View Poll Results: If NYT reported Cohen tapes are real and made public, what will be political impact?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very little impact/ none

9 50.00%
  • Some impact but easily manageable

3 16.67%
  • Major impact/ could threaten 2020/midterms/Presidency

4 22.22%
  • Not sure / other

2 11.11%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If NYT reported Cohen tapes are real and made public, what will be political impact?

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I'm guessing it depends what's in the tapes versus what the media says is in the tapes. No one has even heard the tapes yet and the media is already claiming victory.
    Agreed.
    Media has a tendency to get ahead of itself again and again but in this case at least one of the tape has been heard by some folks or aware of contents. Their is also tease about Cohen having more tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    These two posts sum up my outlook. So far every smoking gun against Trump has either been an exaggeration or an outright lie. The US probably has hit scandal fatigue as it did with Bill Clinton.
    Hence his nickname 'Teflon Trump'. Trump had positioned himself to be the largest and most effective savior of GOP base's core interests and as a result he could 'shoot someone in Time square' and get away with it. That equation is slightly changing in MidWest with tariffs impact on farmers, so things could change near midterms.

Depending on the contents of tapes, there could be erosion of some of his GOP support on margins/Independents etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNlt62JwmBg

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    How does one get the media to quit talking about Russia?

Boobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Trump is a master of controversy.

His first months of presidency has proven negative consequences do not affect his agenda.

In some of the commentaries online, conspiracy theories also appear to be emerging that this story's timing is designed to distract attention from so called Russiagate/Putingate. Although it had been known for a while that Cohen could be prosecuted, there is no MSM report suggesting that these tapes were planted with aim to clear MAGA. Some even had suggsted that Rudy was deep stage but most of this is in the realm of speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    And not a single person here is complaining loudly that attorney / client privilege should make these tapes a non-starter? Trump had a reasonable expectation of privacy and protection here. Nixon didn't as he was the person doing the recording.
    Many in GOP base appeared willing to overlook even Russian hacking of Hillary's servers if that exposed the truth.
    Your argument will apply in case of a legal defense but in terms of political impact, I'm afarid it would not resonate with large part of public depending on contents of tapes.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump's lawyers had already waved "privilege" on the tapes.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/21/polit...ing/index.html

Despite the President's comment Saturday, he has waived privilege on the recording, said two sources briefed on legal discussions surrounding the materials seized in April. The recording had been deemed privileged by a former federal judge, known as a special master, one of the sources said, adding that Trump's lawyers asked the special master to withdraw the privilege. This gives the government access to the recording as part of the US attorney for the Southern District of New York investigation into Cohen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

This means the "leak" is intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post

Hence his nickname 'Teflon Trump'. Trump had positioned himself to be the largest and most effective savior of GOP base's core interests and as a result he could 'shoot someone in Time square' and get away with it. That equation is slightly changing in MidWest with tariffs impact on farmers, so things could change near midterms.

Depending on the contents of tapes, there could be erosion of some of his GOP support on margins/Independents etc.
    rl]
    They need not call him Teflon because so far they really have nothing damning on him (in a legal sense). Just about every night the MSM claims they have something and it turns out to be a nothing burger. The worse they had was the Access Hollywood tape. It was funny seeing some Democratic friends throwing a fit when I heard these friends of mine use as bad or worse language. What else do you think Bill C and Donald T talked about on their golf outings?

As an aside, I will never again take a dyed in the wool Dem or Repub seriously when they claim to be horrified about adultery.

TAs an aside, I will never again take a dyed in the wool Dem or Repub seriously when they claim to be horrified about adultery.
    Humans like to $#@!. It's fun.

And not a single person here is complaining loudly that attorney / client privilege should make these tapes a non-starter? Trump had a reasonable expectation of privacy and protection here. Nixon didn't as he was the person doing the recording.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...pied-on-Trump)
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Lawyer taping client IS legal and does happen.
    LOL. Pretty sure it doesn't happen with the client being unaware.
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Humans like to $#@!. It's fun.
    Indeed it is.

They need not call him Teflon because so far they really have nothing damning on him (in a legal sense). Just about every night the MSM claims they have something and it turns out to be a nothing burger. The worse they had was the Access Hollywood tape. It was funny seeing some Democratic friends throwing a fit when I heard these friends of mine use as bad or worse language. What else do you think Bill C and Donald T talked about on their golf outings?

As an aside, I will never again take a dyed in the wool Dem or Repub seriously when they claim to be horrified about adultery.
    Reagan was originally called the "teflon President" because of all the people who worked for him who were indicted for various things while he was untouched.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2005/10/17/157477/-

"By the end of his term, 138 Reagan administration officials had been convicted, had been indicted, or had been the subject of official investigations for official misconduct and/or criminal violations. In terms of number of officials involved, the record of his administration was the worst ever."
    Nixon had eight, Clinton one. Partial list of Reagan officials at link.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Reagan was originally called the "teflon President" because of all the people who worked for him who were indicted for various things while he was untouched.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2005/10/17/157477/-

Nixon had eight, Clinton one. Partial list of Reagan officials at link.
    Again, I have seen no smoking gun against Trump, just conspiracy theories. CNN is the new Alex Jones.

Also, the original Teflon Don was John Gotti.

Again, I have seen no smoking gun against Trump, just conspiracy theories. CNN is the new Alex Jones.

Also, the original Teflon Don was John Gotti.
    Actually Reagan bet him on the moniker. Reagan was dubbed Teflon by Patricia Schroeder (D-Colorado) in 1983. Gotti didn't become a Don until the 1985 murder of Paul Castellano.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...tenced-to-life

https://politicaldictionary.com/word...ed-presidency/
    https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...tenced-to-life

Deranged leftists try to prove Trump had sex with playboy super models? How does this hurt Trump? Every man wants to be him and every woman wants his money. It will only increase his support.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Clinton has sex outside marriage- right freaks out- proclaiming immorality and demands impeachment (gets him for lying about it). Trump has sex outside marriage- right is "so what?". (noting that Republicans controlled Congress at both times- partisanship was surely a factor)

What they are looking into is was election money used to pay of any of the women- that would be illegal. If it came from his personal funds- no problem.

Every man wants to be him
    Not every man. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...us-authoritar/
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-21-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Clinton has sex outside marriage- right freaks out
    So you are suggesting "the right" as you refer to it, has become more accepting and doesn't care about personal consensual lives? Shows the successes of Libertarianism. Why don't you highlight these successes instead of always portraying it with a negative connotation.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    So you are suggesting "the right" as you refer to it, has become more accepting and doesn't care about personal consensual lives? Shows the successes of Libertarianism. Why don't you highlight these successes instead of always portraying it with a negative connotation.
    Trump is not libertarian. (see link in previous post)

Yes Ron Paul wants to be Trump because Ron Paul wanted to be president, Trump did what Ron and Rand couldn't do and Rand is a big supporter.

Yes Ron Paul wants to be Trump because Ron Paul wanted to be president, Trump did what Ron and Rand couldn't do and Rand is a big supporter.
    That is about the ONLY way Ron Paul would like to be like Trump.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lawyer taping client IS legal and does happen.
    Nobody is saying it isn't legal, you irritating little troll who would be banned if Bryan actually wanted the forums to be an activist platform. What we are saying is that it's not admissible against Trump, because Trump had a reasonable expectation of privacy.

waived*.

And unless you have the names of those sources, you're spewing garbage.

"By the end of his term, 138 Reagan administration officials had been convicted, had been indicted, or had been the subject of official investigations for official misconduct and/or criminal violations. In terms of number of officials involved, the record of his administration was the worst ever."

Your source lists 21 people, not 138.

And why are there quotes around those words? Who in the world are they quoting? They don't even give a source.

Furthermore, your 138 lumps together convictions with investigations? Being investigated is the same as being convicted?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Nobody is saying it isn't legal, you irritating little troll who would be banned if Bryan actually wanted the forums to be an activist platform.
    Sad really. I am getting tired of this complete lack of transparency. The details of the recent session with Rand are not available either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    No video. Officially, this never happened.

Clinton has sex outside marriage- right freaks out- proclaiming immorality and demands impeachment (gets him for lying about it). Trump has sex outside marriage- right is "so what?".

What they are looking into is was election money used to pay of any of the women- that would be illegal. If it came from his personal funds- no problem.

Just forget about the rape and the treason with China.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

How does this hurt Trump? Every man wants to be him and every woman wants his money. It will only increase his support.
    Considering that he's currently leader of the Family Values (God, Family, Country) party and is not running under a liberal flag, "every man" theory might be bit of stretch even if there maybe some truth to your assertion. This was just one recent example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNlt62JwmBg

Yes, Nixon's taping system was in the Oval Office! Excellent point!

That is about the ONLY way Ron Paul would like to be like Trump.
    Zippy, I trust you have noticed that Ron & Rand are backing POTUS up even MORE despite the increasing
    number of critics his actions have recently PO'ed, and that this display of true grit by them suggests that
    several issue stances do overlap. Trump's version of a public debt contradicts Doctor Ron Paul's legendary
    frugality, but his lil hints at a looksie at the ole FED suggests an audit of the same might be in the works.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Considering that he's currently leader of the Family Values (God, Family, Country) party and is not running under a liberal flag, "every man" theory might be bit of stretch even if there maybe some truth to your assertion. This was just one recent example:

That angle is already decided, especially in contrast to any opponent he may face. He is seen as a stalwart defender of those values, his voters understood during the election he wasn't a perfect person in their eyes. And that Mike Lee video isn't recent its almost 2 years old.

That angle is already decided, especially in contrast to any opponent he may face. He is seen as a stalwart defender of those values, his voters understood during the election he wasn't a perfect person in their eyes. And that Mike Lee video isn't recent its almost 2 years old.
    I understand that argument, and possible that family values views like religious conservative Mile Lee's may have evolved in last 2 years. By the same token, views of some of those who were willing to hold their noses and support an imperfect candidate towards the end of 8 years of Obama can eveolve too in 2018/2020 depending on new landscape and new perceptions about an already 'imperfect' leader. I was disagreeing with blanket 'every man' assertion and still do.

Clinton has sex outside marriage- right freaks out- proclaiming immorality and demands impeachment (gets him for lying about it). Trump has sex outside marriage- right is "so what?".

Libertarians and Bible Belt Protestants liked most of Senator Barry Goldwater's ideas, but there are times
    when they can sharply disagree on things at the local level that would impact things like zoning etc. so I
    try not to lump everyone and everything together. Donny Trump & Bill Clinton have very similar sex scandals,
    yes. At one point, on Manhattan Island DJT looked and sounded like a Centrist who humoured the New Left
    as he built big buildings & put his name on them. The new sex tapes hit moderate/centrists square & hard.

In his feud with Gov.Mitt Romney, Donald Trump verbally stomped all over him.
    Any new disclosures from the FBI raid on Mister Cohen could cause the Mittsters
    to rethink how they GOP vote. If THEY turn on DJT and align with the traditional
    LEFT, Trump has one big problem looming. Gentleman Mitt is the last practitioner
    of 1950s era Eisenhower Republicanism. We'd hate to think IKE horridly cheated
    on Mamie, we all are more inclined to think FDR wronged poor Eleanor more often
    and badly. The younger generation of Republicans has looser morals almost. Maybe.
    The New Left in the 1970s never trusted DJT, they only tolerated his antics. His PR.
    It's a specific core of support inside the GOP that the tapes are game changers to!
    Nearly all the Democrats have made up their minds about him. This is why a 50/50
    split exists in the way we all voted in the poll. Some 80% of the public will not shift
    or change, but swing states that are battleground have 20% of their voters flipping
    elections red or blue. Or to elsewhere, when being a confused political "purple" often.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast