Thread: Relationship Is Affecting My Mental Health

Relationship Is Affecting My Mental Health

I have been in a steady relationship with my partner for almost a year now. But recently, due to stupid small arguments, our relationship is a bit going on the rocks. I don't want to lose anything that we have but the silent treatment is affecting my mental health.

It started out in a simple miscommunication. We already talked about it but it seems like nothing's really changing. I can't seem to focus on anything and I get severe headaches for no reasons. I feel so stressed out. What do I do?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by alivecream View Post
    I have been in a steady relationship with my partner for almost a year now. But recently, due to stupid small arguments, our relationship is a bit going on the rocks. I don't want to lose anything that we have but the silent treatment is affecting my mental health.

It started out in a simple miscommunication. We already talked about it but it seems like nothing's really changing. I can't seem to focus on anything and I get severe headaches for no reasons. I feel so stressed out. What do I do?
    what you have is a relationship with someone that plays games like silent treatments. you don't have much to lose IMO. I think walking away should be a strong consideration.

I have been in a steady relationship with my partner
    WTF is this modern speak?

If you're married or shacked up say so, if you're not in a heterosexual relationship, say so...

Stop with the ambiguous talk, use plain English and see if communication doesn't work better for you.

I don't know anybody who subscribes to this modern way of avoiding honesty in their speech.

Talk to a professional. Relationship problems are beyond the scope of an internet message board. I seem to recall you have a child.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

If you're married or shacked up say so, if you're not in a heterosexual relationship, say so...

Stop with the ambiguous talk, use plain English and see if communication doesn't work better for you.

I don't know anybody who subscribes to this modern way of avoiding honesty in their speech.
    still being you I see.

what does a government sanctioned relationship have to do with anything? who gives a $#@! if he/she is married.

Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    still being you I see.

what does a government sanctioned relationship have to do with anything? who gives a $#@! if he/she is married.
    Has nothing to do with anything but honesty...

Many people 'marry' in the Church and forego registering with the government, others 'marry' in ceremonies surrounded by friends, again foregoing registration. Marriage can be, and was, used in the form of a lifetime commitment not as you allege a government sanctioned relationship...

Would you like catsup with that foot?

what you have is a relationship with someone that plays games like silent treatments. you don't have much to lose IMO. I think walking away should be a strong consideration.
    While I'm typing........

What kind of idiot would off the cuff suggest breaking up a family?

Are these people the child's parents? I certainly have no idea...

Are they of strong moral fiber? I certainly have no idea...

Do either of them possess basic communication skills? I certainly have no idea...

Learning to talk plain English about tender subjects is difficult for some but it's certainly no reason to break up a family....

Learning to talk plain English about tender subjects is difficult for some but it's certainly no reason to break up a family....
    You make an excellent point. Somebody that says "I have been in a steady relationship with my partner for almost a year now. " certainly doesn't sound like somebody committed and "all in" in a relationship. It sounds like somebody holding back and waiting for an excuse to end it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

"The Patriarch"

Sounds like perhaps someone is not being honest about something and they are arguing over stupid stuff because they are unable to give the real reasons for their angst against the other person. One of you needs to come clean with what the heck is wrong, or you will suffer the death of a thousand tiny cuts. (Relentless petty arguments that further the divide and harden the heart.)

Good luck, hope everything works out.
    Have patience and sincerity and don't give into/feed the pettiness.
    Get to the truth of the matter. What is the real issue?

While I'm typing........

What kind of idiot would off the cuff suggest breaking up a family?

Are these people the child's parents? I certainly have no idea...

Are they of strong moral fiber? I certainly have no idea...

Do either of them possess basic communication skills? I certainly have no idea...

what kind of idiot assumes they are a family? I'd continue reading, but you reminded me what an idiot you are on the first line of your nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Talk to a professional. Relationship problems are beyond the scope of an internet message board. I seem to recall you have a child.
    not bad advice

life is too short to spend it with someone that plays game IMO. If "the silent treatment" is a game they often play, you need to have some real compelling reasons to stick with such a person. In the limited info we are given, the only reason for counseling, is for the person you are with to solve whatever is wrong with them to compel them to play childish games.

not bad advice

life is too short to spend it with someone that plays game IMO. If "the silent treatment" is a game they often play, you need to have some real compelling reasons to stick with such a person. In the limited info we are given, the only reason for counseling, is for the person you are with to solve whatever is wrong with them to compel them to play childish games.
    Have you ever considered that permitting another person to effect your mental/physical well-being is cause in and of itself for counseling?

Ignorance has no place advising one on life changing issues, especially when a child is involved.

Have you ever considered that permitting another person to effect your mental/physical well-being is cause in and of itself for counseling?

Ignorance has no place advising one on life changing issues, especially when a child is involved.
    I find you talking to anyone about counseling to be hilarious

I find you talking to anyone about counseling to be hilarious
    Glad you get a laugh about such thing as broken families...

Sick $#@!!

Glad you get a laugh about such thing as broken families...

Sick $#@!!
    bwahahaa. feigned indignation, or just a pussy?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    bwahahaa. feigned indignation, or just a pussy?
    Once again your usual eloquence is astounding, your superior intelligence humbling and your morals impeccable.

Once again your usual eloquence is astounding, your superior intelligence humbling and your morals impeccable. ]
    thank you. first intelligent thing you have said

thank you. first intelligent thing you have said
    ^^^^^^^ Offers relationship advice and votes! ^^^^^^^^^

If you're asking this bunch of chronically dysfunctional misfits for relationship advice, you've got bigger problems than this.

Mental health is affecting the relationship?

^^^^^^^ Offers relationship advice and votes! ^^^^^^^^^

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Let's please keep things civil and on-topic.

Thanks.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

At this point in my marriage, I tend to savor the silent treatment. It doesn’t happen often enough but when it does, I don’t have to explain myself and I can be alone with my thoughts. We need those breaks every now and again.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Honestly, I already asked a mental health expert about my condition since it has been giving me tons of psychological issues. I also read a lot of forums and articles from
    that perhaps has the issue same as mine. It's like I'm getting paranoid and I only want to fix this. I told my partner that the silent treatment is way too hurtful rather than spoken brutal words.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Yes, I have put this into considerations. Thanks for your suggestion.