Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Boom. You can't out tariff us. Period. This Trump knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Well I just found out Friday that I'm temporarily laid off from work because of the raised tariffs.
    Would it make you feel better to know China is hurting too?

But seriously, I'm really sorry to hear that.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well I just found out Friday that I'm temporarily laid off from work because of the raised tariffs.
    What line of work are you in, maybe RPF might have some connections?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Great news! Getcha some of those free unemployment greenbacks and steak dinner food stamps and take a well deserved break. Follow that passion for your hobby of choice. Spend time with family. Post more on RPF's!
    Can you buy steak dinner for $1.40?

https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-a...d-on-the-table

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Can you buy steak dinner for $1.40?

https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-a...d-on-the-table

No. But, I can for $249.

Making America Great Again, one tariff at a time
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Making America Great Again, one tariff at a time

The "Greatness" just keeps piling up, doesn't it?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

I'm very sorry to hear that you are being laid off.

That said, many people lost jobs because we didn't defend ourselves in the trade wars and not every company that is blaming the tariffs is telling the truth.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    Going full autarchy would probably be highly beneficial in the long term for the health and well-bring of the people of the United States of America. Autarchy means national self-sufficiency. Just cut off all trade with everyone. This situation happens during an all-out war, due to logistical realities —not being able to trade with anyone — but it could also be enacted as a matter of conscious policy.

This would result in a lower level of economic prosperity for the USA, all else equal, as a thousand Mises Institute lectures can explain to you. It might, however, seem to you, alert societal observer, that more prosperity is the very last thing the people of America need. So while the conventional thinking is that any reduction in the sacred GDP is an unalloyed catastrophic bad, if you are a strange and baffling breed we call “independent thinker,” you may think it would be a good.

It also would result in increased independence, both nationally and for American fathers and their families. Everything anyone in America wants to buy — and there is an awful long list of such things, let me tell you — would have to be made by a fellow American. And so finally the insatiable appetite for consumption would be matched — precisely — by an equally insatiable appetite for production.

It’s simple economic law. Watch some Mises if you don’t agree/understand.
    Liberty and wealth are often in opposition to eachother, many people always choose wealth, they usually end up with neither.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    many people always choose wealth, they usually end up with neither.
    Normal people, if they won the lottery, would do.... what?

House?
    Boat?
    Private Island?

But how do any of these things help to make your bloodline stronger 100 years from now? Do the normies ever think of that?

And...

House?
    Boat?
    Private Island?

But how do any of these things help to make your bloodline stronger 100 years from now? Do the normies ever think of that?

And...
    You must spread some reputation around..........................

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Chinese state-owned firms bought at least 1 million tonnes of U.S. soybeans on Feb. 1, a day after high-level bilateral talks yielded progress toward a trade deal and a Chinese commitment to buy more U.S. soybeans.
    The purchases are slated for shipment between April and July, with a large share expected from U.S. Gulf Coast export terminals, three traders with knowledge of the deals said.
    One trader with direct knowledge of the deals said total purchases were around 2.2 million tonnes. The other two traders said the sales were similar to three recent waves of buying in which state-owned firms booked 1 million to 1.5 million tonnes of soybeans.

More at: https://www.theepochtimes.com/china-...y_2787646.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Can you elaborate?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

House?
    Boat?
    Private Island?

And...
    Somebody has been reading Rofschild threads

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Somebody has been reading Rofschild threads
    Astute, he is.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

China will purchase 10 million metric tons of U.S. soybeans, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said Friday.
    The announcement comes as the White House is a trying to reach a broader trade deal with Beijing by next month. President Trump announced Friday that he will meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping at Mar-a-Lago, Florida, for one-on-one talks.
    "In (an) Oval Office meeting today, the Chinese committed to buy an additional 10 million metric tons of U.S. soybeans. Hats off to @potuS for bringing China to the table. Strategy is working. Show of good faith by the Chinese. Also indications of more good news to come," Perdue tweeted.

More at: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...on-in-soybeans

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    China has agreed to buy up to $1.2 trillion in goods from the United States as part of the current negotiations to end the trade war between the countries, CNBC reported on Friday, citing sources familiar with the situation.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/china-agreed-...193327396.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

But on a year-over-year basis, the gap rose by 10.4 percent.
    The U.S trade deficit with its global partners fell in November for the first time after five straight months of increases as the shortfall with China and several other countries declined.
    The decline was largely due to a slide in imports, which fell 2.9 percent to $259.2 billion. Exports edged lower to $209.9 billion, a 0.6 percent drop.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/06/us-t...for-trump.html

There was that surge in orders of imports to try to get product in before the tariffs kicked in.

March 1st scheduled increase in tariffs on Chinese goods (raising the current 10% ones on $250 billion in goods was due to rise to 25% on the same ones) is delayed for now.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-24-2019 at 07:27 PM.

China has agreed to buy up to $1.2 trillion in goods from the United States as part of the current negotiations to end the trade war between the countries, CNBC reported on Friday, citing sources familiar with the situation.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/china-agreed-...193327396.html
    Over how many years? We exported $187 billion to them last year. If that is over ten years, it would be a decline in US exports to China. Or will China suddenly buy ten times what they already do? Hardly likely.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-24-2019 at 08:08 PM.

China will purchase 10 million metric tons of U.S. soybeans, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said Friday.
    The announcement comes as the White House is a trying to reach a broader trade deal with Beijing by next month. President Trump announced Friday that he will meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping at Mar-a-Lago, Florida, for one-on-one talks.
    "In (an) Oval Office meeting today, the Chinese committed to buy an additional 10 million metric tons of U.S. soybeans. Hats off to @potuS for bringing China to the table. Strategy is working. Show of good faith by the Chinese. Also indications of more good news to come," Perdue tweeted.

More at: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...on-in-soybeans
    In 2017, they were buying 31 million metric tons. This is less than a third of that. Winning by selling less than we were? http://www.nopa.org/resources/datafa...ybean-exports/

Trump backtracks on March 1 tariff deadline.

The formal end to the global reserve dollar must not be quite ready yet. That's what all of this is about.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

US manufacturing not exactly booming right now either. https://www.freightwaves.com/news/is...-in-during-feb

New orders declined 2.7 percentage points to 58.2 percent, according to the ISM report. Production declined to 54.8 percent, a 5.7 percentage point decrease. Inventories rose slightly to 52.8 percent. Prices paid fell slightly to 49.4 percent, the second straight month of declines in raw materials prices after nearly three years of increases.

A tanker capable of carrying up to 600,000 barrels of oil is discharging U.S. Eagle Ford crude oil into China’s eastern port of Qingdao on Friday, Reuters reported, quoting Refinitiv ship-tracking data and trade sources, in what would be the first Chinese import of American crude oil in months.
    The Aframax tanker the Kara Sea is discharging the light crude Eagle Ford in the Chinese port, after the U.S.-origin oil had been transferred to the Kara Sea tanker from supertanker Olympic Luck, Refinitiv analyst Emma Li told Reuters.
    The Kara Sea has been chartered by BP and the receiver of the Eagle Ford crude is independent Chinese refiner Hongrun Petrochemical based in the Shandong province, Refinitiv’s analyst said.
    According to Reuters, the cargo of Eagle Ford will likely be included in China’s February import volumes by the Chinese customs.
    Other ship-tracking data suggest that U.S. crude oil appears to be heading to China after many months of China abstaining from buying American oil amid the trade dispute, despite the fact that crude oil is not on Beijing’s tariff list.
    China could soon import crude oil directly shipped from the United States, CNBC reported earlier this week, citing tanker-tracking data from ClipperData.

More at: https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...In-Months.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks Obama. (He did one thing right. )

I hope you posted this as an example of how the tariffs are hurting America.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    I hope you posted this as an example of how the tariffs are hurting America.
    LOL

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

While a few will blame the total and utter collapse in China exports in February on the lunar new year's early date this year, the scale of the miss is simply stunning.

For a few brief seconds, everything was awesome as Bloomberg's initial headline proclaimed a big RISE in exports, but they quickly corrected - causing heart attacks across every tape-reading algo in the world...
    This is how you blow up a few million worth of algo servers:

CHINA FEB. EXPORTS RISE 16.6% Y/Y IN YUAN TERMS; EST. 6.6%

CORRECT: CHINA FEB. EXPORTS -16.6% Y/Y IN YUAN TERMS; EST. 6.6%
    — zerohedge (@zerohedge) March 8, 2019
    Exports plunged 20.7 percent in February while imports fell 5.2 percent, leaving a trade surplus of $4.12 billion, the customs administration said Friday.

Economists forecast both exports and imports would shrink, although not as much as the fall. The Lunar New Year break fell about 10 days earlier than last year, likely boosting January’s shipments and weighing on February’s.
    But Chinese imports from the US crashed the most on record...

In addition to the shutdown that happens each year, February was an uncertain period for Chinese exporters, with negotiations through the month on whether the U.S. would raise tariffs from March 1.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...injection-ever

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

On March 15, China's legislature passed a highly anticipated foreign investment law that will replace the existing three laws that govern foreign investment in the country. The law — which will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2020 — includes provisions to bar forced technological transfers, and emphasizes equal treatment for foreign investment and intellectual property protections. It also provides a mechanism to settle disputes by foreign investors. Furthermore, the legislation includes a measure that prohibits administrative staff from leaking "confidential information" — presumably an effort to address foreign investors' concerns over China's espionage practices. The new law does, however, leave ambiguity around the national security review process, which stipulates that the acquisition of Chinese companies by foreign investors are subject to Beijing's anti-monopoly law.

Despite its intent, ambiguities within the law leave room for controversy. Given Beijing's vague jurisdiction of national security and weak judicial independence, Chinese authorities have ample ability to restrict foreign investments.

But the biggest challenge will be actually implementing and enforcing the law — especially at the subnational level. Although the law emphasizes local responsibilities and stipulates broad punitive mechanisms, the provisions outlining regulatory jurisdictions, authorities and supervisory mechanisms for local governments' remain either vague or absent. Legal experts believe that local-level regulations and guidance for application will be followed, but significant loopholes remain. And then there is the questions of supervision, enforcement and judicial mechanisms to regulate local compliance on key issues. And because many of the obstacles to foreign investment go beyond the judicial aspect, the actual power of the law itself is limited.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/artic...ase-us-demands

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump Says "Tariffs Will Stay On"

"tariffs could be left on China for a long period of time, until China complies with the deal."

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...iffs-will-stay

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast