Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1140

Thread: Boom. You can't out tariff us. Period. This Trump knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    NPR wanted to find that but they ended up debunking it, don't you remember?

Staffers from NPR (National Public Radio) went shopping at Walmart to confirm that Trump’s tariffs are already costing American consumers a lot of money. They couldn’t hide the results: The impact is hardly noticeable.
    In announcing the results of a year-long study of prices at a local Walmart, NPR boldly announced: “Shoppers beware: the tariffs will bite.” The bite turned out to be a nibble.
    In August 2018, NPR staffers began tracking the prices on some 70 items at a Walmart store in Liberty County, Georgia, ranging from toilet paper and black beans to lightbulbs and TVs. They learned that of those 70 common everyday items, only 24 of them saw increased prices, while 12 of them saw decreased prices, and the remaining 34 had no price changes.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/econo...s-big-surprise
    Yes I remember that nonsense study. Their (you trust NPR now?) basket didn't include the low priced, high volume food items that I specifically mentioned as having large % price increases at the same time as Walmart's "thoughtful" price management process was being implemented.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Yes I remember that nonsense study. Their (you trust NPR now?) basket didn't include the low priced, high volume food items that I specifically mentioned as having large % price increases at the same time as Walmart's "thoughtful" price management process was being implemented.
    I trust that they are always anti-Trump and that if they are forced to report something in his favor then things must be even better than that.

Nobody has shown that prices are rising significantly or that any rises can be traced to the tariffs.
    The Chinese don't sell us much food and they lower their prices on the things they do sell us to keep their marketshare as best they can.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I trust that they are always anti-Trump and that if they are forced to report something in his favor then things must be even better than that.

Nobody has shown that prices are rising significantly or that any rises can be traced to the tariffs.
    The Chinese don't sell us much food and they lower their prices on the things they do sell us to keep their marketshare as best they can.
    Except the part where Walmart admitted it. I think that's earlier in the thread somewhere.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Except the part where Walmart admitted it. I think that's earlier in the thread somewhere.
    They claimed it would happen because the Chinese pressured them along with lots of other companies with ties to China but it hasn't happened.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

WalMart actually gets most of their revenue these days from food items- 56%. Those have not been hit by much in tariffs so their profit report was good.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-w...-idUSKCN1V514R

The retailer gets 56% of its revenue from food and grocery sales, which allows it to manage the pressure from tariffs better than many rivals, analysts said.

In an interview on Thursday, Chief Financial Officer Brett Biggs said Walmart has raised prices on some items due to these tariffs, but it is not passing all the cost pressure it faces to consumers.
    A Walmart shopping trip was 5.2% more expensive in June than a year earlier, according to Gordon Haskett Research Advisors, which compared prices on a basket of about 76 identical items over the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    WalMart actually gets most of their revenue these days from food items- 56%. Those have not been hit by much in tariffs so their profit report was good.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-w...-idUSKCN1V514R
    And yet devil tells us that NPR didn't include food but they found not only little or no rise in prices but also price drops.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 11-18-2019 at 08:22 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

High volume food items are usually "loss leaders". Companies sell them for less than the cost to get customers in to buy other things to go along with them. Bananas, bread and milk are typical "loss leaders". And again, those items are not currently subject to tariffs. (Basket does include quite a few food items: https://www.npr.org/2019/09/16/75371...r#res758080141 )

"We spread the impact across hundreds of thousands of items we have in the market," Walmart U.S. CEO Greg Foran told reporters at the time.
    Food prices — another category with some major price jumps in NPR's basket — are some of the trickiest to analyze. They fluctuate a lot and get influenced by many factors besides tariffs.

For example, higher price tags on cod and cabbage had more to do with bad weather and low catch rates than the trade war, said Food Institute President Brian Todd.

On the other end of the spectrum, China's retaliatory tariffs against U.S. products helped drive down prices on pork and some seafood. China restricting imports from the U.S. left North American companies with a glut to sell domestically. "We lost an export market, so there's more here," Todd said.

At the same time, higher prices for garlic — they soared 53% — actually illustrate tariffs working as intended.

China had been the biggest exporter of garlic to the U.S., and domestic garlic growers have long argued they were being undercut by cheaper Chinese competition. Now that Chinese garlic faces higher tariffs, domestic companies can charge higher prices.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-18-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    High volume food items are usually "loss leaders". Companies sell them for less than the cost to get customers in to buy other things to go along with them. Bananas, bread and milk are typical "loss leaders". And again, those items are not currently subject to tariffs. (Basket does include quite a few food items: https://www.npr.org/2019/09/16/75371...r#res758080141 )
    So you're telling me that Gatorade, cheese, yogurt and other items jumped in price around 25% due to inflation/dollar losing value instead of tariffs? Interesting. Never expected to see you chalking up price increases to dollar purchasing power losses but ok.

And yet devil tells us that NPR didn't include food but they found not only little or no rise in prices but also price drops.
    70 items was their basket, iirc. Hardly a definitive study, plus they admitted that prices DID rise on many of the 70 items. You keep saying prices didn't rise but that's not what their test said. Then they asked Walmart and Walmart admitted that they "thoughtfully" managed price increases. So yes prices did rise. How it was perceived by customers was the issue, not whether there were rises or not. Walmart admitted to increased prices. Go ahead and post the NPR article...
    Last edited by devil21; 11-19-2019 at 09:12 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So you're telling me that Gatorade, cheese, yogurt and other items jumped in price around 25% due to inflation/dollar losing value instead of tariffs? Interesting. Never expected to see you chalking up price increases to dollar purchasing power losses but ok.

70 items was their basket, iirc. Hardly a definitive study, plus they admitted that prices DID rise on many of the 70 items. You keep saying prices didn't rise but that's not what their test said. Then they asked Walmart and Walmart admitted that they "thoughtfully" managed price increases. So yes prices did rise. How it was perceived by customers was the issue, not whether there were rises or not. Walmart admitted to increased prices. Go ahead and post the NPR article...
    Tell me about the prices that dropped.
    And I didn't say no rise, I said little or no rise.
    It also hasn't been shown that any rise is the result of tariffs.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Tell me about the prices that dropped.
    And I didn't say no rise, I said little or no rise.
    It also hasn't been shown that any rise is the result of tariffs.
    Post the NPR article and we'll see whether Walmart admitted to price increases due to tariffs or not.

Post the NPR article and we'll see whether Walmart admitted to price increases due to tariffs or not.
    You post it if you want, I recently reposted it so it shouldn't be hard for you to find.

But what Walmart says is hardly trustworthy, they will say anything China tells them to because they sold their souls to China long ago.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You post it if you want, I recently reposted it so it shouldn't be hard for you to find.

But what Walmart says is hardly trustworthy, they will say anything China tells them to because they sold their souls to China long ago.
    LOL, so now Walmart is lying and NPR is telling the truth? Strange days in Swordy's world.

LOL, so now Walmart is lying and NPR is telling the truth? Strange days in Swordy's world.
    Walmart lying is not so strange and I already said that NPR was probably twisting things against Trump as far as they could but still were forced to report something not bad for him.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Walmart lying is not so strange and I already said that NPR was probably twisting things against Trump as far as they could but still were forced to report something not bad for him.
    The other night I watched an episode of Explained on Netlfix about cults.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9689036/?ref_=ttep_ep1

I had to laugh because when the show went down the checklist of how cults are created, your Trumpkin rhetoric (and the cult of Trump as a whole) literally ticked every box in the step-by-step process.

The other night I watched an episode of Explained on Netlfix about cults.
    LOL

You really sourcing from a show produced by Vox right now?

Enjoy your liberal statist propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    LOL

You really sourcing from a show produced by Vox right now?

Enjoy your liberal statist propaganda.
    You disagree that is how cults are created? Seems pretty nonpartisan, regardless of who produced the show. Politics/Trump wasn't mentioned once.

In fact, it applied just as easily to the cult of Obama as it does the cult of Trump. Perhaps the revelation is that mainstream politics is nothing more than mass cult-building?
    Last edited by devil21; 11-19-2019 at 10:23 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As Michael Pillsbury pointed out in his monumental Hundred-Year Marathon: China’s Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower, the communists running China expect their economy to be triple the size of the U.S. economy in 2049, the 100th anniversary of their 1949 takeover.

But what if the numbers emanating from China’s controlled media are wrong? What if China’s economy isn’t 70 percent the size of the U.S. economy, but is actually vastly smaller? Equally important is this: What if the U.S. economy is growing faster than forecasters are predicting?
    University of Michigan economists just trumpeted: “Get ready for a continued slowdown ahead, as [U.S.] growth slides from 2.9% a year ago to 2.3% this year, and to 1.7% in 2020-21.”
    The economists claim that new home construction “boosted GDP by nearly two-tenths of a percentage point in the third quarter.” According to the Wall Street Journal, however, the housing market is even stronger, with existing home sales jumping nearly two percent in the month of October compared to September, and nearly five percent compared to a year ago. October marked the fourth straight month of year-over-year gains in existing home sales. This, coupled with home-builder confidence touching recent highs, new home construction climbing nearly four percent last month from September, and the rise in residential construction permits in October, bodes well for the U.S. economy to outperform the experts at UMich.
    Those are real numbers. The numbers from China? Not so much. Professor Luis Martinez at the University of Chicago thinks that China’s numbers way overstate reality in that totalitarian communist dictatorship where for 40 years it’s been in the best interests of the rulers to make things look better on paper than they are in reality. In his study “How Much Should We Trust the Dictator’s GDP Growth Estimates?,” updated in August, Martinez concluded: “GDP growth statistics are self-reported by governments and prone to manipulation, while the nighttime lights recorded by satellites from outer space are not.”
    To see for yourself what Marinez means when he says “nighttime lights” show how economies look from outer space, check out the National Geographic’s Night Satellite Photos of the Earth.
    Continues Martinez:
    The magnitude of this [economic] manipulation is substantial. I estimate that the most authoritarian regimes inflate yearly GDP growth rates on average by a factor of 1.15 to 1.3.
    Adjustment of the GDP growth figures for manipulation changes our understanding of relative economic performance at the turn of the 21st century and downplays the apparent economic success of countries with non-democratic forms of government [i.e., China].
    Martinez then calculates that China’s GDP isn’t $15 trillion, but half that, at “roughly $7.5 trillion.” That means that China’s economy isn’t 70 percent the size of the U.S. economy, but less than a third.
    This means that Chinese communists’ goal of having an economy triple that of the U.S. by 2049 will just be another “five-year plan” gone awry.
    This mathematical dance is in no way intended to diminish or otherwise minimize the threat to America posed by the thugs and tyrants ruling China. It means that in the real world, China is a much smaller presence than it declares itself to be.
    It is likely that President Trump is aware of all of this, which explains why he is very happy to wait for the Chinese to come to his table for serious negotiations, and if not, then he'll continue to ratchet up the tariffs until they do.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/world...l-with-the-u-s

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Trump administration can declare a minor victory in the trade war.

It is not yet a victory over China. It’s a victory over the Federal Reserve.
    A trio of economists from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York have posted an article on the bank’s blog, Liberty Street Economics, that challenges the claim that U.S. households are paying for tariffs on Chinese imports.
    Five months ago, Liberty Street Economics wrote about a controversial study that claimed to show the tariffs were costing American households hundreds of dollars a year in the form of higher prices for imported goods. That study was at odds, however, with data on consumer prices, which have down no evidence of price hikes due to tariffs.
    The key flaw in the earlier study was that it assumed that the fact that import prices were not falling to offset the higher import duties meant that the duties must be passed on to U.S. consumers. Breitbart News pointed out that this was a wrong-headed reading of the data on import prices.
    [T]he economists derived unit prices of imports hit by tariffs by simply dividing the value by the quantity. What they found is that, even though the quantities of imports subject to tariffs had fallen, the unit prices had not.
    Since someone must be paying the tariffs, the economists decided that U.S. importers must be paying them—and then passing on the costs to consumers. Note that they do not have direct evidence of either of these things. The idea that the importers are paying is just an inference from the unit price data and the idea that the tariffs are passed through to consumers is based on nothing more than an assumption that higher producer prices must get passed along to consumers.
    The first problem with the study is that it is too reliant on reported import prices—and these are not very reliable, especially in the immediate aftermath of tariff changes.
    Import values are supposed to be based on the actual prices paid by importers to foreign manufacturers, less the cost of insurance and shipping. But around one-quarter of all imports from China are valued under a different methodology because they are transactions between related parties—foreign arms of multinational corporations. The official values of these imports tend to be sticky because they have to be estimated according to various customs rules because the U.S. government is wary that companies will underprice imports to dodge any duties imposed. This puts upward pressure on reported values, at least temporarily.
    The new post from the New York Fed acknowledges this:
    Affiliates of multinational corporations may be leaving reported import prices unchanged for accounting reasons. In doing so, the multinational would be letting higher tariffs reduce the reported profits of its U.S. operation (rather than those of its Chinese operation).
    Breitbart News also highlighted that the study simply assumed that the tariffs could and would be passed on the U.S. consumers rather than absorbed by importers in the form of narrower margins.
    The latest New York Fed blog post also acknowledges that economists do not know if tariff costs will be passed on:
    Who pays the tariff tax depends on how it is split between lower profit margins (for wholesalers, retailers, and manufacturers) and higher prices for consumers. Estimating this split is difficult since the distribution of any tax increase on profit margins and prices depends on the details of market structure, such as the number and size of competing firms.
    Another problem with the earlier Fed study was that it did not give enough weight to the cost of lost business to China.
    The second problem is that the economists missed a very important way China is paying for the tariffs: in lost sales. Imports of tariffed goods fell sharply, according to the paper. This is partly because U.S. consumers bought more items produced domestically, and partly because multinationals shifted their supply chains to avoid the tariffs, moving production from China to Vietnam or Mexico. These lost sales are a cost to China—an indication that China is paying a price for the tariffs.
    Now the Fed has corrected this oversight. Indeed, China’s share of U.S. imports is crashing.
    Regardless of whether consumers or businesses bear the burden, sustained high tariffs on Chinese goods will encourage a search for alternative suppliers. The chart below shows the change in China’s share of total U.S. imports by product category relative to 2017. China’s market share has already fallen by roughly 2 percentage points for machinery and electrical equipment and by close to 6 percentage points for electronics. A broader look at the trade data shows that China’s lost market share has gone largely to Europe and Japan for machinery and to Malaysia, South Korea, Taiwan, and Vietnam for electronics and electrical equipment.

More at: https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...u-s-consumers/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The New York Federal Reserve made a quiet admission two days ago that was missed by almost all financial media. In the NY Fed economic blog they admitted everyone was wrong, President Trump’s 2017 tariffs against China did not lead to increased U.S. consumer prices [Read Here]. The Fed also said imports of the Chinese products affected by U.S. tariffs have fallen by an annualized $75 billion. That’s a huge chunk of business U.S. purchasers have shifted to Japan and other Southeast Asian countries.

Within this dynamic lays the real reason why Beijing cannot wait for a 2020 election hoping that Biden or Bloomberg can stop their bleeding. Before going into more depth, this brief explainer from Charles Payne will help establish a framework. WATCH:
    What Payne outlines is correct; however, the internal Chinese ‘tariff-offset’ dynamic is actually even a little deeper. Overlaying the NY Fed research we can see that Beijing has attempted to offset the Trump tariffs in four majority ways:

• A devaluation of their currency by roughly 10% since the tariffs were implemented. This makes the dollar a higher value when purchasing. The U.S. dollar purchases more stuff.
    • Direct subsidies by the communist control authority. That is a direct payment to the exporting Chinese company to offset the drop in prices they may need to be competitive.
    • Indirect subsidies. Remember, China is a communist system. Beijing can tell a province to cancel the electricity bill to a company within that province. Beijing absorbs the cost.
    • Incentives for enhanced end-product delivery. As Payne noted in the video the Chinese company just give the purchaser more stuff at the same price. That additional stuff offsets the tariff cost. This free stuff shows up in new contract terms.

All of this is an effort by China to diminish the impact of U.S. tariffs against their exports. However, all of this cumulative effort, while small in the individual pieces, when added up is a big economic cost to Beijing. Thus the overall economic loss is starting to snowball as the accumulation of offsets is beginning to aggregate. They cannot continue indefinitely.
    China is suffering a slow death by a thousand paper-cuts. The bleeding of cash in combination with the direct loss of $75 billion in annualized exported products that U.S. companies have now sourced from alternative ASEAN nations is biting hard.
    The direct outcome is also a drop in China’s purchasing of industrial goods they would normally use in the manufacturing process. This lack of Chinese purchasing is one of the top reasons for the stall in the European economy.

More at: https://theconservativetreehouse.com...nd-paper-cuts/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Well, it's been about a year and a half.

How's this working?

Has China collapsed, surrendered, and built a monument to Trump yet?

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Well, it's been about a year and a half.

How's this working?

Has China collapsed, surrendered, and built a monument to Trump yet?
    We are winning.

You can read about China losing and getting closer to collapse here:

Charting China's Imminent Implosion

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

We are winning.

You can read about China losing and getting closer to collapse here:

Charting China's Imminent Implosion
    Winning would mean China and the US not only reversing the recent tariff increases, but lowering tariffs to below the ante bellum levels, right?

Winning would mean China and the US not only reversing the recent tariff increases, but lowering tariffs to below the ante bellum levels, right?
    That or China collapsing if it refuses to play fair.
    They can't destroy us and turn us into a communist country if they collapse.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That or China collapsing if it refuses to play fair.
    They can't destroy us and turn us into a communist country if they collapse.
    1. Any predictions as to when that that might happen?

2. Are you sure that the collapse of a society containing 1/5th of humanity would be a good thing?

3. How is China turning the US communist (is China the one not vetoing the spending bills)?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1. Any predictions as to when that that might happen?
    Within Trump's two terms.

2. Are you sure that the collapse of a society containing 1/5th of humanity would be a good thing?
    Yes, just as the collapse of the USSR or the Jacobin regime in France were good.
    China is presently set on imposing a global tyranny that would crush humanity for generations.

3. How is China turning the US communist (is China the one not vetoing the spending bills)?
    By destroying our economy so that people are susceptible to communist propaganda, bribing our politicians and interfering in our politics, culture and education system to spread communism.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Within Trump's two terms.
    I guess you better reelect him..

Yes, just as the collapse of the USSR or the Jacobin regime in France were good.
    China is presently set on imposing a global tyranny that would crush humanity for generations.
    China isn't a communist state, no matter how many times those looking for scapegoats claim otherwise.

It is, however, a powerful state, which is going to be a problem for those in DC who wish to dominate the world.

By destroying our economy so that people are susceptible to communist propaganda, bribing our politicians and interfering in our politics, culture and education system to spread communism.
    Well, that's one theory.

Another is that the US is declining due to long-standing internal problems, which long pre-date Mao, let alone the recent rise of China as a power.

I guess you better reelect him..
    It's in the bag.
    And we can elect Don Jr. to finish the job if that's what it takes.

China isn't a communist state, no matter how many times those looking for scapegoats claim otherwise.
    It's a horrendous tyranny that centrally plans it's economy and oppresses it's people no matter what label you want to use.

It is, however, a powerful state, which is going to be a problem for those in DC who wish to dominate the world.
    Or for those who desire liberty.

Well, that's one theory.

Another is that the US is declining due to long-standing internal problems, which long pre-date Mao, let alone the recent rise of China as a power.
    The two options are not mutually exclusive.
    We can and will fix both.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's in the bag.
    Or any of the anti-trade Democrats (current ones, I mean)

It's a horrendous tyranny that centrally plans it's economy and oppresses it's people no matter what label you want to use.
    You used the label communist, and that's plainly inaccurate.

E.G. There are privately owned enterprises (lots of them) in China.

Or for those who desire liberty.
    The only real danger in China's rise is that the US will attempt to contain it, someone will blunder, and we'll revert to the stone age.

The two options are not mutually exclusive.
    We can and will fix both.
    Gentle George...

Or any of the anti-trade Democrats (current ones, I mean)
    Nope, China owns their souls and they will serve the ChiComs no matter what they may say.

You used the label communist, and that's plainly inaccurate.

E.G. There are privately owned enterprises (lots of them) in China.
    Most are private in name only and their economy is dominated by state-owned enterprises.

The only real danger in China's rise is that the US will attempt to contain it, someone will blunder, and we'll revert to the stone age.
    LOL
    Don't insult our intelligence, China is one of the worst tyrannies in the world today and they are bent on imposing their system on the world.

Gentle George...
    George always wins.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's in the bag.
    I was wondering when you'd start floating Ivanka or some other Trump to replace Donald.

Haven't we had our fill of "royal" American political dynasties yet?

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast