Thread: Chicago considering UBI payments

Exclamation Chicago considering UBI payments

CHICAGO MAY BECOME LARGEST CITY IN U.S. TO TRY UNIVERSAL BASIC INCOME

https://theintercept.com/2018/07/16/...ic-income-ubi/

Zaid Jilani

July 16 2018, 12:00 p.m.

CHICAGO ALDERMAN AMEYA PAWAR is worried about the future.

He is concerned that a coming wave of automation could put millions of people out of work and result in more extreme politics.

Pointing to investments in autonomous vehicles by companies like Tesla, Amazon, and Uber, Pawar observed that long-haul trucking jobs, historically a source of middle-class employment, may become obsolete. More people out of work means more political polarization, says Pawar.”We have to start talking about race and class and geography, but also start talking about the future of work as it relates to automation. All of this stuff is intertwined.”

Before leaving the race after being outspent by two billionaire candidates, Pawar campaigned for the Illinois Democratic Party’s nomination for governor. One of the themes of his candidacy was that politicians were scapegoating various racial or ethnic groups for their constituents’ material problems.

“You know, the British pit Hindus and Muslims against one another,” Pawar told The Intercept at the time, drawing on his Indian-American heritage. “Pit people against one another based on class and geography, caste … this is no different. Chicago versus downstate. Downstate versus Chicago. Black, white, brown against one another. All poor people fighting over scraps.”

Pawar now believes that a wave of mass automation will only compound this problem.

“From a race and class perspective, just know that 66 percent of long-haul truck drivers are middle-aged white men,” he observed. “So if you put them out of work without any investment in new jobs or in a social support system so that they transition from their job to another job, these race and class and geographical divides are going to grow.”

Pawar thinks that one way to battle racial resentment is to address the economic precarity that politicians have used to stoke it. He has decided to endorse the universal basic income — an idea that has been picking up steam across the world.

More at link...
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Obama endorses the idea

This is the Brave New World the technocrats and futurists and leftists and progressives want for you and your children:

Your individuality, kith and kin reduced to a nameless, faceless blob in a sea of polyglot humanity, unrecognizable, unknowable, with no connection to future or past or to yourself, existing soley at the whim of government handouts of New Credits, living in a "green" stack-a-prole box in a massive concrete jungle, all working and thinking and doing and achieving and creating being done by computers, AI and the elite class, while you mindlessly consume your way to narrowly defined, government approved "happiness" on an endless hamster wheel of debt, fees and usury until you die and your body gets "recycled" into Soylent Green.

The future is fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This is the Brave New World the technocrats and futurists and leftists and progressives want for you and your children:

Your individuality, kith and kin reduced to a nameless, faceless blob in a sea of polyglot humanity, unrecognizable, unknowable, with no connection to future or past or to yourself, existing soley at the whim of government handouts of New Credits, living in a "green" stack-a-prole box in a massive concrete jungle, all working and thinking and doing and achieving and creating being done by computers, AI and the elite class, while you mindlessly consume your way to narrowly defined, government approved "happiness" on an endless hamster wheel of debt, fees and usury until you die and your body gets "recycled" into Soylent Green.

The future is fail.
    It will fail before it takes over.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Well, I'm a Truck Driver so I suppose my career is in danger. On the other hand, I really don't even like truck driving. I mean it is sort of cool to drive a semi-truck, but the long hours and life on the road sucks.

I sometimes wonder if there is another way to achieve handing things over to the Robots than I can just chill out at home. Suppose there was a way that I could lease purchase my own Robot Truck that does my job for me? My income is from companies using that truck to make deliveries. Of course, some would go to maintenance.

Or what if the Robot Truck workforce was a public company and a program was arranged to allow the human drivers first access to purchase Stock and ownership of the robot workforce? Then they get to stay home collecting Dividends? Maybe do something similar with emerging Drone package delivery companies?