Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you at stop lights?

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    I strictly obey the lights because I'm a Commercial Truck Driver and I want to keep my license clean of points. Also, I guess it's not that big a deal IMO to just wait and the lights in my town don't take very long to change anyway.
    This was the main response I was getting. People were thinking I was being impatient. "Can't you wait? It's like only a minute!" But that's not the point. I feel ridiculous having a light tell me what to do. "It's safe. I can see it's safe. Why am I sitting here like a moron?!"

And seriously... I've had cops watch me do it and I've never been pulled over for it. But if I were, I'd give that $#@! cop a piece of my mind. "Really? Don't you have some dogs to kill or stoners to harass? Are you concerned about my safety or my lack of respect for the authority of a light bulb?"
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    This was the main response I was getting. People were thinking I was being impatient. "Can't you wait? It's like only a minute!" But that's not the point. I feel ridiculous having a light tell me what to do. "It's safe. I can see it's safe. Why am I sitting here like a moron?!"

And seriously... I've had cops watch me do it and I've never been pulled over for it. But if I were, I'd give that $#@! cop a piece of my mind. "Really? Don't you have some dogs to kill or stoners to harass? Are you concerned about my safety or my lack of respect for the authority of a light bulb?"
    You sound like an agent provocateur or at least a very anxious person. Where is the fire?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    You sound like an agent provocateur or at least a very anxious person. Where is the fire?

Pretty sure I'm neither.

Just a guy who fails the conditioned obedience tests. I'm not trying to get anyone else to do the same; just curious if there are folks in here that behave the same way.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Pretty sure I'm neither.

Just a guy who fails the conditioned obedience tests. I'm not trying to get anyone else to do the same; just curious if there are folks in here that behave the same way.
    Premature ejaculation and infertility - https://www.drmalpani.com/knowledge-.../peinfertility

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Children.

What has become of this place?

Pretty sure I'm neither.

It's not that I've never done it... you know, when it's all clear.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

So on my way to work I passed 28 traffic lights. 13 of them had cameras.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I feel ridiculous having a light tell me what to do.
    It sounds like waiting your turn is not on the radar. This is why we have overregulation and over enforcement of laws.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

https://genius.com/The-rolling-stone...ay-eyes-lyrics

I was driving home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield
    Listening to gospel music on the colored radio station
    And the preacher said, "You know you always have the
    Lord by your side"
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this
    That I ran twenty red lights in his honor

Thank you Jesus, thank you lord

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    It sounds like waiting your turn is not on the radar. This is why we have overregulation and over enforcement of laws.
    Um, dear, he's not talking about when it's someone else's turn. He's talking about when a few light bulbs are arbitrarily declaring that it's no one's turn.

And the reason we have overregulation and overzealous enforcement is because people put up with it and find excuses for it. And those people would clearly not include CaptUSA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

We just gotta accept the fact that CaptUSA is living life on the edge while the rest of us aren't.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Pretty sure I'm neither.

I don't test well either. I do it more often in my town but as I get closer into Atlanta, there's just too much traffic to run lights. I think a lot of it is dependent on the environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.

It's not always clear it's safe here. By that I mean we have a curvy road going through our downtown and it's not as easy to tell when traffic might be coming around the corner with building blocking the view.

Another factor is maybe I'm a pokey driver with overly cautious habits from driving 18 Wheelers. Also like I said, my license is my livelihood.

It's not always clear it's safe here. By that I mean we have a curvy road going through our downtown and it's not as easy to tell when traffic might be coming around the corner with building blocking the view.

Another factor is maybe I'm a pokey driver with overly cautious habits from driving 18 Wheelers. Also like I said, my license is my livelihood.
    Well, yeah. If I can't tell it's safe, I'm not going to proceed. I don't want to be reckless. The premise was strictly about when you can clearly verify that it is safe.

And yeah, it's a shame that government licensing does that to people. They'll hold it over your head to ensure your obedience. I think most of us are against occupational licensing.

Well, yeah. If I can't tell it's safe, I'm not going to proceed. I don't want to be reckless. The premise was strictly about when you can clearly verify that it is safe.

And yeah, it's a shame that government licensing does that to people. They'll hold it over your head to ensure your obedience. I think most of us are against occupational licensing.
    It's held to a higher standard all around between government, trucking companies, their insurance companies, and the public.

In terms to Stop Lights, it's not a big deal to me because I can't dart out into intersections quickly. I wait until the green because the lights ensure it is clear for me to hit the throttle and start working slowly up through gears and get up to speed.

The other factor of course is what is in the trailer and how heavy it is.

Brave people on this site. I am a chicken.

February of 2016 I was headed to down the road doing 40. A young buck decided his stop sign was a suggestion and took it at 60 mph. I hit my brakes as soon as I realized he wasn't stopping but he still took off the front of my car.

I think it was the air bag that dislocated my jaw. Took me a year to get to I wasn't hurting. If I hadn't hit the brakes he'd probably smashed into my driver's door and killed me.

Now a days I not only stop at red lights and stop signs, I'm always looking for the guy that doesn't stop for them.

Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post

February of 2016 I was headed to down the road doing 40. A young buck decided his stop sign was a suggestion and took it at 60 mph. I hit my brakes as soon as I realized he wasn't stopping but he still took off the front of my car.

I think it was the air bag that dislocated my jaw. Took me a year to get to I wasn't hurting. If I hadn't hit the brakes he'd probably smashed into my driver's door and killed me.

Now a days I not only stop at red lights and stop signs, I'm always looking for the guy that doesn't stop for them.
    8 months after this accident, I'm drive home from work. There is a dump truck at a stop sign off a side road. I was on the main road (no stop sign). We make eye contact, then when I'm 150 feet away from him, he pulls onto the main road. I'm doing 40-45 mph and figure if I brake I hit him. I hit the gas and swerve in the other lane. I swear we missed each other by a couple inches. He hits reverse, backs into the side road again. I'm still hurting from my previous accident, otherwise I might have pulled his ass from that truck.
    Last edited by dean.engelhardt; 08-01-2018 at 07:22 AM.

I stop and wait. The only reason being that its not worth the risk of running into some cop with the license to kill with impunity, arrest with impunity, or steal your money. I'll just wait for the green, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post

I've also been hit by someone running a Red Light. I got off lucky, they just demolished the front of my Pontiac and I was just shook up.

I'll tell you what I don't do. I don't sit there staring at my personal communication device when it turns green until the @$#^ing thing turns red again.
    If I had a nickle for every time I see that $hit going on...

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Depends on where I am. If I'm in Detroit, I will blow through it. Otherwise I just wait--no reason to attract the attention of hidden Police.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Lets just get rid of traffic lights in general. Think of the chaos that would ensue.

^^^^This^^^^
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

This is why we can't have nice things!!!
    "The Patriarch"

This is why we can't have nice things!!!

Exactly. When laws are stupid, unneccessary or immoral they ought to be disregarded.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Exactly. When laws are stupid, unneccessary or immoral they ought to be disregarded.
    Traffic lights are immoral? Why are you in such a hurry Mr. Adelson?

You must have missed the "stupid [or] unneccessary" part along with the entire context of the thread which deals primarily with waiting at traffic light at night when there are no other drivers around, rendering the "stupid [or] unneccessary" part relevant.
    Chris

I see no evidence online that Sheldon Adelson is a scofflaw behind the wheel. So, I assume the only reason you called this poster by the name of an influence peddler and zionist was because you wanted to insult him, and you consider that veiled and clever?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I see no evidence online that Sheldon Adelson is a scofflaw behind the wheel. So, I assume the only reason you called this poster by the name of an influence peddler and zionist was because you wanted to insult him, and you consider that veiled and clever?

After the years that this place actually was a hotbed of radical, liberty oriented activism, and all the accomplishments we have under our belts, you'd think we'd rate a higher caliber of trolls.
    Chris

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I watched an interesting documentary last week called "America : Freedom to Fascism" with Ron Paul in it, and a large part of the documentary was about how there is no law requiring Americans to pay federal income tax. Nobody wants to pay income tax but nobody has the guts to keep their wages after they find out there is no law. I imagine that is a lot like this with the stop lights. Nobody wants to stop, but they do for fear of the coppers, sometimes even if there is clearly no cop around. And that's just what authoritarian governments want. Running a red light is not a true crime, and it's scary that people would police themselves for something that is not a crime. That's just a small snowball at the top of a hill. When it reaches the bottom, you will have people like the train engineers in that opening scene of Atlas Shrugged, who would stop for hours at a red light and sooner kill themselves of starvation than go through it. And not because it's not safe - but because they don't know how or don't want to THINK.

Personally, I have not been driving long and the situation has not presented itself, although I suspect I am a sheep like most others because I don't drive with more than one person or drive after 11 pm because it's against the law in NJ (not real crimes though). Hopefully when I go to college I will gain the courage to be free.
    If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
    Ron Paul

Also, I guess it's not that big a deal IMO to just wait and the lights in my town don't take very long to change anyway.
    I live in a city. There is never a time when there are no other cars around. I stop.
    Same here. It’s no big deal, and I don’t feel less “free” for stopping at a traffic light.

In my 20’s I used to get a lot of tickets for speeding and other stuff like that, but these days I don't do things like that anymore. *shrug*
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast