Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "No Preconditions": Trump Will Meet Iran's Rouhani "Anytime They Want"

"No Preconditions": Trump Will Meet Iran's Rouhani "Anytime They Want"

President Trump said on Monday that he is willing to meet with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani with "no preconditions," exactly one week after he blasted out a fiery all-caps threat to the regime over Twitter.
    I would certainly meet with Iran if they wanted to meet. I don’t know if they’re ready yet,” Trump said, responding to a reporter's question during a White House press conference alongside Italy's new Prime Minister Guiseppe Conte.
    .@POTUS on Iran: "I'm ready to meet anytime that they want to and I don't do that from strength or from weakness. I think it's an appropriate thing to do... No preconditions. If they want to meet, I'll meet." pic.twitter.com/KhRc38jrt3
    — FOX Business (@FoxBusiness) July 30, 2018
    Watch for the MSM to follow the North Korea playbook on this one - blasting Trump for failing to follow "protocol" as he carves a new path through international relations.
    Following a warning from Rouhani earlier in the month that hostile US policies could trigger the "mother of all wars," after which Trump blasted back via Twitter:
    To Iranian President Rouhani: NEVER, EVER THREATEN THE UNITED STATES AGAIN OR YOU WILL SUFFER CONSEQUENCES THE LIKES OF WHICH FEW THROUGHOUT HISTORY HAVE EVER SUFFERED BEFORE. WE ARE NO LONGER A COUNTRY THAT WILL STAND FOR YOUR DEMENTED WORDS OF VIOLENCE & DEATH. BE CAUTIOUS!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 23, 2018
    Trump's decision to meet with Rouhani would be the first major step towards mending relations after he pulled out of the Obama-era Iran nuclear agreement in which Tehran committed to curtailing its nuclear program in exchange for reduced sanctions.
    Just yesterday we noted that Iran's currency is in freefall - pegging 102,000 Rials to the US Dollar on the black market, according to currency website Bonbast, and confirmed to AFP by a currency trader.

Trump suggested a meeting with Rouhani would be the "appropriate thing to do," and that it would come neither from a position of strength nor weakness, reports Fox News.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...time-they-want
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $#@!ing traitor colluding with the enemy again!

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    $#@!ing traitor colluding with the enemy again!
    Looks like Trump has been colluding with John Bolton... Lindsay Graham...John McCain... Rudy Guiliani...Bill Kristol... Dick Cheney, and Chris Christie.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Looks like Trump has been colluding with John Bolton... Lindsay Graham...John McCain... Rudy Guiliani...Bill Kristol... Dick Cheney, and Chris Christie.
    I don't know, they are talking about talking. To hard for me to get hackles up in any way as I have no investment in it.

Since when would they want him to talk to Iran instead of bombing them?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I don't know, they are talking about talking. To hard for me to get hackles up in any way as I have no investment in it.
    It's sort of like raping somebody and then wanting to talk about it afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Since when would they want him to talk to Iran instead of bombing them?
    well- maybe they were able to get their fingers in enough pies after the Iran deal and they think they can destroy them economically and not have to drop bombs. If you are thinking that they will not drop bombs then that's ignoring history.

Iran = Obama's piggybank?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    well- maybe they were able to get their fingers in enough pies after the Iran deal and they think they can destroy them economically and not have to drop bombs. If you are thinking that they will not drop bombs then that's ignoring history.
    Or maybe this will go down like N. Korea like it seems to be doing.

I know N. Korea isn't over yet but it seems to be headed towards peace and trade.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Or maybe this will go down like N. Korea like it seems to be doing.

I know N. Korea isn't over yet but it seems to be headed towards peace and trade.
    What could possibly go wrong?

a warning from Rouhani earlier in the month that hostile US policies could trigger the "mother of all wars"

What could possibly go wrong?
    Trump may not be perfect but offering to talk with them is a good thing, you would find something to complain about if he announced that all sanctions were off.

Maybe things would have gone much smoother if they hadn't rejected his 8 other offers to talk.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump may not be perfect but offering to talk with them is a good thing, you would find something to complain about if he announced that all sanctions were off.

Maybe things would have gone much smoother if they hadn't rejected his 8 other offers to talk.
    Offering to talk with them is a good thing but he made his intentions clear when he chose his cabinet. It even goes along with the foreign policy he campaigned on, "not letting the enemy know our strategy". Would you trust Trump with his past rhetoric, with his cabinet? You know the guy who said in 2011 that he would run 3rd party if Ron Paul was the nominee because he doesn't think in terms of Israel because he supported diplomacy with Iran?

Offering to talk with them is a good thing but he made his intentions clear when he chose his cabinet. It even goes along with the foreign policy he campaigned on, "not letting the enemy know our strategy". Would you trust Trump with his past rhetoric, with his cabinet? You know the guy who said in 2011 that he would run 3rd party if Ron Paul was the nominee because he doesn't think in terms of Israel because he supported diplomacy with Iran?
    Trust is not required to begin negotiations and Trump has made it clear that his policy can't be predicted by his cabinet picks.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trust is not required to begin negotiations and Trump has made it clear that his policy can't be predicted by his cabinet picks.
    He can't micromanage every little thing they do, its good politics though, blame his cabinet for policy mistakes take credit for anything you can get away with taking credit for.

Tomorrow's CNN headlne : Trump gives away all leverage in tense negotiations with Iran.

To be fair, McCain and Kristol hates Trump.

None of them want him to do any diplomacy with Kim or Putin and the rest of the gang.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-by-both-sides

Turns out there aren't "no pre- conditions".

Trump offer to meet Iran president Rouhani dismissed by both sides

Mike Pompeo and Rouhani adviser unite in adding caveats before any talks could happen

Donald Trump has said he would “certainly meet” Iranian president Hassan Rouhani without preconditions, a move that was later rejected by Trump’s own administration and one of Rouhani’s advisers.

Speaking during a joint news conference with Italy’s prime minister, Giuseppe Conte, Trump said he would meet Iran “anytime they want to”. “I’ll meet with anybody,” he said. “There’s nothing wrong with meeting.”

Asked whether he would set any preconditions, Trump was clear. “No preconditions, no. If they want to meet, I’ll meet any time they want,” he said. “Good for the country, good for them, good for us and good for the world. No preconditions. If they want to meet, I’ll meet.”

Trump’s apparently spontaneous overture marked a significant shift in tone and follows escalating rhetoric in the wake of his dumping in May of the landmark Iran nuclear accord.

The administration is set next month to begin reimposing sanctions that had been lifted under the 2015 deal and has been ratcheting up a pressure campaign on the Islamic republic that many suspect is aimed at regime change.

After the comment, secretary of state Mike Pompeo appeared to contradict Trump, listing preconditions that had to be met first. He told CNBC on Monday: “If the Iranians demonstrate a commitment to make fundamental changes in how they treat their own people, reduce their malign behaviour, can agree that it’s worthwhile to enter in a nuclear agreement that actually prevents proliferation, then the president said he’s prepared to sit down and have a conversation with him,” he said.

Garrett Marquis, a spokesman for the president’s National Security Council, later said in a statement the US would not lift any sanctions or re-establish diplomatic and commercial relations until “there are tangible, demonstrated, and sustained shifts in Tehran’s policies”.

“Until then,” he said, “the sting of sanctions will only grow more painful if the regime does not change course.”

Hamid Aboutalebi, one of Rouhani’s advisers, set his own conditions for any meeting with Trump, saying “respect for the great nation of Iran”, returning to the nuclear deal and a reduction in hostilities were needed first.

In a statement on his official website on Tuesday, Rouhani himself said that Trump’s withdrawal from the nuclear deal was “illegal”, and that the ball was “in Europe’s court” in terms of maintaining ties with Tehran.

“The Islamic Republic has never sought tension in the region and does not want any trouble in global waterways, but it will not easily give up on its rights to export oil,” Rouhani said.

Trump has long cast himself as a master negotiator who is most effective when he meets his counterparts face-to-face. He pointed to his recent one-on-ones with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and Russia president Vladimir Putin as examples of the benefits of such get-togethers, though both drew bipartisan criticism and doubts about the tangible progress achieved.

Trump’s apparent openness towards Iran comes a week after he threatened the country with “consequences the likes of which few throughout history have ever suffered before”, in a late-night, all capital-letter tweet. The post followed Rouhani’s warning that “America should know that peace with Iran is the mother of all peace, and war with Iran is the mother of all wars.”

The US president told Rouhani in a tweet: “NEVER, EVER THREATEN THE UNITED STATES AGAIN”.

The message continued: “WE ARE NO LONGER A COUNTRY THAT WILL STAND FOR YOUR DEMENTED WORDS OF VIOLENCE & DEATH. BE CAUTIOUS!”

Trump later tempered his threatening rhetoric, saying his administration stood ready for Iran to come back to the negotiating table. “We’re ready to make a real deal, not the deal that was done by the previous administration, which was a disaster,” he said.

Reaction to Trump’s latest offer was mixed among his critics in both parties on Capitol Hill, with Senator Dianne Feinstein, saying: “I actually think that’s a good idea.”

Republican Bob Corker, the Senate foreign relations committee chairman, characterised the overture as “fine” but only “as long as they are willing to talk about being a normal country in the future”.

It was “another recipe for bad outcomes”, said Democrat Bob Menendez. “It’s the same as North Korea,” he said. “No preconditions, no preparation. And what do we have? We have Kim Jong-un elevated from an international pariah to someone who seems like a legitimate statesman.”

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Tomorrow's CNN headlne : Trump gives away all leverage in tense negotiations with Iran.

To be fair, McCain and Kristol hates Trump.

None of them want him to do any diplomacy with Kim or Putin and the rest of the gang.
    I hope you can recognize the hypocrisy in all of this... If it were Obama making those statements, the right would be up in arms saying you can't put those leaders on equal footing with a US President. In fact, this was a key topic of the 2008 and 2012 debates. And the GOP lined up on the other side.

It's kinda amusing watching the dance.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-by-both-sides

Turns out there aren't "no pre- conditions".
    If Trump and Rouhani really want to meet they can overrule their subordinates, DJTvsg made the offer so the ball is now in Rouhani's court.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I hope you can recognize the hypocrisy in all of this... If it were Obama making those statements, the right would be up in arms saying you can't put those leaders on equal footing with a US President. In fact, this was a key topic of the 2008 and 2012 debates. And the GOP lined up on the other side.

It's kinda amusing watching the dance.
    lol of course its very obvious but the left and right will always be caricatures of themselves.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said Saturday, “If the entire establishment makes a decision about it, we can negotiate with the United States.” Larijani, who is considered a hardliner, is close to supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khameini. His comment, the first by a prominent regime official, indicates that the highest level of the Tehran regime is divided on its US policy.

https://www.debka.com/mivzak/first-i...s-with-the-us/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said Saturday, “If the entire establishment makes a decision about it, we can negotiate with the United States.” Larijani, who is considered a hardliner, is close to supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khameini. His comment, the first by a prominent regime official, indicates that the highest level of the Tehran regime is divided on its US policy.

https://www.debka.com/mivzak/first-i...s-with-the-us/
    Can our deep state meet their deep state just to get things going?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Our deepstates are probably always in contact, we need to defeat them so we can make a show of making peace.

I'm going to beat Q to the punch and predict Venezuela comes after Iran.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that the United States continually sends messages to Iran asking it to begin negotiations.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-sends-i...061129842.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that the United States continually sends messages to Iran asking it to begin negotiations.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-sends-i...061129842.html
    Bad strategy, Iran. I think you $#@!ed up this one.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bad strategy, Iran. I think you $#@!ed up this one.
    What is the point of not talking? They can always refuse to agree to anything they don't like.
    Not only are they not talking but they are bragging about it which just makes them look like stupid jerks.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What is the point of not talking? They can always refuse to agree to anything they don't like.
    Not only are they not talking but they are bragging about it which just makes them look like stupid jerks.
    What will be their excuse when they finally get to talk?

What will be their excuse when they finally get to talk?
    "We were told you would be thrown out of office by now"

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

"We were told you would be thrown out of office by now"
    I took Valerie's security clearance. It is time we talked.

Our deep state is in heat right now and likes to try to $#@! everything, I don't think anyone wants to really meet with them.

"Please let me have another good PR moment, the NK one already wore off and the midterms are coming up soon"
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast