Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Became a Catholic

  1. #1

    Became a Catholic

    Been a Christian my entire life, never belonged to any specific denomination. Earlier this year, I started attending a Catholic Church and was baptized and confirmed into the church. I also experienced being a weekday lector during mass a few times. And yes it was my first time ever having been baptized.

    The reason I chose a Catholic Church is because it is one of 2 churches accessible to me.

    One thing I have always agreed with the Catholic Church on even before having joined the Church is the validity of the Apocrypha, also known as the Deuterocanonical books. Infact, I take this concept one step further and accept all of the books the Eastern Orthodox Church accepts.
    Last edited by pcgame; 07-30-2018 at 11:11 AM.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    In B4 your derided as a heretic
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

    It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

  4. #3

    Thumbs up Not a heritic

    Congratulations on joining the largest chain religion. Catholic churches are like McDonald's, you can find them anywhere.
    DACA S**thole Dreamers - Make America Great Again?

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by pcgame View Post
    Infact, I take this concept one step further and accept all of the books the Eastern Orthodox Church accepts.
    Are you aware that the Council of Trent anathematizes you for this?

  6. #5
    Whatever Church community works for you,, They all have error,,the result of men over the years..
    Basic truths are presented along with,,,,stuff.

    I was raised Catholic,, and though I disagree with much,, the Gospel is there.. And Christian Believers are there,,
    as well as a lot of people who are just religious.

    Continue to grow. He teaches us what we need when we need it.. and unlike churches,, His lessons are highly individualized.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  7. #6
    There are many wonderful Christian people in the Catholic Church and every denomination for that matter.

    For me personally, I cannot join an institution that sets itself above the Bible. The Pope being God on Earth is complete nonsense to me. I belong to a church that believes God works with individuals and not institutions.

    God bless you.
    " Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy." --Aristotle

  8. #7
    Do you have small children or planning on having them?

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by american.swan View Post
    I cannot join an institution that sets itself above the Bible. The Pope being God on Earth is complete nonsense to me. I belong to a church that believes God works with individuals and not institutions.
    I was going to write a long and snarky post where I changed every reference to the Church in the NT to the word "Bible" to show that the people who wrote the Bible thought otherwise, but I'll opt instead to earnestly entreat you to look into the position of the overwhelming majority of Christians throughout history - that Scripture is not the sole rule and norm of the Christian faith.

    It cannot be. Not without condemning 15 centuries of Christians. The Son of a loving God cannot have stated "the gates of Hell shall not prevail against my Church" and then immediately consigned unknown billions to judgment.

    There are three mutually exclusive logical positions on the topic of Sola Scriptura. Either it's wrong, or God is fickle or evil, or Christianity itself is false.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    I imagine there are worse things... most of the 10 commandments are pretty much common sense.

    don't kill
    don't steal
    respect your folks
    don't cheat on your spouse
    don't give false testimony
    don't bang your neighbor's wife or envy him otherwise
    don't worship false idols (i.e. the goobermint, etc)

    I remember when I was just a kid, keeping the sabbath day holy equated to sunday being a day of rest... when we would take a drive around town on sunday, many, if not most shops were closed... made it a pretty quiet day all & all. Bit by bit, it would change to what we see today.

    Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

  12. #10
    I was born and raised Catholic but then I became agnostic 5 years ago.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by pcgame View Post
    Been a Christian my entire life, never belonged to any specific denomination. Earlier this year, I started attending a Catholic Church and was baptized and confirmed into the church. I also experienced being a weekday lector during mass a few times. And yes it was my first time ever having been baptized.

    The reason I chose a Catholic Church is because it is one of 2 churches accessible to me.

    One thing I have always agreed with the Catholic Church on even before having joined the Church is the validity of the Apocrypha, also known as the Deuterocanonical books. Infact, I take this concept one step further and accept all of the books the Eastern Orthodox Church accepts.
    Ave Maria! Ave Christus Rex! Viva Christo Rey!
    "A system of capitalism presumes sound money, not fiat money manipulated by a central bank. Capitalism cherishes voluntary contracts and interest rates that are determined by savings, not credit creation by a central bank."-Ron Paul

  14. #12
    Potential heresy aside, I'm happy so long as you're not rolling around on the floor.

    Catholicism, Orthodoxy, and even certain very high church Protestant faiths (Anglicanism, high Lutheranism, etc) are acceptable.

    Congratulations; go to Rome if you haven't been.
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

    -H. L. Mencken

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I was going to write a long and snarky post where I changed every reference to the Church in the NT to the word "Bible" to show that the people who wrote the Bible thought otherwise, but I'll opt instead to earnestly entreat you to look into the position of the overwhelming majority of Christians throughout history - that Scripture is not the sole rule and norm of the Christian faith.

    It cannot be. Not without condemning 15 centuries of Christians. The Son of a loving God cannot have stated "the gates of Hell shall not prevail against my Church" and then immediately consigned unknown billions to judgment.

    There are three mutually exclusive logical positions on the topic of Sola Scriptura. Either it's wrong, or God is fickle or evil, or Christianity itself is false.
    Is there any actual basis for the position of a pope in the gospels?
    “I'm real, Ron, I'm real!” — Rick Santorum
    “Congratulations.” — Ron Paul¹

  16. #14
    Catholicism is great in my book, but isn't the current pope a socialist
    lgbt sanctioning globalist?

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Muwahid View Post
    Is there any actual basis for the position of a pope in the gospels?
    It doesn’t have to be in order to be true. The Gospels tell of the life and teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly ministry. It is not the complete story either of His earthly life, His divine acts, or the story of the Church which He is the Head of.

    Christ sent down the Holy Spirit in to the world (part of His saving mission, and the consequence of His Ascension into the Kingdom at the right hand of the Father). It is the Holy Spirit of God Who has guided the God-bearing Saints of the Church to establish the structure of the Church. Most of the ecclesiological structure of the Church was formed after Christ’s resurrection. The earliest beginnings can be found in the Book of Acts (for example, the trinitarian hierarchal structure of episkopos - Bishop, presbyter - priest, and diakono - deacon), and described also in the first century writings of the Saints (Pope Clement and St. Ignatius in particular.). By the end of the first century and most definitely into the middle of the second, the basic formulation and ecclesiological structure was firmly established and has remained essentially the same.

    The Pope of Rome was simply the Bishop of Rome. He was the Shepard of the baptized Christians in the imperial capital, just as Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria, and a whole host of other regions were under the spiritual direction of an ordained Bishop of the relative geographic area/city as became necessary for administrative reasons and to protect the faithful from heresy and those who sought to divide the Church. Because of the importance of the city of Rome in the first centuries, the Bishop there did have special privileges as a ‘first among equals’, which was an administrative and spiritual role in settling disputes within the whole Church, similar to a chairman of the board. This is different then the path that the Roman Church has since taken, assuming to be the sole leader of the Church (ie Head of the Church, which belongs to Christ alone), and with supreme authority over the bishops of the other regions throughout the world. This is the main reason why the Schism occurred in the 11th century and resulted in Rome falling away from the Church.
    Last edited by TER; 01-12-2019 at 07:25 PM.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

  18. #16
    Don't let your son's become altar boys or be left alone with the ordained pedophiles.



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.


Similar Threads

  1. Are You Catholic?
    By Sola_Fide in forum Peace Through Religion
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: 05-27-2013, 08:16 AM
  2. Where's the Catholic Church when...
    By BUSHLIED in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2012, 04:28 AM
  3. Catholic Gnosticism
    By TheLibertarianNationalist in forum Peace Through Religion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 01:09 PM
  4. Need help converting a Catholic
    By nexalacer in forum Christian Outreach
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
  5. Invitation from Catholic.com
    By LibertyForAll in forum News About The Official Campaign
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 02:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •