Thread: Donald Trump’s Twitter following is dropping bigly—and he’s not alone

Donald Trump’s Twitter following is dropping bigly—and he’s not alone

https://www.fastcompany.com/90200863...-hes-not-alone

President Trump likes to tout his massive Twitter following as a sign of his influence. But thanks to a big-time ongoing purge by Twitter of shady users, Trump’s following is going down, by a lot.

Other influencers, too—including former President Obama—are shedding substantial followers because of the purge. According to the Washington Post, Trump lost 100,000 of his 53.4 million followers, while Obama lost 400,000 of his 104 million. Overall, the Post writes, the purge will cost Twitter about 6% of its 336 million monthly active users. Last Week, the Post wrote that Twitter was closing down about a million accounts a day, and that it had shuttered 70 million in May and June.

The effort is Twitter’s latest to try to clean up its service in advance of this fall’s elections in the U.S.

The purged accounts have largely been frozen for some time, Twitter’s legal, policy and trust & safety lead, Vijaya Gadde, says in a blog post. “Over the years, we’ve locked accounts when we detected sudden changes in account behavior,” Gadde wrote. “In these situations, we reach out to the owners of the accounts, and unless they validate the account and reset their passwords, we keep them locked with no ability to log in. This week, we’ll be removing these locked accounts from follower counts across profiles globally. As a result, the number of followers displayed on many profiles may go down.”

Gadde also says that many normal Twitter users will see their follower counts drop, but not by much–four or fewer, in most cases.

The purged accounts are likely not fake, but rather can’t be confirmed as belonging to the person who originally registered them. That could happen for many different reasons, including because the accounts are acquired by someone else and used for spam or other unsavory purposes.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-13-2018 at 11:40 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    According to the Washington Post, Trump lost 100,000 of his 53.4 million followers, while Obama lost 400,000 of his 104 million
    So Obama had 2x shady followers, and I'm guessing a lot of Trump's "shady" followers were just regular people..

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    So Obama had 2x shady followers, and I'm guessing a lot of Trump's "shady" followers were just regular people..

According to the Washington Post, Trump lost 100,000 of his 53.4 million followers, while Obama lost 400,000 of his 104 million
    He also has twice as many real followers. And has probably had his account for longer leading to more dormant followers.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-13-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    He also has twice as many real followers. And has probably had his account for longer leading to more dormant followers.
    Wrong math boy.. that is not a valid mathematical comparison to what I said since mine was based on RATE. You just made it sound like they had the same rate of followers expunged.

Obama lost 4 TIMES as many followers as Trump, Trump had half the followers, Obama had twice as many "shady" followers per capita (of total followers)

In other words, if they both had the same amount of followers, Obama would have had twice as many shady ones.. and the article didn't say anything about dropping followers for being dormant, either, I don't know why you slip so much bull$#@! into your posts.
    Last edited by dannno; 07-13-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Please don't irritate Zippy. He's already stressed out the way things are going.

Out of neg rep. Putting Trump in the title is trolling.

Why is he here again?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Out of neg rep. Putting Trump in the title is trolling.

Why is he here again?
    Headline is copied from the source- not created by me. Check the link.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-13-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Donald Trump’s Twitter following is dropping bigly—and he’s not alone

...Trump lost 100,000 of his 53.4 million followers,...
    2/10 of 1% is big?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    TWITTER IS NOW DROPPING BIGLY.
    i kinds sorta miss Zippy. Sometimes.