Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Reagan the worst President in US history?

Was Reagan the worst President in US history?

Considering that of all US Presidents in history Reagan was the biggest supporter/funder of violent extremist Islamist Jihadis and that 9/11 & resulting Iraqi/Afghan Freedom wars cost America trillions of dollars and injury/death of millions of Americans.

He even dedicated Space Shuttle launch to honor violent Islamist Jihadi militants. Al Qaeda was birthed in sanctury of same Jihadi militants. Even to this day, America is still engaged in its longest war in history fighting the very militants Reagan armed/funded.
    Just this week, two US troops were killed in Afghanistan. Many more have died/lost limbs in past 17 years .

Related

Iraq/Afghanistan wars disabled 624,000 US troops , Divorces up 42%, Foreclosures up 217%

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Hard to beat FDR when the subject is ‘worst President ‘

Reconquista Republican - Amnesty for millions of illegal aliens, NWO co-founder

And then there was the Reagan(R) Amnesty which resulted in millions of illegal aliens, and their families back home coming here too, and becoming US citizens.

Ike Eisenhower's 1954 Operation Wetback deported tens of thousands of illegal aliens, and many more self deported when they realized that they could be next. About a million or so illegal aliens left the USA as a result of just enforcing the rule of law. That's what presidents are supposed to do as chief executive. It's been so long since we had a law abiding president that people forget that. The kids nowadays were never taught that in publik skoolz.

Reagan accepted George Herbert Walker Bush as his VP, and along with that came The New World Order, globalism, and open borders.

President George W. Bush(R), 2004 reelection campaign. His amnesty bill failed but his terrorism funding and recruitment were very successful. Millions of terrorist "political refugees" continue to be welcomed with open arms by the US gov.

Ron Paul warned us about blowback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJeff View Post
    Hard to beat FDR when the subject is ‘worst President ‘
    ^^^THIS^^^

Wilson is another contender that leaves Reagan in the dust.
    Also Lincoln.
    And LBJ.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post

Considering that of all US Presidents in history Reagan was the biggest supporter/funder of violent extremist Islamist Jihadis and that 9/11 & resulting Iraqi/Afghan Freedom wars cost America trillions of dollars and injury/death of millions of Americans.

He even dedicated Space Shuttle launch to honor violent Islamist Jihadi militants. Al Qaeda was birthed in sanctury of same Jihadi militants. Even to this day, America is still engaged in its longest war history fighting the very militants Reagan armed/funded.
    Just this week, two US troops were killed in Afghanistan. Many more have died/lost limbs in past 17 years .
    Nope Reagan was not, however he had the worst Veep. Osama Bin Laden was a CIA asset and Reagan's Veep was a former CIA Chief. I believe Reagan was trying to make a difference and when he was making that difference, he was nearly assassinated by a Bush Family friend's son. If he didn't toe-the-line the next attempt would be fatal--IMHO.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Nope Reagan was not, however he had the worst Veep. Osama Bin Laden was a CIA asset and Reagan's Veep was a former CIA Chief. I believe Reagan was trying to make a difference and when he was making that difference, he was nearly assassinated by a Bush Family friend's son. If he didn't toe-the-line the next attempt would be fatal--IMHO.
    The same thing would have happened if Trump had picked Jeb for VP.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The same thing would have happened if Trump had picked Jeb for VP.
    That's why I think Trump has been paying attention for a long time. He hit Jeb coming out of the gate.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post

He even dedicated Space Shuttle launch to honor violent Islamist Jihadi militants. Al Qaeda was birthed in sanctury of same Jihadi militants. Even to this day, America is still engaged in its longest war history fighting the very militants Reagan armed/funded.
    Read up on Brzezinski/Carter first.

^^^THIS^^^

Wilson is another contender that leaves Reagan in the dust.
    Also Lincoln.
    And LBJ.
    This list of worst presidents is getting rather long. Ha!

9/11 was an inside job
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

No, but his administration did fully transform American conservatism into a form of neoliberal cosmopolitanism. Definitely one of the most overrated presidents in US history.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    No, but his administration did fully transform American conservatism into a form of neoliberal cosmopolitanism. Definitely one of the most overrated presidents in US history.
    So you are saying conservatism was better when Gerald Ford, Richard Nixon, Rockefeller, Ike, etc were the standard bearers? I'll take Goldwater/Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    So you are saying conservatism was better when Gerald Ford, Richard Nixon, Rockefeller, Ike, etc were the standard bearers? I'll take Goldwater/Reagan.
    None of those guys were conservatives.

Ronald Reagan was not a good President but the worst? Come on
    Reagan is 10 times better than Presidents like George W Bush,Bill Clinton,Barack Obama & Donald Trump

We could "No True Scotsman" this thing to death, or we could collectively come to the realization that if none of those guys were conservatives, then there is functionally no such thing as conservatism.

If we're supporting political fairies and unicorns, I'm always going to side with the unicorn of "no state at all", because I can point to historical examples of that actually existing... in direct contrast to the myth of the "conservative government".

It's a tough pill to swallow, but what we have, right now, in the USA, is minarchy.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think of Reagan Era as the first Bush era...

and another Republican disappointment.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

And I'm a Conservative Hippy.

Ron represented me,,, the rest, not so much.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    We could "No True Scotsman" this thing to death, or we could collectively come to the realization that if none of those guys were conservatives, then there is functionally no such thing as conservatism.

If we're supporting political fairies and unicorns, I'm always going to side with the unicorn of "no state at all", because I can point to historical examples of that actually existing... in direct contrast to the myth of the "conservative government".

It's a tough pill to swallow, but what we have, right now, in the USA, is minarchy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I think of Reagan Era as the first Bush era...

and another Republican disappointment.
    After the assassination attempt it was, that is why Bush Sr. didn't even try to beat Clinton in 92, he had had his two terms and an extra one to make him an offcial president in the history books.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

After the assassination attempt it was, that is why Bush Sr. didn't even try to beat Clinton in 92, he had had his two terms and an extra one to make him an offcial president in the history books.
    Clinton continued the agenda.. Team Work.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Clinton continued the agenda.. Team Work.
    Clinton was a continuation of Reagan but in some ways better. He was nothing like Bush. He implemented NAFTA. Cut the capital gains rate. Encouraged saving with the development of Roth IRAs. Signed welfare reform into law. Had a regulatory freeze while he was in office. He did plenty of bad things especially his first two years but on balance did a pretty good job.

I think it laughable how people dump on Reagan. He was certainly the best modern President and arguably the best President in US history. He ended a lot of the bad Carter policies which discouraged oil production that lead to the gas shortages. He took the political hit to beat inflation. Reagan had the worst economy since the Depression to beat inflation, which set up 20 years of prosperity. Reagan had a pretty good foreign policy and effective in bringing down Communism and reducing the nuclear threat of the USSR. He took the top tax rate from 80% down to 28%. He had a Democratic House so he couldn't do everything he wanted. It is easy to criticize things like the budget when you don't take any of the historical context into account. Reagan played as large of a role of anyone in ending union power. I could watch Reagan fire the air traffic controllers all day long.

I think Ron Paul is way better on philosophy. But as a President? I'll take Reagan over Ron and Rand and Amash. Reagan was a great negotiator, salesman, and leader. Every town should have at least one street named after Ronald Reagan. If I have kids, at least one will be named after Reagan in some way.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 08-23-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Trump said Ronald Reagan is his favorite president.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

We could "No True Scotsman" this thing to death,
    It's not a "no true Scotsman". It's a statement of fact. None of those people mentioned were considered conservatives, by contemporaries or by themselves. Rockefeller was very explicitly a moderate, running against the conservative wing of the GOP, led by Barry Goldwater. The only one who's even close is Eisenhower, but he was considered a pragmatic military man more than a conservative. I'm not talking about some platonic ideal of conservatism that they don't fit.

or we could collectively come to the realization that if none of those guys were conservatives, then there is functionally no such thing as conservatism.
    No, they weren't conservatives because they weren't conservatives. American conservatism as an explicit movement is relatively young, though they trace their tradition back to John Adams and John C. Calhoun. There is such a thing as a conservative. Russell Kirk, Pat Buchanan, Roger Scruton, Peter Hitchens. All conservatives.

If we're supporting political fairies and unicorns,
    That is not what we're doing.

I'm always going to side with the unicorn of "no state at all", because I can point to historical examples of that actually existing... in direct contrast to the myth of the "conservative government".
    The idea that statelessness is something historical, but conservatism is not is a bizarre and false claim.

An even more bizarre claim. You're full of 'em, it seems.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's not a "no true Scotsman". It's a statement of fact. None of those people mentioned were considered conservatives, by contemporaries or by themselves. Rockefeller was very explicitly a moderate, running against the conservative wing of the GOP, led by Barry Goldwater. The only one who's even close is Eisenhower, but he was considered a pragmatic military man more than a conservative. I'm not talking about some platonic ideal of conservatism that they don't fit.....
    There is such a thing as a conservative. Russell Kirk, Pat Buchanan, Roger Scruton, Peter Hitchens. All conservatives.
    And there is such a thing as anarchists: Lew Rockwell, Thomas Woods, David Friedman... The point I was making is that both conservatism and statelessness have an equivalent level of representation in our current government: none. Moreover, the public servants, both historical and current, who people tend to point to as "conservative" are impostors, even by your admission.
    If conservatism exists strictly in magazines and think tanks, then it doesn't exist at all.

The idea that statelessness is something historical, but conservatism is not is a bizarre and false claim.
    What conservative government can you point to? I'm not intending to be challenging: the main reason I abandoned it as a philosophy is because I literally couldn't find a single example of a genuinely conservative government. All I find is people who claimed to be conservative and then sold us a bill of goods.

An even more bizarre claim. You're full of 'em, it seems.
    We live in one of the few experiments in actually trying to put checks and balances on state power.
    Minarchy is what got written down as the compact.
    It's absolutely no different from when you throw the USSR in the face of communists and they say "but they did X which wasn't the original intent".
    They don't get to say it's going to work differently next time we try communism, and neither do you get to say minarchy is going to work differently next time.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

And there is such a thing as anarchists: Lew Rockwell, Thomas Woods, David Friedman...
    Yeah, I know. I used to be one too. I never said there was no such thing as anarchists. I probably know more about anarchism (not just anarcho-capitalism) than 99% of people on this site.

The point I was making is that both conservatism and statelessness have an equivalent level of representation in our current government: none. Moreover, the public servants, both historical and current, who people tend to point to as "conservative" are impostors, even by your admission.
    This may all be true, but it has far more to do with the nature of democracy, the march of leftism than it has to do with conservatism. Cthulhu swims left, as Moldbug would say. It's a feature, not a bug, of liberal democracy. I'd be happy as a clam, was I a leftist. Too bad for them, they're constantly enraged.

If conservatism exists strictly in magazines and think tanks, then it doesn't exist at all.
    It exists as the rear guard of progressivism. The conservatives of today are the progressives of 20 years ago. Society lurches left, the conservatives come in to "conserve" the previous piece of leftist "progress" that the new leftists now claim is reactionary and regressive.

What conservative government can you point to?
    The nature of liberal democracy makes that impossible to find under said system, at least for long periods of time. The US was relatively conservative in the 1920s and the 1950s. Examples of conservatism examples are Singapore, Spain under Franco, Chile under Pinochet, and Japan for most of its history until after World War II.

I'm not intending to be challenging: the main reason I abandoned it as a philosophy is because I literally couldn't find a single example of a genuinely conservative government. All I find is people who claimed to be conservative and then sold us a bill of goods.
    Again, democracy.

We live in one of the few experiments in actually trying to put checks and balances on state power.
    Minarchy is what got written down as the compact.
    No, it was at best an attempt to engineer minarchy. But the founders were wrong about statecraft. Dividing a government against itself doesn't keep its size in check, it incentivizes each part of the government to acquire more and more power for itself.

It's absolutely no different from when you throw the USSR in the face of communists and they say "but they did X which wasn't the original intent".
    It isn't, because I'm not saying we're going to get minarchy by voting for conservatives.

They don't get to say it's going to work differently next time we try communism, and neither do you get to say minarchy is going to work differently next time.
    I'm not saying that. I'm saying we need to rethink statecraft and re-engineer liberalism.

Decades later, violent extremism that Ronnie helped instigate is still costing lives and treasure.
    If future historians confirmed that showbiz trained actor turned politician Ronnie Reagan was indeed 'Founding Father of ISIS 1.0' in Afghansitan and responsible for millions of lives destroyned due to his policy of supporting/arming violent jihadi extremists and terrists, hopefully future war crimes prosecution won't go back to olden posthumous trials and justice methods.

Source is Forever Wars pushing lobbies' mouthpiece and fake Iraq yellow cake narrative manufacturer NYT, so exercise caution while consuming this news:

Violence May Delay U.S. Troop Withdrawal From Afghanistan

The Biden administration is reviewing a deal between its predecessor and the Taliban for a May 1 deadline to pull all American troops out of the country.

Jan 29, 2021

The Pentagon raised doubts on Thursday that the U.S. military would withdraw from Afghanistan by May 1 — the deadline set in a February 2020 agreement with the Taliban — after accusing the Taliban of failing to uphold its commitments under the deal.

We are still involved in trying to get a negotiated settlement. The Taliban have not met their commitments. As you know, there is a looming deadline of early May that is before everybody in terms of, you know, wanting to have a solution here, but without them meeting their commitments to renounce terrorism and to stop the violent attacks on the Afghan national security forces — and, you know, by dint of that, the Afghan people — it’s very hard to see a specific way forward for the negotiated settlement. But we’re still committed to that. So, we’re down to 2,500 right now. Both General Miller, the commander in Afghanistan, and of course, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, General Milley, have made it clear that they believe that that is a sufficient number to accomplish the mission, which is largely a counterterrorism mission right now. I would say this to the leaders of the Taliban: that it is going to be — they make it that much more difficult for final decisions to be made about force presence by their reticence to commit to reasonable, sustainable and credible negotiations at the table.

nytimes.com/2021/01/29/world/asia/afghanistan-withdrawal-ghani-biden.html

I'm pretty sure Wilson,LBJ, Obama, and Biden are all worst than Reagan.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 01-31-2021 at 07:49 PM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Biden saw this thread and said, "Hold my beer."

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Biden saw this thread and said, "Hold my beer."
    More like, "I forgot where I put my beer".

The problem with Reagan was the debt and spending. Others not keeping their word isn't as bad as your guy not keeping their word.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast