Thread: Gun Owners Required to Lock up Guns Under New Seattle Law

Gun Owners Required to Lock up Guns Under New Seattle Law

The Seattle City Council has voted unanimously to pass legislation proposed by Mayor Jenny Durkan to require gun owners to lock up their firearms. The Seattle Times reports starting 180 days after Durkan signs the legislation passed Monday, it will be a civil infraction to store a gun without the firearm being secured in a locked container.

Also under the legislation, it will be a civil infraction when an owner knows or should know that a minor, "at-risk person" or unauthorized user is likely to access a gun and such a person actually does access the weapon.

The legislation allows fines up to $500 when a gun isn't locked up, up to $1,000 when a prohibited person accesses a firearm and up to $10,000 when a prohibited person uses the weapon to hurt someone or commit a crime.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ew-seattle-law
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are varying degrees of "locked up", even at my house. Break a glass, get a Mosin.
    Yo ass is gettin' dog bit on the way out though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

I wonder if I can sue the city for $5,000 if someone damages or steals my property, $100,000 if a home invader injures me while attempting to rob me, or $1,000,000+ if I am killed by a criminal due to being unable to access the tools necessary to defend myself in time. (okay well maybe my family would have to handle that last lawsuit)
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

A pair of gun-rights groups announced they filed a lawsuit against Seattle's restrictive gun-storage ordinance on Friday because they say it violates Washington state law.
    The National Rifle Association and Washington-based Second Amendment Foundation are working together with two Seattle residents in the suit against the city. They say the city's requirement that any guns in a person's residence must be stored in a locked container unless being carried by the owner or other authorized users violates state law.
    "The City of Seattle has been trying to erode state preemption almost from the moment it was passed back in 1985," Alan Gottlieb, the founder of the Second Amendment Foundation, said. "When the city tried to ban guns from city parks facilities under former mayors Greg Nickels and Mike McGinn, SAF and NRA joined forces with other organizations to stop it, under the state preemption statute. We should not have to repeatedly remind Seattle that they are still part of Washington State and must obey the law."
    He claimed Seattle is intentionally running afoul of the state's preemption law in order to send a political message.
    "Seattle seems to think it should be treated differently than any other local government when it comes to firearm regulation," Gottlieb said. "State preemption was adopted more than three decades ago to assure uniformity of gun laws from Ilwaco to the Idaho border. Seattle simply can't break the law to adopt an ordinance as a political statement."
    The National Rifle Association said the ordinance imposes restrictions on residents that would make it more difficult for them to defend themselves inside their own homes.
    "Gun safety and storage is a matter of personal responsibility and every person's situation is different. It is unreasonable for the law to impose a one-size-fits-all solution," the group said in a post on its website. "This poorly thought out legislation is without any consideration for personal circumstances. It invades people's homes and forces them to render their firearms useless in a self-defense situation by locking them up. The ordinance would also punish victims of crimes rather than criminals by charging a $1,000 fine for a failure to report lost or stolen firearms within 24 hours. Individuals should not be further victimized after experiencing a burglary or other loss."
    Seattle mayor Jenny Durkan stood by the ordinance when asked about the suit.

More at: https://freebeacon.com/issues/nra-se...age-ordinance/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    There are varying degrees of "locked up", even at my house. Break a glass, get a Mosin.
    Yo ass is gettin' dog bit on the way out though...
    You have a Mosin? cool, I have a 1941 18/91.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

‘Not Coming for Your Guns?’ Since Parkland Shooting, 26 States Have Passed 55 Gun Control Laws

https://thefreethoughtproject.com/gu...tates-control/
    "The Patriarch"

What states? I know about FL and VT.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    You have a Mosin? cool, I have a 1941 18/91.
    You are the second person I know of that has "a" Mosin.
    They usually come as groups... I have 3 91/30, 2 M44s, an M38 and an antique M39 with an 1897 receiver.
    My first one was a 1941, too, but it was a victim of the herd thinning. Not easy to control oneself where Mosins are concerned.
    Last edited by fedupinmo; 07-25-2018 at 06:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    You are the second person I know of that has "a" Mosin.
    They usually come as groups... I have 3 91/30, 2 M44s, an M38 and an antique M39 with an 1897 receiver.
    My first one was a 1941, too, but it was a victim of the herd thinning. Not easy to control oneself where Mosins are concerned.
    trying to find a PU scope.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!