Thread: Tiny Montengro and WWIII?

Tiny Montengro and WWIII?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/t...o-jibe-n892311

Trump calls out 'very aggressive' Montenegro in latest NATO jibe

The U.S. ally — which is smaller than Connecticut and about as populous as Baltimore — found itself in the president's cross hairs.

LONDON — In the 12 short years since Montenegro regained its independence, the European country has joined NATO, boosted its defense spending, and according to official figures contributes more troops per capita to the war in Afghanistan than the United States.

Yet this U.S. ally — smaller than Connecticut and about as populous as Baltimore — found itself in President Donald Trump's crosshairs late Tuesday as he once again criticized NATO.

The president suggested he would be unhappy defending "tiny" Montenegro if it were attacked, calling into question NATO's central principle of mutual defense.

He also questioned whether the country's "very aggressive people" could draw NATO into a war with Russia.

Like other presidents before him, Trump wants smaller NATO members to pull their weight by spending more on their militaries. But he's the first to directly challenge the alliance's mutual defense clause. Critics say that destabilizes one of the foundations of the post-World War II Western world.

Trump did not bring up Montenegro himself. It was used as an example by Tucker Carlson during an interview on Fox News.

"Membership in NATO obligates the members to defend any other member that's attacked," Carlson said. "So let’s say Montenegro, which joined last year, is attacked. Why should my son go to Montenegro to defend it from attack?"

Trump answered: "I understand what you're saying. I've asked the same question. Montenegro is a tiny country with very strong people. … They're very aggressive people. They may get aggressive, and congratulations you're in World War III."
    Trump has a history with the small Balkan nation.

At last year's NATO summit, the president pushed aside Montenegro Prime Minister Duško Marković as the leaders prepared for a group photo.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He is right, once they think they have NATO to defend them many countries become much more provocative towards their neighbors.

Tiny Serbia started WWI.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Warmonger McCain says Rand "working for Putin" after he blocks bill to add Montenegro to NATO

https://www.ronpaulforums.com/showth...enegro-to-NATO

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He is right, once they think they have NATO to defend them many countries become much more provocative towards their neighbors.

Tiny Serbia started WWI.
    Montenegro is in heavy debt to China (?) . . . swell, I guess that is European enough.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 01:58
    Chinese 'highway to nowhere' haunts Montenegro
    Montenegro's Bar-Boljare highway is being championed as the project of the century, but there are fears the scheme
    is weighing the tiny European country down with debt, and making it reliant on China.
    https://www.reuters.com/video/2018/0...eoId=445887418

F K EM
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Montenegro is in heavy debt to China (?) . . . swell, I guess that is European enough.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 01:58
    Chinese 'highway to nowhere' haunts Montenegro
    Montenegro's Bar-Boljare highway is being championed as the project of the century, but there are fears the scheme
    is weighing the tiny European country down with debt, and making it reliant on China.
    https://www.reuters.com/video/2018/0...eoId=445887418

At some point many debts will be defaulted on, will China go to war against Montenegro?
    Do we want to be on the hook to defend Montenegro if China does?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    At some point many debts will be defaulted on, will China go to war against Montenegro?
    Do we want to be on the hook to defend Montenegro if China does?
    China can not go against Montenegro. It would be like us going against North Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    China can not go against Montenegro. It would be like us going against North Korea.
    Montenegro is supposed to have nukes and millions of artillery pieces trained on the capitol of one of China's allies?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.