Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: ME-Lawsuit alleges "smart meters" overcharged electric customers

  1. #1

    Exclamation ME-Lawsuit alleges "smart meters" overcharged electric customers

    Told ya so...



    5000 Utility Customers in Maine Join Class Action Lawsuit Claiming They Were Overbilled. 2017 Dutch Research Determined “Smart” Meters Inflate Bills 30% to 582%.

    https://www.activistpost.com/2018/07...verbilled.html

    JULY 20, 2018
    By B.N. Frank

    Three law firms will represent 5000 people in their complaints of overbilling by Central Maine Power Co.

    CMP is one of many utility companies across North America that has installed “Smart” Meters. There have been complaints about inflated billing and more everywhere these types of meters have been installed.

    2017 Dutch research confirmed that these meters can cause measurement errors from 30% to 582%.

    CMP knew about billing issues from the start but dismissed them even while people complained:

    Auditors have so far found no anomalies in the company’s new billing software or its smart meter network to explain bills that for some customers were two to three times what they had been during the same period in the previous year, CMP President and CEO Doug Herling said April 5 in a conference call with reporters.

    “We have done our investigation, at this point in time we have not found anything about our system or smart meters that would artificially increase customers’ usage,” he said.

    The Maine Coalition to Stop Smart Meters has been active for many years in the fight against “Smart” Meters:

    In the effort to stop smart meters from eroding our health and legal rights, Maine is first in the nation:

    Fighting for, obtaining, and retaining right to opt out.
    Appealing a rejected Public Utilities Commission (PUC) complaint to a state’s highest court.
    Winning a state Supreme Court victory in a smart meter case.
    To have a high court remanding a smart meter complaint back to the PUC.
    With a full PUC investigation into health and safety of smart meters.
    For a PUC determining they will not be limited by FCC guidelines in their investigation.
    According to their website, 8,000 Mainers have paid to opt out of “Smart” Meters.

    Consumer advocates and many others can’t say enough bad things about “Smart” Meters.

    People all over the world don’t want “Smart” Meters. In 2013, a documentary was produced about the many problems associated with them. A 2017 documentary includes coverage of problems associated with these meters as well.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Good, I hope these people get their day in court heard--far and wide!

    The health impact is a REAL issue and needs to be addressed as well.

    Are you suffering symptoms of microwave sickness at home or at work without realising the cause?
    http://www.tacinterconnections.com/i...sing-the-cause

    Smart Meters Rising
    http://microwavenews.com/short-takes...-meters-rising
    My website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

    "No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens

  4. #3
    Water meters as well. Foes fight the tide of 'smart' water meters - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ities/1884677/

  5. #4
    We had one installed while we were away. Didn't get a chance to opt out. In N.C. you have to pay a fee to opt out, but it you get a "doctor's excuse" for health reasons you won't be charged the fee.

  6. #5
    30 to 600 percent . WTF . Did they think nobody might notice that ?
    Do something Danke

  7. #6
    Yep. They have problems sometimes. The real question is at what level is the cover-up occurring? Workers covering up errors? First level managers? How high up?

    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...nd-it-stinketh
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  8. #7
    N.C. options....

    The State Utilities Commission did set up a process for those who wish not to use smart meters - "We will start to receive postcards in the mail from Duke alerting users that smart meters will be installed. Those will include phone numbers to call if you want to opt out of the program. There are two ways to do that. One is essentially to get a doctor's note saying you shouldn't be exposed to the smart meter technology. Secondarily, you could just tell Duke 'I don't want the new smart meters' and in that case you'll be paying a one-time $150 fee and a monthly charge of around $11.50, which is an extra fee for the old-fashioned meter readers to come out."
    ...it's good to be a monopoly.

    http://bpr.org/post/opting-out-dukes...hat-can-happen

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    N.C. options....



    ...it's good to be a monopoly.

    http://bpr.org/post/opting-out-dukes...hat-can-happen
    Here you have to opt in and they will give you ten bucks off a bill . Same company . Excellent ploy now that I think of it , offer to give ten bucks , take thirty percent instead . Brilliant .
    Last edited by oyarde; 07-21-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    Do something Danke



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Water meters as well. Foes fight the tide of 'smart' water meters - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ities/1884677/
    There were lots of complaints about the water meters out here massively overcharging some people.
    Donald Trump: 'What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening'

    "Truth isn't truth"- Rudy Giuliani

    "China has total respect for Donald Trump and for Donald Trump's very, very large brain," - Donald Trump.

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    There were lots of complaints about the water meters out here massively overcharging some people.
    Holy smoke...I'm gobsmacked here.

    I saw you were the last to comment and was almost certain I would read a reply from you humbugging these charges as nothing but a bunch of conspiracy theory nonsense.

    Yes, the non human interfaced meters are overcharging people, from coast to coast.

  13. #11
    Skynet is collect operating expenses.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  14. #12
    Wish they would have left in the old meters and run the new ones in parallel with them.

    Would have been nice to have been able to verify the new ones from the old ones.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Wish they would have left in the old meters and run the new ones in parallel with them.

    Would have been nice to have been able to verify the new ones from the old ones.
    That's the problem with all of this interconnected, "Internet of Things" horse$#@!.

    There is no way to accurately rate performance or standards, when anybody from god knows where, doing god knows what, can remotely access all these things and finger $#@! them to show anything they want.

    You try to challenge it, it being anything from a bogus electric bill, to "smart" TV surveillance to your vote for president, and you get "oh, sorry sir, the computer doesn't lie".

  16. #14
    Sorry folks. The metrology and the comms module (the thing that makes them “smart” meters) are two totally different components. If the metrology is bad on certain meters, it has nothing to do with it being a smart meter.

    Once again... privacy is a big concern with smart meters. Health and accuracy are bogus.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Sorry folks. The metrology and the comms module (the thing that makes them “smart” meters) are two totally different components. If the metrology is bad on certain meters, it has nothing to do with it being a smart meter.

    Once again... privacy is a big concern with smart meters. Health and accuracy are bogus.
    We need more data on how often everybody takes a dump.

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Sorry folks. The metrology and the comms module (the thing that makes them “smart” meters) are two totally different components. If the metrology is bad on certain meters, it has nothing to do with it being a smart meter.

    Once again... privacy is a big concern with smart meters. Health and accuracy are bogus.
    Well, hang on a second.

    Weather sensors are what makes it a "smart" meter, among things, so that you can get charged more during times of high demand, like a heat wave.

    If those weather sensors are wrong/have been deliberately $#@!ed with and are showing inaccurate readings on the current weather, therefore charging you more money, how does that make accusations against their accuracy "bogus"?



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Well, hang on a second.

    Weather sensors are what makes it a "smart" meter, among things, so that you can get charged more during times of high demand, like a heat wave.

    If those weather sensors are wrong/have been deliberately $#@!ed with and are showing inaccurate readings on the current weather, therefore charging you more money, how does that make accusations against their accuracy "bogus"?
    Weather sensors?? I think you’re misunderstanding how these things work. At least in the US, I’m not familiar with any weather sensors on the meter. Some utilities may use RTP pricing but that is not dictated by the meter. That is the rate and input from the generation suppliers. And that’s driven off peak load which is impacted by weather, but not sensors in the meters. I’m on my phone and can’t type up an explanation, but damn there’s a lot of confusion over what smart meters do.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Wish they would have left in the old meters and run the new ones in parallel with them.

    Would have been nice to have been able to verify the new ones from the old ones.
    One of the main excuses used by the companies has been that the old meters were inaccurate, thus the difference in readings.
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  22. #19
    2017- Skynet becomes self funding.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    One of the main excuses used by the companies has been that the old meters were inaccurate, thus the difference in readings.
    Well, I'm tempted to install my own meter right after theirs and compare the two.

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Weather sensors?? I think you’re misunderstanding how these things work. At least in the US, I’m not familiar with any weather sensors on the meter. Some utilities may use RTP pricing but that is not dictated by the meter. That is the rate and input from the generation suppliers. And that’s driven off peak load which is impacted by weather, but not sensors in the meters. I’m on my phone and can’t type up an explanation, but damn there’s a lot of confusion over what smart meters do.
    OK, I deferring to your knowledge in this area.

    You said "meteorology and comm modules".

    To me that can only mean one of two things:

    1 - A comm module communicating with an offsite server that feeds weather data, the whole point that the grid is "smart", sensing and responding to loads based on demand, driven by many factors, including current weather.

    2 - A local sensor feeding back data, to accomplish the same goal.

    Now, there is no question that there is real time remote access to these things.

    Explain how it would be impossible to manipulate the meter to read significantly higher than what the actual usage was.

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    OK, I deferring to your knowledge in this area.

    You said "meteorology and comm modules".

    To me that can only mean one of two things:

    1 - A comm module communicating with an offsite server that feeds weather data, the whole point that the grid is "smart", sensing and responding to loads based on demand, driven by many factors, including current weather.

    2 - A local sensor feeding back data, to accomplish the same goal.

    Now, there is no question that there is real time remote access to these things.

    Explain how it would be impossible to manipulate the meter to read significantly higher than what the actual usage was.
    Sorry. I’m on my phone, but I meant metrology, not meteorology.

    Metrology = the mechanism that measures the flow of electricity, gas or water.
    Comms module = the mechanism that sends those measurement over a communications network.

    The metrology is held to very strict ANSI standard of measurements. The comms module has nothing to do with the measurements except to pass them through. The comms module doesn’t even “read” the measurements much less have the ability to alter them.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

  26. #23
    People all over the world don’t want “Smart” Meters.
    ... and yet they are forced upon us.

    Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows



Similar Threads

  1. Smart Meters, Electric Monopolies & The Quest To Go Analog
    By Origanalist in forum Privacy & Data Security
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 10:55 AM
  2. Smart Meters, Electric Monopolies & The Quest To Go Analog
    By Origanalist in forum Individual Rights Violations: Case Studies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 10:55 AM
  3. Illinois Electricity Customers Forced to Get 'Smart Meters' or Pay Fine
    By Anti Federalist in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-14-2014, 01:17 PM
  4. H.R. 2685: Federally Mandated "Smart Meters" on Your Power Pole
    By presence in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 08:13 PM
  5. "Smart Grid" electric meters caught doubling power usage.
    By Anti Federalist in forum Freedom Living
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-19-2009, 10:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •