Thread: San Francisco Department of Elections issues voter registration forms for non-citizens

San Francisco Department of Elections issues voter registration forms for non-citizens

http://abc7news.com/politics/sf-depa...izens/3773817/

July 16, 2018

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Monday the Department of Elections Issued Voter Registration Forms for non-citizens who are eligible to vote for members of the San Francisco Board of Education in the November 6th 2018 election. The measure passed in 2016 with a close vote of 54 percent to 46 percent following two failed previous attempts.

San Francisco is the first city in the state to allow non-citizens to vote in local elections.

"As a parent myself and a former member of the SF Board of Education it is critical that the voices of all parents are at the table particularly those that have historically been denied a voice in the process," said Supervisor Sandra Lee Fewer who represents District 1.

"We want to give immigrants the right to vote," said Supervisor Norman Yee who represents District 7.

This November will be the first election in which non-citizens can register to vote.

"Third time was a charm," said San Francisco School Board member Matt Haney.

School Board member Matt Haney was the co-author of the resolution endorsing the measure. He says the school board was in full support of it.

"I think it's critical that all of our families have a voice in the governance of our schools," said Haney.

Not everyone agrees. Harmeet Dhillon is the Republican National Committeewoman from California. She says she voted against the measure in 2016.

"The reason I voted against it is that I think the right to vote is something that goes along with citizenship and should be," said Dhillon.

Dhillon says the school board is already obligated to look out for the interests of all children in the system.

"I don't think that people who have otherwise tenuous ties to San Francisco given their lack of legal residence should be making long term decisions about that structure and process," said Dhillon.

Prospective voters can request a non-citizen voter registration form in-person at the Department of Elections, online or by phone. The deadline to register is October 22nd. Those who miss the deadline can visit the City Hall Voting Center to register and vote under conditional voter registration.

To be able to register to vote in the Board of Education election, non-citizens must be residents of San Francisco, at least 18 years old on election day and parents, legal guardians or caregivers of children under the age of 19 who also reside in San Francisco.

Non-citizen voting will be available at every Board of Education election until November 2022. It will expire then unless the Board of Supervisors adopts an ordinance allowing it to continue.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    CALEctomy.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

All these non-citizen/illegal aliens “Right” to vote schemes, yet Americans in Puerto Rico can’t even vote for the President.

Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    All these non-citizen/illegal aliens “Right” to vote schemes, yet Americans in Puerto Rico can’t even vote for the President.
    Puerto Rico is an odd case. They can vote in the primaries, but not in the big election. If they live on the Island, they can't vote for President but if they move to one of the states they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Puerto Rico is an odd case. They can vote in the primaries, but not in the big election. If they live on the Island, they can't vote for President but if they move to one of the states they can.
    PR needs to be cut loose as an independent country, their current status is bizarre and we don't want them as a state.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

#NOTamerica
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    CALEctomy.
    CAL 3 has been taken off the ballot.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...s-13085880.php

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    CAL 3 has been taken off the ballot.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...s-13085880.php
    Good, we don't want 5 or 6 Dem Senators instead of 2.
    We want CALExit and keep the red counties as 1 state or some split that would add 2 Republicans.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

PR needs to be cut loose as an independent country, their current status is bizarre and we don't want them as a state.
    Geez. Who is this “we”?

Geez. Who is this “we”?
    Any American who doesn't want Demoncrats to have 2 more senators and more House seats and EC votes.

In other words, any American that values liberty.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Any American who doesn't want Demoncrats to have 2 more senators and more House seats and EC votes.

In other words, any American that values liberty.
    But I’m an American who values liberty too. I’m an American from Puerto Rico. The current non-voting rep from PR is a Republican. The governor from 2009 to 2013 was a Republican.

But I’m an American who values liberty too. I’m an American from Puerto Rico. The current non-voting rep from PR is a Republican. The governor from 2009 to 2013 was a Republican.
    I'm open to being wrong, I'd be willing to consider PR for statehood if we expel one or more solid blue states at the same time, that way we are trading an unknown for a known bad.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm open to being wrong, I'd be willing to consider PR for statehood if we expel one or more solid blue states at the same time, that way we are trading an unknown for a known bad.

If we exchange Cali for PR it will be less electoral votes even with the 2 senators.

If we exchange Cali for PR it will be less electoral votes even with the 2 senators.
    And if we kept the red counties we would gain electoral votes and 2 Senators.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I am good with that.
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment