Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Court victory legalizes 3D-printable gun blueprints

Court victory legalizes 3D-printable gun blueprints

A multi-year legal battle over the ability to distribute computer models of gun parts and replicate them in 3D printers has ended in defeat for government authorities who sought to prevent the practice. Cody Wilson, the gunmaker and free speech advocate behind the lawsuit, now intends to expand his operations, providing printable gun blueprints to all who desire them.
    The longer story of the lawsuit is well told by Andy Greenberg over at Wired, but the decision is eloquent on its own. The fundamental question is whether making 3D models of gun components available online is covered by the free speech rights granted by the First Amendment.
    This is a timely but complex conflict because it touches on two themes that happen to be, for many, ethically contradictory. Arguments for tighter restrictions on firearms are, in this case, directly opposed to arguments for the unfettered exchange of information on the internet. It's hard to advocate for both here: restricting firearms and restricting free speech are one and the same.
    That at least seems to be conclusion of the government lawyers, who settled Wilson's lawsuit after years of court battles. In a copy of the settlement provided to me by Wilson, the U.S. government agrees to exempt "the technical data that is the subject of the Action" from legal restriction. The modified rules should appear in the Federal Register soon.
    What does this mean? It means that a 3D model that can be used to print the components of a working firearm is legal to own and legal to distribute. You can likely even print it and use the product — you just can't sell it. There are technicalities to the law here (certain parts are restricted, but can be sold in an incomplete state, etc) but the implications as regards the files themselves seems clear.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/court...231943763.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Has 3D printing technology advanced to the point where this matters anymore?

Gun prints in the past resulted in very mixed and unreliable results and in most cases were only good for a "temporary" (read: assassination) firearm.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post

Gun prints in the past resulted in very mixed and unreliable results and in most cases were only good for a "temporary" (read: assassination) firearm.
    The technology will continue to advance.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

There's no feasible way to prohibit such things anyway. The most they could do is make it so the owner would have to hack the machine or download the schematics as a torrent.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The technology will continue to advance.
    That didn't answer my question.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

That didn't answer my question.
    I don't know the answer to your question but this ruling is good and will be useful in the future if not now.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I don't know the answer to your question but this ruling is good and will be useful in the future if not now.
    So you confirm that you just post whatever $#@! the MSM pumps out without any comprehension of what you're posting.

So you confirm that you just post whatever $#@! the MSM pumps out without any comprehension of what you're posting.
    Yes, 3-D printing firearms is becoming a viable (see: reliable) option for those looking to build their own firearms.

They also have the Ghost Gunner CNC which can finish 80% lowers.

MSM would have much preferred the 1st Amendment to not cover these files and as soon as it is out of the bag of where this technology is at (building your own firearms at will), expect apoplectic tantrums.

Not to mention that this technology is for far more than just building firearms. Flash hiders, magazines, foregrips, you name it.... and soon, polymer shell casings.

That is beyond the Liberator, polymer lowers, etc.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Its a double edge sword. While I agree with the ruling, it will be used to create hysteria. Just as the bumpfire nonsense - they'll be shouting "We must do something". Waiting to see the same staged incidents, such as the plastic firearms on a plane.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Its a double edge sword. While I agree with the ruling, it will be used to create hysteria. Just as the bumpfire nonsense - they'll be shouting "We must do something". Waiting to see the same staged incidents, such as the plastic firearms on a plane.
    If it makes you feel any better, the TSA hardly finds mostly metal weapons too.

TSA fails most tests in latest undercover operation at US airports

In recent undercover tests of multiple airport security checkpoints by the Department of Homeland Security, inspectors said screeners, their equipment or their procedures failed more than half the time, according to a source familiar with the classified report.

When ABC News asked the source if the failure rate was 80 percent, the response was, "You are in the ballpark."

The news of the failure comes two years after ABC News reported that secret teams from the DHS found that the TSA failed 95 percent of the time to stop inspectors from smuggling weapons or explosive materials through screening.

hxxps://abcnews.go.com/US/tsa-fails-tests-latest-undercover-operation-us-airports/story?id=51022188
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, the TSA hardly finds mostly metal weapons too.
    No need to convince me - I agree, its kabuki theater. Still, the media will selectively present their cases, to support their anti-gun narrative. And those who are casual (lazy) about understanding current events, will swallow the narrative hook-line-and-sinker. Leaving those of us who know better to be labeled as "on the fringe, conspiracy, nutjobs".

@2:13

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

No, I posted a ruling that is good for gun rights in the future if not right now.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That is entirely beside the friggin point!

The government tried to say this guy violated the firearm export laws... claiming that digital code was, in effect, a firearm! He fought it and won! Now an entirely new field of digitally coded firearm prints is available. No serial numbers, no tracking, no infringing, etc. This is an absolute victory...
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

- rep

This was a bull$#@! attack. It IS good for gun rights. It IS good for 1st amendment rights. Anyone who can't see that, is blindly ignorant.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    - rep

This was a bull$#@! attack. It IS good for gun rights. It IS good for 1st amendment rights. Anyone who can't see that, is blindly ignorant.
    Thanks.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Due to the terms of the surprising settlement of the United States government, Wilson can begin posting his open-source technical data, including files for every gun up to .50 caliber available through commerce, on July 27. An irrevocable content dump, according to Wilson, which renders gun control efforts increasingly futile.
    Moreover, in the settlement, "the government expressly acknowledges that non-automatic firearms up to .50-caliber – including modern semi-auto sporting rifles such as the popular AR-15 and similar firearms – are not inherently military," notes a press release from the Second Amendment Foundation. In other words, the handful of liberal states that currently ban "assault weapons" like the AR-15, such as New York state via the SAFE Act, could potentially face legal challenges.

"This doesn’t put the rifle in everyone’s hand, but it does that in essence. The DNA of our culture is preserved," he explained. "This is the first pillar in the internet gun culture of tomorrow, and it is permanent."

Wilson emphasized that this can’t be regulated in any meaningful way. "Anything that makes it through my organization now, becomes public domain material, irrevocably so," he said. "I’m the shepherd... and I’m going to put any and everything up."
    And Defense Distributed, a nonprofit organization founded by Wilson that maintains defcad.com, will only help to accelerate gun culture online via their open-source content, standing as a reference resource and model for customization. "It’s kinda like GitHub for guns," he said.

More at: https://www.dailywire.com/news/32872...-prestigiacomo

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A U.S. judge on Friday rejected a last-ditch effort by gun control groups to block the Trump administration from allowing the public to download blueprints for 3-D printable guns, declining to intervene just days before the designs are expected to go online.

U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman in Austin, Texas, denied the request for an order by the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence at a hearing, saying he would state the reasons for his decision in a written order to follow.
    At the hearing, the judge said he was sympathetic to the gun control groups’ concerns but questioned their legal standing to intervene in the case.
    The groups sought to intervene following a June settlement between Defense Distributed and the U.S. government allowing the company to legally publish gun blueprints online, something its website says it plans to do by Aug. 1.
    The government ordered the blueprints taken down in 2013 and Defense Distributed founder Cody Wilson sued in 2015, claiming his First Amendment and Second Amendment rights had been violated.
    The government had until recently argued the blueprints posed a national security risk. Gun control groups said there had been no explanation for the June settlement and the administration’s abrupt reversal on the issue.
    Lawyers for the Brady Center declined to comment on Pitman’s ruling after the hearing.

More at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1KH2I2

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://www.nj.com/politics/index.ss...ues_nj_ag.html

Jersey's AG sued over move to block 3D-printed gun website in N.J.

A Texas group created to share designs online allowing anyone to produce a 3D-printed firearm at home is suing New Jersey's attorney general for attempting to block access to its website by residents of the Garden State.

Defense Distributed is slated to release its design schematics for homemade guns on its website August 1 after a lengthy legal battle with the federal government led to a settlement earlier this month.

But New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal last week sent the group a letter claiming that making the files available to New Jersey residents would be a violation of state law.

{ /snip... more at link }

Grewal wrote in a cease-and-desist letter that the release of the digital files would "flood the illegal firearms market and pose a direct threat to the public safety of my state," calling it a violation of the state's public nuisance laws.

Wilson said Sunday he would temporarily block users with New Jersey IP addresses from accessing the files when they are posted. Later, in an email to NJ Advance Media, Wilson said he "elected to correct your attorney general in court" and filed papers in the U.S. District Court in West Texas.

The complaint accuses Grewal and Feuer of engaging in an "ideologically-fueled program of intimidation and harassment." It calls their legal threats "an unconstitutional prior restraint," a term that applies to efforts by the government to suppress publication of information it deems harmful.
    Cody Wilson posted on Twitter that he's now being sued by 21 state AG's. The complaint he filed agains NJ and LA's AG's is a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    https://www.nj.com/politics/index.ss...ues_nj_ag.html

Jersey's AG sued over move to block 3D-printed gun website in N.J.

Cody Wilson posted on Twitter that he's now being sued by 21 state AG's. The complaint he filed agains NJ and LA's AG's is a good read.
    Turbanhead needs to be deported, alternatively we need anyone sane to leave NJ so you aren't left behind when we expel them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Pennsylvania officials have blocked a company that makes downloadable plans for 3D printed guns from making them accessible in the state or allowing the company to upload new files.

Texas-based pro-gun group Defense Distributed sought to make its 3D downloadable gun files available over the internet. However officials in Pennsylvania sued the company to make the plans inaccessible in their state. And after an emergency session on Sunday in a Philadelphia federal court, the company agreed to make its plans inaccessible to Pennsylvania users and to not upload any new files, according to Attorney General Josh Shapiro's office.

More at: https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...n-pennsylvania

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It will be useless for individual states to block people from downloading CAD files. A VPN or tor browser makes it impossible for the seller to know where the buyer is located. Prepaid credits cards you can buy at Walmart allow you to register any billing address you want, so the seller won't be able to discover what state you live in that way either.

Additionally, these plans will quickly get pirated, as that will provide even more anonymity for people who want them. These states can cry and fuss all they want, but it won't accomplish anything.

Ooops. Trump seems to not be a fan.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...d-printed-guns

Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post
    It will be useless for individual states to block people from downloading CAD files. A VPN or tor browser makes it impossible for the seller to know where the buyer is located. Prepaid credits cards you can buy at Walmart allow you to register any billing address you want, so the seller won't be able to discover what state you live in that way either.

Additionally, these plans will quickly get pirated, as that will provide even more anonymity for people who want them. These states can cry and fuss all they want, but it won't accomplish anything.
    The designs are free to download, a trip across a state line to an internet cafe or a VPN is all that is needed to get around local bans.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ooops. Trump seems to not be a fan.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...d-printed-guns
    I don't think he really means it or that anything will come form his statements but it is bad that he is pandering on the issue, I don't believe he gains any support from "moderates" in return for the life he breathes into the ant-gun culture.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I don't think he really means it or that anything will come form his statements but it is bad that he is pandering on the issue, I don't believe he gains any support from "moderates" in return for the life he breathes into the ant-gun culture.
    Why do you think he doesn't mean it?

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Why do you think he doesn't mean it?
    Because when he did the same thing with bump stocks he insisted on going the regulatory route that is doomed to be struck down if it ever actually happens, even AF has admitted Dannno may win their bet.

If Trump really meant the anti-gun things he has said he would have been pushing for legislation on bump stocks.

I predict that nothing will happen about printed guns and Trump will stop talking about them.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So are these files for their milling machine or just the plastic 3D printers that are out there already?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmastersexsay View Post

They can't stop torrents:

https://thepiratebay.org/search/Defe...ributed/0/99/0

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast