Thread: Project 100%, warrantless searches of welfare recipients

Project 100%, warrantless searches of welfare recipients

https://www.yahoo.com/news/unfiltere...204904154.html

Project 100%, a program launched in 1997 and currently managed by the San Diego County’s Health and Human Services Agency, employs investigators to go into the homes of potential welfare recipients in order to further verify eligibility for government aid.

In 2006, the Ninth Circuit upheld the constitutionality of Project 100% and ruled that the home search was not in violation of the Fourth Amendment, which protects a person’s right to refuse. Halpern was taken aback: “It’s shocking, I think, for anyone of us who has been raised to think that there are certain minimum thresholds of decency that the Constitution protects … I don’t know how they could parse it out and find a different result.”

In a statement to Yahoo News, Project 100% stated that the program “finds fraud in, on average, 6% of [welfare] applications. The employees assigned to this program also frequently connect applicants to other nonprofit and government programs, as well as potential job opportunities, to help them break the cycle of poverty.”

Meeting minutes of a San Diego County district attorney roundtable on Feb. 8, 1997, detail the workers of the public assistance fraud unit complaining about the low number of fraud referrals. As a result, supervising district attorney investigator Frank Reid proposed home searches as part of the requirements for welfare. The idea was well-received, and Project 100% began operations that year.

“I’m not a person who has a gripe against government being government, because I think that at the bottom, government has a mandate to take care of its people. It has a mandate to hold people accountable. It has a mandate to try to keep us honest,” says Halpern. “So, if you want to keep your jobs, great. But how about if we do this: How about, if instead of doing 10 searches a day of parents’ homes whose applications are profoundly innocent, OK? How about if you devote some of your manpower to consumer protection of all the ways that low-income people get taken advantage of?”

I think this is a bit hypocritical and ironic, he asks for government to make "us" honest and accountable but has a problem when they search your place.

In any case, your on the government dole, your the governments beeotch and play by their rules if you want what they give you. Otherwise you might have to move out of that beach bungalow you can't afford and move to where you can afford to live.
    Last edited by Pauls' Revere; 07-31-2018 at 10:16 PM.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    End welfare.

Taking government money makes you subject to government conditions.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    End welfare.

Compassion has its limits.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Only six percent ? They are not working hard enough .
    Do something Danke

End welfare.

But not corporate welfare. Because reasons.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Tell us more about your reasons not to end corporate welfare.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Only six percent ? They are not working hard enough .
    You can not be too hard on welfare recipients.

If you've ever wondered why does your company have a diversity program.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rights are deprived by attacking those with the least ability to defend themselves first. They go after the children, the old, the poor, the disabled, and when they finally finish off with you, there will be no one else left to defend you.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Unconstitutional muthafukkers.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Sleep with the dogs and wake up with the fleas.

I'm all for anything that gets people to eschew government programs. Whether, it's welfare, education, health care... Is it right? Hell no. But the face of government needs to be shown to people.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    You can not be too hard on welfare recipients.
    If I was running that division of Stasi I would be at 50 percent fraud at the end of one week moving to 60 percent by week two. By week three people would turn themselves in as unqualified , seeking employment to make payments.
    Do something Danke

Oh, of course recipients of corporate welfare are immune to searches. He firmly believes corporations deserve more rights than individuals--and even foreign corporations deserve more rights than American individuals.

Money spent on speech is speech and McCain-Feingold limited the speech of anyone who got together in a group to enhance their speech to compete with the MSM.
    Anyone affected by US law has a right to speak about it, even foreigners.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Sleep with the dogs and wake up with the fleas.

I'm all for anything that gets people to eschew government programs. Whether, it's welfare, education, health care... Is it right? Hell no. But the face of government needs to be shown to people.
    Me, too--including not giving it to people who work full time. If a company can't pay their full time employees enough to live, let them do without employees.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 08-01-2018 at 06:13 AM.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Me, too--including not giving it to people who work full time. If a company can't pay their full time employees enough to live, let them do without employees.
    Just another form of corporate welfare to me. The government is subsidizing the labor costs of businesses with low-skilled employees.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Just another form of corporate welfare to me. The government is subsidizing the labor costs of businesses with low-skilled employees.
    Yes, it's more corporate welfare. Amazing how few people understand how individual welfare is corporate welfare.

Corporations can afford more congressmen than low wage workers can. And so-called conservatives argue that it's fine to limit brib--er, I mean campaign contributions by American individuals, but not foreign corporations.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Oh, of course recipients of corporate welfare are immune to searches. He firmly believes corporations deserve more rights than individuals--and even foreign corporations deserve more rights than American individuals.

That is not what I believe and the quotes you cited do not say that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, it's more corporate welfare. Amazing how few people understand how individual welfare is corporate welfare.

Corporations can afford more congressmen than low wage workers can. And so-called conservatives argue that it's fine to limit brib--er, I mean campaign contributions by American individuals, but not foreign corporations.
    I don't want any limits on campaign contributions for any Americans, McCain-Feingold limited independent speech for anyone who got together in any kind of group, I would consider barring any corporation from making campaign contributions but only if they were allowed to speak on their own as much as they wanted.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Let's end that too.

People ask me "What about corporate welfare"? I say, yep, end that too. Agriculture subsidies etc..

In fact, I think we ought to have a flat tax rate in accordance to what people want corporate taxes to be. Tax corporations 35%? ok, that then becomes the flat tax rate. People and business want low taxes, they just want them for themselves and make the other guy pay.

Why would they need a warrant when the resident invites them inside voluntarily to get something they want?
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.