting land. The farmer did the sensible thing and left. Who could blame him in the kind of environment described above?
    Far from being a “white nationalist conspiracy theory,” farm attacks have been reported on and denounced by Human Rights Watch and former Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbot. Afriforum, a wing of Christian trade union Solidarity, likewise reports on farm attacks regularly.
    What Is Behind the South African Farm Attacks?

Anti-white racism is a popular current in mainstream South African politics. The song “Kill the Farmer, Kill the Boer” is still publicly sung, despite this being declared a hate crime. The traditional means of protecting rural South Africans, the commando units, were disbanded in 2003, leaving many South African farmers with no protection.

Anti-white rhetoric in South Africa is very real and very mainstream. Here are a few examples:

Compare this with the woman sentenced to three years in prison for calling someone a “kaffir.” It’s not surprising that some South Africans have begun getting trained by Israeli commandos to protect themselves and their property.
    What Are the Farm Seizures?

The South African Constitution has recently been amended to allow for Soviet-style expropriations of farms without compensation. Zulu lands are specifically exempted.

This is a bit nonsensical for two reasons. Many white South Africans have been in South Africa longer than most Americans have been in America. Second, the dominant black ethnic group, the Bantus, doesn’t have a strong claim to most of the land in South Africa – the Khoisans would, but they sold it to the Boers or had it conquered by the British. This is as if the U.S. government started seizing land from white families in upstate New York traditionally belonging to the Iroquois and giving it out to the Cherokee.

Still, despite the fact that farm seizures are precisely the means by which Zimbabwe ended up in such a failed state, there seems to be no stopping farm seizures in South Africa. Perhaps worst of all, there are rumors that South Africa’s banks intend to collect mortgage payments even after properties have been confiscated.
    In the final analysis, the farm seizures in South Africa aren’t just about dispossessing an unpopular, market dominant racial minority – though that would be disturbing enough. It’s also a threat to South Africa’s incredibly fragile democracy. The ANC is a dominant party with little chance of losing elections and thus, little reason to behave accountably. Add to this the lack of a broad-based middle class with a vested interest in strong property rights, and you have a recipe for kleptocracy and starvation.
    Bibliography

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-boers-and-anc

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast