Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arizona State Representative Gets Pulled Over for High Speed Violation, Hilarity Ensues

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    What does the 1stA have to do with speeding?
    About as much as it has to do with the peace of the community. And thanks for asking.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    About as much as it has to do with the peace of the community. And thanks for asking.
    Speeding is a breach of the peace according to the law, it shouldn't be but it is, until it isn't a legislator should get special treatment.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Should of said he found out he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Speeding is a breach of the peace according to the law, it shouldn't be but it is, until it isn't a legislator should get special treatment.
    You still have neither proven that it is nor proven that anyone but you considers it to be.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

You still have neither proven that it is nor proven that anyone but you considers it to be.
    I most certainly have proven it by citing the legal definition of "breach of the peace" and my original post was a question asking why it wasn't considered one by the officer who pulled over the legislator, just because things aren't being run right is doesn't mean they shouldn't be.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I most certainly have proven it by citing the legal definition of "breach of the peace" and my original post was a question asking why it wasn't considered one by the officer who pulled over the legislator, just because things aren't being run right is doesn't mean they shouldn't be.
    The definitions you cited said nothing at all about operating motor vehicles.

You aren't interested in the rule of law or the principles upon which they may be based. You just want to apply the laws to those who piss you off.

If a cop pulled you over and cited you for both speeding and breach of the peace, you'd go off like a bottle rocket. You wuldn't come back to earth until long after your head exploded.

In one respect you have quite a lot in common with a disproportionate number of leftists. The letter, form, constitutionality and morality of laws seems to be entirely secondary in your mind to whether you can use them to jack with people who irk you.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-18-2018 at 07:10 PM.

The definitions you cited said nothing at all about operating motor vehicles.

You aren't interested in the rule of law or the principles upon which they may be based. You just want to apply the laws to those who piss you off.

If a cop pulled you over and cited you for both speeding and breach of the peace, you'd go off like a bottle rocket. You wuldn't come back to earth until long after your head exploded.
    That would be double jeopardy, speeding is a breach of the peace, the definition is broad enough it doesn't need to mention motor vehicles:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...%20the%20peace
    Definition of breach of the peace

: a charge of making a lot of noise or behaving violently in public : disorderly conduct

breach of the peace

More at Wordnik

Breach of the Peace

A comprehensive term encompassing acts or conduct that seriously endanger or disturb public peace and order.
    A breach of the peace was a common-law offense, but is presently governed by statute in many states. It is frequently defined as constituting a form of Disorderly Conduct. Examples include using abusive or obscene language in a public place, resisting a lawful arrest, and trespassing or damaging property when accompanied by violence.
    Statutes commonly require that conduct constituting a breach of the peace must be clearly a type of misbehavior resulting in public unrest or disturbance. As an example, a prostitute who solicited men walking by on a public street from her window was found guilty of breaching the peace, but a man who raised his voice to a police officer while the officer was issuing a ticket to him was not guilty of the same offense.
    A breach of the peace is synonymous with a disturbance of the peace. Jurisdictions that do not have a specific statutory provision for the offense may punish it as a form of disorderly conduct. The usual penalty imposed is either a fine, imprisonment, or both.

More at: https://legal-dictionary.thefreedict...h+of+the+peace

A violation of the public tranquillity and order. The offense of breaking or disturbing the public peace by any riotous, forcible, or unlawful proceeding. 4 Bl. Comm. 142. ct scq.; People v. Bartz, 53 Mich. 493, 19 X. W. 161; State v. White, 18 R. I. 473, 28 Atl. 968; People v. Wallace. 85 App. Div. 170, 83 N. Y. Supp. 130; Scougale v. Sweet, 124 Mich. 311, 82 N. W. 1061. A constructive breach of the peace is an unlawful act which, though wanting the elements of actual violence or injury to any person, is yet inconsistent with the peaceable and orderly conduct of society. Various kinds of misdemeanors are included in this general designation, such as sending challenges to fight, going armed in public without lawful reason and in a threatening manner, etc. An apprehended breach of the peace is caused by the conduct of a man who threatens another with violence or physical injury, or who goes about in public with dangerous and unusual weapons in a threatening or alarming manner, or who publishes an aggravated libel upon another, etc.

More at: https://thelawdictionary.org/breach-of-the-peace/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

An interesting side note:

A couple of years ago, Montana did an experiment and did away with speed limits.

The consequence?

The accident & death rates went DOWN.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    An interesting side note:

A couple of years ago, Montana did an experiment and did away with speed limits.

The consequence?

The accident & death rates went DOWN.
    Yeah, it's all about revenue.
    At least here in Virginia.

Distracted drivers are what cause accidents.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That would be double jeopardy...
    Double jeopardy? Did you double check that with Alex Trebek?

You are the most reliable source of a laugh that I know. If you could make people laugh on purpose the way you can by accident, you'd make people forget Robin Williams.

You appear to have such conviction, and yet you spew such bull$#@!. And upon having your bull exposed, you spin at such length and with such dogged determination. I sure hope this is an act. I am, in fact, so convinced this is an act and pure trollery that I feel no need to tell you what you are if it isn't.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-18-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Breaching the peace has a victim of some sort. A neighbor disturbed or a business interrupted (some sort of economic disruption, really). Speeding itself does neither. Speeding is merely a violation of the Driver's License contract.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Breaching the peace has a victim of some sort. A neighbor disturbed or a business interrupted (some sort of economic disruption, really). Speeding itself does neither. Speeding is merely a violation of the Driver's License contract.
    They claim that every other driver on the road is endangered and disturbed and every pedestrian on the side of the road as well, it is a breach of the peace according to the law.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They claim that every other driver on the road is endangered and disturbed and every pedestrian on the side of the road as well, it is a breach of the peace according to the law.
    They are supposed victims, perhaps even imaginary victims, not actual victims. If what you say holds true then why does a cop cite someone going 120mph when there are no other cars or pedestrians around? What peace is being breached then?

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

They are supposed victims, perhaps even imaginary victims, not actual victims. If what you say holds true then why does a cop cite someone going 120mph when there are no other cars or pedestrians around? What peace is being breached then?
    The state's. (I know that is nonsense but that is what the theory is)
    I'm not trying to defend speeding tickets, they shouldn't exist, but as long as they do exist the legislator should have gotten one.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The state's. (I know that is nonsense but that is what the theory is)
    I'm not trying to defend speeding tickets, they shouldn't exist, but as long as they do exist the legislator should have gotten one.
    Nope, again, it is because it is a contract violation, nothing more. The legislator and the cop both know this so it's pointless for the cop to try to cite the legislator. The legislator knows how to get it disposed of and both are on the "same team". Do you admit that to be true?

Nope, again, it is because it is a contract violation, nothing more. The legislator and the cop both know this so it's pointless for the cop to try to cite the legislator. The legislator knows how to get it disposed of and both are on the "same team". Do you admit that to be true?
    I admit that the legislator is corrupt and powerful and that the kop doesn't want to risk his career by angering him with a ticket when there is a good chance that a judge will accept the legislator's claim of immunity.

The law is often ignored in favor of the powerful especially if there is the slightest excuse to do so.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I admit that the legislator is corrupt and powerful and that the kop doesn't want to risk his career by angering him with a ticket when there is a good chance that a judge will accept the legislator's claim of immunity.

The law is often ignored in favor of the powerful especially if there is the slightest excuse to do so.
    Or maybe the immunity clause is there because the legislators know how to nullify any citation/arrest for mere contractual violations and the immunity clause saves everyone involved a lot of embarrassment, time and money.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12