Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat Is Permanently Off the Company Menu

Exclamation Meat Is Permanently Off the Company Menu

Following the exact same trajectory that the anti-tobacco zealots followed.

Only a matter of time before the tree huggers and bunny cuddlers start pushing for bans backed up by a government gun.

WeWork Tells Employees Meat Is Permanently Off the Company Menu

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-company-menu

By Nate Lanxon

July 13, 2018, 11:14 AM EDT Updated on July 13, 2018, 12:22 PM EDT

Co-working giant WeWork Cos. thinks it can save the environment quicker than Elon Musk.

The startup has told its 6,000 global staff that they will no longer be able to expense meals including meat, and that it won’t pay for any red meat, poultry or pork at WeWork events. In an email to employees this week outlining the new policy, co-founder Miguel McKelvey said the firm’s upcoming internal "Summer Camp" retreat would offer no meat options for attendees.

"New research indicates that avoiding meat is one of the biggest things an individual can do to reduce their personal environmental impact," said McKelvey in the memo, "even more than switching to a hybrid car."

Individuals requiring "medical or religious" allowances are being referred to the company’s policy team to discuss options. A WeWork spokeswoman confirmed the contents of the memo.

Although the anti-meat stance is significant for the New York-based company, it’s far from the first startup to promote alternatives to animals. Juicero, a failed maker of high-priced juice machines, had instituted a similar ban on reimbursing employee expenses for meals at non-vegan restaurants.

Just Inc., formerly known as Hampton Creek, created a vegan-friendly alternative to mayonnaise and has said it plans to have what it calls clean meat on the market by year-end. Purple Carrot, the vegan meal-kit company, recently won backing from Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc, while Wild Earth Inc., a startup based in Berkeley, California, is creating pet food with lab-created proteins.

American Airlines Group Inc. and Starbucks Corp. recently joined the chorus of companies pledging to phase out plastic straws and drink stirrers. And Southwest Airlines Co., in a bid to reduce allergy risk, said this week peanuts will no longer be available on flights starting Aug. 1.

WeWork’s decision follows the company’s recent internal drives to reducing plastic usage, and redistribute waste food from its events to good causes.

Founded in 2010, WeWork was most recently valued at about $20 billion, though an executive from SoftBank Group Corp., a major WeWork investor, said at a conference in London in June that the startup was looking to raise funds at a $35 billion valuation.

In his email, McKelvey advised employees that the meat-free move would affect the company’s travel and expense policy, as well as WeWork’s "Honesty Market," a self-serve food and drink kiosk system present in some of its 400 co-working buildings.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can I attach myself to this stupid initiative and get a leg up in my climb on the career ladder? I am sure the rest of the slaves can be convinced to falsify their preferences. I don't really give a $#@! about what they think anyway - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ates-Are-Lying

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

All the more for me.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

More than 200 people ill from parasite in Del Monte vegetable tray recall
    https://fox2now.com/2018/07/06/more-...e-tray-recall/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

McDonald’s salads linked to parasite that’s made dozens sick in two Midwest states

https://fox59.com/2018/07/13/mcdonal...idwest-states/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cts/393764002/

E. coli concern spurs recall of nearly 15,000 pounds of ground beef and pork products

Concern about potential contamination by potentially deadly E. coli bacteria has sparked a recall of nearly 15,000 pounds of raw ground beef and pork products produced by an Oregon company.

Interstate Meat Distributors, based in Clackamas, prompted the recall by notifying U.S. Department of Agriculture food safety inspection personnel that the company's sample of beef trim had tested positive for E. coli, the USDA announced Saturday.

There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions among consumers who may have consumed portions of the 14,806 pounds of meat products. However, the USDA urged consumers to throw the products away or return them to the place of purchase.

E. coli can cause dehydration, bloody diarrhea, and abdominal cramps after exposure. Most people recover within a week, but some develop a form of kidney failure, the USDA said.

The raw ground beef and pork items were produced and packaged on Feb. 10 and Feb. 12, and were shipped to retail locations in Oregon, Utah, and Washington state, the agency said.

Even Spam can be recalled.

More than 220,000 pounds of Spam recalled over oral injuries

AUSTIN, Minn. -- Hormel has recalled spam and chicken products. More than 228,000 pounds of the Minnesota-based Hormel canned meats were recalled after four consumers complained about metal objects in the food.

The agency said "minor oral injuries" were reported but said they received "no additional reports of injury or illness" from consumption of the products. The USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) was first notified Friday, May 25

The USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service says the canned chicken and pork in question was produced in February at the company's plant in Fremont, Nebraska. The recall covers 12-ounce metal cans containing "SPAM Classic" with a "Best By" date of February 2021 date. Those products were shipped throughout the U.S.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture lists the following products in the recall statement:

12-oz. metal cans containing "SPAM Classic" with a "Best By" February 2021 date and production codes: F020881, F020882, F020883, F020884, F020885, F020886, F020887, F020888 and F020889. These products were shipped throughout the United States.

12-oz. metal cans containing "Hormel Foods Black-Label Luncheon Loaf" with a "Best By" February 2021 date and production codes F02098 and F02108. These products were shipped to Guam only.

The USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service also advises consumers contaminated product may have already been purchased. Consumers are urged to check their shelves and pantires and to not to consume the products. They should be discarded or returned to the place of purchase.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What the hell is WeWork ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    What the hell is WeWork ?
    I looked it up and they provide shared work space for start ups. Should be called WeRent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I wonder if their tenants have to be meat free.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

We got a similar one here called WorkZones, they have been around for years but I don't think they are a chain.

https://workzones.com/
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I looked it up and they provide shared work space for start ups. Should be called WeRent.
    Could just be cover for some gay underage sex ring or something. They say no bacon or donuts and the cops do not come within six blocks .
    Do something Danke

Could just be cover for some gay underage sex ring or something. They say no bacon or donuts and the cops do not come within six blocks .
    Seems legit. Plus, their no meat policy will attract soy boys.

Danke should do something.

I wonder if their tenants have to be meat free.
    Only purely Vegan people allowed.

Seems legit. Plus, their no meat policy will attract soy boys.

Yes , yes he should do something .
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes , yes he should do something .

He will probably be willing to help consume the unused meat, I will do my best as well.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Why are you angry about what a private company does? You're not implying that they don't have the right to decide what to serve or not serve, are you?

I for one applaud them for no longer offering decaying corpses on their menu.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    Why are you angry about what a private company does? You're not implying that they don't have the right to decide what to serve or not serve, are you?

I don't see anybody angry in this thread. I for one applaud them for opening up a market for all the taqueria trucks to sell their fare.

I'm not angry because I'm not one of their employees, however I am concerned at the growing trend of companies dictating to their employees how to live, since they aren't attempting to tell them how to live on their own time I'm not even very concerned.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I don't see anybody angry in this thread. I for one applaud them for opening up a market for all the taqueria trucks to sell their fare.
    I kind of got that vibe from AF. But anyway, yes, let the free market work. It reminds me of a well-known café in England that recently took dairy completely off their menu, after watching the viral video "Dairy is scary." If people don't like that decision, they can take their business somewhere else. I haven't heard how their business is doing, but with all the attention they got for that, they probably got a ton more business for doing it.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I'm not angry because I'm not one of their employees, however I am concerned at the growing trend of companies dictating to their employees how to live, since they aren't attempting to tell them how to live on their own time I'm not even very concerned.
    I didn't read the whole article, but it seems to me that they simply removed it from the food they serve at events and such… That is very different than telling people what to do on their own time. But if it was the latter, then I would agree with you.

― Henry David Thoreau

I didn't read the whole article, but it seems to me that they simply removed it from the food they serve at events and such… That is very different than telling people what to do on their own time. But if it was the latter, then I would agree with you.
    They said they won't pay for meat meals on the employees' meal expense accounts.
    As I said I'm not overly concerned because they aren't telling them what to do on their own time:

Originally Posted by Swordsmyth

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They said they won't pay for meat meals on the employees' meal expense accounts.
    As I said I'm not overly concerned because they aren't telling them what to do on their own time:
    Well I was just making that clear, regardless of what you said. But yeah, agreed.

― Henry David Thoreau

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I do not care what they do . It does not even sound like a real company but some kind of crap I would do to launder money , lol
    Do something Danke

I do not care what they do . It does not even sound like a real company but some kind of crap I would do to launder money , lol
    The more they virtue signal the more likely it becomes that you are right.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

My company won’t reimburse expenses with alcohol, unless I our our VPs approve it. Entertaining a customer? Sure. Going out with your co-workers after a job in the field and having a few rounds? Nope. Not paying for that. Granted, a bit different (red meat won’t get you drunk and isn’t an immediate liability), but still the rules. Don’t like it, leave or start your own company.

Injuns hunted and ate a lot of meat. This is discriminatory.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

As you may, I on the other hand will never work for them and would be hesitant to patronize their establishment.

I do not think it's my place to try and influence what others eat, smoke or snort. Who they screw or vote for either, what their religion is or their lack of such.

My place is to determine who I choose to interact with on what plane..

Just googled the company.........https://www.wework.com/

Touchy-feely interior designers who 'specialize' in office environments.

In other words; people who encourage those who don't produce anything tangible.

I'd have no cause to interact with their ilk...................Ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast