Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This SF Apartment Just Sold For Over $1 Million - Check The Kitchen...

This SF Apartment Just Sold For Over $1 Million - Check The Kitchen...

The kitchen has a huge support beam right in the middle, and this sold for over a million dollars. I swear I don't want to live on this planet any more.

Here's the listing: https://www.movoto.com/san-francisco.../#popphotoview

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It has an amazing view...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

The benefits of urban life.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    LOL! Am I right about this floor plan when I say that every person has to walk past that beam when they enter the apartment? This *HAS* to be a bad remodel. Maybe there was a wall there at some point

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    LOL! Am I right about this floor plan when I say that every person has to walk past that beam when they enter the apartment? This *HAS* to be a bad remodel. Maybe there was a wall there at some point
    I just figured it was once some type of attic space converted to a living area.
    Do something Danke

You girls could work on your tan there.
    Do something Danke

I just looked at all the pics...

One person's dream is another person's nightmare.

So glad I'm not a city person.
    Stick me out in the woods somewhere.

The kitchen has a huge support beam right in the middle, and this sold for over a million dollars. I swear I don't want to live on this planet any more.

Here's the listing: https://www.movoto.com/san-francisco.../#popphotoview
    It's just the pole dancing feature for teh gay folks.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Looks like it’d get in the way, i’d Just cut it out.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Is your real name Gilligan?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Plenty of "handymen" remodellers would do just that.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Looks like one of those units that they build on the roof of existing buildings.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0b95f893e1760
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Supply and demand. They won't sell for that unless people were willing and able to spend that much. High paying jobs attracting lots of people to the area and population growing faster than the supply of homes (not exactly a lot of space to build more homes in San Francisco area unless you start adding more skyscrapers).

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Supply and demand. They won't sell for that unless people were willing and able to spend that much. High paying jobs attracting lots of people to the area and population growing faster than the supply of homes (not exactly a lot of space to build more homes in San Francisco area unless you start adding more skyscrapers).
    WHich is why they should start building sky scrapers.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Well, it is a nice looking support beam. IMO, the bigger floor plan disaster is that you enter the space in the kitchen.

I agree on the remodel, likely the original (and very small) kitchen ended at this beam. People now like big kitchens so to expand you have to have the support beam in the middle.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Well, it is a nice looking support beam. IMO, the bigger floor plan disaster is that you enter the space in the kitchen.

I agree on the remodel, likely the original (and very small) kitchen ended at this beam. People now like big kitchens so to expand you have to have the support beam in the middle.
    It's a townhouse in a multi-unit building. You want the room with the tall ceiling to have windows, so you have to stick the other rooms against the corridor, in the interior.

So you either enter through the bedroom, the bathroom or the kitchen.

This *HAS* to be a bad remodel. Maybe there was a wall there at some point
    They certainly removed something that was holding that wall up. Was it a bad remodel? Well, looking at the floor plan, I'd say they could have run the diagonal support for that wall the opposite direction, and it would have been completely hidden in the bathroom wall. So, yeah, a bad remodel--unless you consider anything that sells for a million bucks to be good.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-28-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    It's a townhouse in a multi-unit building. You want the room with the tall ceiling to have windows, so you have to stick the other rooms against the corridor, in the interior.

So you either enter through the bedroom, the bathroom or the kitchen.
    I hear you, the better designs I've seen would have the entry where the kitchen sink is with a U shaped kitchen just to the right. The upper part of the U could be an open counter / bar. So the foyer is just to the left of the kitchen and gives it some extra space.

That won't work in this case because of The Beam.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

I hear you, the better designs I've seen would have the entry where the kitchen sink is with a U shaped kitchen just to the right. The upper part of the U could be an open counter / bar. So the foyer is just to the left of the kitchen and gives it some extra space.

That won't work in this case because of The Beam.
    Or put the kitchen where the bathroom is, put the laundry upstairs where the dirty clothes are and the clean clothes are stored, put the downstairs bathroom where the laundry is, and have the foyer double as a dining room. Thus making the living room huge. The closet at the top of the stairs would not have to be enlarged much to hold a washer and dryer, and it's plenty close enough to the plumbing.

If it weren't for The Beam.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-28-2018 at 12:44 PM.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I would have to paint the beam bright orange and Mrs O would still run into it . I would not give more than 35K for that place.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I would have to paint the beam bright orange and Mrs O would still run into it.
    Yeah, they had to sell the place. Renting it out would just be begging for a liability lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Looks like one of those units that they build on the roof of existing buildings.
    On the bright side, you probably can't smell the $#@! from up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

On the bright side, you probably can't smell the $#@! from up there.
    But you have to use the $#@!ting streets to get groceries , beer , wine and liquor .
    Do something Danke

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Or put the kitchen where the bathroom is, put the laundry upstairs where the dirty clothes are and the clean clothes are stored, put the downstairs bathroom where the laundry is, and have the foyer double as a dining room. Thus making the living room huge. The closet at the top of the stairs would not have to be enlarged much to hold a washer and dryer, and it's plenty close enough to the plumbing.

If it weren't for The Beam.
    Very true, I like that. Which highlights another oddity; why is the downstairs bathroom so big in the first place, with a full tub and all? There is no bedroom for it. It's also larger than the somewhat small master bath.

Must be The Beam.

that beam is probably some nasty building code thing due to being in an earthquake zone...
    another reason to just stay away from there
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not much of a yard. Where would the kids play?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

That beam is really out of place.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Very true, I like that. Which highlights another oddity; why is the downstairs bathroom so big in the first place, with a full tub and all? There is no bedroom for it. It's also larger than the somewhat small master bath.

Must be The Beam.
    Looking at the plan, The Beam also makes a special appearance in the upstairs closet that runs alongside the master bath.

https://sf.curbed.com/2017/9/27/1637...itchen-beam-sf

Two beds. Two baths. Roughly 1,185 square feet. Nothing particularly unusual about it, really. That is, until you step foot in the kitchen.

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late-night snacking all come with a large, awkward seismic beam jutting out diagonally from the middle of your new kitchen.

The condo, housed inside an old manufacturing building, was seismically retrofitted after it went residential years prior. Which is fantastic. Yet the owners built this unit’s kitchen around a small portion of the large cross brace. Which is not at all fantastic.

Brandon Hubbard, a licensed architect, explains more via Reddit:

What is that thing?

You are seeing a small portion of a large cross brace. Similar to what is on the right of this image

When a change in building use is made, in this case from a Factory and Industrial to Residential, it usually triggers a seismic upgrade, meaning the braces were added to make the building code compliant.

For uses list see section 302.1 General in the California Building Code

The listing says it was built in 2001 but I assume that was the latest renovation and the seismic upgrade happened at some time before that meaning the latest designers were stuck with the existing structural layout.

Why didn't they think to put an island there, or something?

This is just a guess but when you are laying out a multi-unit complex inside of an existing envelope there are going to be weird conflicts like this. I would argue this isn't acceptable, but someone decided it was okay. One of the major challenges in multi-family properties is to stack the plumbing walls on top of each other so that you don't have complicated and expensive rerouting issues.

Also you would set out the standard widths of each unit and be more or less stuck with those dimensions to maximize the total number, especially in a high per sq. ft. area such as San Francisco.

Asking price is $995,000
    Still could have designed the interior layout better. If you want to keep the kitchen where it is, maybe an "L" shape (which may turn into a "U" shape with the beam) with some cabinets on the wall next to the door- then you could get the refrigerator on the same side of the beam as everything else. Dangerous going from the stove to the fridge and back.

The building:

I'll take a cabin in the woods instead.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I'll take a cabin in the woods instead.
    Either place you can $#@! outside.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast