Thread: More Marital Battles, More Health Problems for Men

More Marital Battles, More Health Problems for Men

The last fight we had was around my birthday last year. We probably have one fight every year. It's a purge.

Disagreeing too often with your spouse could be bad for your health—a finding that might be used to sway arguments in favor of women, as it especially applies to men. It comes from a 16-year study of 373 heterosexual married couples in the US, presented at a recent meeting of the International Association for Relationship Research in Colorado. "We followed married couples over the first 16 years of marriage and compared the subjective health of wives and husbands who reported a greater number of conflict topics to those who reported fewer," researcher Rosie Shrout tells the Guardian. Couples who experienced less conflict in a marriage's early years generally saw health benefits. But too much conflict in a relationship—whether related to children, money, leisure activities, or something else—was found to be "very damaging to health," Shrout says.

While previous research has identified numerous marital perks—married people live longer, are less likely to get sick, and heal faster than those who are single, divorced, or widowed—"we were surprised that conflict was more important for husbands' health than for wives' health," Shrout tells Bustle. She says the higher the number of disagreement topics, the more a husband's health suffers, though "it might be that the number of topics is not as impactful for women, but rather how conflict is resolved." Psychologist Veronica Lamarche, who was not involved in the study, notes health problems may be linked to "different types of physiological responses, such as increased release of stress hormones, inflammation, changes in appetite regulation, and immune functioning." It's for that reason that "it's important to work on communicating with each other effectively."
    http://www.newser.com/story/262066/m...s-for-men.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    The last fight we had was around my birthday last year. We probably have one fight every year. It's a purge.
    http://www.newser.com/story/262066/m...s-for-men.html
    Same here, maybe 1 a year, or less. Less the older we get and we both usually just end up telling each other to $#@! off and then laugh about it a shortwhile later.

So, it's confirmed then??? Our wives are killing us?

Irrefutable evidence of why men die earlier.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Disagreeing too often with your spouse could be bad for your health—a finding that might be used to sway arguments in favor of women, as it especially applies to men.
    WTF is this bull$#@!? '

Don't disagree with me dear, it's bad for your health'.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Same here, maybe 1 a year, or less. Less the older we get and we both usually just end up telling each other to $#@! off and then laugh about it a shortwhile later.
    Same here.

We had one of those disagreements a few weeks ago and we're still laughing about it. It was of a sexual nature and his douchbaggery was so astounding on so many levels all we could do was laugh. He was even shocked about what an $#@! he was.

I'll tell if anyone wants to know but I don't want to TMI. It was really funny.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

WTF is this bull$#@!? '

Don't disagree with me dear, it's bad for your health'.
    I'm gonna use that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I'm gonna use that one.
    I'm shocked.
    "The Patriarch"

I'm shocked.
    I fight dirty.

In my defense, it's not easy to win a fight with Mr A.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    She says the higher the number of disagreement topics, the more a husband's health suffers, though "it might be that the number of topics is not as impactful for women, but rather how conflict is resolved."
    Oh yeah, I can see that...just watching this makes me want to $#@!ing scream.

Stress in general can be harmful to your health.