Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you at stop lights?

What do you at stop lights?

This topic came up in a conversation with friends, so I thought I'd bring it here. Please try to respond honestly and not what you would do "in theory".

The situation: You come to a red light. You can clearly see there is no traffic coming. What do you typically do?

Do you just proceed?
    Do you look around for cops?
    Do you stay there until the light changes?
    Does it matter how long it takes the light to change?
    Does it matter if it's night or day?
    Does it matter if there's another car behind you?

Just curious to see the responses.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On a bicycle? Around here, the Motor Vehicle Code doesn't apply to me. See ya later.

Otherwise, since nearly every light around here has sensors in the pavement, I back up about two feet and pull back up to the crosswalk. That generally saves me the trouble of scanning for cops and running it.

I've also been known, when they make me impatient, to turn right on red and make a U turn one block down at the next intersection.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-30-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

There are so few stop lights around these parts that it's not a problem just to wait if you encounter one. There's only one stop light in my whole town and that's where the highway crosses.

Pick my nose
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    This topic came up in a conversation with friends, so I thought I'd bring it here. Please try to respond honestly and not what you would do "in theory".

The situation: You come to a red light. You can clearly see there is no traffic coming. What do you typically do?

Do you just proceed?
    Do you look around for cops?
    Does it matter how long it takes the light to change?
    Does it matter if it's night or day?
    Does it matter if there's another car behind you?

Just curious to see the responses.
    If there's no one around, I pause and move on with my life. I always keep one eye out for the po-po. It doesn't matter how long the light takes and I'm more likely to pause and go in the middle of the night. If there's another car behind me, I stop. I treat stop signs the same way except I don't really care if there's another car behind me or if it's day or night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    On a bicycle? Around here, the Motor Vehicle Code doesn't apply to me. See ya later.

Otherwise, since nearly every light around here has sensors in the pavement, I back up about two feet and pull back up to the crosswalk. That generally saves me the trouble of scanning for cops and running it.

I've also been known, when they make me impatient, to turn right on red and make a U turn one block down at the next intersection.
    Do you wear those bike shorts?
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I generally just go. Even if there's other cars around. If they're not in a position to cause a collision or even slow down, then I'm not putting anyone in danger. I treat them like stop signs - a warning to slow down and check for danger before proceeding. I do look around for cops, but they don't affect my decision - I'm just wondering if they're going to bother me.

I can't remember the last time I stopped at a red light and sat there waiting for a timer on a light tell me it was safe to proceed.

(which is probably pretty risky since my plates are far expired.)

ETA: oh, and I never sweat those cameras. Not sure why - I guess I'd just deal with it if I ever got a ticket mailed to me.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

It's funny that government tells us we have to make sacrifices to combat climate change caused by carbon emissions, then installs more traffic lights so we emit more carbon in the middle of the night sitting at intersections waiting for nobody.

I once lived in a city that set most of its traffic lights to flashing between midnight and six a.m. or thereabouts. Some were two way stops (flashing yellow for the major street) and some were four way stops (flashing red all directions). If governments really wanted to do something about carbon emissions, wouldn't all cities do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Do you wear those bike shorts?
    Oh, hell no.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Depends on where the light is. Some places have red light camera's, I'll wait when I'm at those. I love seeing the shocked looks I get from people when I run other ones.
    "The Patriarch"

Depends on where the light is. Some places have red light camera's, I'll wait when I'm at those. I love seeing the shocked looks I get from people when I run other ones.
    I swear, Mr A had two red light cameras on his way to work for about a year (they took them both down) and I was constantly getting $#@!ing tickets in the mail with pictures of his car running them. Run the Goddamn lights without the cameras, ffs.

Oh, hell no.

It's funny that government tells us we have to make sacrifices to combat climate change caused by carbon emissions, then installs more traffic lights so we emit more carbon in the middle of the night sitting at intersections waiting for nobody.

I once lived in a city that set most of its traffic lights to flashing between midnight and six a.m. or thereabouts. Some were two way stops (flashing yellow for the major street) and some were four way stops (flashing red all directions). If governments really wanted to do something about carbon emissions, wouldn't all cities do this?

Oh, hell no.
    C'mon, fess up man. We won't make fun of you, honest.
    "The Patriarch"

Speak for yourself.

I don't wear those silly little brain buckets, either. It's not that hard to avoid falling on your head.

Wait for the light to change.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Oh, hell no.
    I'm convinced red lights are an important part of the conditioning.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I'm convinced red lights are an important part of the conditioning.
    It seems to have worked on timosman.

It seems to have worked on timosman.
    I try to avoid unnecessary risk.

Can't remember who the comedian was. Went something like this:

"I was riding in the car with my friend and we came upon a red stop light. Instead of hitting the brakes, he hit the gas. 'What are you doing?' 'My brother does this all of the time. No worries.' We drive along a bit farther and come to a green light. He slams on the brakes. 'Now what are you doing? The light is green!' 'My brother may be coming the other way!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Can't remember who the comedian was. Went something like this:

"I was riding in the car with my friend and we came upon a red stop light. Instead of hitting the brakes, he hit the gas. 'What are you doing?' 'My brother does this all of the time. No worries.' We drive along a bit farther and come to a green light. He slams on the brakes. 'Now what are you doing? The light is green!' 'My brother may be coming the other way!"
    It wasn't a comedian. It was Bobby Allison, or rather someone telling a (likely true) story about him.

He was doing the talking, not the driving. And the punch line was, " STOP! STOP! Donnie might be coming the other way!"
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-30-2018 at 01:36 PM.

I stay until the light changes.

If after an hour the light still hasn't changed, I'll call the local police station to let them know its broken and to also ask permission to proceed carefully through the red light.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Depends... driving in the city can be nuts, esp rush hour... generally not worth the risk... depends.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I stay until the light changes.

If after an hour the light still hasn't changed, I'll call the local police station to let them know its broken and to also ask permission to proceed carefully through the red light.
    Then you're the only person in the whole state of Texas who does.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Where I live, traffic laws do apply the same as bicycles. Even DUIs. But they are less likely to ticket a bicycle.

Where I live, traffic laws do apply the same as bicycles. Even DUIs. But they are less likely to ticket a bicycle.
    Don't blame me. I can't vote your lame city council out of office.

I gotta tell ya, I was really surprised at the number of people who obey the light regardless of the circumstances. Now, I recognize that I'm a little freer than most of them, but to stay at a light just because the timer hasn't clicked over yet?? My guess is that these people also go on green without checking for cross traffic. "Oh, the light God said it would be ok! "

I consider them traffic "recommendations". If they make sense, I'll follow them. But when they don't, I don't.

Red lights?

There are no red lights within 15 miles of my home.

Anywhere else, I'll wait for the cycle, then blow it off if it's still red.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Red lights?

There are no red lights within 15 miles of my home.

Anywhere else, I'll wait for the cycle, then blow it off if it's still red.
    I don't know about where you're at but around here most of the lights make you sit there until traffic comes from the other street then it will turn red to stop them. And people think I'm a conspicy nut when I point it out.
    "The Patriarch"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast