Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McDonald's Says Goodbye Cashiers, Hello Kiosks

McDonald's Says Goodbye Cashiers, Hello Kiosks

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edrensi...s-hello-kiosks

Jul 11, 2018

“Would you like fries with that?” may soon be a phrase of the past.

As minimum wage levels approach or surpass $15 nationwide, restaurant customers expecting to be greeted by a smiling face will instead be welcomed by a glowing LED screen.

As of 2020, self-service ordering kiosks will be implemented at all U.S. McDonald’s locations. Other chains, including fast-casual brands like Panera and casual-dining brands like Chili's, have already embraced this trend. Some restaurant concepts have even automated the food-preparation process; earlier this year, NBC News profiled "Flippy," a robot hamburger flipper. Other upcoming concepts include virtual restaurants which eliminate the need for full-service restaurants (and staff) by only offering home delivery.

While some consumers may appreciate the novelty or added convenience, the conveniences come at the cost of entry-level jobs.

My concern about this is personal. Without my opportunity to start as a grill man, I would have never ended up running one of largest fast food chains in the world. I started working at McDonald’s making the minimum wage of 85 cents an hour. I worked hard and earned a promotion to restaurant manager within just one year, then went on to hold almost every position available throughout the company, eventually rising to CEO of McDonalds USA.

The kind of job that allowed me and many others to rise through the ranks is now being threatened by a rising minimum wage that’s pricing jobs out of the market. Without sacrificing food quality or taste, or abandoning the much-loved value menu, franchise owners must keep labor costs under control. One way to combat rising labor costs is by reducing the amount of employees needed.

This trend is nothing new. Chains have responded to rising labor costs and technological advancement accordingly and McDonald's has been leading the way as a pioneer in productivity among employees, concepts, and machines. From the invention of the “Speedee Service System” to the famous Multimixer shake machine, these innovations have reduced the labor needed to increase output levels and made employees’ jobs easier in the process.

These innovations dating back to McDonald’s founding were not intended to reduce the number of employees; rather, they were designed to make employees more efficient at their jobs. The introduction of self-service ordering tablets has been presented in a similar manner. However, with labor costs continuing to skyrocket, it’s inevitable that restaurants and other fast food chains will continuously search for ways to reduce labor costs--particularly as customers get comfortable with new technology.

The research supports my concerns. A 2017 study by economists David Neumark and Grace Lordan finds a minimum-wage related increase in unemployment among employees who previously held jobs susceptible to automation. Younger workers were some of the hardest hit by this outcome, which shouldn't be surprising; according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nearly half of minimum wage workers are between the ages of 16 and 24.

Pricing young job seekers out of the market and a weekly paycheck is just one immediate effect of an increasing minimum wage. A study by University of Virginia and Middle Tennessee State University economists found that teenagers who held part-time jobs in school had annual earnings that were 20 percent higher than their counterparts without experience six to nine years after graduation.

These entry level jobs such as flipping burgers or taking customers orders teach teens valuable jobs skills such as customer service and applying basic math skills. Skills that could ultimately lead to the career stepping stones for a working teenager to become an engineer or accountant.

Technological innovation can and has helped employees work more comfortably and efficiently, but when outside intervention forces higher labor costs onto restaurant owners, they will innovate in ways that replace employees instead of empowering them.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's easier to just order on your phone, plus they give you really good deals on the app.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

They have those at a McDs near where I work. The user interface is terrible. Everybody goes to the two cashiers instead. Not that it is a bad idea, it needs a better design.

Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post
    They have those at a McDs near where I work. The user interface is terrible. Everybody goes to the two cashiers instead. Not that it is a bad idea, it needs a better design.
    WTF are you talking about??

Easy peasy, what do you recommend they change?

People will get tripped up at first no matter how easy you make it, but eventually they will get used to it.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

I don't have anything against kiosks; I like the ones at Wawa. The McD's is just difficult to use. The third time I used it, my friend I was eating with used the cashier. He walked to his seat with his food when I was completing my order. I am an old dude, but at the Aberdeen MD McDs 80% of the people still use the cashier.

If you download the mcdonalds app on your phone, lately they have had a deal for a $1 sandwich - any sandwich besides the signature crafted sandwiches or a double quarter pounder with cheese.. You can't get that deal without having the app, and using the app you can order on your phone and just go pick it up (drive-thru, in-store or they will even bring it to your parked car..)

So you can get a quarter pounder with cheese for $1. Then I get a $2 bacon mcdouble, throw away the bun on the bacon mcdouble and put the meat/cheese/bacon on top of the quarter pounder with cheese to make a triple bacon cheeseburger for $3. No fries, no drink, might get a coffee or something but none of the sugary ones.
    Last edited by dannno; 07-20-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    If you download the mcdonalds app on your phone, lately they have had a deal for a $1 sandwich - any sandwich besides the signature crafted sandwiches or a double quarter pounder with cheese.. You can't get that deal without having the app, and using the app you can order on your phone and just go pick it up (drive-thru, in-store or they will even bring it to your parked car..)

So you can get a quarter pounder with cheese for $1. Then I get a $2 bacon mcdouble, throw away the bun on the bacon mcdouble and put the meat/cheese/bacon on top of the quarter pounder with cheese to make a triple bacon cheeseburger for $3. No fries, no drink, might get a coffee or something but none of the sugary ones.
    Free fries for the rest of the year!

McDonald's is giving away fries for the rest of the year ... if you spend $1 on its app - https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/19/us/mc...ies/index.html

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Free fries for the rest of the year!

McDonald's is giving away fries for the rest of the year ... if you spend $1 on its app - https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/19/us/mc...ies/index.html
    I don't think I've had McDonalds fries in almost 20 years, but a lot of people really like them.

Is this all posturing the scare the public about actual rising wages? The guy says he's bummed about the threat to jobs and the kind of opportunity he had as a Grill Man. The kiosks are not grilling the burgers are they?

If I was a younger person starting out, this would make McDonalds more appealing actually because I've never liked the idea of being a cashier or dealing with the $#@! public.

As a customer, I regularly use the Self Checkouts at Walmart and would be fine with using this if I want a McBurger or Coffee.

It will be hacked by the ruskies, and all you get is the Vlad Special, a short dog of vodka and a rutabaga.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Do the kiosks take cash? Literally ran into the no cash problem the other day. And I had run into it 15 years ago too. It’s where the cashier has no cash for change. They only take cards.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I guess Minimum Wage is too expensive for the company to afford and still make a profit? Oh well, it seems to solve the problem of Livable Wage by rejecting all humans and also takes care of the problem of companies that exploit people with Minimum Wage being subsidized by govt thru Welfare...

---

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Do the kiosks take cash? Literally ran into the no cash problem the other day. And I had run into it 15 years ago too. It’s where the cashier has no cash for change. They only take cards.
    War on Cash. Debit Cards are as dangerous to Privacy as Cell Phones and Google and the NSA.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    War on Cash. Debit Cards are as dangerous to Privacy as Cell Phones and Google and the NSA.
    No problem. It’s just like checking in with Big Mommy every time you make a purchase.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Ya you can insert bills.

I hate these $#@!ing things and will not use them.

I also hate this new trend of table top devices, that dun you with noise, ads and games, have a camera and microphone that god only knows who is watching and listening, and then make you finger $#@! the fool thing to pay.

$#@! that, I pay top dollar to have a good meal with good service and that includes taking my order and handling the bill and not shoving surveillance literally, right in my face.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

I also hate this new trend of table top devices, that dun you with noise, ads and games, have a camera and microphone that god only knows who is watching and listening, and then make you finger $#@! the fool thing to pay.

$#@! that, I pay top dollar to have a good meal with good service and that includes taking my order and handling the bill and not shoving surveillance literally, right in my face.

Calm down.

@donnay, do something.
    Last edited by Danke; 07-20-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

We've had them for years at several of their places around here. Used one of them once. I prefer a cashier doing the work for me, call me lazy..

By the way, they still try to call it a restaurant, so I should get some kind of service, don't I ?
    "I am a bird"

McDonald's argues it is a supermarket rather than restaurant in Russia - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...in-Russia.html

Pretty much where I am on that too .
    Do something Danke

MickeyD's close to me has them. They also have a couple cashier-types hovering around the kiosks to assist. I don't like them either.... call me old school.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Calm down.

@donnay, do something.
    Hat tip to @Suzanimal

I spied this mug in one of her pictures of frilly girly stuff.

Maybe that's a blessing is disguise. Now if only Burger King and other nasty fast food places install these, it really will be a blessing.

Besides be careful of McDonald's salads, I hear lots of people getting sick from them.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Hat tip to @Suzanimal

I spied this mug in one of her pictures of frilly girly stuff.

LOL, I do have that mug. My kids got it for me because they think I have ADHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I hate them and will use them. I scan everything I can do myself and then I just keep hitting the call for assistance button until someone comes to ring up the rest of my crap. I refuse to scan loose vegetables. The person who shows up tries to shoe me how and I tell them I don't want to know because I don't work here.

On that note...

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    We've had them for years at several of their places around here. Used one of them once. I prefer a cashier doing the work for me, call me lazy..

By the way, they still try to call it a restaurant, so I should get some kind of service, don't I ?
    yep, they brought the food to my table.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Besides be careful of McDonald's salads, I hear lots of people getting sick from them.
    No healthy food at Mickey D?

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I guess Minimum Wage is too expensive for the company to afford and still make a profit? Oh well, it seems to solve the problem of Livable Wage by rejecting all humans and also takes care of the problem of companies that exploit people with Minimum Wage being subsidized by govt thru Welfare...

---

I think that's only part of the problem. My crazy ass niece is a manager at our McDonalds and I asked her if they specifically hired "special" people. She said they don't and the people there aren't technically "special", they're just plain ol dumbasses. I haven't eaten there in years but I do stop in occasionally to see her and it's painful listening to people trying give their order to these nutters.

I think it also has to do with the quality of people they get. Our McD's starts at over minimum wage. If I remember correctly, she said they start at 10.00 an hour and if you act like you have some sense they promote you quickly. She only worked there a month before she was a manager. BTW, she's very smart - crazy as hell but smart.

All these people needlessly losing their jobs. We should put a tariff on kiosks.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast