Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My True Calling

On Poshmark they suggest you package your items with some care and write a Thank You. Here's how I packaged my sale vvv. I used a leftover tablecloth from my 4th party (1$ tree), some twine off a big ass roll I have on hand, and a leftover Christmas card (When I buy cards, which is rare, I buy blanks so I can use them for other things) with a Thank You sticker I got for free. Mr A orders St Pats party favors from Oriental Trading and they sent him a gift card and then I got a coupon so I used those together and bought a $#@! ton of Thank You stickers. Trying to keep my overhead low.

Looks pretty good.

I also set my goals for the week. Here's a pic from my binder. I thrifted the binder years ago and I love that thing. I have to write everything down or I don't stay focused and nothing gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LoL...Get "thingy" for phone.

Looks very nice though...I'm sure the buyer will be pleased.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    LoL...Get "thingy" for phone.

Looks very nice though...I'm sure the buyer will be pleased.
    Oh, that's a thingy that you can plug into an iphone and take the photos off and transfer them to my computer.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I woke up this morning to another sale. Yay! The girl didn't even try to bargain with me. She straight up paid my asking price. My asking price was very reasonable but I would've gone down a few bucks. Nine sales to go!!! I'm not counting the first sale because that happened last weekend. I count the new week starting Monday.

I've made a little headway on my list for the week. Last night I managed to source two plus sized items - a beautiful red wool coat with a fur trimmed hood (reminded me of little red riding hood) and a nice bodysuit blouse (I love those things - your shirt stays neatly tucked). It's hard to find nice plus sized clothes second hand. I paid 2.25 for each item. They both look brand new. The coat is really cool because the hood is removable and you really get two totally different looks from the same coat. I would keep it if it fit me.

I also found a fancy top. It wasn't plus sized but it was new with tags and retailed for 128.00. I thought it was worth a 2.25 gamble. My son was with me and tried to help but he has really bad taste in womens clothes. He was picking up hooker clothes. o_O He did find himself a new pair of Converse and a funky tie with a toaster on it. I still want to find 8 more Plus Sized items. I think I'll get it done Saturday. I'm riding intown with Mr A because he's cutting out early and taking me to an Atlanta United soccer game. I'll be near a few really good thrift stores and plan on doing some sourcing whilst he's getting his work done.

I called our accountant and he said he would take me to lunch next week and discuss My True Calling. I suggested Pappadeaux but I couldn't get him to commit to it. I told him I was flexible on the restaurant but he'd have to woo me if he wants the business for My True Calling. He laughed and told me not to worry he'd take me somewhere with a bar. He doesn't drink and he's cheap and uptight. I like to watch him try not to laugh at my nonsense.

I haven't put anything in my spreadsheet. That's gonna be a fiasco. I should probably get that done before my nerdy accountant lunch date.

I've been sharing my closet regularly and have lots of reshares and likes. Sharing is caring. I also have a ton of followers.

I overestimated my photography skills. I'm no where near having everything photographed. I'm going to have to lower my standards if I want to even come close to that goal.

Since I don't have everything photographed, I don't have everything put away. BUT I have put away everything I've photographed. I've been doing that as I go so I wouldn't grab the same thing twice. I plan on getting a lot of that done today and Sunday.

I haven't ordered the thingy for my phone. I need to talk to Mr A about the Staples Rewards Business program first. We got an e-mail saying if we joined it would only cost 49.00 for the first year and they would send us a 50.00 Staples Gift card. According to the program, you get 5 items at discounted Business pricing. Mr A is replacing a bunch of projectors in the bar and I was thinking I would choose the projectors as one of the items for discount pricing AND chose my phone thingy as another. We may save enough to make the membership worth it because he's planning on ordering 7 projectors at 299.99 each. I have to call Staples to see if we can choose anything for discount pricing or if we can only chose from a specific list or category and then I can present it to Mr A. He gets annoyed when I present him with a scheme and don't have all the information.

Start keeping a mileage log. I still do written, but you should ask you accountant it the IRS will accept it via an app.

You need to record the date, starting mileage, your destination, and the purpose. Also, if you buy at yard sales...the IRS will allow you to deduct cash purchases without a receipt (think yard sale) if you keep a detailed log. Write down the address, the date, a list of what you purchased, and the price you paid for each.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Start keeping a mileage log. I still do written, but you should ask you accountant it the IRS will accept it via an app.

You need to record the date, starting mileage, your destination, and the purpose. Also, if you buy at yard sales...the IRS will allow you to deduct cash purchases without a receipt (think yard sale) if you keep a detailed log. Write down the address, the date, a list of what you purchased, and the price you paid for each.
    Technically, I didn't start from my house. I made a few out of the way stops before that have nothing to do with My True Calling. How would I figure that up? For example, I took my son to the eye doctor to pick up his new glasses and then we passed the thrift store to grab a bite and then we went to the thrift store on the way home. I'm fairly certain the errands added about 10 miles to the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Technically, I didn't start from my house. I made a few out of the way stops before that have nothing to do with My True Calling. How would I figure that up? For example, I took my son to the eye doctor to pick up his new glasses and then we passed the thrift store to grab a bite and then we went to the thrift store on the way home. I'm fairly certain the errands added about 10 miles to the drive.
    If you get audited, the IRS will be interested in seeing how many miles are personal miles as well as deductible miles. If you're not doing your own taxes, just log it as it happens and let your accountant figure it out.

On the other hand, if you have to buy more tablecloths at the dollar store for the business, and you buy some other trinkets while you're there, get 2 receipts. Driving to pick up business supplies is just as deductible as scouting for inventory.

YAY! I just made another sale!! Pretty sweet one too. I profited 20.00 on that one item - after fees and cost of good. I'm not even sure I should consider cost of goods on that item because I wore it quite a bit. I do remember picking it up for 2.00 because it was a mega score.

Only 8 more to go to meet my goal this week.

btw, suz-when you get really good, you might want to look into a shopify store so you can own your traffic (no sharing with ebay and no fees ). https://www.shopify.com/ They have a free trial if yer interested. Since yer selling your own stuff, it would be especially good for you, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    btw, suz-when you get really good, you might want to look into a shopify store so you can own your traffic (no sharing with ebay and no fees ). https://www.shopify.com/ They have a free trial if yer interested. Since yer selling your own stuff, it would be especially good for you, IMO.
    I've thought about that but I don't mind paying the 20% since Poshmark handles the shipping and complaints. I don't want to deal with that $#@!.

I was on the Poshmark reddit page earlier and a woman made an interesting complaint about something I've been doing. When a sale goes through, I've been making a comment and tagging the person who bought the item. For example, I'll say, "Thanks! Your (insert item here) will ship this afternoon." I thought it was considerate to thank people and let them know when their item was shipping and no one's complained but this woman was saying it pisses her off when people tag her because she doesn't want people to know what she's bought. I would do it privately but there is no private message on Posh.

So, should I keep doing this? I don't want to piss people off. Or maybe I should just make a comment on the item without tagging the person. If they go to the item page they'll see the comment but they won't get notified.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've thought about that but I don't mind paying the 20% since Poshmark handles the shipping and complaints. I don't want to deal with that $#@!.

I was on the Poshmark reddit page earlier and a woman made an interesting complaint about something I've been doing. When a sale goes through, I've been making a comment and tagging the person who bought the item. For example, I'll say, "Thanks! Your (insert item here) will ship this afternoon." I thought it was considerate to thank people and let them know when their item was shipping and no one's complained but this woman was saying it pisses her off when people tag her because she doesn't want people to know what she's bought. I would do it privately but there is no private message on Posh.

So, should I keep doing this? I don't want to piss people off. Or maybe I should just make a comment on the item without tagging the person. If they go to the item page they'll see the comment but they won't get notified.
    IDK how Poshmark works...but if it's like ebay it's sufficient to thank the buyer when you rate them 5 stars, IMO. It's also good to put a thank you note and perhaps a small thank you trinket in the package when you mail it.

ETA: Since Shopify offers a free trial, ya don't really have anything to lose in trying it out. Could definitely be worth it if you want to get traffic from google and other webbernet engines. (can't get that being on ebay, Posh, etc)
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 07-21-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I only got about half of my to-do list done last week and I only made three sales. Listening to youtubers and reading comments, that's actually pretty good for one week. It takes most people a few weeks to make their first sale. It's a good thing it didn't take me that long because I would've lost interest.

I'm going to partially blame Mr A, my youngest son, and the swampy weather for my poor progress this week.

This week is starting off pretty good, though. I just sold my old, used bikini. I have no business wearing a bikini anymore so I let it go. I have one item in someone's cart, too. I found that out when I was trying to lower the price and I got a notification that I couldn't because someone was trying to purchase the item. I hope she hurries up because I'm going to the post office in a bit and I'd like to drop it off.

I only got about half of my to-do list done last week and I only made three sales. Listening to youtubers and reading comments, that's actually pretty good for one week. It takes most people a few weeks to make their first sale. It's a good thing it didn't take me that long because I would've lost interest.

I'm going to partially blame Mr A, my youngest son, and the swampy weather for my poor progress this week.

This week is starting off pretty good, though. I just sold my old, used bikini. I have no business wearing a bikini anymore so I let it go. I have one item in someone's cart, too. I found that out when I was trying to lower the price and I got a notification that I couldn't because someone was trying to purchase the item. I hope she hurries up because I'm going to the post office in a bit and I'd like to drop it off.
    Well, even super-sellers probably have slumps, so don't feel bad. You seem to know about your product, so you should be fine. Just keep learning moar about how to drive traffic to your store. Maybe consider a shopify store or webbernet site when things pick up.

Ahem...I’m a bookkeeper. If you open a store and need help let me know. There are new sales tax nexus rules to consider if you end up going with Shopify, etc.

I sold a bunch of stuff on ebay last year but they changed the format so I stopped.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 07-23-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Ahem...I’m a bookkeeper. If you open a store and need help let me know. There are new sales tax nexus rules to consider if you end up going with Shopify, etc.

I sold a bunch of stuff on ebay last year but they changed the format so I stopped.
    Hey, that's awesome! I may need your help later this year. I'm going to be getting a TESL certificate and begin teaching English to kids online within a few months. I'll pm ya if need comes up. ~hugs~

Hey, that's awesome! I may need your help later this year. I'm going to be getting a TESL certificate and begin teaching English to kids online within a few months. I'll pm ya if need comes up. ~hugs~
    Sounds good..keep your receipts. You can take a pic of them to electronically file. Track anything you’ve spent so far including your internet bills. You could begin with an Excel spreadsheet to track income and expenses to start out then see if you need something more comprehensive later. I have one that can be customized to your needs.

Well, this week is starting off pretty good. I've already had two sales and there's someone creating a big bundle as we speak. I hope she buys before I go to the post office.

Of the orders that have been received, I've gotten five star ratings (the highest) and love notes from the buyers. Yay!

My goal today is to get 50 items listed. The listing process is going slower than I thought. One thing this project has taught me is that I'm a really $#@!ty photographer. I need to borrow my sons' phone mount for the tripod or cut back on the caffeine because I have shaky hands.

My True Calling is picking up. So far today I've made almost 100.00 off a couple of sales.(after fees and cost of goods) Yay!!! I'm a little nervous about one sale for 65.00. The buyer just joined the app and has no info filled out on her profile. I can cancel the sale but I really want the .

I'm bummed I didn't order the phone thingy when I meant to. Now the storage on my phone is full and I can't list anymore today. I have a broke ass iphone 5c 8 gig. I guess I need to delete some pics of my kids, lol.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You can’t store the pix on your computer hard drive?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    You can’t store the pix on your computer hard drive?
    I should probably learn how to do that. I want to be able to keep my personal photos separate from my listing photos and I'm sure I can create different folders but I'm not good with technology. I was thinking I could just load all the listing photos only onto the usb and that way I could keep them separate.

I've already made two sales this AM!!! YAY!!! I noticed a huge increase in traffic since I got a hundred listings up. I've also been sharing like crazy.

Hey, Suz, I do handmade greeting cards and gift tags. If you think that is something you would be interested in, let me know. I could put together some samples.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Sounds good..keep your receipts. You can take a pic of them to electronically file. Track anything you’ve spent so far including your internet bills. You could begin with an Excel spreadsheet to track income and expenses to start out then see if you need something more comprehensive later. I have one that can be customized to your needs.
    Query: should I keep my grocery receipts or is it enough to keep the C card bills?

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Hey, Suz, I do handmade greeting cards and gift tags. If you think that is something you would be interested in, let me know. I could put together some samples.
    I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm actually thinking about getting someone to design something that can just be printed and I can just sign - or better yet, even have my siggy printed. I ended up having 7 orders today and on the way to the PO to mail them, I got 2 more for 9 total today. My True Calling seems to be taking off. Yay!

I've noticed most of my orders are going to CA. I wonder why that is. Are things just that much more in CA that it's cheaper to buy used? Also, the postal lady gave me $#@! because I had duck taped my boxes. It was white tape so it didn't look bad but she said I had to use clear from now on. Whatever...I'm gonna finish this roll of duck tape and just drop them in the box so I don't catch $#@!.

After the PO, I went sourcing. I found a cute as hell Plus sized shirt. It's chambray with a silver sequined collar. Not a brand I know BUT I pick for style over brand. I also found a Donald Trump tie new with tags. I paid 2.25 and it sold at Macy's for 60.00. My son said he might want it but he changed his mind when he saw that it wasn't a red MAGA tie. He doesn't care about Donald Trump but he wants a MAGA tie to wear to his cousins wedding in October to be a troll because they are all big Dems. That's Mr A's side of the family. My folk prefer to remain unaffiliated. I also found a brand new pair of Dankso clogs, a pair of jeweled mules (I have the exact same pair and I feel like a gypsy when I wear them), several leather belts, and a gorgeous denim trench coat I might keep for myself. Each item was 2.25. I found a few other things to resell but those were the highlights. I can easily clear a minimum of 10.00 per item on everything I got - probably more. Definitely more on the clogs. Those ugly ass things are expensive. I linked the exact ones I found.

No sales yet but it's still early for my customers. Since most of my orders seem to be coming from the west coast for some reason, I'm shifting my work schedule to latter in the evening when the West Coast folks are home.

Also, the postal lady gave me $#@! because I had duck taped my boxes. It was white tape so it didn't look bad but she said I had to use clear from now on. Whatever...I'm gonna finish this roll of duck tape and just drop them in the box so I don't catch $#@!.
    Pro tip...this morning I had to ship out some orders and I decided I would just use the Priority Mail tape laying on the counter at the post office so didn't catch $#@! about my duck tape. I start chatting up the lady and asked about the tape and she gave me a whole roll of tape and told me I could order it for free on the web. So, there ya go. Free government packing tape.

Pro tip...this morning I had to ship out some orders and I decided I would just use the Priority Mail tape laying on the counter at the post office so didn't catch $#@! about my duck tape. I start chatting up the lady and asked about the tape and she gave me a whole roll of tape and told me I could order it for free on the web. So, there ya go. Free government packing tape.
    She's mistaken. You cannot order it via the web. You have to order it over the phone, and tell them you ship your own plain boxes via Priority.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Query: should I keep my grocery receipts or is it enough to keep the C card bills?
    CC bills aren't itemized enough.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    She's mistaken. You cannot order it via the web. You have to order it over the phone, and tell them you ship your own plain boxes via Priority.
    She gave me the item #106. She orders it for our post office and told me they can only order 25 rolls a month but she wasn't sure how many I could order. I ordered 3.

https://store.usps.com/store/product...el-P_LABEL_106

From now on, all gifts in my house are going to be in priority mail boxes with pm tape, lol.
    Last edited by Suzanimal; 07-27-2018 at 03:21 PM.

I made a sale sittin' here goofin' off with you jokers.

I'm not gonna lie. I've been busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest the past week and I pretty much slacked off all day. I've done a bit of sharing and steamed some inventory (muh friggin iron $#@! the bed) but I had a doctors appt this morning and those places exhaust me - not physically but mentally. UGH. I've got another one next week and then another the next week and then a dental cleaning but hopefully after all that, I'll be done with doctors for awhile.

She gave me the item #106. She orders it for our post office and told me they can only order 25 rolls a month but she wasn't sure how many I could order. I ordered 3.

https://store.usps.com/store/product...el-P_LABEL_106

From now on, all gifts in my house are going to be in priority mail boxes with pm tape, lol.
    Those are labels, not tape. Tape is 106A.
    Last edited by angelatc; 07-27-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast