Thread: Pay up or shut up. Trumps right about NATO. Rand and Lee agree.

Pay up or shut up. Trumps right about NATO. Rand and Lee agree.

Senate takes swipe at Trump with pro-NATO vote
    Ted Barrett-Profile-Image
    By Ted Barrett, CNN

(CNN)The Senate took a bipartisan swipe at President Donald Trump on Tuesday when it overwhelmingly approved a motion of support for NATO.

The 97-2 vote reflects the broad concerns on Capitol Hill over Trump's seeming ambivalence about the alliance and his commitment to it.

The vote came the same day Trump arrived in Brussels, Belgium, for a summit of NATO nations and shortly before he heads to Helsinki, Finland, for a one-on-one session with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Before he landed in Brussels, Trump tweeted some of his concerns about NATO:

"Many countries in NATO, which we are expected to defend, are not only short of their current commitment of 2% (which is low), but are also delinquent for many years in payments that have not been made. Will they reimburse the U.S.?"

Sen. Jack Reed, the Rhode Island Democrat who authored the nonbinding motion, spoke on the Senate floor.

"No one should ever doubt the United States' resolve in meeting its commitments to the mutual defense of the NATO alliance," Reed said.

"Unfortunately, this motion has become necessary because some of our closest allies have come to question the US commitment to collective self-defense. President Trump has at times called the alliance 'obsolete.' Our allies are starting to wonder whether they can rely on the United States to come to their defense in a crisis."

In an interview on CNN, Sen. John Thune of South Dakota, the third-ranking Senate GOP leader, explained why the motion was needed.
    "I think it is important that we demonstrate a strong commitment to the NATO alliance," Thune said. "I mean this is something that has served freedom-loving countries well for half a century."

The motion also called on the administration to "urgently prioritize the completion of a comprehensive, whole-of-government strategy to counter malign activities of Russia that seek to undermine faith in democratic institutions in the United States and around the world."

Critics have repeatedly accused Trump of being too close to Putin and not responsive to evidence of meddling by Russia in the last US presidential election.

Two GOP senators, Mike Lee of Utah and Rand Paul of Kentucky, voted against the measure.

"Why is the U.S. Senate pushing to expand NATO when most of them aren't even paying their fair share? I stand with @realDonaldTrump," Paul said in a tweet.

Lee's office did not immediately respond to a request for an explanation why the Utah senator voted against the measure.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/10/polit...ump/index.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Will this be a repeat of the G& week where Trump goes to Europe, criticizes countries which help support the US and then fly off and be buddy buddy for a photo op with another dictator? (yeah- Putin was elected but he got to choose his own opposition so it doesn't count) He likes authoritarians.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Will this be a repeat of the G& week where Trump goes to Europe, criticizes countries which help support the US and then fly off and be buddy buddy for a photo op with another dictator? (yeah- Putin was elected but he got to choose his own opposition so it doesn't count) He likes authoritarians.
    "Help support the US" LOL.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Will it? We don't know, do we? But, This thread ISN'T about Trump. It's about the Senate and their support of NATO. Thanks for playing Zippy.

The US should not be paying for any NATO or UN .None . It provides no benefit to the american taxpayer.
    Do something Danke

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

The senate may as well be a foreign body. Scumbag Vichy politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    The US should not be paying for any NATO or UN .None . It provides no benefit to the american taxpayer.
    Pretty sure "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations-entangling alliances with none." Doesn't translate to, "We'll pay for YOUR national security."

Why do we need NATO when we have more in common with the Russians as opposed to the Western Europeans?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Why do we need NATO when we have more in common with the Russians as opposed to the Western Europeans?
    To keep us from realizing that?
    Also to bleed us dry.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    To keep us from realizing that?
    Also to bleed us dry.
    I didn't know that NATO controlled military spending and American foreign policy. This is news to me, I always assumed that the only reason why NATO doesn't pay up is because we do, that if we weren't policing the world the world wouldn't feel so safe that they don't spend anything on their defense.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    I didn't know that NATO controlled military spending and American foreign policy. This is news to me, I always assumed that the only reason why NATO doesn't pay up is because we do, that if we weren't policing the world the world wouldn't feel so safe that they don't spend anything on their defense.
    NATO is used as an excuse to keep us policing the world, it is time we shed the "obligation".

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The MIC will never let Trump and Putin unite as fraternal nations. They need boogeymen for their warfare state.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    NATO is used as an excuse to keep us policing the world, it is time we shed the "obligation".
    Somehow I don't think that will do anything to decrease military spending. Somehow I think all it would do is make a power vacuum that the MIC would love to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Somehow I don't think that will do anything to decrease military spending. Somehow I think all it would do is make a power vacuum that the MIC would love to fill.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I was listening to the radio this afternoon and Kay Bailey Hutchison (Ambassador to NATO) was on there spewing her anti Russia and pro NATO talking point. I can never understand why the man surrounds him to globalists and neocons

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I was listening to the radio this afternoon and Kay Bailey Hutchison (Ambassador to NATO) was on there spewing her anti Russia and pro NATO talking point. I can never understand why the man surrounds him to globalists and neocons
    You got to think of the brainwashing from other peoples perspective. Think about other people especially younger, where all they know is the narrative that they have been perpetuating. I can only imagine that the low information voter probably thinks Russia is hiding under their bed instead of ISIS anymore.

Two Senators. The only ones that aren't part of the machine.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Pathetic desperation.

Time to get the US out of NATO.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Pathetic desperation.

Oh, that is just so pathetic. Lol. The fun never stops.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    There is an old proverb: "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Time to get the US out of NATO.
    Yes
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So. Much. Winning.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV