Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand may vote against Kavanaugh

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Rand may vote against Kavanaugh

Breaking with many Republican colleagues, the Kentucky senator Rand Paul has revealed his concern over Donald Trump’s nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to replace Anthony Kennedy on the supreme court.

Paul told Fox and Friends on Sunday he was worried Kavanaugh, a judge on the DC circuit court of appeals, could cancel out supreme court justice Neil Gorsuch’s vote on fourth-amendment cases and allow the federal government to collect the phone records of millions of Americans.

Kavanaugh’s confirmation rests on a knife edge. Republicans hold a 51-49 advantage in the Senate. They need a simple majority or a tie broken by Vice-President Mike Pence to confirm Kavanaugh as Trump’s second supreme court pic, after Gorsuch.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ick/ar-AAA738x
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are Dems that will vote for him
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    There are also at least two more liberal Swampublicans that may vote against, the left is also looking to "Bork" him so that Trump will withdraw the nomination.

I wish them luck, it will turn SCOTUS into a get out the vote issue for the mid terms and give us another shot at someone better like Lee.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Does Trump really want him to be confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I would say yes he does. What that means is anyone's guess.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I say... no.

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    I say... no.

Or... Who knows!
    Yep. Zombie thread
    bump from an ancient
    Tyme, indeedy. Has
    RAND gone DJT?

loveshiscountry

I don't think he'll vote against him unless Kavanaugh flounders horribly. He'll ask some questions and expose Kavanaughs weaknesses.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope he does, he sucks on most everything but the second as far as I can tell and I don't need a judge for help there.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I hope he does, he sucks on most everything but the second as far as I can tell and I don't need a judge for help there.
    His position on the 2ndA is less than perfect as well, there are worse judges but that is all that can be said for him.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    What a crock of $#@!. Everyone here knows damn well that Rand will make some hay, have a few news conferences to frame the appearance of a possible 'no vote', but he would not buck Trump's pick.

Sorry, but Rand just doesn't have the balls to vote No on Kavanaugh.....
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    What a crock of $#@!. Everyone here knows damn well that Rand will make some hay, have a few news conferences to frame the appearance of a possible 'no vote', but he would not buck Trump's pick.

^^^I'm gonna go with this. ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    ^^^I'm gonna go with this. ^^^
    Depends if they "need" his vote. If it's a lock with dems going his way, it might free Rand up to vote "No". Otherwise, I totally agree. If they need Rand to confirm, he will confirm.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post

I don't see anything wrong that. It isn't a matter of balls. Last time I checked Rand didn't win the election. Disagreeing with someone on a small issue that is debated even among libertarians is not a reason to vote against.

I would vote to confirm Kavanaugh if I were in the Senate. Period. The only thing Rand is doing wrong is acting like his vote is in doubt. It does get on Sunday shows to talk against the issues so maybe isn't so terrible.

I wish Rand would stop doing this. I don't see how it helps his own credibility. Either say you'll confirm him or you won't--it's not like you're going to learn much more just from talking to him.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    I wish Rand would stop doing this. I don't see how it helps his own credibility. Either say you'll confirm him or you won't--it's not like you're going to learn much more just from talking to him.
    Exactly.

It was stuff like the Pompeo nomination which is why he had nearly 0% support in 2016
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...d-on-kavanaugh

Rand Paul: 'I am honestly undecided’ on Kavanaugh

This is getting old.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Rand knows way more than you two, why don't you just sit back and watch the master..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

How much you want to bet Rand and Trump discuss Kavanaugh while Rand is there talking about cutting off Brennan's security clearance. He's built up enough good will to side step when he needs to.

He did vote against Comey and Brennan and he was right to do so.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    But muh Randflops!!!

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ore/rand-paul/
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    How much you want to bet Rand and Trump discuss Kavanaugh while Rand is there talking about cutting off Brennan's security clearance. He's built up enough good will to side step when he needs to.

Yes but most recently he caved and voted for Pompeo

President Donald Trump on Monday expressed his appreciation to Sen. Rand Paul for his promise to support the confirmation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

“Thank you to @RandPaul for your YES on a future great Justice of the Supreme Court, Brett Kavanaugh,” Trump wrote in a Monday evening tweet. “Your vote means a lot to me, and to everyone who loves our Country!” (RELATED: RAND’S REVEAL: PAUL JUST ANNOUNCED HIS DECISION ON THE KAVANAUGH CONFIRMATION)
    Thank you to @RandPaul for your YES on a future great Justice of the Supreme Court, Brett Kavanaugh. Your vote means a lot to me, and to everyone who loves our Country!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 30, 2018

More at: http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/30/tr...naugh-support/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yep, Rand sold out once again

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

No, he didn't.
    Yes, I'm still fighting you on this.

What does this mean?

Did he sell out for a sex prostitute? Did he sell out for personal financial gain?

Or did he gain political capital that he can and will use to further the cause of liberty? If he had voted "No", would it have changed any political outcome? On the other hand, will his "Yes" vote help get something passed along the lines of health care associations across state lines and elimination of the individual mandate?

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Or did he gain political capital that he can and will use to further the cause of liberty? If he had voted "No", would it have changed any political outcome? On the other hand, will his "Yes" vote help get something passed along the lines of health care associations across state lines and elimination of the individual mandate?
    No such thing as political "capital".... see above post.

No such thing as political "capital".... see above post.
    Sure it does - it's never guaranteed, but it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Sure it does - it's never guaranteed, but it exists.
    Only in the minds of political amateurs

Unless his vote makes the difference in Kavanaugh's confirmation then keeping Trump's ear is much more valuable than making a protest vote, if that is "selling out" then I say it is a good deal.

There is room in politics for tacticians as well as martyrs.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast