Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 93

Thread: What do you at stop lights?

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I don't know about where you're at but around here most of the lights make you sit there until traffic comes from the other street then it will turn red to stop them. And people think I'm a conspicy nut when I point it out.
    I've noticed that. And what's more, the lights in this city do have sensors in the pavement--you can actually see them--so that's more than possible.

    Think of that next time you read about government harping on carbon emissions.

    The lights in our downtown are just about the only ones without sensors. They used to be synchronized so you could drive through at 19 mph and every light would turn green in front of you. This cut down on pollution and made speeding pointless. It was that way for half a century or more. A few years ago, they went in and purposely took a few of them out of synch. Why would you do that, except to please the oil companies, enhance revenue and get yourself in trouble with the EPA?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-30-2018 at 02:42 PM.
    'I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag.'--Molly Ivins

    'Well, you can get no more liberty than you give.'--Will Rogers



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Do you wear those bike shorts?
    I'll admit it, I rock the lycra shorts.



  4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  5. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I'll admit it, I rock the lycra shorts.
    Are they as hot as they look? And I don't mean sexy, I mean totally lacking in ventilation.
    'I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag.'--Molly Ivins

    'Well, you can get no more liberty than you give.'--Will Rogers

  6. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Are they as hot as they look? And I don't mean sexy, I mean totally lacking in ventilation.
    I wear them for exercise myself (indoor and outdoor), and they're not too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

  7. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    ...they're not too bad.
    That's all I need to know. When it's 98F and the dew point is 72F, 'not too bad' is plenty bad enough. We don't have dry desert air here. When we sweat, we wear it.

    No thanks.

    It'd be like taking the radiator off a car to make it more aerodynamic.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-30-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    'I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag.'--Molly Ivins

    'Well, you can get no more liberty than you give.'--Will Rogers

  8. #36
    Mostly depends on visibility. If I can see no one is approaching then I treat it like a stop sign and proceed.

  9. #37
    Depends. If I'm at a red light and I'm going straight I wait until it turns green. If I'm stopped at a red light and I'm making a right turn, I wait until theres no traffic.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge

  10. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Depends. If I'm at a red light and I'm going straight I wait until it turns green. If I'm stopped at a red light and I'm making a right turn, I wait until theres no traffic.
    Well. Thank God you never turn Left!

    You know what Spinsmith would call you if you did...
    'I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag.'--Molly Ivins

    'Well, you can get no more liberty than you give.'--Will Rogers

  11. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Are they as hot as they look? And I don't mean sexy, I mean totally lacking in ventilation.
    Quite the opposite. Mine breathe very well. I mostly buy cheap Canari gear off Amazon, because it eventually stretches out.

  12. #40
    Those lights are for Danke , not me.



  13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  14. #41
    Lets just get rid of traffic lights in general. Think of the chaos that would ensue.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge

  15. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Lets just get rid of traffic lights in general. Think of the chaos that would ensue.
    It would be glorious.
    "The Patriarch"

  16. #43
    I'll tell you what I don't do. I don't sit there staring at my personal communication device when it turns green until the @$#^ing thing turns red again.
    "The Patriarch"

  17. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Lets just get rid of traffic lights in general. Think of the chaos that would ensue.
    Actually, that is what kicked off this conversation with my friends. They’re removing a central stop light downtown and putting in a traffic circle. Most people hate em, but I’d much rather have those than traffic lights!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

  18. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I'll tell you what I don't do. I don't sit there staring at my personal communication device when it turns green until the @$#^ing thing turns red again.
    Nothing irks me more than when I see people do that.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge

  19. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I'll tell you what I don't do. I don't sit there staring at my personal communication device when it turns green until the @$#^ing thing turns red again.
    I don't, either. If I'm in traffic, I like to watch the people around me. I especially like to catch people singing and when they see you watching them they try to pretend like they were yawning or something, lol. And then they usually turn down the radio. WTF? I was enjoying the impromptu show and they go and get shy on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

  20. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I don't, either. If I'm in traffic, I like to watch the people around me. I especially like to catch people singing and when they see you watching them they try to pretend like they were yawning or something, lol. And then they usually turn down the radio. WTF? I was enjoying the impromptu show and they go and get shy on me.
    At least they weren't picking their nose.
    "The Patriarch"

  21. #48
    So on my way to work tomorrow I'm going to count how many traffic lights I come to that have a camera.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge



  22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  23. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    At least they weren't picking their nose.
    I've seen lots of pickers. Adult pickers are boring but little kid pickers are entertaining. They'll sit there with a knuckle deep and stare right back at ya. They don't give a $#@!, lol. The best is when they get a sticky booger and start playing with it or wipe on the window, lol. nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

  24. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I'll tell you what I don't do. I don't sit there staring at my personal communication device when it turns green until the @$#^ing thing turns red again.
    Me in that situation:

    an immediate
    *bee..beep* "ok, let's go little fella"
    waits half a second.

    *BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP* OMG! MOVE YA STUPID BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THE LIGHT IS GREEEEEEEEN!!!

    I'm friendly and sweet for the first half second.
    After that, all hell breaks loose.
    I have no patience with distracted drivers.

  25. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    Me in that situation:

    an immediate
    *bee..beep* "ok, let's go little fella"
    waits half a second.

    *BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP* OMG! MOVE YA STUPID BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THE LIGHT IS GREEEEEEEEN!!!

    I'm friendly and sweet for the first half second.
    After that, all hell breaks loose.
    I have no patience with distracted drivers.
    I'm currently driving a 1973 dodge van to work, everything works but the horn. Not bad for $400.00.
    "The Patriarch"

  26. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I don't know about where you're at but around here most of the lights make you sit there until traffic comes from the other street then it will turn red to stop them. And people think I'm a conspicy nut when I point it out.
    That's very much the case.

    There are sensors that are supposed to detect a vehicle waiting and start the countdown cycle, but lots of time, especially in winter ice and snow they don't work.

  27. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I'm currently driving a 1973 dodge van to work, everything works but the horn. Not bad for $400.00.
    With a fifty-pounds-of-steel front bumper like that, who needs a horn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That's very much the case.

    There are sensors that are supposed to detect a vehicle waiting and start the countdown cycle, but lots of time, especially in winter ice and snow they don't work.
    Around here they don't always start a timer. Most react instantly. But many are set not to cycle until two or three cars trigger it. Which is fine by day, but asinine after midnight. That's why I back up a few feet, then pull forward again--it fools the sensor into thinking I'm two cars.

    They also don't always see a motorcycle, no matter how free of snow and ice they are. Considering bikes are cop magnets anyway, that's a real pain in the ass.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-30-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    'I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag.'--Molly Ivins

    'Well, you can get no more liberty than you give.'--Will Rogers

  28. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I've seen lots of pickers. Adult pickers are boring but little kid pickers are entertaining. They'll sit there with a knuckle deep and stare right back at ya. They don't give a $#@!, lol. The best is when they get a sticky booger and start playing with it or wipe on the window, lol. nasty.
    Some people might think I'm picking a booger, but it's really just a nose hair. Some will gigantate and come flipping out like tarantula legs and I have to trace them back to pluck them from the root.

  29. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    With a fifty-pounds-of-steel front bumper like that, who needs a horn?



    Around here they don't always start a timer. Most react instantly. But many are set not to cycle until two or three cars trigger it. Which is fine by day, but asinine after midnight. That's why I back up a few feet, then pull forward again--it fools the sensor into thinking I'm two cars.

    They also don't always see a motorcycle, no matter how free of snow and ice they are. Considering bikes are cop magnets anyway, that's a real pain in the ass.
    I will trigger a light about 70 % of the time with my bike, if it doesn't you just have to get around it.
    "The Patriarch"

  30. #56
    I strictly obey the lights because I'm a Commercial Truck Driver and I want to keep my license clean of points. Also, I guess it's not that big a deal IMO to just wait and the lights in my town don't take very long to change anyway.

    Also, I work 2nd shift so by the time I head home, the lights are blinking in 4 way stop mode anyway.



  31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  32. #57
    Here in the police state of NJ I sit at the lights and scan my surroundings for cops, or other drivers trying to kill me. I usually wait for the green light, because I usually have green on me.

  33. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Some people might think I'm picking a booger, but it's really just a nose hair. Some will gigantate and come flipping out like tarantula legs and I have to trace them back to pluck them from the root.
    Mr A pulls out his nose hairs and ear hairs, too. He also clips his nails at red lights. He's a nail biter and the clipping keeps him from chewing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

  34. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Quite the opposite. Mine breathe very well. I mostly buy cheap Canari gear off Amazon, because it eventually stretches out.
    Actually, they aren't hot. I wear them around the house in the summer. I don't bike, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

  35. #60
    I live in a city. There is never a time when there are no other cars around. I stop.

    On my days off I take the long way on back roads. I want to take my time. Get off my bumper.
    #NashvilleStrong

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Lights Going Out in Syria
    By Zippyjuan in forum World News & Affairs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2015, 11:59 AM
  2. Lights on for Ron!
    By RIPLEYMOM in forum Ron Paul Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 05:41 PM
  3. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 09:33 AM
  4. Lights Out: EMP Warfare
    By Mahkato in forum Freedom Living
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 07:01 AM
  5. Lights Out
    By Dieseler in forum Freedom Living
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 12:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •