Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1140

Thread: Boom. You can't out tariff us. Period. This Trump knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Note that there is a coma after "Taxes", not a colon. That means Congress shall have the Power to lay and collect "Taxes and Duties and Imposts and Excises".
    If congressional power to impose any tax, of any kind, was absolute, why did it take a constitutional amendment to impose income taxation?
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In December, they bought 13 million metric tons of soybeans. Then Trump added tariffs and they ended purchases. This is a drop in the bucket from what they bought before the trade war- only 200,000 metric tons a month.

https://moneyandmarkets.com/china-ha...hase-soybeans/
    They don't need nearly so many soybeans now that most of their pigs are dead and we can sell to other buyers.
    The point is that they are getting desperate enough to back off and start buying from us again while we are doing just fine.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Chicago Board of Trade soybean futures have been rising for the past 14 days, a total of +6.64%, on reports, China is granting new waivers to several domestic state and private companies to purchase U.S. soybeans without being subject to tariffs, according to Bloomberg. The companies received waivers for between 2 million to 3 million tons, sources told Bloomberg. Collectively, these firms bought 20 cargoes, or about 1.2 million ton of the soybeans from the U.S. Pacific Northwest on Monday.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...art-next-month

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

China said Thursday it has purchased a “considerable” amount of U.S. soybeans and pork ahead of the next round of trade talks in Washington.
    Ministry of Commerce spokesperson Gao Feng said at a press conference that the U.S. and China are maintaining “close communication” in preparation for the negotiations next month. He confirmed China has resumed its purchase of American farm goods and said the tariffs on those orders will be exempted.

More at: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/26/chin...-products.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    China said Thursday it has purchased a “considerable” amount of U.S. soybeans and pork ahead of the next round of trade talks in Washington.
    Ministry of Commerce spokesperson Gao Feng said at a press conference that the U.S. and China are maintaining “close communication” in preparation for the negotiations next month. He confirmed China has resumed its purchase of American farm goods and said the tariffs on those orders will be exempted.

More at: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/26/chin...-products.html
    Subsidies and sales? Must be nice to make sales and get bailed out by taxpayers at the same time.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Subsidies and sales? Must be nice to make sales and get bailed out by taxpayers at the same time.
    It's almost as nice as getting subsidized goods from China while getting welfare after the Chinese put you out of a job.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's almost as nice as getting subsidized goods from China while getting welfare after the Chinese put you out of a job.
    It probably is. Shame most of us that foot the bills don't benefit from either scenario. I doubt anyone on RPF is receiving welfare payments or taxpayer bailouts. I'm sure we have a few on the govt tit in other ways, however...

Where do I sign up to make sales as usual and still get giant taxpayer funded handouts? Or does that double-dipping only apply to farm belt voters and corporations?

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

It probably is. Shame most of us that foot the bills don't benefit from either scenario. I doubt anyone on RPF is receiving welfare payments or taxpayer bailouts. I'm sure we have a few on the govt tit in other ways, however...

Where do I sign up to make sales as usual and still get giant taxpayer funded handouts? Or does that double-dipping only apply to farm belt voters and corporations?
    We should oppose the bailouts and welfare for anyone, but letting China turn us into a giant welfare plantation is not an option.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Excluding food and energy, producer prices decreased 0.3% in September from the prior month, compared with forecasts for a 0.2% increase.
    Both headline and core PPI saw notable YoY slowdowns (although core PPI is at 2.0% or above for the 27th month in a row)...

Under the hood is a sea of deflation...

The cost of goods fell 0.4% after dropping 0.5% the previous month.
    Nearly half of the September decline in prices for final demand services can be traced to the index for machinery and vehicle wholesaling, which fell 2.7 percent. The indexes for automotive fuels and lubricants retailing; apparel, jewelry, footwear, and accessories retailing; airline passenger services; gaming receipts (partial); and professional and commercial equipment wholesaling also moved lower. Conversely, prices for hospital outpatient care rose 1.1 percent.
    Three-fourths of the September decrease in the index for final demand goods can be traced to prices for gasoline, which fell 7.2 percent. The indexes for electric power, iron and steel scrap, basic organic chemicals, fresh and dry vegetables, and light motor trucks also moved lower. Conversely, prices for meats rose 1.9 percent.
    Theoretically, this provides Powell with some more ammo for cutting rates BUT we note that despite all the mainstream media screaming over tariff-driven price surges crushing the consumer - there is no evidence of it at all.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/...gest-drop-2015

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Excluding food and energy, producer prices decreased 0.3% in September from the prior month, compared with forecasts for a 0.2% increase.
    Both headline and core PPI saw notable YoY slowdowns (although core PPI is at 2.0% or above for the 27th month in a row)...

Under the hood is a sea of deflation...

The cost of goods fell 0.4% after dropping 0.5% the previous month.
    Nearly half of the September decline in prices for final demand services can be traced to the index for machinery and vehicle wholesaling, which fell 2.7 percent. The indexes for automotive fuels and lubricants retailing; apparel, jewelry, footwear, and accessories retailing; airline passenger services; gaming receipts (partial); and professional and commercial equipment wholesaling also moved lower. Conversely, prices for hospital outpatient care rose 1.1 percent.
    Three-fourths of the September decrease in the index for final demand goods can be traced to prices for gasoline, which fell 7.2 percent. The indexes for electric power, iron and steel scrap, basic organic chemicals, fresh and dry vegetables, and light motor trucks also moved lower. Conversely, prices for meats rose 1.9 percent.
    Theoretically, this provides Powell with some more ammo for cutting rates BUT we note that despite all the mainstream media screaming over tariff-driven price surges crushing the consumer - there is no evidence of it at all.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/...gest-drop-2015
    STILL not out tariffed. And none of the 'doom and gloom' scenarios have come to fruition. Lol.

In a time when China is losing between a third and half of its pig herds as a result of the unprecedented decimation unleashed by African swine fever - less affectionately known as pig ebola - which has sent wholesale pork prices in China soaring to all time highs...

... and prompted local farmers to breed pigs the size of polar bears...

... China is increasingly finding itself at America's mercy.
    As Bloomberg reports, as China's hog herd is collapsing, Beijing's imports of U.S. pork exploded to a weekly record.
    According to USDA data, in the week ended Oct. 3, pig imports soared to 142,200 metric tons, more than 7 times greater than September's total shipments of 19,900 tons.

China signaled it may import as much as 400,000 tons to stem a domestic shortfall, and it now appears that the US may be the easiest source of said pigs, which needless to say grants the US substantial leverage in the ongoing trade talks. The swine fever outbreak killed millions of pigs. The country also appeared poised to boost purchases of agriculture products as a good-will gesture before talks between Washington and Beijing on easing trade tensions.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ch...ces-pig-crisis

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Remember all that talk about China buying 50billion in soybeans? I know this will be shocking but that was......

FAKE NEWS

China buying Brazil's soybeans out-of-season, not American soybeans
    https://www.zerohedge.com/commoditie...us-trade-talks

Chinese state-owned firms COFCO and Sinograin, which are exempt from US tariffs, have no intention of purchasing US soybeans unless spot prices drop, said one of the exporters.

After the Trump administration spent several weeks pumping the stock market on headlines describing China repurchasing soybeans, White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow on Thursday finally admitted that for China to buy $50 billion worth of US agriculture good, it would depend on spot prices.

On Tuesday, China said that it would struggle to buy $50 billion of US agriculture products if the Trump administration doesn't remove retaliatory tariffs on some products. Something that President Trump cannot afford to do because it would allow China to continue its ascension as a global superpower.

Remember all that talk about China buying 50billion in soybeans? I know this will be shocking but that was......

FAKE NEWS

China buying Brazil's soybeans out-of-season, not American soybeans
    https://www.zerohedge.com/commoditie...us-trade-talks
    It's just their attempt to get us to keep letting them rob us, they are choosing self destruction over playing fair.
    We will be fine without them, they will collapse without us, that's always the way it is with a parasite and its host.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Looks like what's really happening is that China isn't buying American soybeans, the Trump administration is simply lying to keep markets afloat and voters subdued, while small farmers are going bankrupt from lack of sales and no bailouts. The Feds are passing out the billions in bailout money to the factory corporate farms, who are in turn using that bailout money to buy up those neighboring small distressed farms.

Eventually, the production of much of these factory corporate farms will be sent to China to feed their populations, while American's food prices continue to rise due to dollar devaluation and emerging food scarcity. The small farmer, by then, will have been squeezed out entirely. #MAGA?

Looks like what's really happening is that China isn't buying American soybeans, the Trump administration is simply lying to keep markets afloat and voters subdued, while small farmers are going bankrupt from lack of sales and no bailouts. The Feds are passing out the billions in bailout money to the factory corporate farms, who are in turn using that bailout money to buy up those neighboring small distressed farms.

Eventually, the production of much of these factory corporate farms will be sent to China to feed their populations, while American's food prices continue to rise due to dollar devaluation and emerging food scarcity. The small farmer, by then, will have been squeezed out entirely. #MAGA?
    LOL

The Chinese lie and it's Trump's fault?

Farms are doing just fine, soybean prices are typical and any trouble some farms may be having is due to other factors.
    And the damage the Chinese were doing to the rest of our economy was far worse than anything the farms may experience from China trying to blackmail us into continuing the status quo that allows them to rob us blind.

China is destroying itself and America will only get better as we reverse the destruction caused by years of allowing them to prey on us.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It still apparently hasn't sunk in yet to most that all of this is about managing the unwinding of the global dollar reserve standard. The bankers that surround Trump will NEVER outright state (or let him state it, assuming he even knows) this fact. Dollar recycling through China, Saudi petrodollar, etc. Until one accepts that these are all various cover stories, symptoms and outright FAKE NEWS lies, to veil the global banker's intentional unwinding of the global dollar, they will remain reactionary, easily led by media and pretty much clueless to what's really going on.

It still apparently hasn't sunk in yet to most that all of this is about managing the unwinding of the global dollar reserve standard. The bankers that surround Trump will NEVER outright state (or let him state it, assuming he even knows) this fact. Dollar recycling through China, Saudi petrodollar, etc. Until one accepts that these are all various cover stories, symptoms and outright FAKE NEWS lies, to veil the global banker's intentional unwinding of the global dollar, they will remain reactionary, easily led by media and pretty much clueless to what's really going on.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Is the Trump trade war finally working?
    The US trade balance (deficit) shrank in September (from -$55.0bn to -$52.5bn), improving by 6.5% YoY - the biggest shrinkage in the deficit since Sept 2016...

Overall exports decreased 0.9% to $206 billion while imports slid 1.7% to $258.4 billion.
    Trade with China has tumbled since the tariff war began in earnest in 2018. In the first nine months of 2019, merchandise imports from China are down 13.5% and exports to the country have dropped 14.6%, according to Commerce Department data.
    The trade balance with China improved sequentially for the second month in a row, and has improved YoY for nine months in a row...

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/...-trade-tumbles

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Following yesterday's mixed picture for consumer prices, producer prices are expected to rebound from September's shocking plunge and it did, beating expectations of a 0.3% MoM jump (but year-over-year growth in PPI slipped to +1.1% - the lowest since September 2016).

A major factor in the advance in the index for final demand services were margins for apparel, jewelry, footwear, and accessories retailing, which rose 2.6 percent. The indexes for outpatient care (partial), inpatient care, food wholesaling, food and alcohol retailing, and truck transportation of freight also moved higher.

In contrast, prices for securities brokerage, dealing, investment advice, and related services dropped 8.4 percent as they introduced zero-fees/commission...

Additionally, prices for iron and steel scrap fell 15.7 percent. The indexes for chicken eggs and passenger cars also declined.

Core PPI rose 0.3% MoM but also slipped on a YoY basis to its coldest since March 2017...

Once again, Trump's tariffs have done nothing to drive prices higher as every establishment economist decried.

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/...eakest-3-years

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

President Donald Trump collected a win in the ongoing trade war with China on Thursday as the communist nation announced that it was lifting a five-year ban on U.S. poultry effective immediately.
    “The decision out of Beijing is effective immediately and the announcement sent shares of major U.S. chicken processers, Sanderson Farms, Tyson Foods and Pilgrim’s Pride to new highs for the year Thursday,” The Associated Press reported. “The Chinese market looks especially promising for U.S. poultry producers because an outbreak of African swine fever has devastated a competing protein in China: pork.”

More at: https://www.dailywire.com/news/trump...ar-with-china/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Walmart announces great numbers. No impact from Tariffs (which are contributing $Billions to our Treasury). Inflation low (do you hear that Powell?)!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 14, 2019

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Trump administration declared another victory for U.S. farmers Thursday as it worked to convince Brazil to implement an annual duty-free tariff quote for wheat.
    A tariff rate quota is a mechanism that countries use to agree to provide minimum import opportunities for products previously protected by non-tariff barriers. Under the system, imports within the quota are subject to lower tariff rates —or no duties — while higher rates are implemented above the concessionary level.
    U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue said Brazil will import 750,000 metric tons of U.S. wheat duty-free, before the tariffs kick in, which are typically imposed at a rate of 10 percent.

“We are excited about the additional export opportunity U.S. wheat farmers will have with the opening of this TRQ,” Perdue said in a statement referring to tariff rate quotas. “Exports are critical to the success of our farmers and the United States looks forward to once again having stable access to this important wheat market.”

Brazil had committed to implementing the quota for wheat imports when it became a member of the World Trade Organization in 1994. According to the administration, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro promised Trump earlier this year that he would implement the quota.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/wheat-exports...003834339.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Walmart announces great numbers. No impact from Tariffs (which are contributing $Billions to our Treasury). Inflation low (do you hear that Powell?)!
    Billions collected from US companies and consumers.

Yay! Higher taxes! More winning!
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-16-2019 at 12:54 PM.

The Trump administration declared another victory for U.S. farmers Thursday as it worked to convince Brazil to implement an annual duty-free tariff quote for wheat.
    A tariff rate quota is a mechanism that countries use to agree to provide minimum import opportunities for products previously protected by non-tariff barriers. Under the system, imports within the quota are subject to lower tariff rates —or no duties — while higher rates are implemented above the concessionary level.
    U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue said Brazil will import 750,000 metric tons of U.S. wheat duty-free, before the tariffs kick in, which are typically imposed at a rate of 10 percent.

“We are excited about the additional export opportunity U.S. wheat farmers will have with the opening of this TRQ,” Perdue said in a statement referring to tariff rate quotas. “Exports are critical to the success of our farmers and the United States looks forward to once again having stable access to this important wheat market.”

Brazil had committed to implementing the quota for wheat imports when it became a member of the World Trade Organization in 1994. According to the administration, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro promised Trump earlier this year that he would implement the quota.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/wheat-exports...003834339.html
    Actually the quota is for all wheat from outside Brazil- not just the US. Countries it may help include the US, Russia, and Canada which would all share portions of the duty free quota.. Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay are in a treaty group which is already exempt from the 10% tariff. They import about seven million tonnes a year so this would only affect about ten percent of imports.

https://www.reuters.com/article/braz...-idUSL2N26E0J1

SAO PAULO, Sept 23 (Reuters) - Brazil plans to introduce a 750,000-tonne tariff-free quota for wheat imports from countries outside of the South American Mercosur trade bloc in November, a government official said on Monday.

Flavio Bettarello, the agriculture ministry’s assistant secretary for trade and foreign relations, told an industry conference that enforcing the new tariff-free quota could help Brazil add new suppliers, including the United States and Russia.
    “Millers require we are open to world markets to get the best wheat at the best cost possible,” Eduardo Assencio, Abitrigo general superintendent, said on the sidelines of the conference.

Brazil currently levies a 10% tariff on all wheat imports from outside Mercosur, which also includes Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.
    Brazilian wheat millers visited Russia recently to get to know that wheat better.

But they are working to clear a restriction imposed by the Brazilian government for the Russian wheat, one that states the product must be processed at mills located near ports.

https://www.capitalpress.com/ag_sect...94ed9be4d.html

In some years, Brazil has imported as little as 115,000 metric tons of U.S. hard red winter and soft red winter wheat.

Brazil does not purchase soft white wheat from the Pacific Northwest. Freight distances and rates from the region to the East Coast of South America are prohibitive, Mercer said.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-16-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Billions collected from US companies and consumers.

Yay! Higher taxes! More winning!
    The Chinese trade warfare is being neutralized and the market restored to its natural state.
    And you are the one who always complains about tax cuts..............................except when it comes to the best kind of taxes (tariffs) that also are defending against enemy economic warfare.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Walmart's great numbers are because of higher prices. More revenue+stock buybacks=higher EPS price beats and revenue beats.

Walmart already admitted that to offset sticker-shock price increases in some goods they have raised prices on other goods, mainly low priced but high volume items like food items, so that the price increase impact is felt less on an individual customer basis. IOW, spread out the overall increases wider and smaller....mile wide but an inch deep. The gross overall increase in prices is still reported in Walmart's top and bottom line numbers. I buy a few food items at Walmart and have observed what they're doing. High volume, low priced items like Gatorade, cheese, yogurt, etc were price hiked about 25% over the last year.
    Last edited by devil21; 11-17-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Great work Trump. So much winning.

Walmart's great numbers are because of higher prices. More revenue+stock buybacks=higher EPS price beats and revenue beats.

Walmart already admitted that to offset sticker-shock price increases in some goods they have raised prices on other goods, mainly low priced but high volume items like food items, so that the price increase impact is felt less on an individual customer basis. IOW, spread out the overall increases wider and smaller....mile wide but an inch deep. The gross overall increase in prices is still reported in Walmart's top and bottom line numbers. I buy a few food items at Walmart and have observed what they're doing. High volume, low priced items like Gatorade, cheese, yogurt, etc were price hiked about 25% over the last year.
    NPR wanted to find that but they ended up debunking it, don't you remember?

Staffers from NPR (National Public Radio) went shopping at Walmart to confirm that Trump’s tariffs are already costing American consumers a lot of money. They couldn’t hide the results: The impact is hardly noticeable.
    In announcing the results of a year-long study of prices at a local Walmart, NPR boldly announced: “Shoppers beware: the tariffs will bite.” The bite turned out to be a nibble.
    In August 2018, NPR staffers began tracking the prices on some 70 items at a Walmart store in Liberty County, Georgia, ranging from toilet paper and black beans to lightbulbs and TVs. They learned that of those 70 common everyday items, only 24 of them saw increased prices, while 12 of them saw decreased prices, and the remaining 34 had no price changes.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/econo...s-big-surprise

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast