Thread: Secrets of a Very Catholic Daughter

Secrets of a Very Catholic Daughter

https://www.independent.com/news/201...olic-daughter/

Secrets of a Very Catholic Daughter

‘Hiding Out’ Author Tina Alexis Allen Talks Drugs, Deception, and Double Lives

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

by STARSHINE ROSHELL

I thought my dad saddled me with some psychological baggage.

He used to leap around naked in front of thousands of people weekly while touring the nation in Hair, a rock musical about sex, drugs, and draft-dodging. On my first day of 9th grade at a snooty prep school, my 70-year-old history teacher proclaimed to the class that my father had sat naked on her lap during a matinee in Baltimore. I never quite recovered.

But then I met Tina Alexis Allen and discovered I had it easy. Really easy.

Tina was the youngest of 13 kids in an extremely Catholic family. Her father was knighted by the Pope and led religious tours to the Holy Land. “If you didn’t know better, you’d probably say he was the holiest man you ever met,” she told me last week. But at home, he drank and raged; his children feared him.

Tina was terrified he’d discover her secret: She was gay. But when she was 18, he flabbergasted her by revealing not only that he knew her secret — but that he himself had a history of sexual relationships with men, including clergy members.

“On the one hand, it’s shocking, and it’s my father,” says Tina, an actress who tells the story in her new memoir, Hiding Out: A Memoir of Drugs, Deception, and Double Lives. “But there’s also an excitement that someone knows — and for the first time I’m not feeling completely different and alone, lying to my family. I’m sure on some level he probably felt the same way.”

Even more shocking? She and her dad began secretly clubbing together — dancing, drugging and having sex with strangers at underground gay nightclubs in Washington, D.C., and Europe. She was thrilled to share a secret identity with the father she had never been close with … but she was also plagued with guilt about their continued deception of the family — especially her mother.

“It wasn’t a perfect father-daughter relationship!” she freely admits, “but there was some beauty in sharing something vital that we didn’t get to share anywhere else.”

However, while working for her dad’s travel business, she discovered more secrets that made her question him on a deeper level: He had multiple passports. A briefcase full of cash turned up at one point. And he was traveling half a million miles a year. Tina could never get him to come clean about what was going on but believes he was doing secret work for his high-level connections at the Vatican.

Years of pretending to be someone she wasn’t paid off for Tina. After working as a New York City fashion executive, she felt called to the stage and began an acting career at age 29. She wrote and performed a solo show called Secrets of a Holy Father, in which she portrayed her dad and his double life. “It was a compassionate exploration of how he compartmentalized who he truly was,” she says.

Though the whole family eventually learned the truth, and Tina’s parents are both deceased — and though she has changed all names in her memoir (Allen is her stage name) — some of her siblings disapprove of the book.

“There are people in my family that would prefer things remain a secret,” she says. “But it’s not a revenge book. It’s not out of anger; I’ve been way past that for a long time. The legacy I want to leave in my family, even if half don’t want to talk to me, is to be a truth teller. Family, to me, works best when you really let each other be who you are.”

So I suppose this is overdue, then: Dad, if you and your altogether needed to conduct a groovy solo love-in on old Mrs. McConnell’s lap, then who am I to begrudge you?

But I swear to god, if I find out you sat naked on the Pope, we’re done.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Catholic Girls

she has changed all names in her memoir (Allen is her stage name) — some of her siblings disapprove of the book.

“There are people in my family that would prefer things remain a secret,” she says.
    Could this be Catholic girl Melania's book?

Climbing the stairway to Heaven.
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 07-19-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

What else is new?

The Catholic church has been riddled with this kind of thing for centuries.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Could this be Catholic girl Melania's book?

You are descending into tabloid status, I used to respect you when your dogged opposition to Trump was based on issues he isn't perfect about but you are turning into enhanced_deficit.

When you have evidence that FLOTUS or POTUS engage in this kind of thing instead of wild speculation get back to me.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I was raised Catholic and left the church, but the way she described her childhood was quite a bit different than the way I remember my own, to say the least.

I'll just drop this off here...

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I was raised Catholic and left the church, but the way she described her childhood was quite a bit different than the way I remember my own, to say the least.
    The worst corruption in any organization is always an internal faction that hides from the majority.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

FLOTUS - the most publicized Catholic woman in the USA

You are descending into tabloid status, I used to respect you when your dogged opposition to Trump was based on issues he isn't perfect about but you are turning into enhanced_deficit.

When you have evidence that FLOTUS or POTUS engage in this kind of thing instead of wild speculation get back to me.
    FLOTUS is perhaps the most publicized Catholic woman in the USA today, Melania gets a lot of press. No Catholic woman bashing thread would be complete without some mention of the first lady.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    FLOTUS is perhaps the most publicized Catholic woman in the USA today, Melania gets a lot of press. No Catholic woman bashing thread would be complete without some mention of the first lady.
    That is nonsense, unless you have evidence of something she has done that relates to this thread there is no justification for your shoddy attempt at slander by association.
    If you really must attack Melania go out and find some dirt on her and start a thread on it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You are descending into tabloid status,

raw nerve?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

raw nerve?
    Nope, I just hate to see a poster I used to respect even if I disagreed with him turn into a worthless trash poster.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Nope, I just hate to see a poster I used to respect even if I disagreed with him turn into a worthless trash poster.
    I though someone was defacing an Idol.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I though someone was defacing an Idol.
    I don't idolize Melania Trump, I know a few of her imperfections already and I wouldn't be surprised to find out more, but a cheap-shot is a cheap-shot, there is no known connection between the issues in the OP and her, she is also irrelevant unless she uses her position to promote some issue.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post

You are not alone, it isn't uncommon to forget Traumatic Experiences.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Gratefully I had a wonderful childhood . I am guessing I would be the same man today regardless.I am not catholic.
    Do something Danke